Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #151
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers
There is one bit of pixie dust that still brings tears to my eyes even after all of these years, but it happened at the parks--however, it ends at the ship.

My daughter, at nearly 3, could not speak or walk, and could not really crawl (she would roll). At 3, she would be diagnosed with autism and cerebral palsy.

I was called to a conference in Orlando, and my husband was having difficulties at work, so I took along a neighbor and her child (who was about the same age), and paid for her ticket, and for her to go to the buffets (the girls were young enough that they could get in and eat free that way.)

We went through the Magic Kingdom together, and I couldn't figure out if it had much impact. The other three went to the parks while I went to the conference, and when I was through, I buckled her into her car seat on the plane and she looked at me (which NEVER happened), and said "I saw Mickey!"

I thought I'd lost it, finally. I didn't think I could possibly have heard what I just heard. So I asked her (not really expecting a response), and she replied "I saw Mickey!" They were the first words I ever heard her say.

The second time we took her, she doubled her vocabulary.

The third time we took her, she hugged us for the very first time.

Progress was slow but steady, and she worked very, very hard at school, at home, in speech and occupational therapy, and with all of the social skills training.

When she was in 7th grade, she walked in with a prep sheet for Radiologic Technology, handed it to me and said, "I want to do this. What do I have to do to make it happen?" It was a very demanding course of study--she would have to take summer school the summer before her Freshman and Sophomore year, and probably try to prepare for Running Start, a program which allows advanced students to take college courses instead of their junior and senior year in high school.

She did it all. The child who couldn't use complete sentences in kindergarten is now taking Precalculus and AP Biology. I am just about to scan in her application to Running Start, and everybody is certain she will be accepted, and she will be released from special education at the end of this school year.

For her 16th birthday, she asked to take a Disney cruise to Alaska again this year. (We took one last year.) I am so proud of her I can't even tell you. But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.

Wow. I'm speechless. What a blessing for you and your family. Also, a blessing for me to read. I wish her all the luck in the world. Keep up the great support, mom!!

Disney Dream December 2012
Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter December 2012
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside December 2013
Ward On Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #152
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Our Pixie dust happened on the Dream. One of my daughters refused to pack dresses. She's more of a tomboy. But all of her cousins traveling with us dressed up for dinner each night. While we were docked in Nassau all the stores on the Dream were closed due to Legal restrictions. My daughter was crying because she didn't have anything nice to wear. The crew let her borrow one of the princess dresses from the kids club to go to dinner and the show after.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #153
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

DD Kenzie (was 7) and wanted a picture with Captain Jack. The line was crazy and we were too busy to wait. She was a little pouty, when one of her brothers grabs her and bolts to "Captain Jack" who was about to go into the restroom. He was so sweet and didn't mind stopping for a picture with the kids. The smiles are because he just told them "Hurry up now, I need to relieve me rum".....Best part, he wasn't actually Capt Jack, just another parent with a great costume, who totally made my kids night!

TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #154
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

My daughter has an Alice shirt made for her with her name Kingsley on it.
After the tea, while waiting in line Kingsley yelled "I love you Alice!" which was very memorable..... And very loud!
The next day a mom that was in the room also waiting approached me to tell me Alice was around the corner and asking if anyone had seen "Kingsley"?

We thought that was super adorable!!!
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #155
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

My DS (3) has many, many special needs, both medically and developmentally. He is a fairly new walker, has severe hearing loss, which he recently started wearing hearing aids for, so he only has a few words. We communicate in sign language with him, as well. He is medically fragile, as well as some drastic developmental delays, and sensory processing issues.

We were a little nervous taking him on our cruise, because we honestly don't know how he will respond to some things. We knew that he was nutso for Mickey, and that having a verandah room where we could have "down time" and still not miss sights was important.

On Sept 3rd, when we embarked, we honestly weren't sure if we were pushing it too far. He was SO overstimulated, everything was new, there were tons of people, and he had no nap. He (and us, by extension) was NOT a happy camper. He was having a few sensory melt-downs at the sail away party (we found a place where he could watch but not be surrounded).

Then, Mickey appeared. Suddenly this child who had, no joke, bitten my DH's nose in a sensory freak out moments before, suddenly, clear as day, yelled "MICKEY!!!!!", looked at my DH, and said, "DOWN!!!!!" (he was holding him). DH set him down, and we watched this tiny little redhead RUN up the deck, through people, up the stairs to get to Mickey. Of course we stopped him before he got on stage, because that could have been bad....but he just stopped everything, and watched Mickey in awe.

The trip was amazing for us, but it was certainly not without the normal frustrations of special needs parents. But whenever he saw his Mickey, he lost his marbles (in a good way) and it made it all worth it. That is why we went.

By the time we got home, he was saying words, phrases, and signs that we had never seen him use. He still, today will get all excited and sign "Mickey Boat!" and clap. These are the moments that make everything else worth it!

Me DH DS 5

Last edited by Momma2Jax; 09-24-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #156
sheadley
Mouseketeer

Thank you for that wonderful story. I now have tears in my eyes. Wish I could've been a fly on that cruise to watch your son get excited about Mickey. What a special memory for all of you.
sheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #157
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Wow...that one made me tear up too!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #158
BAT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post

hen, Mickey appeared. Suddenly this child who had, no joke, bitten my DH's nose in a sensory freak out moments before, suddenly, clear as day, yelled "MICKEY!!!!!", looked at my DH, and said, "DOWN!!!!!" (he was holding him). DH set him down, and we watched this tiny little redhead RUN up the deck, through people, up the stairs to get to Mickey. Of course we stopped him before he got on stage, because that could have been bad....but he just stopped everything, and watched Mickey in awe.

The trip was amazing for us, but it was certainly not without the normal frustrations of special needs parents. But whenever he saw his Mickey, he lost his marbles (in a good way) and it made it all worth it. That is why we went.

By the time we got home, he was saying words, phrases, and signs that we had never seen him use. He still, today will get all excited and sign "Mickey Boat!" and clap. These are the moments that make everything else worth it!

What an amazing story, that mouse can truly be absolutely magical!!! Pat yourself in the back for having taken this risk!
BAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #159
piglet33
DIS Veteran

One year my DD went down the Mickey Slide so many times that the CM that was up there sent a certificate to our stateroom that had her name on it and "Princess of the Mickey Slide". She was so thrilled.

On the first Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise, my DD made friends with one of the Shutters Photographers. On the last full day of the cruise, we got a call from him asking if she could go to Studio Sea at a specific time. When we got there, we were told to sit at the tables with the other people. Then all of the characters came in and one by one the people had their pictures taken with all of them. My DD was 3 years old at the time and loved every minute of it. We went to Shutters the last morning to pick up the pictures and found them in an envelope as our gift from the photographer. On our next cruise, we brought a mat for the picture and asked to have the characters in the picture sign it. My DD is almost 10 now and still has that picture with the autographed mat hanging in her room.

Here is the pic:

Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #160
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott
DD Kenzie (was 7) and wanted a picture with Captain Jack. The line was crazy and we were too busy to wait. She was a little pouty, when one of her brothers grabs her and bolts to "Captain Jack" who was about to go into the restroom. He was so sweet and didn't mind stopping for a picture with the kids. The smiles are because he just told them "Hurry up now, I need to relieve me rum".....Best part, he wasn't actually Capt Jack, just another parent with a great costume, who totally made my kids night!
That is so sweet!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #161
kindsoul73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
This was our best Magical Moment. If anyone wonders if DCL is good for teens, well, take a look....

PRICELESS!!
Is this Mickey and you son breakdancing? I'm dying!
kindsoul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #162
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

On a Halloween cruise my nephew dressed as Woody, my granddaughter, 4 year old, Jessie and my son,9 years old as Stinky Pete. While walking around we walked past an auction talk going on and the host asked the kids to come over and introduce themselves. He asked Woody for a "saying" and he replied "there is a snake in my pants". Instead of "my boot". The crowd enjoyed the comment, I was embarrassed and my 11 year old nephew didn't realize what he said. They were adorable and we had a blast with the ship activities.
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #163
Belle6000
Mouseketeer

Our first Disney cruise was in 2009. We had several little magical moments. One was at dinner one night. I didn't want the salad that was on the menu so I just said that I didn't want salad. Our server tried to talk me into something else. My husband said, "She's more of a ceasar salad person." I really was fine with not having a salad...there was so much other food, but a few minutes later she appeared with a caesar salad even though that restaurant didn't have it on the menu.

Another night my daughter, who was 6 at the time, was tired and not feeling well and fell asleep at the table. That same server brought a clean table cloth over and cover her up.

We go on our next Disney cruise in 5 days and I cannot wait!! I loved reading all of the special moments on this thread and now I'm even more excited for our upcoming trip!

DL:Sept 2011 Paradise Pier
Disney Magic 7 nt: Sept 2012
Belle6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #164
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Thank you all for sharing all of your magical moments. Nothing is better than seeing Disney magic put a smile on someone's face.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #165
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I can't say how and I can't say when, but we got a private tour of the deck of The Wonder by the Captain on one of our cruises.

He let me blow the horn as we pulled away to sea.

I still can't believe it so once in a while, I need to see the video of me doing it.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: