Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #91
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

I so need to get on board with all of you! We moved in 2009 into a farmhouse that needed remodeling -- we all lived in 1 room together for a full year, so all of our "stuff" got moved to storage. Over the last two years we slowly pulled items from storage as needed or replaced them. We finally just got tired of paying for a storage unit so hubby cleared it out and brought it all home, only to find that most of it was no longer needed or wanted. So now it's piled all over my new, lovely remodeled house and it's driving me crazy!! I hate throwing stuff away, but I also hate yard sales. I just need to get it together to donate. I know I could make money selling it, but I truly cannot be bothered with ebay or craigslist or any of that, and I don't want to hold on to it until it's warm enough to have a yard sale, and go to all that trouble just to have it not sell and end up donating it anyway. I have to trust that if I give it away, I'll be blessed for it!

My biggest problem is the craft stuff -- I had an entire room for it at our old house, and now I have ZERO space. I have boxes and totes FULL of stamping and scrapbooking items (which, if you're into that, you know how expen$ive that stuff is!) that I just have nowhere to go with. I'd love to get back into using it someday but right now is just not a good time, and I have nowhere to store it all. I'm really undecided about what to do with all of it. Any thoughts?

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #92
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

We are in the process also. Our house was damaged in the June 1st Tornado in Mass., so we moved all our stuff into a storage unit in the driveway. We lived in a rental house for 6 months, then we bought house and moved in Dec. 17th. So, the only we took was the kids bed, their room stuff, and our stuff, meaning clothes.

We had to buy alot of new furniture, plus more furniture since the house is double the size.

We still have stuff in the storage, as we own both houses. The barn at the damaged house is still full of tools, quads, snowmobiles, bikes etc. We just don't have a place for that stuff yet. All our wood is there too.

The basement is full, full of stuff we just don't want or need and will go when the house comes down.

Once I went through most of the stuff, such as snow clothes, boots, shoes, sports equipment etc., I had a lot to donate, like 7 bags full. So I did that. 5 kids accumulate alot of stuff. Still always a work in progress.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #93
VanessasMom
Disney Bound!

I am joining this group! In July we moved into a beautiful home twice the size of our old one...problem is that we had 3 weeks to move to a new state and had no time to destash everything. We did what we could and then threw everything else in boxes. We had our entire household in two 15 x 10 foot storage units. Now that we are in, I have started setting up/decorating rooms. My daughter's bedroom is done and I have a huge pile of clothes and shoes to sell. My craft/sewing room just got done yesterday and I ended up throwing out a little more than half of the junk I had---I have ALOT of art/craft/sewing supplies. Now I am onto the toy room, then the office, then the family room, then the dining room and living room. Lastly, I will do our bedroom. Whew!

I have found that if there is something I want to save for a special day, just forget about it and use it now! Also put things in clear containers so you can see what you have and use it.

Happy Destashing!!!!

OKW DVC Owner since 2010
VanessasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #94
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
I so need to get on board with all of you! We moved in 2009 into a farmhouse that needed remodeling -- we all lived in 1 room together for a full year, so all of our "stuff" got moved to storage. Over the last two years we slowly pulled items from storage as needed or replaced them. We finally just got tired of paying for a storage unit so hubby cleared it out and brought it all home, only to find that most of it was no longer needed or wanted. So now it's piled all over my new, lovely remodeled house and it's driving me crazy!! I hate throwing stuff away, but I also hate yard sales. I just need to get it together to donate. I know I could make money selling it, but I truly cannot be bothered with ebay or craigslist or any of that, and I don't want to hold on to it until it's warm enough to have a yard sale, and go to all that trouble just to have it not sell and end up donating it anyway. I have to trust that if I give it away, I'll be blessed for it!

My biggest problem is the craft stuff -- I had an entire room for it at our old house, and now I have ZERO space. I have boxes and totes FULL of stamping and scrapbooking items (which, if you're into that, you know how expen$ive that stuff is!) that I just have nowhere to go with. I'd love to get back into using it someday but right now is just not a good time, and I have nowhere to store it all. I'm really undecided about what to do with all of it. Any thoughts?
ITA. Thats what i decided awhile ago and continue donating it all.

While we've never been on *easy street*, we are definitely blessed. And I do know there are way too many people out there needing it more than we do.

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #95
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Dh finally posted the entertainment center and desk. I need to take pictures of the tony lil gazelle and my old treadmill. Then I will go through my craftroom and go throught he pile of junk my dd out in there. Her pile consist of toys, clothes, purses misc.

I told her the stuff we sale from her pile we will use it towards a mini folding craft table. I bought her a cricut cake for x-mas for $49 so she needs the table. She's 13 and plans to make cards to donate to hospital. I told her she can share my craftroom but we need to clearout all the junk she's been storing in there. I think this will be a good way.

I'm hoping this weekend we will be able to go through more stuff.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #96
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i need a pep talk.

i did wonders in my kitchen then ran out of steam.

(this is why i have such clutter in my house.)

i have great intentions, start working on one room, finish it, then either get stressed out, lazy, or overwhelmed as i have so much to destash..........

someone come give me a kick in the butt to get me motivated again!

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #97
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i need a pep talk.

i did wonders in my kitchen then ran out of steam.

(this is why i have such clutter in my house.)

i have great intentions, start working on one room, finish it, then either get stressed out, lazy, or overwhelmed as i have so much to destash..........

someone come give me a kick in the butt to get me motivated again!
That how I feel when i use to clean /organize my craftroom. I'd end up walking out because i was so overwhelmed. 2 things that worked for me and I'm not joking...
1. watch an episode of hoaders. For some reason after watching an episode I' want to get up and clean .

2. Pick one section. Example if i picked my craftroom I'd start with my table. Cleared it off and put things away. Then I'd pick another area in the room like the desk. i'f clean that then next spot closet etc..

if you do the kitchen start with junk drawer, top of fridge, cabinet#1, cabinet #2 etc.

I read somewhere when you pick a spot then when you complete first spot move to the next spot in the room but go clockwise so you stay on task instead of jumping all over the place.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #98
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

thank you for the suggestions.

i have watched hoarders.
scary isn't it......

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #99
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

I'm trying to keep plugging along too. My biggest problem is our "pool room". We have a pool table in one room in our basement and the kids can't ever play pool because it it constantly filled with my stuff.

I don't consider myself a horder, but I like to mess with a bunch of different things and they just pile up !

I just need to get motivated to GET THEM OUT! There, maybe since I yelled it, I'll actually do it!

My sister is having a yard sale this spring and after our last one, we swore we'd never have one again and have just been donating everything we want to get rid of. Her oldest DD has been bugging her to have one because they are just so much fun . I know the kids love them, so I guess we are going to do another one and then donate everything that is left over. The issue with that is storing everything until then. We have a big house, but not lots of storage (other than my pool table of course ).

So, I guess I'm going to haul the boxes of junk - I mean stuff - out to the shed until this spring to get them out of the house.

Wish me luck, I am trying!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #100
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

I made a new years resolution to 'destash' my house this year. We've been here for 14 years and have accumulated a lot of 'stuff'. Our church has a yard sale every year and we donate a good bit to that. It seems something always comes up around yard sale time and I don't have time to do a serious purge.

I've decided to go through the house at least 1 room/month. Go through all the closets and pare down what we don't use/need. I've gotten a really good start so far. We've taken a couple of loads to Goodwill. I itemize everything we donate and get receipts to use for tax purposes.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #101
comicguy
DIS Veteran

Not a lot to report on the destash front:

Got rid of:
5 Comic related books
25 Comicbooks
2 Novels

I figure every little bit helps!!! especially when you make a few dollars to boot as well. made an extra 20 dollars for WDW!!!
Dec 2000 Movies, Jan '03 Movies, Jan '05 Movies, Jan '06 Movies, August '06 POP, Jan '07 POP, Aug '07 POP, Aug '08 POP, Aug '09 POP, Aug '10 POP Aug '11 POP, POP '12, AoA '13

Next Trip: '14 POP
comicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #102
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

Good job comicguy, and yes in my world $20. bucks is 20 bucks
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #103
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post
Not a lot to report on the destash front:

Got rid of:
5 Comic related books
25 Comicbooks
2 Novels

I figure every little bit helps!!! especially when you make a few dollars to boot as well. made an extra 20 dollars for WDW!!!
Hey comicguy, Funny (pun intended?! ) that I'm seeing your post today! As we were destashing yesterday, I came across a dozen or so old comic books, the Betty & Veronica kind, and some from old movies (How the West was Won etc). They were my daddy's, and I have a feeling I'll find more *somewhere* in our attic Where would you suggest I sell them? Do you use ebay or craigslist? Or is there a specific site?

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #104
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I had a large box of magazines that were given to me that I was going to read eventually. Took a deep breath and told DH that if I tried to get rid of them I would talk myself out of them, but he was welcome to take them to the recycling, and he did.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #105
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

I got rid of our nonworking washing machine that was junking up my front porch today! I posted on a facebook yard sale group that whoever came to get it by dark today could have it and I had someone here within an hour! Yea!!

I also sold the cart that was between my old washer and dryer that held the detergent. The new machine is smaller even though it is a higher capacity so I had enough room for my sorting cart there instead. Now I have enough room to fold and hang while I am in the laundry room, without having to bring everything out to the living room to get it done.

I also tossed a bag full of old sunscreen and lotions from our main bathroom.

I really wish we could get a few snow days in a row so that I could get some more stuff done. My weekends are just to crammed already to be able to really devote the time to this that it needs!

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: