Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
corster
Mouseketeer

Came in on the B-side, around 5:30 on December 27th... choice was Impala/Malibu/200/Camry/Altima... took a 2012 Altima. Dropped the car off at FLL.
corster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
jensen
DIS Veteran

I just asked this same question on the January thread, but I'll also ask here. Which reservation should I keep?

Alamo - Standard (Full Size) @ $88.83
or
National - Emerald Isle @ $103.51

Do you think it's worth an extra $15 to use Emerald Isle and the off-chance of getting something better than a full-size? We will be arriving at about 10PM on a Monday evening.
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Mighty Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
I just asked this same question on the January thread, but I'll also ask here. Which reservation should I keep?

Alamo - Standard (Full Size) @ $88.83
or
National - Emerald Isle @ $103.51

Do you think it's worth an extra $15 to use Emerald Isle and the off-chance of getting something better than a full-size? We will be arriving at about 10PM on a Monday evening.
That's tough. Personally I'm a National gal and always choose National, but for several reasons. #1 I like earning credits towards my free days -- those free days are great to use when you just need a car for one day; and #2 we are Executive aisle members and need to chalk up 40 rental days a year to maintain that status, so it's worth it to me. If the extra perks are not an issue, then I would go with Alamo. I love the excitement of arriving to the National aisle and getting to see what my options are...but again, we are Executive members so we do have better choices. We'll be there next Wednesday and I'll post back what I see on both aisles. I guess it depends whether you are willing to gamble the $15 dollars and hope for a better than full size car!

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran

n2mm, its probably crazy, but I always look forward to: what car will we get?, will we like it? We always try to get something I do not have, or probably would not consider owning. pt cruiser, suv's, eclipse convertible,..... then we rented a bug > and I bought one right after. Love love love that car. But, the unkown is exciting on vacations. Just like when you check in: even if you've been there before > where will we be, will we like the view, will the room be ok or have issues,,..... all exciting.

That is actually how we started this thread years ago: daydreaming about "what types of cars are available, what make?, what would we take out of that group..... just daydreaming. Even thou > there on some people always saying > that does not mean you will have the same offered> we know that just what if????

GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x26], YC [x3], BC [x6], BCV, AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
mkymouse4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse4ever View Post
n2mm, its probably crazy, but I always look forward to: what car will we get?, will we like it? We always try to get something I do not have, or probably would not consider owning. pt cruiser, suv's, eclipse convertible,..... then we rented a bug > and I bought one right after. Love love love that car. But, the unkown is exciting on vacations. Just like when you check in: even if you've been there before > where will we be, will we like the view, will the room be ok or have issues,,..... all exciting.

That is actually how we started this thread years ago: daydreaming about "what types of cars are available, what make?, what would we take out of that group..... just daydreaming. Even thou > there on some people always saying > that does not mean you will have the same offered> we know that just what if????
That is funny because that's how we are too. While getting our luggage we get so anxious to get over to the aisles to see what's there. We find ourselves walking so quickly from the luggage pickup to the aisles. Then we get excited to see something new and different, and then something else. It's tough making a decision sometimes. We have our favorites and yes, we tried alot of new things, which generally ended with, glad I didn't buy one of those. We loved the Suburban we got in August. We like getting the Edge when we see one of those too. Yep, same thing for the room, I wonder if I will get any of my requests (I seldom do), what view, what floor. We always find something positive about any room we get (so far -- I don't want to jinx myself for my checkin next week).

Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
That is funny because that's how we are too. While getting our luggage we get so anxious to get over to the aisles to see what's there. We find ourselves walking so quickly from the luggage pickup to the aisles. Then we get excited to see something new and different, and then something else. It's tough making a decision sometimes. We have our favorites and yes, we tried alot of new things, which generally ended with, glad I didn't buy one of those. We loved the Suburban we got in August. We like getting the Edge when we see one of those too. Yep, same thing for the room, I wonder if I will get any of my requests (I seldom do), what view, what floor. We always find something positive about any room we get (so far -- I don't want to jinx myself for my checkin next week).
mky

GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x26], YC [x3], BC [x6], BCV, AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
mkymouse4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
moobear67
Very blessed mom

Leaving in a little over a week. First time flying/renting a car there. Is it really that quick and easy? (Arrive with club membership/reservation in hand, pick out car, drive to exit to check out, drive away?)

Disneyland 1967, 1968, 1969
Disney World 1981, 1985, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2012
Disney Dream Cruise 2012
moobear67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobear67 View Post
Leaving in a little over a week. First time flying/renting a car there. Is it really that quick and easy? (Arrive with club membership/reservation in hand, pick out car, drive to exit to check out, drive away?)
It is pretty easy...I'm assuming we are talking about National. Keep in mind that you do need to select from the correct aisle. One side is the regular Emerald Aisle and the other side is the Executive Aisle. Check the signs to make sure you are choosing from the regular Emerald Aisle. Our last trip we were behind someone and had to back up to let them out once they got to the kiosk. We asked the attendant what happened and she said they choose from the Executive Aisle and was going to be charged the current price, so they decided to choose from the correct aisle that they had booked. They will give you a print out when you go through the kiosk, I always double check to make sure the price is what I have listed on my confirmation too.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #24
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it is that easy. To make it even easier and faster, bring the print out of your confirmation. It is also a good practice from your end, as it allows you to make sure the price is the same. Easier to fix errors up front than to fix them later.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #25
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
It is pretty easy...I'm assuming we are talking about National. Keep in mind that you do need to select from the correct aisle. One side is the regular Emerald Aisle and the other side is the Executive Aisle. Check the signs to make sure you are choosing from the regular Emerald Aisle. Our last trip we were behind someone and had to back up to let them out once they got to the kiosk. We asked the attendant what happened and she said they choose from the Executive Aisle and was going to be charged the current price, so they decided to choose from the correct aisle that they had booked. They will give you a print out when you go through the kiosk, I always double check to make sure the price is what I have listed on my confirmation too.
In truth, the exit agents have no way of knowing if you selected the car from the correct aisle, they do know, however, what cars should be on which aisles and what cars are rarely, if ever, are put there. But, during busy times, exceptions to every rule are made. If we have a question, we can call and ask the garage manager or customer service. Often EC members decide they are going to "upgrade" themselves and try to squeek by. They are then given the option of returning the car and selecting the appropriate one or paying the difference.
The exit agent was incorrect in telling you why that person had to back up, the reasons are/should be confidential. I NEVER give a reason why I had someone back up. It is, frankly, no one's business except the person backing up. When someone asks, rarely, I deflect the question and go on to something else.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
Sarahlovy
Mouseketeer

I got a Jeep compass on 1/1 on A side- other choices were a variety of sedans and a larger SUV- possibly a Durango?
Sarahlovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The only difficult thing we've encountered on the Emerald Aisle has been choosing which great car to take! (on our two trips we got a Dodge Nitro, awesome car, the first time, and a FABULOUS Durango the second time!)

Oh, and the sweating...it's like a steambath in that garage.

I'm so jealous I don't get the fun of the EA on our upcoming trip, b/c we're getting the car from the Dolphin! Wah!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #28
sdjen
DIS Veteran

I started another thread but then I saw this one and thought you might know

I have a reservation next month with National. I used airline miles and reserved a midsize SUV for free. I am wondering if I can use Emerald Aisle?

I would be okay with whatever car we get if it helps me avoid the lines inside the terminal. I would prefer an SUV but can make a smaller car work too.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
BrerMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjen View Post
I started another thread but then I saw this one and thought you might know

I have a reservation next month with National. I used airline miles and reserved a midsize SUV for free. I am wondering if I can use Emerald Aisle?

I would be okay with whatever car we get if it helps me avoid the lines inside the terminal. I would prefer an SUV but can make a smaller car work too.

Thanks!
Emerald Aisle can only be used if you book a midsize car. You will still get to pick any SUV in the SUV aisle.

You can check in at the kiosk and still bypass the counter (I think... not completely sure since you're using airline points).
May/June 2007 Port Orleans Riverside
May/June 2004 Port Orleans Riverside
December 2000 Walt Disney World Offsite
BrerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
The only difficult thing we've encountered on the Emerald Aisle has been choosing which great car to take! (on our two trips we got a Dodge Nitro, awesome car, the first time, and a FABULOUS Durango the second time!)

Oh, and the sweating...it's like a steambath in that garage.

I'm so jealous I don't get the fun of the EA on our upcoming trip, b/c we're getting the car from the Dolphin! Wah!
LOL, re: sweating. I worked in the garage from May to Nov. Steambath does not beging to describe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: