Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #91
Mom2Kaylee
DCL, DVC, & WDW Addict

Our first cruise (including other lines) was on the Magic 4/9/11 Eastern. It was myself, my daughter, my mom & her best friend! We all went to the Tea with Alice and found ourselves with front row seats. At the end of tea everyone takes pics with Alice and the Mad Hatter and we ended up being last with where we were seated. DD spent about 10 mins talking Alice & the Mad Hatters ears off! We took so many pics and she had such a great time with them! As we were leaving my moms best friend told me the CM just asked her for our room number. The last night of the cruise we received the invite to the special Studio Sea private party with all the characters. Of course I had no idea what it was though, it wasnt specific at all, just please be at the side entrance at whatever time. There was only one other family there and they had no idea what was going on either. When we walked in and saw all the characters coming out it brought tears to see my daughter basically flip out! Heck, I was excited! I couldn't believe it! I recorded the whole thing & took SO many pics! It was a special night!

Our 2nd cruise was on the Dream 7/19/11 and when the till we meet again began, Mickey pulled my DD out and danced with her for a good few minutes She is such a performer so being infront of everyone was nothing to her lol!

We are booked again, thanks to my mom for the surprise, on the Fantasy in September and we look forward to seeing what this one brings Either way we LOVE Disney and will probably never sail with any other line now.

Mom2Kaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #92
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

We had a special moment on the Magic this past summer.

Our cruise had started off rocky (by our own doing) - first when my husband passed my carry-on (without DCL tags) to the porter on embarkation. I waited 5 hours in our cabin for my insulin to be found - and to be able to eat. Next day my eldest son left his prescription glasses on shore in our van - and I waited another 4 hours in the cabin again for the driver to call us. Then for my youngest, the unthinkable happened - my 24 mos old lost his Minnie Mouse somewhere between the 9th and 7th floor while walking back to our cabin.

We searched high and low...and his tears were flowing. Of course we were in dock so the gift shop was closed...there was no replacing. Officer John asked me what was going on...I told him and he helped look up and down the staircase...but no luck.

The next day, after a long day in port, there, on the bed, was a Captain Mickey just for my 2 year old It made all our exhaustion disappear and just made his day - and the rest of his cruise. Captain Mickey went everywhere with him from that moment. Minnie was soon forgotten.
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #93
DisLyd2008
Mouseketeer

This is a cool thread!

2 years ago we took our 6 month old son on his first cruise. He was in the nursery each night for our dinner time. The staff there was SO good to him and really enjoyed having him; probably because he was "easy" and went to sleep about 20 minutes after we dropped him off each night. On the last day of our cruise we put him in the nursery mid afternoon so we could pack and relax on our last day. The staff was SO EXCITED to have him there, and awake, to play with him. When we picked him up in the afternoon they told us how much of a pleasure he was. (Figured they say that to everyone but it was nice to hear). At the end of the night when we picked him up after dinner, they gave him a gift! We didn't open it right away, but it was a cute box wrapped and decorated with Nemo, Dori, and some glitter and silver marker. It was our first time to the nursery so we weren't sure if this was typical or not. The next day when we got home we opened it; it was a fisher price plastic ball that opened up and made sounds and had little things for babies to touch and manipulate. Cool little toy, and definitely not a 'disney stock' gift for everyone. We were pretty impressed. I thought the decoration was so cute that I saved the wrapping and framed it.
DisLyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #94
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I'm sitting here sniffling and teary-eyed. Love these stories.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #95
Renysmom
Just wondering what is going on
Something has to pay for my WDW trips LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.
Totally cried over your story. Congrats to your wonderful daughter and to you for being such a great parent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4mad View Post
. Our server Mihailo
We also had Mihailo as a server and he was amazing!

My story goes like this.. DH and I were walking down the halls of the Dream late one evening last October when DH felt a tap on the shoulder. It was Captain Hook and he bowed, shook DH hand and then took me by the arm and out the door for a stroll on the deck just like in the commercials.. Completely magical

WDW Oct 2005--WDW Dec 2006-- WDW Dec 2007--WDW/Wonder Cruise Oct 2008--WDW March 2009--WDW July 2009--WDW Oct 2009 -- Magic Western Cruise Nov 2009--WDW Dec 2009--WDW Aug 2010--WDW/Wonder Cruise Dec 2010--WDW April 2011--WDW Aug 2011--WDW/Dream Oct 2011--WDW Dec 2011--WDW April 2012--Fantasy Eastern Oct 2012-- WDW May 2013 -- Fantasy Western Sept 2014
Renysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #96
jenandjuice
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There is one bit of pixie dust that still brings tears to my eyes even after all of these years, but it happened at the parks--however, it ends at the ship.

My daughter, at nearly 3, could not speak or walk, and could not really crawl (she would roll). At 3, she would be diagnosed with autism and cerebral palsy.

I was called to a conference in Orlando, and my husband was having difficulties at work, so I took along a neighbor and her child (who was about the same age), and paid for her ticket, and for her to go to the buffets (the girls were young enough that they could get in and eat free that way.)

We went through the Magic Kingdom together, and I couldn't figure out if it had much impact. The other three went to the parks while I went to the conference, and when I was through, I buckled her into her car seat on the plane and she looked at me (which NEVER happened), and said "I saw Mickey!"

I thought I'd lost it, finally. I didn't think I could possibly have heard what I just heard. So I asked her (not really expecting a response), and she replied "I saw Mickey!" They were the first words I ever heard her say.

The second time we took her, she doubled her vocabulary.

The third time we took her, she hugged us for the very first time.

Progress was slow but steady, and she worked very, very hard at school, at home, in speech and occupational therapy, and with all of the social skills training.

When she was in 7th grade, she walked in with a prep sheet for Radiologic Technology, handed it to me and said, "I want to do this. What do I have to do to make it happen?" It was a very demanding course of study--she would have to take summer school the summer before her Freshman and Sophomore year, and probably try to prepare for Running Start, a program which allows advanced students to take college courses instead of their junior and senior year in high school.

She did it all. The child who couldn't use complete sentences in kindergarten is now taking Precalculus and AP Biology. I am just about to scan in her application to Running Start, and everybody is certain she will be accepted, and she will be released from special education at the end of this school year.

For her 16th birthday, she asked to take a Disney cruise to Alaska again this year. (We took one last year.) I am so proud of her I can't even tell you. But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.
I haven't completed reading this and had to stop just to say this made me bawl!!! Like a baby!!!

Truly inspiring and sounds like you have an amazing daughter!

Blessings to you and your family!
jenandjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #97
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4mad View Post

. Our server Mihailo made origami for our girls almost every night of the 15 night cruise. The last night our DD6 lost her first tooth ever! Quite inconvenient the last night of a 15 night cruise when all the "tooth fairy" has left is $20's-also had to field questions like "How will tooth fairy know where to find me?-we told her Tinkerbell would help her. Anyway, it hadn't fallen out yet at dinner and she was very unhappy, whining, crying. I took her back to our cabin before I had eaten, and 15 minutes later here comes Mihailo with both of our dinners. We didn't even mention anything to him about my not eating. He just took it upon himself to bring it up.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renysmom View Post

We also had Mihailo as a server and he was amazing!

Isn't he great? He's on the DREAM now

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #98
ewinme
Mouseketeer

My magical moment occured on a cruise i didn't even get to go on. A couple of years ago my parents were going on a cruise for their 40th anniversary. My husband and I had been on one a year before and loved it and i was quite jealous.

I wanted to do something special to let my parents know how much they meant to me even though I wasn't with them. So I visited the dis cruise meet for their trip (she had not yet discovered the dis boards) and asked if there was anyway that someone could put a happy anniversay magnet on their door. Well I was not prepared for what happened. They did not get a single magnet, they got an entire door full. In addition those in the cruise meet took it upon themselves to make my parents a FE and included them in the gifts delivered.

Needless to say there were many tears shed, and they still talk about it today.

Last summer we took my girls on their first cruise with my parents. We did magents and we did the FE but we also tried to spread the magic by taking extra magnets with us and putting them on empty doors as we walked around the halls.

Disney is just full of magical moments for everyone!!

ewinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #99
miry
Mouseketeer

We had our own sweet magic moment on the Wonder in December. I'm a single mom and I try and take my son, 13 years old, to as many different places as possible. He still enjoys dressing up and on the first night we were waiting for the tree lighting to take place when a cast members asked if he would like to help light the tree. I'm still not sure if he really wanted to or not, but he smiled and said he would. So off he went. I think he was the oldest child involved in the tree lighting. His role and that of the other kids involved was to throw pixie dust on the tree so that it would light up. Knowing that I am an avid scrapbooker, the first thing he did was put a few of the mickey mouse head pixie dust confetti into his pocket for my scrapbook. For me that experience was so much fun and so special because he of the simple fact that he thought about what I would like too. He also got a small cruise line bag with small treats in it for helping out.

Our server on this trip was James from St. Vincent. One of the other things that was really fun for everyone at our table is that each evening once James took our desert order he came back to the table with crayons and created puzzles for the kids to try and figure out. It was always fun and after the second night the kids were trying to plan their own puzzles for James.

We have never traveled on any other cruise line, but truthfully I can't imagine that they are as wonderful as Disney. When we travel with Disney we feel like we are visiting our favorite family members who are so happy to see us that the make a fuss and make us feel extra special. We love you Disney!

Disneyland 1978 Disneyland 1982 Disneyland 2002 Disneyland 2003 Polynesian 2005 All Star Movies 2006 Disneyland 2007 Port Orleans Riverside 2008 Wonder Bahamas 2008 Caribbean Beach 2009 Pop Century 2010 Magic Western Caribbean 2010 Disneyland 2011 Wonder Mexican Riviera 2011 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 2012
miry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #100
Tehanna
It's FISH EXTENDER, not Fish Exchange!

I bump this thread from time to time, because I love it so much.

There also have been some threads that have gone negative lately, and this thread always gives me a good "pixie dust" feeling that I want to share.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Last edited by Tehanna; 05-04-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Tehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #101
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
There is one bit of pixie dust that still brings tears to my eyes even after all of these years, but it happened at the parks--however, it ends at the ship.

My daughter, at nearly 3, could not speak or walk, and could not really crawl (she would roll). At 3, she would be diagnosed with autism and cerebral palsy.

I was called to a conference in Orlando, and my husband was having difficulties at work, so I took along a neighbor and her child (who was about the same age), and paid for her ticket, and for her to go to the buffets (the girls were young enough that they could get in and eat free that way.)

We went through the Magic Kingdom together, and I couldn't figure out if it had much impact. The other three went to the parks while I went to the conference, and when I was through, I buckled her into her car seat on the plane and she looked at me (which NEVER happened), and said "I saw Mickey!"

I thought I'd lost it, finally. I didn't think I could possibly have heard what I just heard. So I asked her (not really expecting a response), and she replied "I saw Mickey!" They were the first words I ever heard her say.

The second time we took her, she doubled her vocabulary.

The third time we took her, she hugged us for the very first time.

Progress was slow but steady, and she worked very, very hard at school, at home, in speech and occupational therapy, and with all of the social skills training.

When she was in 7th grade, she walked in with a prep sheet for Radiologic Technology, handed it to me and said, "I want to do this. What do I have to do to make it happen?" It was a very demanding course of study--she would have to take summer school the summer before her Freshman and Sophomore year, and probably try to prepare for Running Start, a program which allows advanced students to take college courses instead of their junior and senior year in high school.

She did it all. The child who couldn't use complete sentences in kindergarten is now taking Precalculus and AP Biology. I am just about to scan in her application to Running Start, and everybody is certain she will be accepted, and she will be released from special education at the end of this school year.

For her 16th birthday, she asked to take a Disney cruise to Alaska again this year. (We took one last year.) I am so proud of her I can't even tell you. But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.
Sitting here with tears streaming down my face. What a Magical Moment indeed! Congratulations to your daughter for all of her accomplishments. & Congratulations to you and your husband for encouraging her and teaching her to reach for the stars and dream big because dreams really do come true!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #102
livie1205
DIS Veteran

we just got off the dream thurs from our very first cruise,here is our "pixie dust" the cruise director came to our room after i had stopped her in the atrim to ask her if the pizza on deck 11 would open back up that evening since I did not know they closed it during dinner....well any she came to our room 1 hour later and told me that they would like to invite our party (of 12) to go eat in cabanas( which was closed because they dont have buffet last night) ....JUST US! well we arrived to one big table near the curved window set up with all the nice dishes and 3 servers (mangs dressed in their whites) and gave us a choice of any menu on the ship!! we chose royal palace menu and after dessert they all carried in ANOTHER dessert from PALO for us with pictures for all the kids signed by all the characters!! IT WAS AMAZING!! they even stuck around and joked and told us mind teasers through our meal!! BEST CRUISE EVER!!
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #103
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

While not nearly as touching as some of the other stories, it was still something extra special. On our last cruise - Dream last month - my husband was celebrating his birthday. When we returned from an awesome, relaxing day on Castaway Cay, our cabin hostess had prepared a "birthday cake" (from towels) complete with ribbon and a hand written note for my DH. We thought it was a neat, extra touch.

Additionally, on the same cruise, my DD (15) found that the Easter Bunny had paid her bunk a visit and left a little gift bag of Easter Candies. Don't know if that was cruise wide or just special "pixie dust" from our hostess.

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #104
USUKMama
Mouseketeer

Mellers - that is the most amazing story!

We have only been on two cruises but have two "magical moments". On our first cruise we were picked to be family of the cruise. It was brilliant - there were different surprises in our cabin every night and we were invited to the concierge party. My husband got to talk to Donald Duck using his Donald Duck voice - priceless!

Our second cruise was a couple of weeks ago. My daughter and her cousin ran into Snow White without anyone else around. She kneeled down to let them have a photo with her. The boat rocked as she did this and they all fell over ("Mummy, I fell on Snow White!"). She was great about that but the best was later in the cruise. They met her again and reminded her of the fall. Next thing we knew there was an invitation to the pre party on the last night (before the Till we Meet Again). Amazing!!! My daughter teamed up with Peter Pan and crept up on Captain Hook going, "Tick Tock" - love it!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #105
ruley3
DIS Veteran

So glad I had chance to read these wonderful moments..... Glad it got bumped!!!! I hace a few that come to mind over years...

Our Waiter bringing my little brother creme brulee every single evening

At midnight when I was sitting up with Lance as a toddler due to his reflux the CM at guest services presented him with a captain mickey plush and told him Mickey wanted him to have it to feel better!

My teen Layne spending over two hours up in the mass communications room "learning" how all the systems work!!! (Invited since the cable went down for a bit in the cabin)

Layla at age 3 standing in hallway near shutters and Mickey and Minnie appeared out of nowhere and Layla said nanana you can't catch me and took off running and both of them followed her all the way down the hallway while she giggled and giggled.

Most wonderful thing is closing my eyes at many places on the MAGIC and remembering my Mom and feeling her laughter inside my heart and knowing I will always have those moments to cherish!

Gold Member "Vacation to save Sanity"

ruley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: