Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

Traveling to York, Maine - where to stay?

My sisters and I usually travel down to Wildwood, NJ area (stay in the Crest) every summer. This year we thought we'd drive to Maine because it's a couple hours closer and we'd like to try something new. A relative had stayed in Maine and stayed in the York beach area. I looked a couple motels there and they are over $300 a night even in June! I know York is quaint and all that, but that's a lot of money. We are used to staying in Wildwood and getting a two room suite with a kitchen and private balcony for less than $200 a night in June.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in York Maine or nearby that is not that expensive and has at least a kitchenette?

Thanks!
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I know the York Harbor Inn but probably more than $200 in June. worth checking though.

I would also suggest checking tripadvisor for hotels and reviews. You could also stay in Ogunquit or Wells which are both close by.

Another option is renting a cottage on home away.com or vrbo.com.

Hope this helps! Have fun planning! Maine is a great vacation spot.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Look at the grand hotel in Ogunquit.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

If you are not looking for real fancy, we stayed at the Microtel and it was fine. I had never heard of it and was very leery, but a friend had recommended it and she was right. Clean room, continental breakfast and the price was right.

www.microtelinn.com

I just put in a weekend in June and a regular room was $98 a night and a suite that had a microwave & minifridge was $132.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
leebee
DIS Veteran

You aren't going to get a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen and private balcony in the York area in June for $200. You are going to a tourist town during tourist season, and you'll pay tourist prices- and the closer to the ocean, the bigger the price tag, regardless of the condition of the property. I know- that's where my family is from!

Try *York Harbor Inn, Anchorage Inn, Union Bluff Hotel, Sands by the Sea, Light House Inn & Carriage House, The Sea Latch, Sunrise Motel, York Harbor Motel, *Edward's Harborside Inn, *Stage Neck Inn, *The Dockside, *The Cliff House. Properties with an asterisk are definitely more upscale and quite lovely. We have stayed at the Light House Inn, Anchorage Inn, and Sea Latch. All were fine, but if you are expecting "Hampton Inn" quality, you aren't going to find it. The rooms will be clean and comfortable, but you'll also get a certain shabby feeling because these are older properties that are closed up in the winter, opening for the summer season. Sea Latch has cottages available as well as older motel-style rooms, and last summer they opened a brand new hotel building (but I have no clue as to what these rooms are like). I have friends who stay at Sands by the Sea every year and love it because the rooms accommodate families and it is smack dab in the middle of downtown York Beach.

You could also try Portsmouth, NH. There are quite a few of the major chain hotels there; in fact, we stayed at the new Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown at the end of December. Properties that are in walking distance of Market Square (downtown business area) will cost an arm and a leg, but there are also hotels further away from downtown that are still decent chain hotels (Residence Inn and Hampton have both downtown and out-of-town locations, for example) but more affordable because they are out near the malls and not in the center of town.

Ogunquit has a LOT of properties, as does Wells, but you need to be very careful so you don't end up with a musty, run-down property that hasn't been renovated since the 1940s. I find that the reviews on TripAdvisor are VERY reliable when it comes to the properties in Ogunquit. Many of them are very nice, and expensive in the summer. The more affordable properties (around $100 or so a night) may be more run down, not have a continental b'fast, not have refrigerators in the rooms (so you have to go out for breakfast), etc.

Watch the terms and conditions for any property in this area. Many require a non-refundable down payment, have funky "cancel by" dates, require a 2 or 3 night stay over the weekends, etc. I strongly suggest you check out any property that looks interesting on TripAdvisor; read the reviews and take heed. There are LOTS of GREAT accommodations in the York area, but you have to watch out for those that aren't, and be prepared for some "quaint" decor!!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
magsmum
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Meadowmere in Ogunquit- some rooms are two room suites with microwaves and fridges. Breakfast is included. Indoor/Outdoor pools, hot tubs, Roman bath. They have several different styles and prices. We've stayed in the less expensive (but still expensive) section and had an enormous room with two queens/doubles and a pull-out couch. We've also stayed at the Hampton Inn in Wells. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite with fridge and microwave (I think). Breakfast included and they will transport you to the beach (Both Wells and Ogunquit for sure). Again, you will pay high prices, but we have stayed both places multiple times. My brother has rented houses in Ogunquit and has been pleased with the prices and accommodations. He usually stays by Perkins Cove.
magsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
cfriend416
DIS Veteran

I second staying in Portsmouth, NH! There is a wide variety of hotels, from the chain type to the more upscale. It's only about 15 minutes from York and there's so much to do - shops (no sales tax!), restaurants, historic areas, etc. It's a beautiful city. Plus, if there's a day you don't feel like facing the insane tourist crowds in York but still want to go to the ocean, you can check out one of the quiet NH state park beaches in nearby Rye.

Also, if you're into beer, there are several great craft breweries in and around Portsmouth.
cfriend416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran

I can't make a good recommendation of where to stay as I have family with a condo in the area so we almost always stay there. And I lived in York one summer doing an internship with their Historical Society.

However, I did have to stay in a motel once so I can recommend that you NOT stay at the York Harbor Motel (not to be confused with the York Harbor Inn). It was several years ago but it was the worst hotel/motel I've ever stayed in. I slept IN my clothes on top of beach towels that I had packed rather than sleep in the beds. LOL I barely slept at all.
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
KBoopaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
NJlauren
Mouseketeer

Look into renting a house, garnesy brothers is a rental agency up there. I think most of thier rentals are in Wells or Oqunquit. But my family used them for years to rent now we use them to rent out our home. I love it up there enjoy!!!
NJlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

Check out The Captain's Quarters in Ogunquit. Two bedrooms with a kitchen...we go in June and I think usually pay around 189. Keep in mind they are pet friendly ( we travel with our dog) but it's spotless and the rooms are so niceLy designed.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Colonial Village Resort, on Route 1 in Ogunquit has rooms with kitchens. I do not know what their rates are.

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the responses so far - I will check them all out
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

Everyone will have opinions but my favorite lobster roll is at the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport and don't miss Bread and Roses bakery in Ogunquit. Oh so good.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
Everyone will have opinions but my favorite lobster roll is at the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport and don't miss Bread and Roses bakery in Ogunquit. Oh so good.
The Lobster Shack in Perkins Cove too. Yum

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
magsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
I ADORE Bread and Roses- get my coffee there everyday! We like Ogunquit Lobster Pound for steamers!
magsmum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: