Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #286
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
Just one more thing. It is funny you should expect the EA to be busy on the day before a holiday, it was anything but. Keep in mind that Enterprise, National and Alamo all draw from the same pool of cars. Both Alamo and Enterprise were very busy on that day, but, not National.
Business travelers stayed home
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #287
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Business travelers stayed home
Yes yes they did, it was a holiday for me.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #288
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

I am overlooking the aisles on B side right now.
On the EA: Altima 2 door coupe, Kia, Altima 4 door, Impala LT, Malibu, Altima, Malibu, Malibu, Altima (all 4 doors, except for the coupe).
That is as far as I can see from the booth.
Exec.: Avalon, Avalon, Camaro, Avalon, 2013 Mustang, Impala LTZ, 2013 Mustang, Chrysler 200 Convert. Camaro, camaro.
NO MINI VANS and NO SUVs.
It is also very quiet on the National side. Can you tell I am bored?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #289
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1
I am overlooking the aisles on B side right now.
On the EA: Altima 2 door coupe, Kia, Altima 4 door, Impala LT, Malibu, Altima, Malibu, Malibu, Altima (all 4 doors, except for the coupe).
Exec.: Avalon, Avalon, Camaro, Avalon, 2013 Mustang, Impala LTZ, 2013 Mustang, Chrysler 200 Convert. Camaro, camaro.
NO MINI VANS and NO SUVs.
It is also very quiet on the National side. Can you tell I am bored?
Thanks for the info! Hope the exec aisle looks that good when we arrive in Oct!
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #290
tammydel
A true blue DISer!

Quote:
I have yet to see a day when all we have on the EA are midsize cars. We generally have full size and a few midsize. We always seem to have Impalas and if you don't see on on the aisle, just ask the friendly greeter.
Thanks for the advice!
I realized that not knowing for sure what type of vehicle we would get was going to worry me too much. I would feel uncomfortable asking for the full size when I know I am only guaranteed the midsize.
After talking it over with my husband we decided just to book something we would be sure to be comfortable in. We booked the Standard SUV which gives the example of Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm sure this will work.

Is that the only vehicle type in its class or are there others? Not worried anymore, just curious.....

Tammy
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #291
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydel View Post
Thanks for the advice!
I realized that not knowing for sure what type of vehicle we would get was going to worry me too much. I would feel uncomfortable asking for the full size when I know I am only guaranteed the midsize.
After talking it over with my husband we decided just to book something we would be sure to be comfortable in. We booked the Standard SUV which gives the example of Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm sure this will work.

Is that the only vehicle type in its class or are there others? Not worried anymore, just curious.....

Tammy
Standard SUV: Kia Sorrento, Ford Explorer or Edge, Dodge Journey, Nissan Murano, Mazda CX7 to name a few.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #292
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayGan View Post
Thanks for the info! Hope the exec aisle looks that good when we arrive in Oct!
You are welcome. I hope it looks that good for you also, but, no guarantees.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #293
tammydel
A true blue DISer!

Quote:
Standard SUV: Kia Sorrento, Ford Explorer or Edge, Dodge Journey, Nissan Murano, Mazda CX7 to name a few.
Awesome, now I can look at some pictures of each car online and not have to run down the aisle peeking at each backseat and trunk.

You've saved my family a little embarrassment!

We arrive Tuesday, landing at 11:30 am via Jetblue. Thanks again for your help!!!

Tammy
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #294
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Awesome, now I can look at some pictures of each car online and not have to run down the aisle peeking at each backseat and trunk.

We arrive Tuesday, landing at 11:30 am via Jetblue. Thanks again for your help!!!

Tammy
Tammy,

There's no embarrassment in running up and down the aisles. I see grown men in thousand dollar suits doing it ALL the time... They RUN to the cars they want or RUN up and down the aisle to make sure they get their first choice.

It's actually much worse at other airports where you have to shuttle to the car locations. I swear in LA they FIGHT to get off the bus first and then would knock down thier own Grandmother to be the first to the aisle.

There's no reason anyone on here should be embarassed to examine the cars etc... it's part of the National experience
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #295
HayGan

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Tammy,

There's no embarrassment in running up and down the aisles. I see grown men in thousand dollar suits doing it ALL the time... They RUN to the cars they want or RUN up and down the aisle to make sure they get their first choice.

It's actually much worse at other airports where you have to shuttle to the car locations. I swear in LA they FIGHT to get off the bus first and then would knock down thier own Grandmother to be the first to the aisle.

There's no reason anyone on here should be embarassed to examine the cars etc... it's part of the National experience
It is actually quite funny to watch how some business travelers act in the Emerald Aisle. There are very few cars I don't really want to get so I don't make the mad dash for the aisle when I travel.
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #296
Bordassi
Earning My Ears

National at JFK

Dear friends,

We will be arriving at JFK in about 2.5 weeks time; 2 adults and 3 minors (ages 6, 5, 1) after a long 12 hour transatlantic flight for a 2 week vacation in NY.

As an Executive member I decided to rely on the Exec car fleet, hoping to find something large enough to fit my family + luggage & stroller.

Having read some more posts, I am getting doubtful as to whether the exec aisle fleet will suffice. However, the difference between the midsize rate ($650 all inclusive for 2 weeks) and a minivan or standard SUV is significant (~$500 more).

We are arriving on a Thursday at 10pm. Does that increase our chances to find an SUV / Minivan among the exec aisle vehicles? I did post a similar question a while ago, but thinking perhaps at JFK I have better chances. Also, do I need a van/SUV??

I know - I probably shouldn't be so cheap and just reserve what I need, but with a total vacation cost of nearly $15K, I'm trying to cut cost wherever possible...

Please help me making the right decision..

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Last edited by Bordassi; 07-09-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Bordassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #297
HayGan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordassi View Post
Dear friends,

We will be arriving at JFK in about 2.5 weeks time; 2 adults and 3 minors (ages 6, 5, 1) after a long 12 hour transatlantic flight for a 2 week vacation in NY.

As an Executive member I decided to rely on the Exec car fleet, hoping to find something large enough to fit my family + luggage & stroller.

Having read some more posts, I am getting doubtful as to whether the exec aisle fleet will suffice. However, the difference between the midsize rate ($650 all inclusive for 2 weeks) and a minivan or standard SUV is significant (~$500 more).

We are arriving on a Thursday at 10pm. Does that increase our chances to find an SUV / Minivan among the exec aisle vehicles? I did post a similar question a while ago, but thinking perhaps at JFK I have better chances. Also, do I need a van/SUV??

I know - I probably shouldn't be so cheap and just reserve what I need, but with a total vacation cost of nearly $15K, I'm trying to cut cost wherever possible...

Please help me making the right decision..

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Given the ages of your children you will almost certainly need an SUV or minivan to accomate their three car seats (I'm assuming you have at least booster seats for the 2 older ones as they still should be in one.)

Also, the vehicles found on any Exec aisle can really vary at any airport. I would never count on there being a SUV or minivan available. (For instance, on my recent trips to Newark, only sedans have been available.) I would really go ahead and book the size you need. Check out Mousesavers.com's rental car section for codes that can be used for different rental car companies.

Also, I know when you are a loyal member of a rental car company that is hard to even consider renting from someone else. You may want to consider checking out the rates of other companies such as Alamo or Enterprise (Enterprise can earn you points on Emerald Club as well sometimes) to see if you can get a better rate to keep your costs down.
Next up:
Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #298
Bordassi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Given the ages of your children you will almost certainly need an SUV or minivan to accomate their three car seats (I'm assuming you have at least booster seats for the 2 older ones as they still should be in one.)

Also, the vehicles found on any Exec aisle can really vary at any airport. I would never count on there being a SUV or minivan available. (For instance, on my recent trips to Newark, only sedans have been available.) I would really go ahead and book the size you need. Check out Mousesavers.com's rental car section for codes that can be used for different rental car companies.

Also, I know when you are a loyal member of a rental car company that is hard to even consider renting from someone else. You may want to consider checking out the rates of other companies such as Alamo or Enterprise (Enterprise can earn you points on Emerald Club as well sometimes) to see if you can get a better rate to keep your costs down.
I appreciate your response. I'll check on mousesavers.
Bordassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #299
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is actually quite funny to watch how some business travelers act in the Emerald Aisle. There are very few cars I don't really want to get so I don't make the mad dash for the aisle when I travel.
It is funny to watch, for sure, however, the "funny" goes away when you have to deal with some of them. Rude and nasty is not fun.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #300
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Tammy
You are most welcome.
I would not feel embarrassed at all. I recently had one woman who literally sniffed every single car on both the EA and Exec. aisle.
The business travelers are in such a hurry they (some) cannot respond to a "Hi, how are you" from the greeters, they block a car with their bags and then proceed to check out all the vehicles,some apparently think they are the only people on the aisle, or they ask for something they can clearly see is not there(IE: a BMW). Just take your time and if you want to peek in every trunk and backseat, go for it. If you don't see what you want, ask the greeter and they will try to find what you want (no guarantees).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: