Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
rrstan
Earning My Ears

Questions/Tips for 2-12-2012 Dream Cruise

My husband, daughter and I are taking our first DCL cruise on February 12, 2012. The 12th is also my daughter's 5th birthday. I have a few questions, but would welcome any tips too.

1. Palo or Remy? Right now we have reservations at Remy, but Palo sounds enticing.

2. How does Disney do a birthday celebration on DCL? I am going to do the birthday banner through disney, but any other ideas?

3. My husband has mobility limitations - any tips for those with walking assistance?

4. We are not booking excursions. After paying so much money to be on the boat, we feel we should briefly leave the boat at port, but spend most of our time enjoying the boat. Is this the right choice?

5. What are activities on boat that are a must? Definitely want to do Bingo and a couple of the shows.

Thanks for any tips! We are very excited!

Last edited by rrstan; 01-01-2012 at 10:32 AM.
rrstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Palo is a nice "normal" adult evening. Remy is an "over the top experience" on par with Victoria and Albert at the GF. Both are lovely, but different. Since the cruise is for your daughter's birthday, you probably won't want to be away from her at dinner for 2 nights on a short cruise, so pick one. Either will be a great night.

She will get a birthday dessert, singing and a pin in the dining room. You can get the pin earlier in the day at GS.

Bring or rent a wheelchair. If he doesn't need the HA cabin, you can fold the chair and take in into a regular cabin (do not leave it in the hall--it will be in the way of the room hosts and anyone using mobility assist devices!) I cruised with a friend who walks with braces and crutches; her adult daughters and I insisted on a chair on the ship. Her comment after the fact was that if she started at the front of the ship in the morning, she might have made it to the restaurant by dinner time!

4 and 5--Am I missing a question here? Bingo is very expensive. There is a show every night--3 Broadway style, but something every night. All are "not to be missed"
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
rrstan
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your thoughts. #4 was more of an affirmation needed in it being the right choice to not book excursions.

I will think about the wheel chair. I have a stubborn husband so I'm not sure if I can convince him on it.

Didn't realize Bingo is expensive. May rethink that, but we do love some bingo!
rrstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

You are on the same cruise as me! Come say hi in our Cruise Meet group thread to meet the others on our same sailing.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
bugman0828
Earning My Ears

Tips

My family will be going on our second Disney cruise on March 4, 2012! What we learned on our 1st cruise was that there is so much to do on a Disney cruise, that getting off the ship will not interfere with your experiences on the ship. Get off the ship & enjoy yourself, cuz you never know when you will be at that port/destination again. Myself & my wife did a dinner & a brunch on our 1st cruisee @ Palo. Palo is an amazing restaurant & you will definitely enjoy the food! Also do this special thing for your daughter, buy a pillow case & a sharpie pen or marker, put it in a zip lock bag & on the day you board the ship take the ziplock bag to guest services & tell them you would like all the characters aboard the ship to sign the pillow case. They will leave the bag in your state room the night before you disembark the ship. Hope all this info helps. Enjoy your cruise with disney, it is like nothing you ever experienced!

PS: Bingo I believe is $20.00 & up, depending on which games or how many cards you would like. But it is alot of fun & my last Disney cruise I won a $250.00 jackpot! Our last night on the ship, 1 person won a $4,500.00 jackpot! I think it''s worth it! ADULTS GOTTA HAVE FUN TOO!

Last edited by bugman0828; 01-04-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: provide another tip!
bugman0828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, birthday, dream cruise, february 12, tips and tricks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: