Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #271
beaucoup
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney View Post
Check out flylady.net they are going done dirt of decluttering game or contest starting Friday.
FlyLady (personally) drives me crazy. I take the principles & get off the site & FB page quick. I would rather follow other organizer blogs or FB pages who are less holier than thou.

Most of the other blogs & organizers all follow the same system anyway, since FlyLady isn't the one who originally came up with it anyway.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #272
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,922

I'm so excited!!! I finally sold some items i had on CL since March. The reason is because these 2 listing took up space. One was a kids comforter and 3 deco pillows and two boxes/2 bags full of misc small items
(62-65 items) Made some cash and the clutter is gone. The boxes and bedding took up a lot of space.

sooooo dont give up if your craig listing. Yes, its easier to donate it all but if your willing to wait you can make some money since march I've made $409.00 and it came in handy Now I'm ready and motivaded for more-lol!

on another good note-----Dh is cleaning out his closet. Well he cheated a lil and left everything on his cbainets and shelves but just moved those to the dining area. Looks like we will actually get the closet and room painted this weekend
__________________
dreamin_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #273
mafibisha
DIS Veteran
 
mafibisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom55 View Post
Reading thru this thread with some admiration for you all. Last year I was forced to declutter all my husbands stuff as well as much of my own as were my kids as my husband died suddenly from a stroke. Wrapped in this saddness was the news we would now be able to buy a house due to life insurance. But oh my the things we had to declutter. He had so much stuff that it made no sense to move, so while many widows can take their time to sort thru, I had to decide rather quickly. Some things I kept as the kids just would not hear of getting rid of as it was dads and they were not willing to part with it yet, as you can imagine so much clothes and other things just had to go.

Why I post this is all the good those items are doing between the charities and garage sales. Those items are now being bought by some that otherwise might not afford those items. I just want to tell you I am proud of all you are doing.

2011 was hard in so many ways for myself and my kids, and going thru all the things my husband had did not make it any easier as he was such a collector of things.

Now a little over a year later, there are more things to declutter as I finally just boxed up some stuff of his and it now sits in the garage waiting to go to charity, perhaps this thread has given me the push I need to start again. I will be calling the VVA for a pick up soon.
So very sorry for your loss. (((( HUGS ))) to you.
How wonderful though, that your donations are making such a difference in others' lives. Its also a great reminder and inspiration for me, and likely others, to pass on much of what we keep that isn't really necessary or needed, so that it can be a blessing to others. Thanks much, and God bless.
__________________
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #274
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran
 
cluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup

FlyLady (personally) drives me crazy. I take the principles & get off the site & FB page quick. I would rather follow other organizer blogs or FB pages who are less holier than thou.

Most of the other blogs & organizers all follow the same system anyway, since FlyLady isn't the one who originally came up with it anyway.
I agree. Her system is not revolutionary and all the emails are insane I just wanted to see if there were prizes...lol
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #275
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom55 View Post
Reading thru this thread with some admiration for you all. Last year I was forced to declutter all my husbands stuff as well as much of my own as were my kids as my husband died suddenly from a stroke. .
I'm very sorry for your loss.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #276
StephMK
DIS Veteran
 
StephMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: TBD
Posts: 4,985

Dismom55 - I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing you strength & comfort.

We are back from vacation & I'm motivated to pitch stuff. My dad is a mini-hoarder and luckily contained to 2 rooms at this point. There is stuff piled chest high in the garage and little paths through the stuff. As another poster stated, that's stuff just sitting that could be used by someone. My mom can't convince him to clear it out. He's one of those - it's functional & we might have a use for it -thinkers.

Anyway, that just makes me want to come home and throw stuff out! I don't have any piles but we do have stuff I don't need anymore. Plus we are finally planning to move next year and I need to start getting the house ready to sell! Very excited & have been wanting to move for a long time.

Before we left town, I cleared out about 1/2 of my kitchen cabinets & need to do the other ones. DS's closet & room look great but both DD's need to clear their closets. I cleared my closet in the spring but I want to go through it again and be more ruthless. I'm losing weight and don't plan to keep the bigger stuff.

We will be going to a more expensive area and getting a smaller place. I really envision paring down and just keeping the well loved items. We are planning to sell most of our furniture before we go. I can't wait to get this project underway!

Anyone have any plans for the weekend? I hope to go through DD12's closet w/her and go through at least 3 totes in the basement. Oh, and get the kids to sort through their dress up boxes for any favs before I donate the rest. Next week, I hope to keep pitching and start painting rooms.
__________________
DD DD DS
StephMK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #277
beaucoup
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,429

Wedding gown from 24 yrs ago is in my car & ready to go next time I'm in the area of donation place.

No children. 23 year old niece will never want it. Its so 1980's with lace sleeves & lace up to the neck. I listed it in my Craigslist yard sale ad last year. No bites, and I even had people purchase unsold items after yard sale they had seen listed in ad, so I know detailed listing works.

Maybe someone can do something with all that fabric.

Asked DH & he is completely fine with me letting it go. Have no other use for it & the box is taking up a lot of space in our condo.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #278
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,922

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Dismom55 - I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing you strength & comfort.

We are back from vacation & I'm motivated to pitch stuff. My dad is a mini-hoarder and luckily contained to 2 rooms at this point. There is stuff piled chest high in the garage and little paths through the stuff. As another poster stated, that's stuff just sitting that could be used by someone. My mom can't convince him to clear it out. He's one of those - it's functional & we might have a use for it -thinkers.

Anyway, that just makes me want to come home and throw stuff out! I don't have any piles but we do have stuff I don't need anymore. Plus we are finally planning to move next year and I need to start getting the house ready to sell! Very excited & have been wanting to move for a long time.

Before we left town, I cleared out about 1/2 of my kitchen cabinets & need to do the other ones. DS's closet & room look great but both DD's need to clear their closets. I cleared my closet in the spring but I want to go through it again and be more ruthless. I'm losing weight and don't plan to keep the bigger stuff.

We will be going to a more expensive area and getting a smaller place. I really envision paring down and just keeping the well loved items. We are planning to sell most of our furniture before we go. I can't wait to get this project underway!

Anyone have any plans for the weekend? I hope to go through DD12's closet w/her and go through at least 3 totes in the basement. Oh, and get the kids to sort through their dress up boxes for any favs before I donate the rest. Next week, I hope to keep pitching and start painting rooms.
We took everything out of our bedroom except for the bed. Saturday will be painting day. I told dh that he needs to go thorugh his tuff before bringinnig it all back into the room. When he took out his closet cabinet organizers he left All his stuff on it..he cheated-lol!

My alleries/asthma are bad so i can't smell the paint or help like i did last time unless i wear a mask but my nose is sensetive from all the dust that was under the furniture. I walked in and got a wiff of it. Luckily dh vaccumed. I dont like having heavy bedroom furniture becausei cant move it.

In a couple of days when paint smell goes away I plan on clearning out underneath the bed. I have no idea what under there but Dh had a bunch of junk under it and I'm sure there more dust and dirt!

I still need to work on my bakeware cabinet, maybe this weekend. I'm about ready to go buy the bakeware slot holder instead of waiting for dh to make one. I otld him its probably going to be cheaper and faster.

I'm also thinking of hitting the den entertainment cabinets.

DD's room is finally being kept up so i'm happy with her. She has one top shelve that has a bunch of games so i want to go through those and put those under our livingroom tv cabinet.

the only thing left after everthing i mentioned is the garage and shed.
__________________
dreamin_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #279
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,850

well the kids go back to school on tuesday so this morning was the time to sort through uniforms.

I'm heading out to old navy in a bit to finish getting the uniforms but I'm taking away:

21 boy polos
5 girl polos
5 girl khakis
8 boy khakis

ODS already has 5 new khakis and YDD has 5 new polos, so now to get YDS 5 new polos and khakis, and YDD 5 new khakis and ODS 5 new polos.

So I'm taking away 39 pieces and bringing back 20. Still a gain on my side!
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #280
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

Tuesday!!! Argh. I hate how short summers are getting.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #281
StephMK
DIS Veteran
 
StephMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: TBD
Posts: 4,985

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
well the kids go back to school on tuesday so this morning was the time to sort through uniforms.

I'm heading out to old navy in a bit to finish getting the uniforms but I'm taking away:

21 boy polos
5 girl polos
5 girl khakis
8 boy khakis

ODS already has 5 new khakis and YDD has 5 new polos, so now to get YDS 5 new polos and khakis, and YDD 5 new khakis and ODS 5 new polos.

So I'm taking away 39 pieces and bringing back 20. Still a gain on my side!

Are you in year round school? It's still July on Tuesday!! My kids go back 8/15 and that seems early.

I cleaned out a cabinet in the family room last night & found 21 books to let go. I'm going to see if I can trade some on Amazon for credit since a few are recent textbooks. It's nice because I freed up some shelf space by putting things away in my teaching trunk & recycling some old papers.

I need the kids to go through their games and figure out which ones they want to donate and hope to do that tonight. DD18 has 2 big piles of clothes to donate. She still needs to finish cleaning out her room because I'm positive there are more items to go as well as trash and papers to recycle.

I poked around in my dining room cabinet but have already pared back that stuff & didn't see anything new I'd part with. I also went through my dresser and found a stack of things in there.

It feels good to let stuff go! I keep focusing on wanting to move and don't want to pack and pay to move too much stuff.
__________________
DD DD DS
StephMK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #282
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,850

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Are you in year round school? It's still July on Tuesday!! My kids go back 8/15 and that seems early.
We normally go back around 8/15 (a little before that actually) but this year they are doing a balanced calendar with 2weeks off between 9-10wk sessions and so that is cutting summer shorter.

It's been a weird summer with this new schedule hanging over our head but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #283
ashleyasiegel
Mouseketeer
 
ashleyasiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 261

Does Goodwill take old towels? They are still in decent condition - we just got new ones we got married so I put these in a plastic tote to save but now I would like to get ride of them? Can you donate stuffed animals? I thought I read someplace they they don't take stuffed animals but I could be making up crazy things in my mind LOL!
__________________
Ashley Herm DD1 -Age 6 DD2 - Age 3

April/May 2014: Pop Century l Dec 2012: Pop Century l Jan/Feb 2012: DD2 1st trip ASMovies l Sept 2010: All Star Music l Nov 2009: Pop Century/All Star Music l Nov 2009: Disneyland l Jan 2009: DD1 1st trip All Star Sports l May 2007: Off Site l April 2006: Off Site Herm's First Disney Trip
ashleyasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #284
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

I dunno about goodwill but our animal shelter always wants towels and blankets.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #285
ilovepete
DIS Veteran
 
ilovepete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Not far above The World
Posts: 1,866

Somehow I have never seen this thread before! But this week, I got rid of SO much stuff that I have been storing and it felt great. Normally I donate things, probably every other month we take a box to Goodwill. Well, this time I decided to do some of the bigger items I have just been keeping around and I got about $400 out of the deal as well! I have sold a stroller, pack n play, swing, a bathroom set, a bedroom set, plenty of kids toys, folding chairs, and clothing. I still have a few bigger items (a TV, bar stools, a power wheels type thing) to get rid of and some small things. I figure the smaller things I will donate once they don't sell. The larger things, well I'm not sure.

I still have a lot to do. My biggest problem is the paper items like receipts and such. I still have not figured out a good system for that.
__________________
Me, wife to DH and mama to DD5 and DS7
DD's favorite character is Pete, so that is where the screen name comes in!
ilovepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: