Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
wdisneyaholic
DIS Veteran

Ap?

Looking for some info on if APs will be a better option for my trip. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 boys ages 12, 11 and 11. Staying at YC for 11 nights in July with a AAA discounted reservation. My plan was just to buy a 9 day ticket with water park feature which would total $1,800. In researching the aps, looks like there are some added bonuses to getting an ap. My question is it says ap holders can get a discount on the dining plan of up to 30%. How would I know exactly what % it would be. Also, would everyone need an ap to get the dining plan and discount? I have never done the dining plan and really dont see the benefit at the current price, however, if it was 30% off it might be beneficial. But then I would have to add in the extra cash that I would have to pay to purchase the APs in the first place. So many decisions to make. Just want to make the best decisions. Looks like price for 5 APs would run $2,765. TIA
Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

generally speaking anything over ten nights and the AP pays for itself..

you also can buy the TiW card( 20% off EVERYTHING including alcohol at most TS and a few CS) to save money on food. there are also room rate discounts on occasion as well as merchandise discounts throughout the resort and DTD. the TiW is $75. for us, it pays for itself after one meal at a Signature.

most normal AP dining discounts is only 10% although a couple of restaurants offer 20%

the DP discounts are not always available, you'd have to check with Reservations to see if it is an option during your stay.
Mrsjvb is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

There is no AP discount on the dining plan, so you must have misread that (and I think the PP made a typo in saying the "DP" discounts are not always available - she meant the AP discounts).

As an AP holder, you can add the dining plans (paid) to your AP rate (or rack rate) room reservation though - you book an AP ticketless package and then you can get the DDP. It makes your reservation a package though with the same deposit & cancellation rules as all packages, whereas room-only reservations are more flexible.

We like APs for purchasing the TiW card as mentioned above.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
wdisneyaholic
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the responses. I was looking on all ears under the discounts for ap page and that is where it listed discount on the dining plan. I think maybe what I should do is just buy one ap hopefully they will have a discounted room rate for that time, then just purchase the TIW card. That will save some money being that we plan to eat at one sit down place a day. Looks like the places we plan to eat I could use that.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

There are many AP dining discounts on specific meals at specific restaurants, but not on the plan itself.
The TiW is great for discounts on TS meals.
Good Luck
Old 01-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
1Jackpot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
generally speaking anything over ten nights and the AP pays for itself..

you also can buy the TiW card( 20% off EVERYTHING including alcohol at most TS and a few CS) to save money on food. there are also room rate discounts on occasion as well as merchandise discounts throughout the resort and DTD. the TiW is $75. for us, it pays for itself after one meal at a Signature.

most normal AP dining discounts is only 10% although a couple of restaurants offer 20%

the DP discounts are not always available, you'd have to check with Reservations to see if it is an option during your stay.
I agree. We're going to be staying a month and an AP (obviously) was the only way to go!
1Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Yes, you'd need only 1 AP to get room discount. If General public discount is 35% off room rate, AP may be 40%.
You can search past July discounts WDW put out on the mousesavers.com Historical Discount chart.

AP tickets don't include water parks, etc unless you buy the Premuim pass. In July your boys will prob enjoy the water parks & Disney Quest on the park hopper tickets with water parks & more option. I'd buy 10 day tickets, they are only a slight bit more, since you'll be there 11 days.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
wdisneyaholic
DIS Veteran

Sue M, your right, my boys definitely want to do the water parks. I think my plan will be to get one AP, get the TIW card and hope for an AP room discount. Looking at the historical discounts looks like it was either a 30-35% room discount. Plus it looks like APs get some merchandise discounts. I think the big draw is going to be the TIW card. 5 adult meals at sit down places really add up. Even adding the 18% gratuity still comes out ahead.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdisneyaholic View Post
Sue M, your right, my boys definitely want to do the water parks. I think my plan will be to get one AP, get the TIW card and hope for an AP room discount. Looking at the historical discounts looks like it was either a 30-35% room discount. Plus it looks like APs get some merchandise discounts. I think the big draw is going to be the TIW card. 5 adult meals at sit down places really add up. Even adding the 18% gratuity still comes out ahead.
Yes, you'd get a 10% merchandise discount with a regular AP or 20% with a premium AP.
This year we've eeked out 3 trips with our AP, Jan 2011, Aug 2011 & our last trip coming up in 2 weeks. In Aug we upgraded it to Premium so we could go to the Water Parks.
This Jan we got a 40% AP at WL. First time we haven't added on DDP. So will be interesting to see if we save or break even!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My question is it says ap holders can get a discount on the dining plan of up to 30%.
I think that's just the typical wording of the dining plan stuff. That it saves up to 30% off of your dining.

You can call to check out the AP hotel discounts before getting it, I believe. Check it out, see if the total would be less than your current package. If it is, you can always get what you're getting, then upgrade your ticket to the AP (best to use it to enter a park and THEN visit guest services to upgrade and buy the TIW card while you're there). That way you get the benefits of the AP and TIW card, AND the package deal (if it's better than buying admission and hotel separately).

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

AP holders also get discounts on water park tickets (I think 20%) for up to 4 tickets. So if you and your kids aren't going to the water park more than one day, it's cheaper not to get the WP&M option added.
snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: