Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #541
judomom2
Mouseketeer

I cleaned out 3 drawers yesterday looking for my camera charger.I got 1 bag of trash, a few things for goodwill and no battery charger
judomom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #542
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by judomom2 View Post
I cleaned out 3 drawers yesterday looking for my camera charger.I got 1 bag of trash, a few things for goodwill and no battery charger
Unintended consequences, of the good kind? Hopefully, the charger will appear soon, but congratulations on the de-stashing.
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #543
mapmakerj
DIS Veteran

I posted on the other thread about how to start destashing but I thought I would post my experiences here as well. My DH is in negotiations for a job in Florida and we would have to move from Wisconsin. Destashing is all we do these days. I have made 9 trips to Goodwill this week and I am preparing another load for today. We have given many things away to family with more to come. It was very difficult to get started and even more difficult to get rid of some thiings, but once we got past giving up all the unused stuff it was very freeing. Our families have asked us how we could give up so much stuff and I describe it as a sort of cleansing. Except for a handful of sentimental things and our family photos it really is just stuff.
6/09-Celebrated my and DH's 40th BD's for 14 nights (9 Swan & 5 RPR)
10/06-1st MNSSHP-AKL;12/04-DS's 1st trip-AKL;9/98-1st trip to WDW for 2nd Honeymoon-offsite
mapmakerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #544
mom2t
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2t View Post
Did Knex, more playmobil, toy, and my son's desk. 3 hrs. of cleaning. I miscounted. We have 13 tubs of legos. Hitting those tomorrow. Then toy closet cleaned except my stuff and I will hit that 1 night this week. Then move to my son's room on Friday night.
Finished the shelves in the toy closet with my stuff. I have a box of craft stuff to donate to a women's prison ministry and more stuff for the yard sale. Moving to our computer cabinet next time.
mom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #545
charming23
DIS Veteran

I spent my sunday destashing. I have been working so much that everything got piled up again. I cleaned out my closet again since I have gone down another size. Plus I cleaned out kitchen cupboards and took 4 bags to goodwill this morning on my way to work.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #546
mom2t
Mouseketeer

Cleaned out the shelves in my son's closet this evening. Can't do anything tomorrow night but am hitting the DVD collection the next night.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #547
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Finally finished YDD's room and have a couple giant bags to drop at goodwill. Also cleaned out the linen closet of the flat sheets since the kids dont use them.

I'm about done my destashing for 2012. I leave on Sunday for WDW and wont be back until the new year. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and new years celebration!
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #548
mom2t
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2t View Post
Cleaned out the shelves in my son's closet this evening. Can't do anything tomorrow night but am hitting the DVD collection the next night.
Straightned all the DVDs and even got rid of some. My husband cleaned up his collection too. Moving to son's closet with toys tomorrow. We are doing great.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #549
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Dh went through all his clothes and has a huge bag to drop at goodwill.tomorrow. Next week he'll have a large bag of work clothes to toss too since they reek of restaurants. I'm proud of him for actually getting rid of things he doesn't wear anymore.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #550
Shanan
Mouseketeer

We have slowly working on decluttering our house. Donated alot to our church yard sale. Now I am in a shutdown overwhelmed mode. DH is an only child and just recently lost last surviving parent. His parents had lived in the same house for 50 years They were depression era people who never threw anything out. I threw out a kitchen size trash bag that had nothing but grocery store plastic bags & plastic vegetable bags. I don't even know where to start .....clean out or remove the collectables that we want to keep.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #551
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanan View Post
We have slowly working on decluttering our house. Donated alot to our church yard sale. Now I am in a shutdown overwhelmed mode. DH is an only child and just recently lost last surviving parent. His parents had lived in the same house for 50 years They were depression era people who never threw anything out. I threw out a kitchen size trash bag that had nothing but grocery store plastic bags & plastic vegetable bags. I don't even know where to start .....clean out or remove the collectables that we want to keep.
Shanan, I understand exactly how you feel. I have been working thru my parents' home, where they had lived since 1967. Definitely you have some *hugs* from me. I just started with the closets. My Dad was a pack-rat and never threw away stuff, either. I have found tax returns from the 1950's! One positive: it has given me the incentive to de-clutter my own house, though.

As far as the collectibles v. clean out: I have found I am finding things where I thought I would only have Goodwill stuff. If your in-laws were Depression babies, I think there is a good possibility there might be $ somewhere hidden, too (I know there was with my in-laws.)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #552
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I shredded a grocery bag of bills. And organized my desk drawer
Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #553
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

Christmas Derailed My Decluttering!

After Christmas and a child's birthday right after Christmas, I feel like my decluttering efforts have been destroyed! I cannot imagine how much worse my house would be had I not decluttered what I did in this past year. I even just got rid of a three drawer chest today.

Here's to decluttering being on my New Year's Resolution list for 2013!

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #554
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

We've done a lot of decluttering since Christmas. Decided to get rid of things in the kids rooms as they were finding room for their new stuff. They were very receptive of letting things go

Deb
my3princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #555
foreUT
DIS Veteran

I dropped some clothing off at Goodwill on Saturday and will have a few more things tomorrow. Just glad I saw this thread to give me some incentive when I needed it. Thanks, everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: