Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #91
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Your updates make me never want to take pictures in the parks again. They're just so good.

I LOVE Peter Pan's Flight. I love "You Can Fly"!!! I mean, who doesn't, if you don't like that song or that scene, there's something wrong with you!

I love the Christmas shop, I could spend hours in there, I love Disney Christmas ornaments more than like, anything.
Thank you! I really want to go back and take more because it's addicting. I'm a truly terrible artist in pretty much every other way (drawing, painting, sculpting, etc.) so it's an interesting experience to have photographs turn out (somewhat) similar to how I'd pictured them in my head!

I know! I always thought that the flying around London was way cooler than the Neverland parts. Flying would totally be the superpower I'd pick to have (close second: telepathy. Or, you know, ]all of the superpowers ).

Christmas ornaments are the best things ever. They're just so pretty! And they only come out once a year so they're special.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #92
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Oh my goodness, your pictures are so gorgeous! ALL OF THEM.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Yay, i'm all caught up now! First of all, I am in LOVE with all your pictures. It's nice to see some different angles! Beautiful!!!!!

Your Salem idea is awesome! I always wished the Haunted Mansion area were bigger, like as if you were arriving to someones multi-acre estate. It would be cool if the build up to actually get in the mansion were longer and creepier.
YES. Or maybe a tie-in to Hocus Pocus (I don't care if no one watches that movie anymore IT IS CINEMATIC GENIUS)? Honestly, I don't think very many people ~understand Liberty Square (good effort, Imagineers!) and I think Salem would be a theme that's easier to grasp (and if Disneyland can have New Orleans Square, I should be able to have Salem!) as a theme park guest walks quickly from Big Thunder to Peter Pan.

Quote:
I am a huge fan of Small World as well. I know a lot of people are annoyed by the song, but I don't mind it. It reminds me of being a child and coming to Disney. Anything classic that Walt had his actual hands in is A+ in my book. And I was confused with the new queue as well!

"Fantasyland is a very close second but there are just so many strollers." LMAO.
I'm pretty sure it's officially become cool to like small world! VICTORY. The song isn't that annoying. And PhilharMagic is right across the street to cleanse your musical palate!

Quote:
I don't remember ever noticing the pterodactyl on Buzz before. I find them to be funny creatures in general but SPACE pterodactyls? Forget it.

Again, your pictures are stunning... I love all the different angles you see on the sides/behind the castle. That is one of the most beautiful areas.
I know everything is better in space (truth; space operas are totally better than normal operas), but the Buzz Lightyear dinosaur thing is verging into Ancient Aliens territory. Like, all the dinosaurs didn't really die off, they just signaled the aliens that they were ready to go home. Or... maybe they were hyperintelligent beings that had their own spaceships and left one buried under the Pyramids at Giza!! Oh, to be a talking head on Ancient Aliens... I truly missed my calling.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #93
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Your castle pictures are truly gorgeous!!! (I especially love the reflection one in the water!)

PPF is one of my favorites too - I love the "You Can Fly" scene too! Just so classic Disney!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #94
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Honestly I'm kinda inspired now to take cooler pictures. I can't even handle how awesome some of your shots are. This will probably be all I say for the rest of time haha.

Although before I go taking fancy pictures of the Peter Pan's Flight building, I should probably actually ride it.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #95
Merida
DIS Veteran

I’m back to posting – but as a changed person. I now have four less teeth. I know! Soon I’ll start updating quickly and breezing through parks – I may actually skip MGM. WHO KNOWS??

And I updated the table of contents. WHOOO. I was going to leave that as my update (I’m on a lot of pain meds right now!! It’s like that scene in Legally Blonde when Elle is describing why the client didn’t kill her husband, because exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy! But instead of exercise, I take prescription strength pain medication. Tomato, tohmahto) but then I realized I had the next batch of pictures ready. So why not??

See? I actually was in Liberty Square! Just in case anyone didn’t believe me and not because I forgot to put this in the last update.

I headed down Main Street, eager to grab our party passes ahead of time (and also I had nothing else to do). I figured Bear would be back shortly, so it was better to be close to the entrance so I could get him as quickly as possible instead of wasting time hiking down from Frontierland.

The trolley show was just finishing up so Main Street was packed. The CMs do a good job of clearing a footpath and making sure that people don’t stand there (thank you CMs! I know people complain, but really, I appreciate it!).

I fought my way down, stopping every so often for a glimpse in between people’s heads. I finally gave it (too many tall people) up and started looking around Main Street.

I have to say it was poor planning to put Turkish baths on the second floor of what is a seemingly wood building. What if something breaks, like a pipe or a bath? You’ve just gone and ruined a whole floor of merchandise and your bathhouse in one fell swoop.

Duffy! It’s okay buddy, I love you.

Figuring it couldn’t be any more crowded inside the Emporium, I ducked inside to try and shake off some of the post-trolley-show crowds.

Yeah, I was wrong, so I decided to stare very intently at this display in the entrance to one of the Emporium shops. I couldn’t make it much further into the store and still have enough room to breathe, so I had to pretend this lady was very interesting.

Too bad she was also very scary, which is probably why she has so many Christmas presents. I wish I could scare people into giving me whatever I want. It must be a very useful skill.

As Main Street emptied out, I ran out to get a place on the sidewalk with very few people around me. Unfortunately, the trolley show started up again and everyone decided that I had an excellent viewpoint. Foiled again!

I’m actually a big fan of the trolley show; Meet Me in St. Louis ranks high on my list of favorite Judy Garland films (hint: all of them are on this list) and I like the Trolley Song. It’s not quite as good as when Judy (or Rufus Wainwright) sings it, but it’s a cute adaptation.

NICE BUTT.

The costumes are adorable too. I love circle skirts but never wear them because I feel like I’m drowning in them. And hats! Hats are devious pieces of clothing. They always look cute and perky on other people (Exhibits 1 and 2: The boater and excellent red hat) but I try them on and disaster. They just never work on me.

I don’t envy these people’s job, though. They have to be so perky and lip-sync-y. Maybe if there was more Wizard of Oz involved I would do it (my Judy Garland and Wizard of Oz loves are a chicken-and-the-egg scenario. I don’t know which came first but they’re both wonderful! Except now I tend to get lots of Oz knick knacks for Christmas ever since people figured out I like them. I’d rather get more copies of the books, but it’s nice that people remember?).

Also I feel bad now making butt jokes when the gentleman in question is actually quite dapper and has on a spiffy waistcoat.

I left right before the trolley show, swimming upstream to get to Guest Relations. It wasn’t so bad at first, given that everyone else was standing still, but it was soon necessary to take a break to study the Emporium displays.

I love how shocked (shocked!!) Scrooge is here that Goofy is the Marley ghost. I mean, I would be too. When has Goofy ever done anything malicious or selfish? Yeah, not the sharpest crayon in the box, but never mean or cruel. Odd casting choice there, Disney.

Did you know I almost died by way of tin soldier once? Oh wait, that happens later. Um, foreshadowing?

It took about three seconds to grab our tickets, even with all my extra forms of ID and credit cards the poor cast member had to sort through unnecessarily. At least she didn’t have to explain over and over that there absolutely were no tickets left for any of the parties like her coworker!

That done, I headed back outside and ‘people-watched’ (stalked) various other guests as I kept phoning Bear. (One favorite was Fanny Pack Guy, who is in the doorway. He was very easy to spot in a crowd). Bear kept not picking up, and from the time stamps on my pictures I may have sat down and taken a nap? At least, I didn’t do anything for a good twenty minutes.

Bear finally called back and – surprise, surprise – he was on the ferry.

Wait, ferry?

Disney ferry?

YES.

I may have run over a few small children (and one or two larger ones) in my haste to get out to the ticket turnstiles. I still had a good five minutes to wait as he disembarked and tried to follow my directions to where I was standing (is ‘in front of the big memories sign by the trash can’ really that confusing?).

But he was there, I gave back his tickets, and together – at last – we entered Main Street.

Only to see this giant mass of people. But I had a camera bag full of FastPasses and a thousand and one stories to catch Bear up on. We were good to go!

Last edited by Merida; 03-08-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #96
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your castle pictures are truly gorgeous!!! (I especially love the reflection one in the water!)

PPF is one of my favorites too - I love the "You Can Fly" scene too! Just so classic Disney!
Thanks! I was determined to do a castle-water shot after seeing some other ones. Mine isn't quite as cool (since the water was all ripply) but I like the idea!

It really is. It's what sets the Disney version apart from all the other adaptations, I think.

Quote:
Honestly I'm kinda inspired now to take cooler pictures. I can't even handle how awesome some of your shots are. This will probably be all I say for the rest of time haha.

Although before I go taking fancy pictures of the Peter Pan's Flight building, I should probably actually ride it.

Do it! There's really not much to the ride except the whole flying boats part but... flying pirate ships. HOW COOL.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #97
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

People totally still watch Hocus Pocus!!! And by people, I mean me. Flawless movie. I love it so! That's a great idea, btw.

Ancient Aliens. OMG. That show has most definitely messed with my mom's head. I can't tell you how often she points out "UFOs" in the sky to me. I mean, I believe there has to be life out there somewhere but there is no way UFOs frequent our house. LOL anyway onto your update!

haha I was going to ask if you were in pain but it seems as though the pain meds are doing well!

I don't recall seeing a trolley show since like 1995. It looks so adorable! Guess I'll have to hang out on Main Street for awhile until one comes along.

"Too bad she was also very scary, which is probably why she has so many Christmas presents." LOL

I envy that everyone gets you Wizard of Oz stuff. My family doesn't seem to appreciate my Disney obsession. Every single year people ask me what I want and every single year I say "Disney gift cards, even if it's just a small amount, it count towards my next trip" and I never receive them. Sure, get me a sweater from Kohl's, that's the same.

OMG!! I can't believe the Mickey's Christmas Carol window display!!! I absolutely love that cartoon and I didn't even notice that! I hope you don't mind, that is so going in my scrapbook.

Yay, Bear is finally back, sans friend!! Now you can finally go on all the rides. Can't wait for more
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #98
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

OMG I love Hocus Pocus! I bought it a few years ago at Best Buy for like, $10 and I was SO excited! It made me want to live in Salem when I saw it. Actually, I still kind of want to live there. I love that town, it's so cute, I haven't been there in a few years, I need to go back!

Awww, the trolley show! I love watching that, and my DH thinks it's ridiculous!

I love the Mickey's Christmas Carol window! How did I miss that??? You're right, Goofy as Marley is really strange...I really love that cartoon.

Finally Bear is back! I feel like you were wandering around the park forever alone!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #99
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Well that lady IS interesting... but yeah... I'm scared of her.

Once again YOUR PICTURES. Just stop it.

YES! BEAR HAS RETURNED! Goodness, he's been gone for weeks.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #100
Merida
DIS Veteran

Happy Daylight Savings Day (aka, the worst day of the entire year)!! I almost didn’t post this because I was feeling incredibly lazy and didn’t want to edit pictures. And it felt weirdly out-of-place to do a ‘here’s our next vacation plans!!’ post because I feel like those lend themselves to a PTR link and there’s no way I could keep up both of them!

So I dug out my notebook and realized I took approximately no pictures (for me) for the first hour or so after my boyfriend got back. And I’m going home for spring break so my mother will want to see pictures and as I’m not even halfway through day 2, I should probably pick up the pace! So voila, an update appears!

Bear didn’t get back until around 11:30 (if my notebook is correct; this is the first time I dug it out to check, but I’m going to assume Past Me is pretty good with a watch). That was the time he reached Magic Kingom.

It seemed to take an eternity for him to find me, then find a working turnstile, then a turnstile without a huge line, and then finally get through the turnstile (I was closely shadowing him on the other side).

After practically throttling him in my excitement (I am a very exuberant hugger), I stepped back to let him breathe and tell his story.

“It was fun! We went on the monorail, it was the gold one. Then we drove to the airport and there was more traffic than I expected. You should go on the boat, it’s really fun.”

…okay.

We’d maybe reached the little overpass where the maps are before reaching Main Street by the time he’d finished. Bear then made the mistake of asking what I’d been doing.

If you’d like a quick summary, I’d scroll up and reread because that’s pretty much what I told him, only minus the pictures so I don’t think it made very much sense.

We ended up on the path to Tomorrowland, the one that is opposite the really awesome shrubbery sea serpent without me really knowing what was going on. I hadn’t asked for a plan yet, and hadn’t given a summary of what fastpasses I had available. But Tomorrowland seemed like a great idea! I’d been in the park three hours without riding Space Mountain – what a smart idea! We headed into Tomorrowland and I asked Bear what he wanted to do first as I grabbed a couple quick ~atmospheric pictures.

“I was thinking we could try Carousel of Progress. Look how short the line is!”

“Great, I have fast-“ Wait, what? I didn’t even have time to dig out the Space Mountain Fastpasses before Bear was dragging me over. Nothing against Carousel of Progress, but it wasn’t really the ride I was looking forward to! “Are you sure you don’t want to do Space Mountain? Or Buzz?”

Bear shrugged. “We can do them later, this is starting right now!”

Yeah, because there’s ever a line for Carousel of Progress.

There was only maybe a three minute wait before we (and a whole ten other people) were ushered into the auditorium.

Our trip through history went smoothly, once it started. Apparently something had broken down in a different theater and people were trying to escape. Not that I blame them (Space Mountain had a short line too!), but I really wanted our show to start. I’ve only ever seen video and I was actually pretty excited to see the real thing.

We all managed to sit in our seats and away we went – all the way to that glorious time in 2000 when ovens were on voice command (poor Carousel of Progress, ‘the future that never was’ theme doesn’t really work, does it?).

Buzz Lightyear was a quick stop on our way out of Tomorrowland. Bear prefers not to remember this time, because I managed to eke out a win (a whole 65k to 63k!), so we will pretend that this didn’t actually happen (there’s no photographic evidence, so maybe it didn’t.

I don’t remember why we decided to go up to Haunted Mansion; we both love the ride, but there’s no way to get to Liberty Square without passing a bunch of other great attractions. I like the grounds better than the actual ride (the graveyard scene gets me every time).

Seriously, it is perfect. I love this building, with its conservatory and fake lightning effects. We decided against the extended queue, which cut the posted 20 minute wait in half. Really, the shorter queue gives you the better views of the house and that’s my preferred view.

And the punny headstones! I like the combination of truly awful and irreverent humor with the grim nature of Haunted Mansion. I think it would be easy for an attraction like Haunted Mansion to veer into the depressing; it’s really hard to make a graveyard into a good hang-out place, you know? It’s just enough themeing to ease in from the rest of the park to the more macabre nature of the ride.

After leaving the 999 Happy Haunts to their haunting, we continued our completely rational touring style by hitting up Snow White’s Scary Adventures. I wanted to go on this not because I particularly enjoy Snow White, but because I was leaving.

I hated Snow White growing up; we lived in a rather woodsy area and I was convinced the forest scene was real (nowadays I’m like 80% positive it’s a metaphor for Snow White’s mental state at the time. Is that right? Or is it really a magic forest?) and that our trees were going to attack me.

The witch wasn’t a big deal because hey, she only tried to kill Snow White once! There wasn’t any stays or hair combs to deal with in the Disney version, so she obviously wasn’t very smart OR trying very hard. I was pretty sure if it ever came to it, I could outsmart or outrun a witch.

But the ride – and this lovely themeing on the side of the Mine shop – is (did?) leaving forever so we had to go on. There were little children coming out the exit, completely happy (I checked). Surely it wasn’t that bad.

Best part of the whole movie right here. Even though her outfit never made sense; the skirt + shoes go together, but not the top part. It’s so fancy and teacher-y that I’m not sure where Snow White got it.

Blurry witch! Way less scary than the woods part (during which I averted my eyes by hiding behind Bear so the trees wouldn’t eat my soul).

But we all survived (I was kind of hoping that something – maybe a big rockfall? – would happen to the car in front of us. It was my first experience with line cutters and I didn’t care about not getting on the ride faster, it’s the principle of being bested by an overly tanned man in a white track suit. Unfortunately, they made it out as well).

Bye Dopey! I hope you’re glad to be out of the horribly unflattering pink light.

I don’t dislike Snow White’s Scary Adventure, but I think the mine train (and additional meet’n’greet location, I have a weakness for the sets) will be better. Snow White will exist elsewhere and an old C ticket ride isn’t that important to me. I like the idea of a new, unique attraction much more. But I’m really into having each of the five parks being a different experience, so my priority is diversity and not so much park history (which is fascinating, but there’s a reason that some of it is relegated to history) or ‘classic’ experiences.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #101
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
OMG I love Hocus Pocus! I bought it a few years ago at Best Buy for like, $10 and I was SO excited! It made me want to live in Salem when I saw it. Actually, I still kind of want to live there. I love that town, it's so cute, I haven't been there in a few years, I need to go back!

Awww, the trolley show! I love watching that, and my DH thinks it's ridiculous!

I love the Mickey's Christmas Carol window! How did I miss that??? You're right, Goofy as Marley is really strange...I really love that cartoon.

Finally Bear is back! I feel like you were wandering around the park forever alone!
Hocus Pocus is definitely the pinnacle of SJP and Bette Midler's career. I wonder if Disney channel still makes all those Halloween movies? I just remember them coming out with SO MANY new ones every year. I was thinking and maybe Sleepy Hollow would be a better Disney match, but that seems a little Halloween Party-ish, with the Headless Horseman and everything. There's just so many great New England ghost stories that they could incorporate!

I love the trolley show. They're just so happy and nicely dressed! It's really cute and I think it definitely helps make Main Street an attraction in its own right (besides just a shopping mecca ). I wish I saw more of the Main Street characters (I've seen pictures of the mayor and I'm pretty sure there's more..?) around. Or had gone inside the fire station before it closed. I never knew there was so much stuff in Main Street!

The Christmas Carol windows are all along the one side of the Emporium, starting by the barber shop. I'm not a huge fan of Dickens in general, but I like the Christmas Carol (especially with Muppets!!) and the windows are really well done with little story excerpts and everything.

Quote:
Well that lady IS interesting... but yeah... I'm scared of her.

Once again YOUR PICTURES. Just stop it.

YES! BEAR HAS RETURNED! Goodness, he's been gone for weeks.
I KNOW. She definitely does not inspire me to shop (possibly to give an offering to appease her anger? idk, CONFLICTED).

I KNOWWWWW. He was all 'I'll be back in like an hour' and then three hours later he was still gone. I still think the better plan would've been to pay for a cab to take Mr. T to the airport.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #102
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
People totally still watch Hocus Pocus!!! And by people, I mean me. Flawless movie. I love it so! That's a great idea, btw.

Ancient Aliens. OMG. That show has most definitely messed with my mom's head. I can't tell you how often she points out "UFOs" in the sky to me. I mean, I believe there has to be life out there somewhere but there is no way UFOs frequent our house. LOL anyway onto your update!

haha I was going to ask if you were in pain but it seems as though the pain meds are doing well!

I don't recall seeing a trolley show since like 1995. It looks so adorable! Guess I'll have to hang out on Main Street for awhile until one comes along.

"Too bad she was also very scary, which is probably why she has so many Christmas presents." LOL

I envy that everyone gets you Wizard of Oz stuff. My family doesn't seem to appreciate my Disney obsession. Every single year people ask me what I want and every single year I say "Disney gift cards, even if it's just a small amount, it count towards my next trip" and I never receive them. Sure, get me a sweater from Kohl's, that's the same.

OMG!! I can't believe the Mickey's Christmas Carol window display!!! I absolutely love that cartoon and I didn't even notice that! I hope you don't mind, that is so going in my scrapbook.

Yay, Bear is finally back, sans friend!! Now you can finally go on all the rides. Can't wait for more
Hocus Pocus: Halloween classic. 32% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, my left foot. Critics today have no taste.

I loooove Ancient Aliens. I know people complain about 'the direction' the History Channel has taken with their programming, but that show is pure comedy gold! I love how the main host has slowly embraced his Oompa-Loompa heritage and become decidedly more orange every season.

The trolley show goes on so frequently I feel bad for the performers. Like, it seemed like they would do the show, move down five feet, and then do it again, all while smiling. I wish Main Street wouldn't bottleneck up so quickly because there's cool stuff back there! But it's hard to find a nice spot to sit and watch with the hordes of people bearing down on you.

My family has a weird relationship with Christmas presents, where we all try to one-up each other to give the perfect present. It's very stressful (but I did learn how to wrap presents at a young age). I was in the Wizard of Oz so everyone jumped on that bandwagon really eagerly since it was topical and something different. Now I live a plane ride away, so everyone sends checks. Less fun but way more useful!

I don't mind at all! I have no idea what to do with my pictures (I'm really bad with scissors so scrapbooking's kind of out.) so someone should use them!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #103
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Love your pictures of the trolley show!! I always always always get a phone call when that rides down Main Street, so I have to duck away and usually miss part!

Yay that Bear arrived!! Too funny that he wanted to ride CoP instead of Space Mountain! The thrilling circle theater! The stories of ovens that weren't voice-activated! Rotary phones!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #104
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm a little confused... are you going on a new trip?

CoP cracks me up. I mean they had some good ideas about the 21st century. Who knows, maybe one day we will be able to control our ovens with our voices. I do think that the best part of CoP is the concept, though. PLUS, THE SONG.

I agree, I don't mind that Snow White is leaving. I don't really have sentimental attachment to it, and the mine train sounds awesome! Plus, the new ride probably won't include the witch, so that's a plus!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #105
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Haha, I'm confused too, are you going on another trip??

I love CoP, even though it is horribly outdated! It's just so much fun, and I love attractions where the song gets stuck in your head all day!

OMG I'm in love with your Haunted Mansion pictures. I love that building, and I hate that no matter where you look at it from, you can never really see it very well up close.

I hated Snow White for the longest time too, I hated her voice! And she just seemed kind of stupid to me, you know? But when it came out on DVD a few years ago, I gave her another chance, and now I can appreciate her for what she is, she's just a girl who wants to find a prince, I guess that's not so bad. I used to hold that against her, but it is such a Disney classic, I had to look beyond that. (Yeah, I had serious Snow White issues! ) And I love the Dwarves!

I like the Scary Adventures, but I can't wait for the mine train! I can't wait for the new Fantasyland!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: