Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #121
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I had two weekends with lots of purging - boxes & bags full. I have shipped a couple of things to people I know who can use them. On a daily basis, I try to toss at least one or two items that we just don't need. I go through mail more frequently so it doesn't pile up like it used to. My clothes are on deck - I have to go through what's in the closet, the out of season stuff, the "one day they'll fit again" bags, etc. I know there's a lot that be donated or tossed.

After that, I will be at the point where I need DH's input but his back has been out and he's not in the mind set to work on this right now.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #122
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda_2003 View Post
I am in for a 100 item challenge next weekend. That would be great.

The entire back of my van is full of stuff to deliver on Tuesday from what I sold on FB. Extra $ is always great . More to apply to our May trip to Disney.
Do you mean Facebook? I've never heard of anything like that, please tell us more!

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #123
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

Yes, I belive she does. Search for your local swap sell, such is we live in what is known as The River Valley, so ours is The River Valley Sell and Swap. We have bought and sold via it
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #124
charming23
DIS Veteran

Today I tackled the disaster that was our cookie sheets, muffin tins, etc cabinet. I have a stack of stuff to take to goodwill, and a stack of items to take up to our lake house (we share a house with a few other families and everyone donates items to be used up there). You can now open the cabinet without everything falling out.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #125
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
I'd definitely be in for a challenge. Can I include stuff I'm already collecting today?
Sure, why not?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #126
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Just read on a blog the idea of a "100 things weekend"- get rid of 100 things somehow, someway. Who's up for a 100 things challenge next weekend? (2/25-26)?
I'm in for this. You'll have to remind me later on in the week though. I definitely have 100 things to get rid of! *AGAIN!*
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #127
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafibisha View Post
Do you mean Facebook? I've never heard of anything like that, please tell us more!
Yes, it is on Facebook. I just started a new group called Hancock County Yard Sale (I think that's what it is anyway....) and invited a bunch of my FB friends, who invited their friends and so on. People can request to join to. The group is always pretty busy and it is a great way to get rid of stuff when it isn't yard sale weather!

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #128
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I sorted through all my piles in the corner of the basement. I have 3 bags of toys to give away, a huge bag of trash went out to the garage, and many gift bags are now organized into Christmas and general stacks. I keep them in a spare dresser and had some extras piled up. Also cleared out some of the closet under the stairs.

We bought a nice metal patio set yesterday on CL that has a bigger table and 4 chairs plus a bench. The bench will go on our front porch for now and we can move it to the back when we need it for seating. Since DD is graduating in May, I'm holding on to our old set til after her party then will sell it on CL.

We are getting a really good deal on a big fold out computer armoire piece that we're picking up tomorrow. So excited because it will hold a ton of stuff and I should be able to move or get rid of our file cabinet that currently holds the printer. I have some things to sell that should cover the cost so it'll be cheap storage.

The basement is looking better and I am determined to have the house in great shape by May for DD's graduation.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #129
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda_2003 View Post
Yes, it is on Facebook. I just started a new group called Hancock County Yard Sale (I think that's what it is anyway....) and invited a bunch of my FB friends, who invited their friends and so on. People can request to join to. The group is always pretty busy and it is a great way to get rid of stuff when it isn't yard sale weather!
Sounds great! But your earlier post said you had a van full of stuff to deliver, so how do you distribute or deliver it? Meet somewhere for each individual sale?

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #130
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafibisha View Post
Sounds great! But your earlier post said you had a van full of stuff to deliver, so how do you distribute or deliver it? Meet somewhere for each individual sale?
I teach at the local high school, so I just have people meet me there either before or after school. It is pretty centrally located for our county and if someone from a neighboring county wants something, I have my hubby take it with him to work and they meet him there.

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #131
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Morning one hundered things destashers! I am just getting started but the first six things (expired or past their prime health/beauty items) were easier than I thought.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #132
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

I read about the 100 destashing idea and am trying. We now have 3 kids, 3 cats, and us, so our house is full and I'm trying to keep the flow of stuff in equal to the stuff out.

Anyway, so far I gave away books to my son's kindergarten drive, gave away my son's tiny bike, sold old gold/silver, and donated my maternity clothes, old coffee maker, and a toy to Purple Heart.

I think it's about 50 items so far. Will try to get rid of more soon... Wish I had the courage to sell some things. I'm always leary of strangers due to a strange free cycle incident we experienced a while back.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #133
delmar411
DIS Veteran

I got rid of a bunch of stuff yesterday but I need to get it together this morning to start in on the 100 things. I told DH to remind me but I guess he forgot! LOL
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #134
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Just got back from DS's guitar lesson and ready to start. I counted 25 things that I collected last weekend to donate so I need to see what else I can come up with today.

Tomorrow I will make a Goodwill run and enjoy coming home to less stuff!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #135
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

My daughter's girl scout troop just asked for donations for the SPCA. I only had about 10 minutes to prepare, as the event is today, but I got rid of 8 more things, including a comforter, sheet set, gloves, and cat toys. Wish I had more notice because I probably have more.

I'm at 60 items or so (I didn't count my maternity clothes or gold/silver, but that's a decent estimate that's possibly a little low).

To be honest, my house isn't bad. We have room in the closets, park in the garage, mostly empty basement (majority is finished), and no attic. I just like to keep stuff at a minimum, which is really hard with kids! They bring home everything, especially paper.

Last edited by QVCshopper; 02-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: