Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #31
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying the pictures along with the story so far. You've got a lot of great pics but my favorite is probably all those lego guy heads. Looks like a tiny toy massacre.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #32
Merida
DIS Veteran

I did mean to get this up earlier but last night was the (election year, no less!!) State of the Union. It’s like the Super Bowl and the Oscars all in one! For me, amateur political nerd and West Wing aficionado , at least. And Elizabeth Warren and Maurice Sendak were on the Daily Show/Colbert Report as a perfect follow up. Tomorrow I'll start editing my poor neglected table of contents and subscribed threads folder! Thursday is, by all intents and purposes, Friday anyway. Perfect time for some trip report reading.

But back to December:

I had set up a wake up call, hoping I’d finally get to hear Stitch. Mr. T had assured me that getting up at 6:30 for our 7:30 reservation (ed. note: on further reflection, the reservation has to have been for between 7 and 7:15AM based on the when I got to the Magic Kingdom. I don't know why I keep thinking it was 7:30. Any time before, like, 9AM is roughly the same time anyway.) at the Grand Floridian would be just fine.

It turned out he was partly right; I jumped out of bed around 6 and, moving slowly to not wake anyone up, was finished pre-6:30. Bear woke up shortly after and stumbled around, gathering things up to take a shower. By the time he was finished, Mr. T was still not awake and ready. The Grand Floridian Café is a tradition for Bear and I and I had moved this reservation because of Mr. T and now I was going to miss it.

I was thoroughly grumpy by the time I had hustled everyone out to the car. Bear fussed with the GPS, trying to find the quickest route. Mr. T was definitely not helping, chatting away in the back seat as my anxiety level was quickly ramping up. Bear knew this, of course – we had talked about changing around reservations again because of this exact scenario, and managed to drop me off at the Grand Floridian before driving off with Mr. T to park. I managed to get lost in the lobby – there’s a reason Grand Floridian isn’t my favorite resort – before checking in ten minutes late to Grand Floridian Café.

I had a few minutes to wander around the lobby – keeping the correct exit in the corner of eye the whole time. Bear and Mr. T weren’t very far behind me, though I’m pretty sure this is mostly Bear’s doing.

Or possibly the fact that I was starting to call every thirty seconds practically, trying to give him completely unnecessary and overly complicated directions. However, despite my best effort to the contrary, we all made it back to the restaurant.

Like pretty much always, the GFC was pretty empty. Just us, some older gentlemen, and a young family (the little girl had killer sparkly striped shoes). I’m assuming that everyone else was staying was at the Grand Floridian because they would meander in and out, coming back with extra things at random.

Still, one French toast and two citrus pancake orders later, I was starting to get jumpy again. Mr. T was such aslow eater and I was missing valuable park time on my own and with Bear later in the day, since Bear still had to drop Mr. T off at the airport.

But I managed to contain myself until we came to more organic end to the meal and then again while Mr. T had to check out the restrooms. The lobby was slowly becoming more crowded.

I’m not sure if it was for the monorail or the Grand Floridian Café, as neither were very full yet still.

In fact, most of them seemed to just want to stand around the lobby and walk into all of my pictures. But we were finally corralled into one area in the lobby, right next to the main tree. While I may not be able to find a restaurant, I am always able to point the way to the nearest monorail station. It’s a gift.

I also tend to have good monorail timing as one was just pulling up as I dragged Bear and Mr. T outside. It may have been the ugliest monorail possible – brown – but it was there. And there were empty cars! Yay!

Does anyone know what that boat is? Is it one of those Speed Racer (Mice? Drats, I forget the name) that you can rent? Or is it just possible to yacht up to the Grand Floridian?

Based on some reports, I half-expected the monorail to fall off the beam on our trip to the Magic Kingdom. But it didn’t! We all survived with no delays and a super quick trip in to the station.

And it was only 8:30. Thirty minutes after rope drop, but still earlier than we had planned with our original Crystal Palace reservations. Bear and Mr. T were making plans to ride the monorail after dropping me off but I wasn’t really paying attention.

Why should I? I was maybe thirty seconds – more probably since there was a little girl in front of me – from one of my most favorite places. In the early morning! All by myself!

The weather wasn’t the best, still overcast, but it didn’t seem like a rain-y cloud cover (technical description) and it was a good temperature. Bear pulled me back to direct me into the bag check line.

“No rides until I get back, remember?”

“No problem!”

Famous last words.

I’m sure we broke a million rules, but Bear entered the park with me, thus activating his ticket before he left. I had a half-formed plan of running around the Magic Kingdom for about an hour – maybe 90 minutes – grabbing fastpasses and taking pictures while waiting for Bear to get back.

It would be no problem to wait to ride something until Bear came back. The not-quite-as-wonderful breakfast had already melted away as I walked through the turnstiles.

“Hey, we’re leaving…” Bear tapped me on the arm. “You want my ticket, right?”

“Oh yeah, love you too, bye.”

And finally – finally! – I had some time to myself. Bear and Mr. T went off monorail joyriding.

My vacation was starting.

Last edited by Merida; 01-25-2012 at 11:45 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #33
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
Really enjoying the pictures along with the story so far. You've got a lot of great pics but my favorite is probably all those lego guy heads. Looks like a tiny toy massacre.
Ah, I love those heads! Apparently so does every small child in the vicinity of the LEGO store as I stood there, rather naively, waiting my turn for a good 5+ minutes. When I was younger, LEGO people were always my favorite toy people to play with because - unlike with Barbies, American Girl dolls, etc., etc. - I could enact crime scenes (or dastardly heists) with ease. There were a LOT of serial decapitators in my LEGO towns (what no I did not read too many mystery novels as a kid).
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #34
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Ugh, how frustrating that you were afraid you were going to miss your breakfast! I've never seen the GFC packed that early though, I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem if you were a few minutes late! How fun that you had some MK time to yourself!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #35
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Being late is one of the worst feelings, isn't it? Very frustrating. Glad everything worked out though! Okay, so was the date the 16th? I was at Epcot that morning and yeah, it was definitely overcast. Anyway, YAY for the Magic Kingdom! Ahh so beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you did with your alone time.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #36
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Ugh, how frustrating that you were afraid you were going to miss your breakfast! I've never seen the GFC packed that early though, I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem if you were a few minutes late! How fun that you had some MK time to yourself!
It totally wasn't a problem, it was more the fact that I had been assured that we didn't need to follow my timetable and we would be okay getting up thirty minutes later! And then we were - surprise, surprise late. I'm just a very punctual person and Mr. T is much more flexible with time and other people's routines, so we tend to clash on these things. If we would've had a longer combined vacation, I would've brought it up but it wasn't really worth it so I just had to be grumpy privately and nice publicly and then complain to Bear afterwards! And because that took waaaay too much effort for a vacation, the guys just got loads of private time to catch up while I went on and did my own thing and everyone won! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Being late is one of the worst feelings, isn't it? Very frustrating. Glad everything worked out though! Okay, so was the date the 16th? I was at Epcot that morning and yeah, it was definitely overcast. Anyway, YAY for the Magic Kingdom! Ahh so beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you did with your alone time.
I know! It was partly my fault because I had gone over the schedule a lot with Bear and we both had agreed on important things (i.e., the Grand Floridian breakfast) but I don't think we ever made that very clear to Mr. T. In our defense, this was our first time traveling with someone so now we know for next time.

I think that was the 16th! I like overcast mornings because they're usually a nice temperature. Bad for pictures but at least I was able to wear all the layers I wanted to bring in for the Christmas party! And Magic Kingdom is always pretty so it doesn't really matter (though Bear keeps asking me why the sky is so grey in my pictures; apparently he didn't look up until he came back from the airport! )
Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #37
Merida
DIS Veteran

Okay, this is kind of short because I really need to go through more pictures. Kittens and research and housework never seem to be very conducive to a picture-editing mood though!

I was finally by myself and I had a plan – hit up as many Fastpass machines for when Bear got back to Magic Kingdom. I had a camera, our tickets, and only slightly behind schedule. What could stop me?

Apparently the mass of people that were all stopped right in front of the train station.

Who knew that Pooh and Tigger were that magnetic, drawing everyone into their little hub in front of the tree. We had waffled on what week we were going to come down to Disney; I had pulled for this one (which was, honestly, the earliest we could come) due to “low crowds.” Had I been wrong?

Honestly the trip down Main Street to the main ‘hub’ of Magic Kingdom was not my best moment of the trip. Everything wasn’t quite how I had imagined it would be – and all during our awkward breakfast I had been imagining the most awesome, crowd-free, super fantastic photo opportunity morning possible.

That.. was not quite the case.

Even ‘in the moment’ (and especially now, comparing that day to others), that morning’s crowds were not that bad at all. People were just bottlenecked on Main Street. Yes, there were no empty street pictures for the Castle. And people kept walking in front of me. But I would take so many Castle pictures later on that day (and our other MK evening) that the dismal first morning didn’t even matter.

But I was still slightly panicky – I had flippantly promised Bear mounds of Fastpasses by the time he got back and what if I didn’t have them?? He probably hadn’t taken me seriously but my poor old social anxiety/Asperger’s riddled brain wasn’t thinking very clearly with all the crowds.

So my previous early morning Magic Kingdom went out the window and I snapped some pictures nervously while trying to come up with a new plan.

Except I tend to come up with awful new plans that are based entirely on my instincts – instincts that are not always grounded in real life.

So on this prime Magic Kingdom early morning, I headed past Crystal Palace (wishing I was in there eating puffed French toast instead of having to deal with the burden of collecting prime Fastpasses)

Adventureland!

Primarily because no one else was going in there (obviously no one was willing to enter into a battle royale with me for the crème de la crème of Magic Kingdom prizes: Jungle Cruise Fastpasses).

Last edited by Merida; 01-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #38
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I hope that you were able to score some FP's!! It seems like there just isn't a time anymore with low crowds! We were surprised at how busy the parks were during our trip too!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #39
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Ugh, everyone always seems to get bottlenecked on Main Street. I think people are just so distracted by the castle that they don't know what to do.

I hope you're able to succeed in getting some primo fastpasses.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #40
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I hope that you were able to score some FP's!! It seems like there just isn't a time anymore with low crowds! We were surprised at how busy the parks were during our trip too!
I mean, the crowds were technically low, especially compared to around Christmas. And once I got used to them, they weren't a problem, but I think people have selective memories of these things? Like, I clearly remember being all by myself in Adventureland and looking through some pictures, there was a decent crowd in front of me! I have no idea where they went after that sign, though. I know people complain about pricing but I honestly wouldn't mind paying more if there were fewer people in the parks (I am clearly not one of those generous souls who want all children to experience Disney World many times. I would actually prefer them to be far away from me, especially in the "off season"! ).

We actually came home with FPs. Once I get worried about something, I go into overdrive fixing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Ugh, everyone always seems to get bottlenecked on Main Street. I think people are just so distracted by the castle that they don't know what to do.

I hope you're able to succeed in getting some primo fastpasses.
But it wasn't the castle as much as Winnie the Pooh? Like, Winnie the Pooh is everywhere, we can all keep moving people!! I understand why Main Street is set up the way it is (big castle reveal and all) but sometimes it's very frustrating when you're trying to get into the actual park as quickly as possible.

I did pretty good today, but nothing can really beat our AK day with our ultimate FP mission. (I don't even know what this supposed to be an emoticon of, but there's no sly ones... so.. I've just started to use random ones).
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #41
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Hey, I am finally all caught up with your TR! I really like the way you write... especially because it's completely different from anything else on this board and that is refreshing!

Your assessment of the Wizarding World seems to be one par with most of the other things I have heard, except everyone usually says Forbidden Journey is amazing. The main reason I haven't been there yet is that so many big fans like me seem to be super underwhelmed with the area as a whole. I remember before it was announced that Universal was doing it, there was a rumor it would be Disney and I CRIED I was so excited. What Disney could have done with it... is too amazing to even think about. I'm still excited to eventually go and will be decked out in my Slytherin garb, though.
I've never been to IoA but Seuss Landing was always what I wanted to see most, and it bums me out that you said there's blank space and so on.

When I go there, I really want to just take it for what it is and not compare it to Disney so much, but Disney's standard of quality is just so much higher than the rest of the world's and it shows in things like that. I hate the Six Flags we have here in NJ so much even though I love riding the rollercoasters, because they try to be like Disney but then fail at really delivering anything spectacular and a lot of their attempts are just embarrassing.

Oh I am so jealous you got selected at Ollivanders! I heard they only choose kids. You're so lucky, that must have been awesome.

Wow, I love the Lorax Trees!

YAY Disney!!! Lately I have this obsession with POFQ. I don't know why, but I just love it now even though I've never even been there. It looks so gorgeous and fun and I think i'd even like the freaky huge decorations at the food court. I don't know, it's something different at least. I've always wanted to visit to try the beignets, but now I realllly wanna stay there.

Ahh the Lego goblin is so awesome! And Hagrid!

Mr. T sounds annoying. You're a good sport.

The GF is so beautiful. I've always wanted to eat at the GFC but I heard it's been pretty bad lately!

You are such a good girlfriend for not going on any attractions without your boyfriend. Then again, it's always more fun to share it with someone else. I can't wait to read more!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
Merida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Hey, I am finally all caught up with your TR! I really like the way you write... especially because it's completely different from anything else on this board and that is refreshing!

Your assessment of the Wizarding World seems to be one par with most of the other things I have heard, except everyone usually says Forbidden Journey is amazing. The main reason I haven't been there yet is that so many big fans like me seem to be super underwhelmed with the area as a whole. I remember before it was announced that Universal was doing it, there was a rumor it would be Disney and I CRIED I was so excited. What Disney could have done with it... is too amazing to even think about. I'm still excited to eventually go and will be decked out in my Slytherin garb, though.
I've never been to IoA but Seuss Landing was always what I wanted to see most, and it bums me out that you said there's blank space and so on.

When I go there, I really want to just take it for what it is and not compare it to Disney so much, but Disney's standard of quality is just so much higher than the rest of the world's and it shows in things like that. I hate the Six Flags we have here in NJ so much even though I love riding the rollercoasters, because they try to be like Disney but then fail at really delivering anything spectacular and a lot of their attempts are just embarrassing.

Oh I am so jealous you got selected at Ollivanders! I heard they only choose kids. You're so lucky, that must have been awesome.

Wow, I love the Lorax Trees!

YAY Disney!!! Lately I have this obsession with POFQ. I don't know why, but I just love it now even though I've never even been there. It looks so gorgeous and fun and I think i'd even like the freaky huge decorations at the food court. I don't know, it's something different at least. I've always wanted to visit to try the beignets, but now I realllly wanna stay there.

Ahh the Lego goblin is so awesome! And Hagrid!

Mr. T sounds annoying. You're a good sport.

The GF is so beautiful. I've always wanted to eat at the GFC but I heard it's been pretty bad lately!

You are such a good girlfriend for not going on any attractions without your boyfriend. Then again, it's always more fun to share it with someone else. I can't wait to read more!
Haha, thanks! I go back and forth on whether or not that's a good thing. Annnd then I realize that it's silly to care!

Ugh, silly disappointing WWoHP. Not that I'm expecting wonders and amazement out of Avatarland (seriously Disney, LOOK AT DISNEYSEA AND ADD JULES VERNE LAND. Or Beastly Kingdom. Or Studio Ghibli or any idea that is not incredibly stupid), but it was just so squished. And a really quick visit if you don't want to go on really dubiously rethemed roller coasters. Seriously, Disney was able to loosen some of the reins at TokyoDisney and that turned out to be mind-blowing, so why couldn't they do it here? Just shove Harry Potter into MGM, no one would quibble (well, people would, but I don't care about them). They would have to bend their no adult costume rule but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

I wouldn't mind so much if everyone wasn't trying to copy Disney's success; if you're clever enough, it can come off well and work, but I've found very few people clever enough and it falls flat. Like, if Universal wants to be big roller coaster/thrill ride park, great! Do that! Focus on that and making that experience the best it could be instead of doing a halfway job on Cat in the Hat that looks old and broken down within five years.

Seriously? I didn't know that about Ollivander's. I mean, I know I don't look 23, but I certainly don't look eight! Though it does make sense to limit it to the approximately age 11 crowd (adults have no fun ).

The Lorax is a freaking amazing book and the upcoming movie is a travesty. Ahem. Stupid Cheeto CGI movie (go awaaaay from movies TSwift, you already have a career).

I felt REALLY bad about not liking any of Bear's friends because we were a long distance relationship for ages, so we never knew each others' friends. And that can get weird sometimes and Mr. T is (was?) his best friend. And then Mr. T left and he was all 'OMG THAT WAS SO ANNOYING NEVER AGAIN' (okay, that might be a paraphrase) and I felt vindicated. It's more that Mr. T is ~trying to find himself~ right now, which whatever, but you can still be a good friend to your bff in the midst of your existential crisis/personality transplant/brain slug possession.

POFQ was so cool - even eliminating my cobblestone street bias. Our next trip, we're totally staying there. The whole Port Orleans complex is so pretty and I like being able to walk between the two (and sneak mugs into the dining halls at both for some more free drinks, oops). We always meant (by we, I mean Bear here) to go on a photo tour of the two resorts but ran out of time.

I thought GFC was one of the few to get pretty good overall reviews? We only go there for breakfast and it takes a special kind of place to mess up French toast. All three of us enjoyed the meals and - I must admit - the bathrooms are spectacular. Overall, the interior of the GFlo rooms/theming of GFlo aren't my favorite (we really like Port Orleans), but I can't deny that it is good at what it is!

I wasn't that good of a girlfriend. In my defense, it was only two rides (one that he doesn't even like that much!) and they went on a monorail tour (no faaaaair) and then got stuck in traffic. Four hours is a loooong time to spend in MK with no rides whatsoever!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #43
Merida
DIS Veteran

My first instinct was to continue towards Jungle Cruise – it has fastpasses, we like it, we plan on riding it. And there was no line!

And then I realized that would be a tremendously stupid idea (and thus establishing how really terrible my instincts are). Why waste primo fastpass time for Jungle Cruise? No one else was doing it. Or the Tiki Room. Or the Carpets.

So I wandered around; Adventureland has some of my favorite theming, especially in the Aladdin area. When I was younger, I went through a British Children in Boarding School phase (a lot of these books were my mother’s, so it was 1960s and prior British Boarding Schools mixed with Dianna Wynne Jones. Though calling it a phase is rather dubious because hello, best fictional trope EVER). And in every single book, the traditional ‘oh look how naughty the children are!!’ scene is that someone manages to get a hold of an unexpurgated copy of the Arabian Nights. So it became my life’s mission to track down my own copy (I’d read expurgated copies at that point; however, in between this time and the time of finding the unexpurgated Arabian Nights, I burned through pretty much all of my mother’s romance novels as well. So the unexpurgated Arabian Nights was kind of a let down, though I am now a Julia Quinn stan 4 life (Penelope Featherington, light of my life; Colin Bridgerton, best male romance lead EVER). If you haven’t read – or have, I don’t really care – and want to read any of them, send me a PM. I may or may not have a sizable collection of romance novels on my external harddrive. And you really should read them! Shockingly, I have like a thousand and one feelings about the Bridgerton ladies (and Colin) but they can be summed up as: too cute!!).

Anyway, the Arabian Nights (in one form or another, Shannon Hale has an excellent retelling; which – on another tangent – I love fairytale retellings. My collection of romance novels is matched only by my YA fiction collection and fairytale collection (those two often overlap though). And science books in general, I guess. Maybe I just have a lot of books) has been a meaningful part of my life for a long time and I like seeing it ~in real life~, though obviously in an edited/non-traditional format.

So there I was: all by myself in Adventureland, taking really silly pictures (Adventureland isn’t its best on cloudy days) and someone starts talking to me.

“Hey, whatcha doing?”

Naturally, I practically jumped out of my skin. Was I doing something wrong?? No one told me I couldn’t be here!! Clearly the best response to this situation was to ignore it and take more really awful pictures so it seemed like I really belonged there (really, I have tons of A-land pictures of which I’m sparing everyone from seeing).

“Hey, don’t be shy, we’ve been waiting for you!”

That is – no lie – what was said next. I really hope it’s not just me, but that’s totally creepy, right? Hannibal (not the cool one with the elephants who used vinegar to conquer Italy, the serial killer one) vacations at Disney!! And has been waiting for me.

Or it was just Aladdin.

Close enough.

I suppose someone didn’t realize that everyone hates Adventureland at 8:30AM and had sent out Aladdin, Jasmine, and their handler to loiter under an overhang. And I’m guessing they were really bored and wanted something to do? Well, I was kind of in the same boat so I stopped fake-taking pictures and headed over.

“Hey, you’re finally here!” Aladdin razzed me for a good five-ish minutes about ignoring them; I figured my serial killer defense wouldn’t hold up here, so I went with it. Jasmine was totally nicer and asked if I was travelling alone today.

“Well, no, I’m actually here with my boyfriend and his best friend. Only now his friend has to go home so they had to go to the airport because he has to go home... to Chicago… on the plane…” I’m not the most concise person ever.

“Really? You didn’t want to go? That sounds like a fun trip!” No, Jasmine, it really wouldn’t have been, I didn’t want to be stuck in a car with them forever! We chatted a little more about the day, what I was going to do, what they were going to do (I was trying to be polite, but in hindsight that’s a really stupid question. ‘Oh yes, we’re just going to stand here in preparation of being mobbed by thousands of small children.’)

Eventually I did have to move on. Time was still moving on and I had fastpasses to collect.

“You should get your boyfriend a magic carpet! That way you won’t have to wait so long for him anymore.” Aladdin agreed with me about the gross injustice about having to wait for my boyfriend before going on rides, so I thanked him for the suggestion and headed out.

I’m really glad I stopped for them, even though before the trip I was pretty anti any waiting for meet and greets (I totally wasn’t waiting here, so it doesn’t count! In all seriousness, this M&G totally changed my mind on M&Gs in general. I still wouldn’t wait in long lines for the characters but maybe they are fun even for social incompetents like myself). But just having them be all nice and sweet and interested in me was very bracing.

So, nose metaphorically repowdered, I headed off into Frontierland (I’m guessing).

I headed towards this sign (I have no idea what this sign is or where it’s from) and proceeded to take like five thousand pictures of it, all while trying to reach Bear on his phone to tell him all about Aladdin and Jasmine (he had Bluetooth, so it was safe!). I couldn’t reach him so I gave up on the sign and headed deeper into Frontierland. Destination? Big Thunder Mountain.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #44
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
Haha, thanks! I go back and forth on whether or not that's a good thing. Annnd then I realize that it's silly to care!

Ugh, silly disappointing WWoHP. Not that I'm expecting wonders and amazement out of Avatarland (seriously Disney, LOOK AT DISNEYSEA AND ADD JULES VERNE LAND. Or Beastly Kingdom. Or Studio Ghibli or any idea that is not incredibly stupid), but it was just so squished. And a really quick visit if you don't want to go on really dubiously rethemed roller coasters. Seriously, Disney was able to loosen some of the reins at TokyoDisney and that turned out to be mind-blowing, so why couldn't they do it here? Just shove Harry Potter into MGM, no one would quibble (well, people would, but I don't care about them). They would have to bend their no adult costume rule but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

I wouldn't mind so much if everyone wasn't trying to copy Disney's success; if you're clever enough, it can come off well and work, but I've found very few people clever enough and it falls flat. Like, if Universal wants to be big roller coaster/thrill ride park, great! Do that! Focus on that and making that experience the best it could be instead of doing a halfway job on Cat in the Hat that looks old and broken down within five years.

Seriously? I didn't know that about Ollivander's. I mean, I know I don't look 23, but I certainly don't look eight! Though it does make sense to limit it to the approximately age 11 crowd (adults have no fun ).

The Lorax is a freaking amazing book and the upcoming movie is a travesty. Ahem. Stupid Cheeto CGI movie (go awaaaay from movies TSwift, you already have a career).

I felt REALLY bad about not liking any of Bear's friends because we were a long distance relationship for ages, so we never knew each others' friends. And that can get weird sometimes and Mr. T is (was?) his best friend. And then Mr. T left and he was all 'OMG THAT WAS SO ANNOYING NEVER AGAIN' (okay, that might be a paraphrase) and I felt vindicated. It's more that Mr. T is ~trying to find himself~ right now, which whatever, but you can still be a good friend to your bff in the midst of your existential crisis/personality transplant/brain slug possession.

POFQ was so cool - even eliminating my cobblestone street bias. Our next trip, we're totally staying there. The whole Port Orleans complex is so pretty and I like being able to walk between the two (and sneak mugs into the dining halls at both for some more free drinks, oops). We always meant (by we, I mean Bear here) to go on a photo tour of the two resorts but ran out of time.

I thought GFC was one of the few to get pretty good overall reviews? We only go there for breakfast and it takes a special kind of place to mess up French toast. All three of us enjoyed the meals and - I must admit - the bathrooms are spectacular. Overall, the interior of the GFlo rooms/theming of GFlo aren't my favorite (we really like Port Orleans), but I can't deny that it is good at what it is!

I wasn't that good of a girlfriend. In my defense, it was only two rides (one that he doesn't even like that much!) and they went on a monorail tour (no faaaaair) and then got stuck in traffic. Four hours is a loooong time to spend in MK with no rides whatsoever!
I actually am expecting Avatarland to be amazing, not because I'm a fan of the film (I've never even seen it, it just doesn't interest me) but because I know that James Cameron and his team share the same obsession with attention to detail as Disney does, and from seeing the trailer I know it's a visually stunning film. So I'm sure that area of the park will be breathtaking just like the rest of the park, but with a little twist. But I REALLLLYYYYY wish they would bring whatever insanely talented and flawless people that designed Tokyo DisneySea over here and get something going. SHEESH.

"And then Mr. T left and he was all 'OMG THAT WAS SO ANNOYING NEVER AGAIN' (okay, that might be a paraphrase)"
hahaha ok even if you're paraphrasing, that must have been such a relief. Could you imagine if he was all "Sigh, I miss Mr. T! It was so fun having him here! I'm gonna go call him!"? I've never had a serious boyfriend but I feel like meeting friends of a guy I'm seeing or just friends of friends is always weird unless they're REALLY cool, which they never are. I always wanted to have that ~group of friends (like on TV) where you all meet through each other and everyone loves everyone and it just doesn't happen.

Okay, I seriously cracked up at Aladdin aka Hannibal Lector harassing you. That is just too funny. I went on a solo trip when I was 18 and whenever people randomly spoke to me I was always alarmed. It just kills me that he said "Whatcha doin?" Like, I'm picturing it now as cartoon Aladdin saying it and oh man there would have been lots of awkward giggling if this happened to me. And duh Jasmine, why would someone want to drive to the airport instead of being at the Magic Kingdom or Agrahbah or Adventureland or whatever? Girl, you know better than that.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #45
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I love your Adventureland pictures, they're really pretty!

Oh god, Aladdin harassing you like that creeped me out at first! Jasmine seemed like she was grasping for questions to ask you, though! It seems like they were really sweet though, and I'm glad they made you feel comfortable! I'm still not brave enough for a meet and greet with a face character. A non-talking character and I'm fine, but one that can speak to me, forget it, I'm so nervous! I really have to get over it!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: