DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Atchley
"Bedsheets? Who invited that kid?"

Gift Cards?

I was thinking about purchasing Gift Cards with the money that I am saving for Disney so that I would not spend the money on anything else. My question is, can I give the gift cards to the front desk to apply payment for my room key before I charge or can I go down and pay the balance on my room every couple of days?
Has anyone done this? What do you think the pluses and minuses are of this?
I will not use all of the money to purchase gift cards, but a large portion of it I will. I know not everyplace takes the gift cards in the parks.
I hope I posted this question in the right place.

May 28/May 31 2015-CBR May 31/June 6-AKV May 30/31 2013-ASMo May31/June 8 2013-AKVJune 6/9 2012-CBRJune 9/16 2012-VWL
Sept 4/11 2010-BLTSept 3/8 2009-PORJuly 17/25 2009-WLJuly 19/26 2008-WL July 15/22 2006-CBR July 20/26 2003-ASMo
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

We have done it. I've been told by some people you can apply the gift cards before you charge anything, but on our last trip they weren't able to do this (maybe our CM just didn't know how). So we just charged, and then went down and applied our gift cards to that balance when we wanted to. I think the only catch is make sure you do it at least 1 day before you check out, if you try to do it on checkout morning, I think the balance has already been charged to the credit card you have on file.

Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
edk35
DIS Veteran

We applied gift cards to our charges last Jan. I am not sure if you can apply a gift card first though. Good question though. Maybe someone else has tried and it worked and they will post on here.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
LauraLea
DIS Veteran

they will apply the Disney Visa Rewards card balance in advance, but only apply gift cards after charges have been made to the room.

Laura
LauraLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Some gift cards don't work well at hotels or other "service" type places. I have a $50 gift card that someone gave me, and could not apply the whole $50 to our room charges. I also couldn't use it here at home for a haircut. Something about the cards being designed to hold something back in case there is a gratuity. Pretty sure this isn't the case with Disney gift cards, so if that's what you meant--never mind.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Assuming you are talking about Disney gift cards and not generic gift cards. You can pay off your balance before they charge your card. However, consider if you really want to tie the cash up in the Disney gift cards. Owning DVC you will almost definitely be going back, but some people don't like to tie up the cash in case they need to do something else with the money. If you have an unfortunate need to pull out cash to pay for something, car repairs, medical issues, etc, if you have it tied up in gift cards, you are SOL, but if it is still in cash, then you can use it for the emergency. Unless you happen to have a store nearby that is running a deal so you get more than face value, Disney gets your cash upfront with no real benefit to you. You are better off opening a new savings account, and making a few bucks while the money sits in the account. From a usability standpoint, there is no real draw back to saving money in the gift cards, but it's a questionable decision from a financial standpoint.
Generic gift cards are in my opinion, a definite no no. You end up either paying fees to get the card issue, or pay fees on a monthly basis. Either way you lose.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountdew1 View Post
Assuming you are talking about Disney gift cards and not generic gift cards. You can pay off your balance before they charge your card. However, consider if you really want to tie the cash up in the Disney gift cards. Owning DVC you will almost definitely be going back, but some people don't like to tie up the cash in case they need to do something else with the money. If you have an unfortunate need to pull out cash to pay for something, car repairs, medical issues, etc, if you have it tied up in gift cards, you are SOL, but if it is still in cash, then you can use it for the emergency. Unless you happen to have a store nearby that is running a deal so you get more than face value, Disney gets your cash upfront with no real benefit to you. You are better off opening a new savings account, and making a few bucks while the money sits in the account. From a usability standpoint, there is no real draw back to saving money in the gift cards, but it's a questionable decision from a financial standpoint.
Generic gift cards are in my opinion, a definite no no. You end up either paying fees to get the card issue, or pay fees on a monthly basis. Either way you lose.
Everything listed above makes alot of sense and is very logical. That said, I saved up for my family tickets with gift cards over the past 12 months b/c i knew it would be the only way I wouldn't use the money for something else. the only advantage(?) is that it locks your money into Disney... which has it's risks. But for me, it worked.
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

We use Disney Gift Cards to pay our bill at the front desk all of the time. this last ime we not only had 12 Gift Cards with us, but purchased gift cards in the MK to use.

Group one - purchaseSam's gift card at Walmart on Disney Visa. Take Sam's gift card to Sam's and purchase the Disney Gift Card that was offered at a reduced rate from the cash value that gives the $10 special merchandise Gift Card on top ot the cash value you are spending. Now you have the Disney Rewards and the $10 Gift Cards for fun in WDW.

Group Two - DW found that if you purchare a gift card at the Merchantile on Main Street USA, you get a free pin, one that only comes with the gift cards. Purchase a bunch of those, take the boat over to WL, turn them in to the front desk for your room charges, keep the pin free, get the Disney Visa Rewards for the next trip.

Keep in mind that the Disney Rewards Visa only pays at 1%, so other cards really do you better, but don't offer at much fun when you pull it out and use it.

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14][SSR 5/15][VWL 10/15][VWL 12/15]
[..& Still Planning]
Dizny Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: