Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #241
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Qtz0205 View Post
I just priced out mid-sized rental cars for our December trip, and was dismayed to find that National's rates are much, much higher than other companies. I am an EA member (1st time), and from what I am reading, I should just keep checking for rate reductions? We are traveling the 7th-15th of December, not the highly busy Christmas week.
You are very early for booking a car. I would wait till about a month before your trip. Welcome to the Emerald Club!!!
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #242
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktita View Post
Thanks. That was my thought. I'm hoping i'll find something better. If not, I assume I could always get something bigger and pay the difference, worst case. I'm still up in the air about that or Luxury.
Yes, you can pay the difference between the midsize rate (which is what you pay with an EC reservation) and the class of car you finally select. All our full size cars hold 5 people and the trunk size will vary (the Impala has the largest trunk in the full size class). The main difference between the Full size, Premium and Luxury class are the features, NOT the size (as a general rule). IE: the Impala LTZ comes with leather interior, rear spoiler and sometimes a sun roof considered a full size car. The Infiniti G37 is considered a Luxury car, however it is smaller overall. I love the Infiniti, but, would I pay the large difference between that and the Impala LTZ........nope.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #243
Ktita
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
Yes, you can pay the difference between the midsize rate (which is what you pay with an EC reservation) and the class of car you finally select. All our full size cars hold 5 people and the trunk size will vary (the Impala has the largest trunk in the full size class). The main difference between the Full size, Premium and Luxury class are the features, NOT the size (as a general rule). IE: the Impala LTZ comes with leather interior, rear spoiler and sometimes a sun roof considered a full size car. The Infiniti G37 is considered a Luxury car, however it is smaller overall. I love the Infiniti, but, would I pay the large difference between that and the Impala LTZ........nope.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. If I end up with an Impala, that would be fine. I don't really need luxury, I just like nicer cars. But, for the extra money, it's not really worth it. I'll probably just keep my midsize EA and hope for Full Size.
Ktita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #244
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktita View Post
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. If I end up with an Impala, that would be fine. I don't really need luxury, I just like nicer cars. But, for the extra money, it's not really worth it. I'll probably just keep my midsize EA and hope for Full Size.
I have no doubt there will be full size cars on the EA. I have yet to see the EA NOT have plenty of them. You will probably see: Impalas, Altimas (sometimes they even have 2 door ones, sharp car),Malibus(considered full size and often with leather interiors) and Sonatas.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #245
Ktita
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
I have no doubt there will be full size cars on the EA. I have yet to see the EA NOT have plenty of them. You will probably see: Impalas, Altimas (sometimes they even have 2 door ones, sharp car),Malibus(considered full size and often with leather interiors) and Sonatas.
Perfect. That will do. It's just 2 of us and a 1 year old with a small stroller. No need for the bigger cars.

Thanks again. If you're there next fri morning, i'll say hello.
Ktita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #246
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktita View Post
Perfect. That will do. It's just 2 of us and a 1 year old with a small stroller. No need for the bigger cars.

Thanks again. If you're there next fri morning, i'll say hello.
It would be nice to say hello to you also, but, I work the swing shift. 3:30-11:30pm.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #247
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran
 
mkymouse4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Outside the windy city
Posts: 5,558

__________________


GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x26], YC [x3], BC [x6], AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
mkymouse4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #248
trish4bruce
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thunder Bay Canada
Posts: 197

We will be picking up our car at Sanford in July. I believe they do not have a Emerald Isle to chose from so do we go up to the counter and they will chose the car for us? We have a midsize SUV booked.
trish4bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #249
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish4bruce View Post
We will be picking up our car at Sanford in July. I believe they do not have a Emerald Isle to chose from so do we go up to the counter and they will chose the car for us? We have a midsize SUV booked.
Even if they had an EA to chose from, with your reservation (which is an Emerald Reserve) you would have gone to the SUV area, not the aisle. Your reservation should telll you what level of service you have. It should be on the left hand side of the page with instructions on where to go.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #250
mzspaz
Mouseketeer
 
mzspaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 249

What type of mid-size SUV's can we expect on the EA?

I'm torn between the mid-size car and mid-size SUV. DH is pushing for the mid SUV. I can go with either....I think. There are 3 of us (2 adults and 1 5 year old....although I do have a tendency to overpack )

Need this for early November.

Last time, when it was just DH and I, we reserved a mid-size car and ended up with a brand new impala that was super sweet!
__________________
Hoping for and planning a 2012 Disney Trip!
mzspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #251
skeeter31
Mouseketeer
 
skeeter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzspaz View Post
What type of mid-size SUV's can we expect on the EA?

I'm torn between the mid-size car and mid-size SUV. DH is pushing for the mid SUV. I can go with either....I think. There are 3 of us (2 adults and 1 5 year old....although I do have a tendency to overpack )

Need this for early November.

Last time, when it was just DH and I, we reserved a mid-size car and ended up with a brand new impala that was super sweet!
From what I've read on here...mainly from what gmeh1 has posted, there is no guarantee that you will get an SUV on the Emerald Aisle. You are only guaranteed a mid-size car, but will probably see some full-size cars there too.

If you really want the mid-size SUV, I would make sure to book it ahead of time either through National or Alamo to guarantee that's what you get.
__________________





Me DW Bella
skeeter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #252
mzspaz
Mouseketeer
 
mzspaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 249

Thanks Skeeter....I'm not a gambler so if I wanted to go with the mid-SUV I would specifically reserve that (I don't believe there is that much of a price difference between the 2).

Do they not offer the mid-suv's on the EA?

I've gone back about 5 pages in this to see the cars listed.....I would love to make it through the whole thread to see what had been out there this year but the gorgeous weather is pulling me outside
__________________
Hoping for and planning a 2012 Disney Trip!
mzspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #253
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzspaz View Post
Thanks Skeeter....I'm not a gambler so if I wanted to go with the mid-SUV I would specifically reserve that (I don't believe there is that much of a price difference between the 2).

Do they not offer the mid-suv's on the EA?

I've gone back about 5 pages in this to see the cars listed.....I would love to make it through the whole thread to see what had been out there this year but the gorgeous weather is pulling me outside
Mid Suv's are rarely on the EA. If you want a mid size SUV you need to specifically book one via Emerald Reserve. What you can expect on the EA is at least a mid size car, most of the time a full size car. On occasion something better. You pay the midsize price regardless of what is on the aisle. Emerald Executive can expect a full size. On occasion there is something better, again, you pay the midsize price. Emerald Elite, can expect a full size car, occasionally something better. They pay the midsize price. Elites, contrary to popular belief, CANNOT select anything they want from the garage, they are limited to the Exec (or EC) aisle. The details of the Emerald policy are detailed very well on their web site.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #254
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
From what I've read on here...mainly from what gmeh1 has posted, there is no guarantee that you will get an SUV on the Emerald Aisle. You are only guaranteed a mid-size car, but will probably see some full-size cars there too.

If you really want the mid-size SUV, I would make sure to book it ahead of time either through National or Alamo to guarantee that's what you get.
Thanks Skeeter, nice to see someone reads what I write.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #255
mzspaz
Mouseketeer
 
mzspaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 249

Thanks gmeh1!

I believe you did cover that information earlier in this thread, but I hadn't read that far back yet. I believe I am on page 9 now.

A midsize car would adequately meet our needs. So that is all that I want but DH saw the mid size SUV and was thinking of trying one out.

Since I am the one on the account, I think I'll just do the midsize on the EA and be happy with that or anything that we get. We will be arriving early evening in November, which I don't expect is a busy time.
__________________
Hoping for and planning a 2012 Disney Trip!
mzspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: