Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #76
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired26 View Post
I don't know if it's true pixie dust, but there were quite a few things that made our Nov 2010 cruise on the Wonder magical.
We are a family of 3, and my DS (who was 5) loves bunkbed, and so our room steward pulled the bunk out of the ceiling every night, even though he could have slept on the pullout couch.
Our servers were also "wonder"ful. Daniel picked up that chocolate milk was my DS' favourite drink, and it was at every meal ready to go when we sat down. We had also marked down that we were celebrating his birthday, and so in Animator's Palate, Vladimir and Daniel brought out a cake with a chocolate model of the Wonder on top, made him a little hat out of a napkin (he looked like Peter Pan), and then brought all the servers around to sing him Happy Birthday. We couldn't wipe that smile off his face for a week!
The servers were so attentive, and even picked up on the fact my SIL wasn't really enjoying her meal (she had tried something new) and Vladimir took it away and brought her a piping hot different meal.
We were so amazed by the attentiveness of all the CMs, and so we are so excited that we get to back on the Wonder in March!!
Wishing pixie dust on all cruisers.
Vladimir is my favorite CM on the Wonder. He was in Palo last January and I adored him. We cruise again in 3 weeks and I have requested him for both of our Palo meals. I really hope he is still on the Wonder!!
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #77
Glitzytraveller
Mouseketeer

Bumping to hear more great stories. Keep them coming...

Past Trips:
Disney Wonder January 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas October 2012
Disney Dream Bahamas January 2012
NCL Epic Europe Cruise May 2011
NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii Cruise June 2005
Disney Wonder Bahamas August 2000
Disney Big Red Boat Bahamas August 1992
Glitzytraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #78
mddisneyfamily
Mouseketeer

One night on the Dream all 4 of my kids decided to order steak for dinner. My server must have known I'd have my hands full because after the meals were delivered he grabbed the head server and assistant server and they all started cutting steaks. Doesn't sound like much, but since I thought I was going to have to spend my whole meal time cutting it felt like a magical moment to me!
mddisneyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #79
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
There have been so many special touches over the years....

The server who learned that DD's favorite (change that, ONLY vege she would eat) was broccoli. Each night she was served a bowl of steamed broccoli, even when it wasn't on the menu. The night she asked for a hamburger when it wasn't on the menu--I later learned that they'd sent someone to Pluto's to get one for her. The time she wore a headband with antlers that lit up to the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony and a CM handed her a little stuffed Mickey and thanked her for "getting all dressed up for our party." The time we reported a problem in our stateroom and the next day received a gift pack of toiletries with a note THANKING US for allowing them to correct the problem. The CM who saw us boarding and screamed my daughter's name from the deck 4 balcony...we hadn't been on the ship for a year and she remembered the name! David and the tutu (nuff said for anyone who has seen it )The list just goes on and on!
Our's was our server Typhoon from Turkey who remembered us:
Went on a family cruise and Typhoon was our waiter. 18 months later, DW and I went on a last minute weekend get away cruise, went to PC for embarktation lunch, Typhoon saw us walking up the hall and came out of line to welcome us back. He servered our lunch at one of his assigned tables, telling us he had been home twice and gotten married the last time. We went to the dining change location, requested Typoon for our server, and it was granted. What a way to be remembered, 18 months later and getting married.

Last edited by com_op_2000; 01-12-2012 at 11:23 PM.
com_op_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #80
FrogLady23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddisneyfamily View Post
One night on the Dream all 4 of my kids decided to order steak for dinner. My server must have known I'd have my hands full because after the meals were delivered he grabbed the head server and assistant server and they all started cutting steaks. Doesn't sound like much, but since I thought I was going to have to spend my whole meal time cutting it felt like a magical moment to me!
I love how they think AND do the littlest things that make such a difference. They do everything possible to make your vacation awesome. Yes, it was a little thing, but you will probably never forget it. As a mom, I hate that I almost never get a hot meal, sometimes not even warm. (Well, my kiddos are getting older so it is getting better, but when they were little, something always needed cutting, wiping, seconds, etc.....). Disney recognizes that and lets you be on vacation from dinner duties.

Magic Eastern Caribbean March 2011
Magic Western Caribbean March 2012
FrogLady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #81
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

OMG! I'm sitting at work right now (bad I know) and I'm in tears reading half of these stories! We're going on our first cruise in 30 days and even if none of this happens to us, to know it happened to others is enough to get me even more excited!
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #82
mummy lee
Earning My Ears

Our first cruise in 2010 had lot's of magic moments........

I was traveling alone with my 2 children the youngest of which Alice has severe microcephaly and cerebral hypoplasia and uses a wheelchair so everyone that met us remembered us.

We were always greeted by name by the cm's and the characters spent so much time with Alice because it was so obvious she adored them.

On our last evening there was an invitation left in our stateroom to go to a special character greeting. When we arrived there was us and 2 other families. The room quickly filled with all of the characters ready for the farewell party so Alice got to spend 30 mins playing with the characters, it was just so special.

Also that evening when we arrived at our table for our meal there was an envelope addressed to me, inside there was a note saying what a wonderful mom I had been and a mickey charm for my bracelet (somebody had spotted I had worn my charm bracelet every evening) I never managed to discover who it was from but it made me feel so special.

Looking forward to our next cruise on the fantasy, you just can't buy those special moments x
mummy lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #83
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

What wonderful stories you all have! Thank you for sharing and reminding me of the main reasons we cruise Disney...the cast members. There are so many caring, thoughtful, and kind people working on those ships that I wish I could hug every one of them. And that is the common thread among all these stories...the terrific CMs. Thanks to all of them for doing an extraordinary job and making our time with them so memorable.

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #84
alikat99
NO! Don't make me go to Super WalMart!!!
Where, oh where, is that Twilight Zone music?!?!?!?!

These are all wonderful stories! We've sailed on DCL 8 times and have ONLY sailed DCL, all because of our very first cruise on the Magic back in 2003.

We had stayed at the Hilton at Downtown Disney the night before our cruise (as we had gone to MNSSHP that night). In the morning, we headed out for our first DCL adventure. We boarded and were sitting at lunch when one of our DISfriends mentioned Formal night and panicked I realized that we forgot our Formal clothes in the closet at the Hilton. Immediately DH went to Guest Services to see how much time he had to get off the ship, drive back to Orlando and get our stuff and get back onboard. The CM made some calls and told DH to wait and not get off the ship yet. After a few calls, CM told DH that they had a driver heading over to the Hilton to pick up our stuff and they'd have it brought to the ship. And, if for some reason it didn't make it before we left, they promised to deliver it to Key West for us to get when we got there. After the lifeboat drill, our clothes were in our room. AMAZING service that I will never forget.

Other small things - that same cruise our server realized that my DD (2 at the time) only ate the grapes from the kids fruit cup, so every night he had a bowl of grapes sitting at her seat.

DH's favorite appetizer is the escargot, and after realizing that it was his fave, they had it every night for him!

We've made friends with some CMs and they still remember us, even after not sailing for a year.

There's a reason that we only sail DCL and it's all about their CMs!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #85
Disney Fool

The name says it all

This is small but humorous. Disney Dream, November 2011, we had a Cat.4B cabin with a stuck locked veranda door. I called the steward, who said we probably weren't working it correctly. I persisted, he arrived and he couldn't open it. He called maintenance. Maintenance said he probably wasn't working it correctly. Steward persisted, maintenance arrived, they couldn't fix it. They said they'd be back with more tools. It finally got fixed--the lock was really stuck! It was repaired by the time we finished the sailaway party. After dinner, we returned to the room to find a platter of chocolate covered strawberries dressed in "tuxedos" with a card. "The DCL apologizes for any inconvenience you may have had due to the problems with the door"
It made me think of that Monty Python episode about the couple who complained about the dirty fork! it was just a stuck door! But, hey, they take their jobs seriously--I'm still smiling over those strawberries.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #86
mom4mad
Mouseketeer

The Mellers' story brings tears to my eyes! Especially as I sit here watching Barbie with my DD2, who was diagnosed with a speech disorder last year-she is now climbing on me and screaming "Mickey Boat" in my ear. Her last speech therapy session is next week My DH and I haven't had even .01% of the worry that the Mellers have, so I can't imagine the relief you felt at those first words.

We have had many magical moments on our three cruises. First was on our MR cruise-DD6-who was 3 at the time kept falling asleep at dinner. The first night, the head waiter and our server came over, put two chairs together, and grabbed a clean tablecloth. They helped us put DD to "bed" tableside with chairs and a tablecloth blanket. This occurred 4/7 nights.

Second and more, were on the WBPC 2011. We boarded the ship and had some business to attend to at Guest services. DD 6 noticed Ariel on the balcony above the atrium waving to guests. She went up there and spent about twenty minutes one on one time with Ariel and waving at fellow guests who were boarding. Another night, we came back to pick up DD-18 months in Flounders. She was the only kid there, and was sitting in Princess Tiana's lap reading a book. Another night we came to pick her up, same scenario, but with Snow White rocking her in a rocking chair. The staff at Flounders made us a memory book of her cruise and saved all of her artwork and put in an envelope the last night for us to take home. Our server Mihailo made origami for our girls almost every night of the 15 night cruise. The last night our DD6 lost her first tooth ever! Quite inconvenient the last night of a 15 night cruise when all the "tooth fairy" has left is $20's-also had to field questions like "How will tooth fairy know where to find me?-we told her Tinkerbell would help her. Anyway, it hadn't fallen out yet at dinner and she was very unhappy, whining, crying. I took her back to our cabin before I had eaten, and 15 minutes later here comes Mihailo with both of our dinners. We didn't even mention anything to him about my not eating. He just took it upon himself to bring it up. Another one was Golden Mickey night-our DD6 got interviewed on the red carpet-much to the surprise of her grandparents who were already in the theater and watching it-magical moment for DD and grandparents. Can't wait for our next cruise!
Disney Fantasy Inaugural Eastern Caribbean 2012
DVC member since 2008
mom4mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #87
mom4mad
Mouseketeer

Oh, I almost forgot! At pin trading with officers, my husband and DD 6 went in search of a specific Tinkerbell pin that DD had lost earlier on trip. They didn't find it, but someone sprinkled some pixie dust and a new pin was delivered to our room that night. Not the same pin, but an even better one with Tinkerbell on it.
Disney Fantasy Inaugural Eastern Caribbean 2012
DVC member since 2008
mom4mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #88
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Pass the Kleenex. These are such great memories!

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #89
mddisneyfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat99 View Post

We had stayed at the Hilton at Downtown Disney the night before our cruise (as we had gone to MNSSHP that night). In the morning, we headed out for our first DCL adventure. We boarded and were sitting at lunch when one of our DISfriends mentioned Formal night and panicked I realized that we forgot our Formal clothes in the closet at the Hilton. Immediately DH went to Guest Services to see how much time he had to get off the ship, drive back to Orlando and get our stuff and get back onboard. The CM made some calls and told DH to wait and not get off the ship yet. After a few calls, CM told DH that they had a driver heading over to the Hilton to pick up our stuff and they'd have it brought to the ship. And, if for some reason it didn't make it before we left, they promised to deliver it to Key West for us to get when we got there. After the lifeboat drill, our clothes were in our room. AMAZING service that I will never forget.
Wow! Talk about above and beyond! That is amazing service. Only Disney...
mddisneyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #90
Tehanna
It's FISH EXTENDER, not Fish Exchange!

*bump*

I just love this thread and I'm hoping to hear more stories.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Tehanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: