Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #256
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

I made 2 trips to the dump today after going through our workshop when DH wasn't around. Unbelievable things saved in there and I finally snapped! 2 sets of encyclopedias from early 1960 and mid 1970 along with broken equipment not worth repairing (popcorn air popper? Really?) were in there along with packing boxes, etc. I have now got more room to move around and straighten and sort. It is a great workshop with 2 rooms, walkin closet with heat and a/c and a landline phone and a covered large porch for mower and other equipment so I want the neat obsessive shop I inherited from my father back.

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #257
MarriedToAPrince
DIS Veteran

Today we bagged up 6-8 bags of toys and stuff to take to Goodwill. My mother buys my kid too many toys and there are so many that she never plays with. They are going!

9/2000-offsite; 6/2003-All Star Sports-Our Honeymoon; 5/2005-Caribbean Beach; 9/2006-Pop Century; 5/2007-Port Orleans Riverside our baby girl; 9-10/2010-Pop Century-Chaeli's 1st Trip and 3rd Birthday Celebration!; 8/2012-Coronado Springs, 8/2014-Art of Animation
MarriedToAPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #258
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
I made 2 trips to the dump today after going through our workshop when DH wasn't around. Unbelievable things saved in there and I finally snapped! 2 sets of encyclopedias from early 1960 and mid 1970 along with broken equipment not worth repairing (popcorn air popper? Really?) were in there along with packing boxes, etc. I have now got more room to move around and straighten and sort. It is a great workshop with 2 rooms, walkin closet with heat and a/c and a landline phone and a covered large porch for mower and other equipment so I want the neat obsessive shop I inherited from my father back.
You got rid of a lot of stuff. Workshop sounds awesome. You had me at walk in closet-lol!

Dh and I just got back from a nice lunch. I was telling him about the hall cabinet i want shelves put in for bakeware stuff. After the chili cheese burger, chili fries and large drink , he's now resting on the recliner. I doubt I'll be able to get him up to work-lol!

I'm going to TRY and clean my side of the closet or go through the hall coat closet. I'm hoping to make that my vaccum, florr steamer and carpet cleaner closet instead of a jacket closet full of jackets we nolonger wear or fit into.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #259
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Ohhh, I need this thread!!

We are having a bathroom renovated starting today. I pulled 5 bags of garbage out of this tiny 5' x8' bathroom! It felt so good to fling all that crap. Out of date meds, old razors and soap, candle holders etc.

I gave 3 bags of kids clothes to a friend, and I have 4 bags of clothes to go to Goodwill.

I really want to get organized and decluttered... really can't stand living in a mess anymore.

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #260
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Everyone is doing so well with the decluttering!

I have been sorting through my craft space weeding out things I don't like or won't use. There's at least one carton of things I can send down to the library my mother works in - they are starting craft classes for kids in the fall and are thrilled to get all this stuff!!

I also got rid of a shirt. I have had it for 4 years, wore it for the first time this year and I hate it. I wore it and washed it 3 times, hating it every single time. On Saturday, when I pulled it out of the washing machine, I just tossed it. Not so impressive in the decluttering sense, but I felt relief to throw it out.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #261
Mouse7116
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNJ View Post

I really want to get organized and decluttered... really can't stand living in a mess anymore.
I feel the same way. I just wish that my motivation would stay with me more. I just get too overwhelmed sometimes.

We had a yard sale with friends and cleared about $100 so I'm please that more stuff went to good homes. She'll have one more before yard sale season is over so I need to get my but in gear and start get more stuff pulled and tagged. Once the season is over I'll be sending it to Goodwill (at least I keep telling myself that. I know for sure that it won't be coming back into the house, but I'm wavering on if I should hang onto it for next year's garage sales....it has been nice to have some extra $$ without having to do a ton of work for it! )
Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #262
thebeesknees
DIS Veteran

Went through the kids' dress-up boxes yesterday and pared it from 3 overflowing boxes with a big pile on the floor to 3 boxes with everything fitting inside. Passed along the too-small things to my sister's kids and the rest went in the trash. The big kids are at sleep-away camp next week and I gave them this week as a warning that they will clean their rooms or I will do it while they are gone - that means I decide what goes and what stays. Also, we are planning to switch the 2 boys' rooms while older DS is away, and I will not be moving junk. DD is so sentimental she keeps every little scrap of paper and I am tired of seeing trash in her room when I go in there! I've organized her doll clothes/accessories for her umpteen times, but it still ends up all over the floor, so I warned her if it is still there on Monday and she is gone, out it goes. We will start on the desks in the office when they get back so they can start off the school year at least somewhat tidy. I have also started trying to tidy up my sewing room. I had it really nice earlier this year and it has deteriorated rapidly since then. I need to set a good example for my kids.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #263
ski_mom
DIS Veteran

We are gettin gnew carpet throughout most of the house this Friday and next Monday and Tuesday. I'm hoping to get rid of a lot of stuff since we are going to have to move everything to one side of the house and then the other. We started clearing the office out last night and there is just so much stuff in there that we'll never use again. I just need to take the time to sort and toss!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #264
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I fell off the wagon and lost my motivation! I have 2 weeks left of vacation and I would like to get more stuff done. I told dh I wanted to clean out my bakeware cabinet. I found some bakeware tray dividers I want to organize my bakeware pans. We looked on line and they have simple ones but dh wants to make one. It will look nice but who knows how long it will take him to get on it.

If I can get dh to paint our bedroom then he will have to also do the closet, which will force us to declutter our closet...keeping fingers crossed

I use to feel overwhelmed trying to declutter/walking into my spare room . Now I can walk in and feel good.

I'm hoping the 1st of the month CL buyers will start buying again.

Well I guess if I can get my bakeware stuff organized and get rid of the bakeware I dont need then I'll be done for now until my next vacation.

So send me some decluttering motivation-lol!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #265
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

Quote:

ME TOO! I think it's the heat. It's been so stinkin' hot outside that I'm staying in more and the mess is starting to get to me.

I need a fairy god mother, that's what I need. Or a huge load of motivation!

or maybe just a margarita!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #266
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Holding decluttered items until the "next" yard sale is not worth it. Just box it all up & drop it off somewhere or have them come pick it all up.

Just getting it out of the house will be so worth it. Worth more than having to look at it for more months, and the few dollars you MIGHT make at yardsale & then end up donating it anyway.

Just let it be free. Let YOURSELF free!
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #267
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Gal View Post
ME TOO! I think it's the heat. It's been so stinkin' hot outside that I'm staying in more and the mess is starting to get to me.

I need a fairy god mother, that's what I need. Or a huge load of motivation!

or maybe just a margarita!
Same here. I have actually considered hiring a professional organizer, but I hate to spend the money. I just know having someone here would keep me on task.

I did a big clean up in my bedroom yesterday. Still nowhere near done, and hubby has yet to pick up his side, so the room only got half vacuumed but at least my side is closer to the door, and his mess is sort of hidden by the bed.

At least now if anyone needs to use my master bathroom while the other one is under construction, I won't cringe at the thought of taking them up there....

Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #268
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same here. I have actually considered hiring a professional organizer, but I hate to spend the money. I just know having someone here would keep me on task.

I did a big clean up in my bedroom yesterday. Still nowhere near done, and hubby has yet to pick up his side, so the room only got half vacuumed but at least my side is closer to the door, and his mess is sort of hidden by the bed.

At least now if anyone needs to use my master bathroom while the other one is under construction, I won't cringe at the thought of taking them up there....
Just do a lil at a time. I felt the same way but my spare room is finally good. I talked to my dh about painting our bedroom this weekend. He said ok but the look on his face knows he has to clean up his big mess that on his side of the closet. I told him i'd put all his stuff in boxes for him -lol! He declined the offer and said he's do it himself-lol! I have 3 boxes ready for his stuff. I'm about to get ready and start cleaning out my side of the closet in a bit.
The plan is to paint room and closet. Redo our closet and add a longer hanging rod, take out one of the dual cabinets. Above the cabinets and clothes hanger I want dh to put one large board for storge containers. He has sports stuff he has saved and put away. Let me tell you there are many pieces of clothing that will be decluttered. I kjnow I have a few that nolonger fit me from 10-14 years ago and same with dh-lol! I have about 15-20 pairs of pants that I have stacked that nolonger fit and I've saved for one day if i ever loose weight. Well I'm done those will be GONE!

My allergies/asthma is one of the reason for decluttering and another is to just feel free and clear. Now if I only had a starbucks caramel macchiato I'd be done even faster-lol!

BTW- the decluttering I did in my spare room took some time because I'd get so overwhelmed. Somedays i'd walk in and out cause I couldnt stand it. Other days I'd do 10-15 mins and towards the end a couple of hours. Turning on the radio and listening to some good music also helped-lol!

UPDATE: I just pulled out 33 pairs of pants that I nolonger fit into from the last 10 years. Plus I already have 8 posted on craigs list. I also have about 5 pairs of new pants that I found that I bought within the last 6-8 months. I also found 2 brand new webkins, a few tops and a few sports clothes i found if i ever had another baby, I cleared out my cabinet shelves and just need to store the stuff I'm keeping and pile the stuff I'm getting rid of. I now have to look at what I have hanging. I also have a pile i took off my shelve of my winter pj which are old t-shirts, sweats, shorts. I really need to get rid of it all and buy a new few nice pj's(clearance rack)

Dh was getting ready this morning for work and I went in and started on my closet. He looked a lil worried and knows how serious I am. I offered to pack up his stuff and he said no thank you....... I bet he's scared hahahaha!

Christine- reading your post motivated me so THANK YOU-lol!~

BTW-Which the shelves so packed with stuff I can't believe how much dust still ende dup on the shelve. I made sure to wear my face mask so my allergies dont go crazy.

I'm heading back to work Hope to get this done in an hour

Update #2Everything is out of my side of the closet. Whoo hoo! I tossed out 2 old purses, 4 pairs of shoes, a grocery bag of old pj tops and a grocery bag of trash.
I also will be posting some tops, dressy clothes on CL.

The $$ made from our clothes posted on CL will got to buy something for our room. We need some new scones type candle holders instead of pictures for the walls, new window blinds or blankets.

Now i'm off to clean the rest of the room.

Happy decluttering everyone

Last edited by dreamin_disney; 07-25-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: update:pants ...............2nd update
dreamin_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #269
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_disney View Post

UPDATE: I just pulled out 33 pairs of pants that I nolonger fit into from the last 10 years. Plus I already have 8 posted on craigs list. I also have about 5 pairs of new pants that I found that I bought within the last 6-8 months. I also found 2 brand new webkins, a few tops and a few sports clothes i found if i ever had another baby, I cleared out my cabinet shelves and just need to store the stuff I'm keeping and pile the stuff I'm getting rid of. I now have to look at what I have hanging. I also have a pile i took off my shelve of my winter pj which are old t-shirts, sweats, shorts. I really need to get rid of it all and buy a new few nice pj's(clearance rack)

Dh was getting ready this morning for work and I went in and started on my closet. He looked a lil worried and knows how serious I am. I offered to pack up his stuff and he said no thank you....... I bet he's scared hahahaha!

Christine- reading your post motivated me so THANK YOU-lol!~

BTW-Which the shelves so packed with stuff I can't believe how much dust still ende dup on the shelve. I made sure to wear my face mask so my allergies dont go crazy.

I'm heading back to work Hope to get this done in an hour

Update #2Everything is out of my side of the closet. Whoo hoo! I tossed out 2 old purses, 4 pairs of shoes, a grocery bag of old pj tops and a grocery bag of trash.
I also will be posting some tops, dressy clothes on CL.

The $$ made from our clothes posted on CL will got to buy something for our room. We need some new scones type candle holders instead of pictures for the walls, new window blinds or blankets.

Now i'm off to clean the rest of the room.

Happy decluttering everyone
Wow!!! You got a ton of decluttering done today! You must feel

I am a bit behind today because the water was shut off half the day while they re-plumbed the new bathroom. I just started the dishwasher now, and I haven't done a single load of laundry. I did manage to clear off the coffee table and vacuum the first floor though, so the house looks a bit better.

I also spent some time helping my daughters make no sew fleece blankets this afternoon.

I went to Staples yesterday for sale items and when I went to put them away I realized I have to organize the storage cabinet in my office now too.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #270
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Check out flylady.net they are going done dirt of decluttering game or contest starting Friday.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: