Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!
 
Tinker'n'Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ask, I may tell!
Posts: 8,589

Airtran was budget friendly but....

I tried posting on the Transportation boards but received no replies. I would assume since Airtran was budget for me, the same may apply here. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Here is my post from over there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I was finally able to get a great price in December flying down via Southwest, but all the flights home were way out of my budget.

Found a Non-stop perfect timing with AirTran. I know I will have to check a bag, so that is $20.00. How are they with booking with a disability. I did not pay for seats since we don't have to sit together, but I have to be seated without being bumped (physically, not off the flight) and can not carry or put my carry-on up. DH and DS will be with me.

So can you enlighten me on Airtran 2012. Thanks.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran
 
GaSleepingBeautyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,965

I fly Airtran alot. As long as you have someone who can put your carryon bag up for you, you will be fine.

If you let them know you are disabled, they should let you be the first to board. I have seen them board others who are disabled first.

I'm not sure about not getting bumped. The seating for flights is tight. I've often ended up bumping arms or shoulders with others while being seated. It just depends on how big the person is next to you. That has been an issue for me on any airline.

I'd suggest trying to ask your question on the disabilities board. I'm sure someone there could answer your questions more accurately.
__________________
Me DD15 DS19 DH Lola Rocky Shadow

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,718

I would pay for two of you to have selected seats if they sit two to a side. Are you able to sit in the window seat? If so, the only person that could bump you would be one of your own family members. Seat selection is only $6 (at least it was on our flight). That is a small price to pay for extra comfort. Good luck!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,239

We flew Airtran when my husband had a broken foot. When I called and told them about his need for extra room, they assigned us seats without us having to pay, which was very nice of them. We carried a copy of his x-ray (he wasn't in a cast) in case anyone asked, but no one did.
__________________
Baby Z is here!! May 21, 2012- We're in LOVE!

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!
 
HayGan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!
Posts: 8,795

It sounds as if you do really need to sit together with your family to insure that you don't get bumped physically by another passenger. The airline can't guarantee that you won't get bumped and neither can another passenger. Things happen and even though people are generally cautious it can happen. I travel quite frequently and bumps happen all the time. I have even had elbows (and unfortunately large hevay bags) to the head. No one did it on purpose and some were even being careless but there is no way that their airline could have insured it not happening.

Spend the few extra $$ to give yourself a little more piece of mind and reserve your seats totgether. You take the window seat in order to avoid being bumped as people pass thru the aisle.
__________________
***
Last Trips home: June 2011 - 2 whole weeks @ Home Sweet Kidani! & The BIG B-Day October 2012 @ BLT,
One week just isn't enough so have to go for THREE trip - June 2013 @ AKV Value - Woo Hoo!,
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Mickey527
DIS Veteran
 
Mickey527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Bridgeport, CT USA
Posts: 4,947

I have flown Air Tran a few times. I also have a problem with being bumped but luckily it is only one arm. I have lymphedema on my right arm and can't have anyone bump that arm.
I have never paid to choose a seat early, I go to the desk at the airport and tell them the problem and they get me a window seat on the right side of the plane so my arm is protected. the one time I did book a seat early I found out at the gate that they had moved me to an aisle seat because they had a family that they wanted to sit together. So they moved things around again to find a place for me
Since you have problems with both sides you either have to sit by a window and trust your family not to bump you or pay for an extra seat.
Call the airline and ask about a 2nd seat for medical purposes. I know most airlines will refund the money for the 2nd seat if the plane is not totally booked. the only way to find out the rules is to call and ask.
__________________
My mother named me Margaret, but I answer to "Fiesta Margarita"
59 is not so old after all. Cancer really makes you realize how important life is
Mickey527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!
 
Tinker'n'Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ask, I may tell!
Posts: 8,589

I can't put my carry on up so my husband does that. With Southwest I board with the wheelchairs. Once I am seated I am okay. It would just be the time where I walk down the aisle. After I am seated I put on a neck stabilizer (used only for sitting, not something you would walk around with) and I am fine.

I guess a better question is if I pay for my seat will they allow DH to bring me in at the start of the flight, seat me, then he could leave. It really doesn't matter where we sit or if together. Just need to be seated before people start pushing in their overheads.

Thanks for the replies, I hope my post makes sense. I also wait and leave the plane last so that I am not in anyone's way after we get the okay to embark.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I can't put my carry on up so my husband does that. With Southwest I board with the wheelchairs. Once I am seated I am okay. It would just be the time where I walk down the aisle. After I am seated I put on a neck stabilizer (used only for sitting, not something you would walk around with) and I am fine.

I guess a better question is if I pay for my seat will they allow DH to bring me in at the start of the flight, seat me, then he could leave. It really doesn't matter where we sit or if together. Just need to be seated before people start pushing in their overheads.

Thanks for the replies, I hope my post makes sense. I also wait and leave the plane last so that I am not in anyone's way after we get the okay to embark.
I might be misunderstanding but why would you have DH sit you and then leave to reboard? I would just pay the $6 for the seats you want and then tell them you need to board first (medical preboard) so you don't get bumped.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!
 
Tinker'n'Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ask, I may tell!
Posts: 8,589

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I might be misunderstanding but why would you have DH sit you and then leave to reboard? I would just pay the $6 for the seats you want and then tell them you need to board first (medical preboard) so you don't get bumped.
Now that I understand Airtran and their procedures I will. I was just wondering since they are now Southwest and I was curious if they used Southwest's policy on disability seating.

I am going in and will pre-purchase a seat for all of us and then ask if we can or DH and I can board first with whatever group they call it. Since DS will have a seat he can board as the procedure for Airtran.

Thanks everyone for giving me the insight on the policy. I actually dislike all the looks I get when I board so I try to do it as silent as possible.

CCgirl - I did think it was way more expensive to purchase seats, last time we had to pay for them it was a lot more. Thank you for giving me the price.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
jessica52877
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,496

I love airtran! I believe the whole family will be allowed to pre-board with you. When I had a child in a carseat they always had us board together even though I was the only one that needed on to install the seat. You can pick you seat at check in so if you weren't to pay you would still have an assigned seat before boarding, it is a bit different from southwest. I do not look forward to southwest taking over entirely.
__________________

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
ElaineMarch
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 159

I flew on airtran relatively soon after a back surgery. I called their disability line to request help with lifting my carryon up and getting it down again. They said they could do that and noted it on my reservation. The rep then offered to assign me bulk head seating with no charge. I would get the phone # from the airtran site then call and see what help they could give you.

good luck!!
ElaineMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
Now that I understand Airtran and their procedures I will. I was just wondering since they are now Southwest and I was curious if they used Southwest's policy on disability seating.

I am going in and will pre-purchase a seat for all of us and then ask if we can or DH and I can board first with whatever group they call it. Since DS will have a seat he can board as the procedure for Airtran.

Thanks everyone for giving me the insight on the policy. I actually dislike all the looks I get when I board so I try to do it as silent as possible.

CCgirl - I did think it was way more expensive to purchase seats, last time we had to pay for them it was a lot more. Thank you for giving me the price.
You are welcome, there are more expensive seats on the plane, I always just chose the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
I love airtran! I believe the whole family will be allowed to pre-board with you. When I had a child in a carseat they always had us board together even though I was the only one that needed on to install the seat. You can pick you seat at check in so if you weren't to pay you would still have an assigned seat before boarding, it is a bit different from southwest. I do not look forward to southwest taking over entirely.
If you pick your seats at check in you can only choose what is left, which often is just middle seats. Personally, if I needed to install a car seat I would pay in advance so I was sitting next to the car seat. I know the flight attendants would switch people around so I could sit next to said car seat but I wouldn't want anyone moved because I didn't pay for seats ahead of time (not saying that is what you did). Funny how opinions can vary, I would rather pay $6 for a seat than the $10 for a chance at a better seat (EBCI) with Southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineMarch View Post
I flew on airtran relatively soon after a back surgery. I called their disability line to request help with lifting my carryon up and getting it down again. They said they could do that and noted it on my reservation. The rep then offered to assign me bulk head seating with no charge. I would get the phone # from the airtran site then call and see what help they could give you.

good luck!!
Good point. If you call them, they may be able to assign you bulk head seating (if it's not taken already) free of charge.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
Now that I understand Airtran and their procedures I will. I was just wondering since they are now Southwest and I was curious if they used Southwest's policy on disability seating.
FYI, AirTran and WN are not the same airline; they still operate separately.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
jessica52877
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,496

I was just saying that her husband wouldn't have to leave the plane once he helped her on because of seating arrangements. No matter what at boarding everyone will have a seat assigned.

I also purchase a seat, $6 is a steal to know where I am sitting and especially when traveling with a child. I would never expect someone to switch seats with me because I was too cheap, nor would I expect someone else to sit next to my child. This is one reason I am not fond of SW taking over Airtran! More then likely delta will get my business if/when they merge completely. Out of ATL Delta usually competes price wise with the bargain carriers.
__________________

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer
 
4GoofyCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I would pay for two of you to have selected seats if they sit two to a side. Are you able to sit in the window seat? If so, the only person that could bump you would be one of your own family members. Seat selection is only $6 (at least it was on our flight). That is a small price to pay for extra comfort. Good luck!
Exactly what I was thinking! The seats are tight and the aisle is narrow. The window seat with a family member next to you will definitely be your best bet.

We alway pay the extra $6 pp each way to assign seats because I want a kid with each adult.

Just something to think about: I hate it when people are too cheap to pay the extra but then expect others who have thought ahead (and paid extra) will be willing to move to accomodate. Most travelers will feel the same way and I dare bet most will be unwilling to move for you if you want a window vs. an aisle, etc. I would be proactive and spend the extra bit of money for your comfort and peace of mind. Then you will know exactly what you are getting too!
__________________
ME DH DD(9) DS(5)
10-2002 AS MUSIC *Before Kids*
01-2011 AS MOVIES Free DDP
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.