DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
crisi
DIS Veteran

There are a few interesting looking B&Bs in the town of Volcano. I'd be really tempted to stay there. Nothing fancy or resorty. Its a little town that makes a living on tourists coming to see the volcano. The downside is that sometimes the town smells, well, like sulfur.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
downontheBW

DIS Veteran

Another suggestion...

... we love to do a day trip to Lahaina on West Maui. You can fly directly into Kapalua (JHM) airport and take a taxi into Lahaina (10 min). You could rent a car but it would be an offsite company and may not be worth the time and cost.

Lahaina is a great little walking town; it used to be a whaling town. The main street has many restaurants and art galleries. There a historic old Banyan tree worth a visit, too.

The great thing about flying into Kapalua is that its a really small airport so you'd be in a small plane and its a bit like taking a sightseeing tour over the islands. From Honolulu, you fly over Molokai to get to Kapalua. I think its about a half hour in the air. Once we saw a submarine steaming out of Pearl Harbor. If you go in the winter (Dec-April), West Maui is a good place to see whales.

Kapalua can accommodate small planes (mostly turboprops, I think) and only operates during daylight hours. Hawaiian Air and Island Air fly into there. Check out partnerships with other larger airlines - you can use frequent flier miles (United for sure, maybe others too) to book inter-island flights. It's 5,000 for one-way; 10,000 for round trip.

If you go, have breakfast at Longhi's (Grand Marnier french toast) and a Mai Tai at Kimo's for me. We've done this day trip twice when staying on other islands.

Heidi

downontheBW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by downontheBW View Post
... we love to do a day trip to Lahaina on West Maui. You can fly directly into Kapalua (JHM) airport and take a taxi into Lahaina (10 min). You could rent a car but it would be an offsite company and may not be worth the time and cost.

Lahaina is a great little walking town; it used to be a whaling town. The main street has many restaurants and art galleries. There a historic old Banyan tree worth a visit, too.

The great thing about flying into Kapalua is that its a really small airport so you'd be in a small plane and its a bit like taking a sightseeing tour over the islands. From Honolulu, you fly over Molokai to get to Kapalua. I think its about a half hour in the air. Once we saw a submarine steaming out of Pearl Harbor. If you go in the winter (Dec-April), West Maui is a good place to see whales.

Kapalua can accommodate small planes (mostly turboprops, I think) and only operates during daylight hours. Hawaiian Air and Island Air fly into there. Check out partnerships with other larger airlines - you can use frequent flier miles (United for sure, maybe others too) to book inter-island flights. It's 5,000 for one-way; 10,000 for round trip.

If you go, have breakfast at Longhi's (Grand Marnier french toast) and a Mai Tai at Kimo's for me. We've done this day trip twice when staying on other islands.
If you decide to fly into Kapalua, there are several car rental companies that offer free shuttles. We have used Alamo, but there are others. Here is a link to info:
http://www.destination360.com/car-re...rt-rental-cars
Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
bbowers
Dog Mommy

If you do go to the volcano, I highly recommend NativeGuideHawaii (.com) for a personalized tour by a former national park employee. Warren was wonderful and took us to lots of places we never would have gotten had we gone on our own.

CR 4/72, 3/74, 11/76, 12/82, Offsite 8/79, FW 7/76, 5/93, DI 10/96, ASM 11/99, DLand 5/00, DTD Hilton 6/03, VWL/AKL 11/03, OKW 6/04, DCL/HH 09/04, OKW/DCL(2005 Member Cruise)/SSR 09/05, BCV 10/07,BWV 09/08, BWV 09/09,BWV 05/12

bbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
amym2
DIS Veteran

We flew into Hilo and stayed a few nights at the Volcano Village Lodge B&B near Volcanoes Nat'l Park. The B&B was awesome! Not sure if they have a minimum night requirement. We also really enjoyed Kona- stumbled upon Bayview Farms coffee farm and got our own little tour. So many neat things to see on the Big Island, but you would want multiple days to see Kona/Volcano/Hilo.

Since we've done the Big Island, I'm looking into either Kauai or Maui and can't choose between them. Both sound beautiful!
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #21
spleen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahantas View Post
Do you know how long it is to drive from Kona to the volcanoes? We are in the very early stages of planning a trip to Aulani and I have decided that seeing Volcano National Park is a must do so we'll probably spend a couple of days on the Big Island but my husband would like to stay in Kona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
It will take you a good 3 hours if you don't stop anywhere along the way (and there are sights to see along the way). When we are in Hawaii we always stay near Kona and when we drive to the Volcano Park we leave early in the morning and don't get back until dark. The roads outside of towns are not well lit so we try to do the trip in daylight.
An advantage of staying in Kona if you are there for a few days is that Kona is sunny while Hilo is rainy. Also, you can drive the other direction (not towards Volcano Park) from Kona and see totally different sights--lovely beaches and, if you go far enough, Parker Ranch. Depending on the time of year, there are places to see whales when you head north from Kona.
Jean's right - about 2-3 hours one way (it always takes longer than i give it time for!) if you go by Waimea/Parker Ranch. I've screwed up many a dinner reservation back in Kona because of this It's quicker if you take Saddle Road but not recommended for rental cars (or at least not until recently - it's supposed to be a lot better now but we haven't been back since the repaved road/highway opened).

But this is the way that we typically do Hilo - drive in from Kona in the morning and drive back in late afternoon/early night. It's a pretty long day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: