Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

We are heading down in September and DS is really looking forward to Legoland. My kids are older (11 and 12) but do not enjoy thrill rides AT ALL. Soarin' is about as thrilling as they get at WDW. :lol: At any rate, I've read the ride descriptions and I think a lot of them will be enjoyable for us and we won't have to worry about height requirements.

My question is, how much time should we plan to spend? I had originally planned to do only one day but now I'm considering two since I've read so much about long lines. We were going to just take a day to drive to Winter Haven but if we do 2 park days I'm considering going there first, doing a half day on our arrival day and then a full day the following day. Then we'd head to Orlando after leaving the park on the 2nd day.

Does a day and half seem sufficient or should we plan for two full days? I'm hoping for lower crowds in September.
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
We are heading down in September and DS is really looking forward to Legoland. My kids are older (11 and 12) but do not enjoy thrill rides AT ALL. Soarin' is about as thrilling as they get at WDW. :lol: At any rate, I've read the ride descriptions and I think a lot of them will be enjoyable for us and we won't have to worry about height requirements.

My question is, how much time should we plan to spend? I had originally planned to do only one day but now I'm considering two since I've read so much about long lines. We were going to just take a day to drive to Winter Haven but if we do 2 park days I'm considering going there first, doing a half day on our arrival day and then a full day the following day. Then we'd head to Orlando after leaving the park on the 2nd day.

Does a day and half seem sufficient or should we plan for two full days? I'm hoping for lower crowds in September.
I think a day and a half is perfect. When we went in October, it wasn't crowded at all, but many of the rides are "slow loaders" so even with a short line, it takes a while to get on each ride. We arrived at 10:00 when the park opened and left around 4 (it closed at 5 that day) and we feel like there were a few things we didn't see.

Not sure how it applies to promotinal tickets, but you can add an extra day for $15. There aren't a whole lot of hotel choices in Winter Haven - looks like the best ones might be in Lake Wales about 5 min away. We're going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Lake Wales...I'll be glad to report back when we return
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post

A day an a half worked for us. I think the park would be lovely when it's not crowded, raining and properly staffed.

DS 11 DS 8

jkstewart1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
I think a day and a half is perfect. When we went in October, it wasn't crowded at all, but many of the rides are "slow loaders" so even with a short line, it takes a while to get on each ride. We arrived at 10:00 when the park opened and left around 4 (it closed at 5 that day) and we feel like there were a few things we didn't see.

Not sure how it applies to promotinal tickets, but you can add an extra day for $15. There aren't a whole lot of hotel choices in Winter Haven - looks like the best ones might be in Lake Wales about 5 min away. We're going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Lake Wales...I'll be glad to report back when we return
Thank you! I'll definitely look into hotels in Lake Wales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1800 View Post
A day an a half worked for us. I think the park would be lovely when it's not crowded, raining and properly staffed.
Here's hoping.
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

We were toying with the idea of planning a Legoland/Sea World trip for this year since we just went to WDW this past August; but I am reconsidering the whole idea of going to Legoland based not only on the feedback from this thread, but also feedback from other threads/posts about Legoland on these boards and other sources. For a park that is supposed to be targeted to families with young children, I don't think they designed/planned the park to account for: the logistical needs of families with multiple children considering the child/adult ratio needed for most of the rides, having rides that can accommodate the whole family instead of only children over 36 inches tall accompanied by one adult, how to efficiently manage the queues, the inefficiency of slow loading/low capacity rides, and the lower value for your dollar when the cost of admission is contrasted against the park's limited hours of operation. The theming looks beautiful from photos I've seen and it seems like it is a fun park, but I am starting to gradually lose interest. My kids enjoy Legos, but they aren't Lego fanatics and were just as happy to visit the Lego Store/Center in Downtown Disney during our recent WDW trip. If we ever go to Orlando to visit other (non-Disney) parks, we will probably just stick with Universal and Sea World.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

also, and this may matter more to others... not many of the rides are made for pooh sized people. they are kiddie rides... I am 150lbs and 5' 8" - and I couldn't sit next to another adult on some of the rides because they seats were so small.

DS 11 DS 8

Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pirates2Princesses View Post
We were toying with the idea of planning a Legoland/Sea World trip for this year since we just went to WDW this past August; but I am reconsidering the whole idea of going to Legoland based not only on the feedback from this thread, but also feedback from other threads/posts about Legoland on these boards and other sources. For a park that is supposed to be targeted to families with young children, I don't think they designed/planned the park to account for: the logistical needs of families with multiple children considering the child/adult ratio needed for most of the rides, having rides that can accommodate the whole family instead of only children over 36 inches tall accompanied by one adult, how to efficiently manage the queues, the inefficiency of slow loading/low capacity rides, and the lower value for your dollar when the cost of admission is contrasted against the park's limited hours of operation. The theming looks beautiful from photos I've seen and it seems like it is a fun park, but I am starting to gradually lose interest. My kids enjoy Legos, but they aren't Lego fanatics and were just as happy to visit the Lego Store/Center in Downtown Disney during our recent WDW trip. If we ever go to Orlando to visit other (non-Disney) parks, we will probably just stick with Universal and Sea World.
The two other things that really disapointed me was 1) I had hoped for more Lego-y stuff to do, create, interact with vs. rides and 2) the rudeness of the CM (which most likely was due to the fact that they were themselves under staffed and over whelmed) One CM actually said to us guests waiting in line "could I ask you all to start sitting 2 or 3 to a boat so we can get done and out of here? We're supposed to be closed by 7:30."

DS 11 DS 8

Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1800 View Post
The two other things that really disapointed me was 1) I had hoped for more Lego-y stuff to do, create, interact with vs. rides and 2) the rudeness of the CM (which most likely was due to the fact that they were themselves under staffed and over whelmed) One CM actually said to us guests waiting in line "could I ask you all to start sitting 2 or 3 to a boat so we can get done and out of here? We're supposed to be closed by 7:30."
The CM's at Legoland obviously don't have to go through any kind of training or class that shows them how to use courteous words or etiquette like I'm sure they go through at Disney.From my experience of visiting the park I could tell right away even though it was a super nice park I don't think I want to visit it on a very busy day,I just don't think the park,the employees or the rides are suited for huge crowds,actually hold on,the parking lot is huge,the parking lot can handle some good crowds.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
The CM's at Legoland obviously don't have to go through any kind of training or class that shows them how to use courteous words or etiquette like I'm sure they go through at Disney.From my experience of visiting the park I could tell right away even though it was a super nice park I don't think I want to visit it on a very busy day,I just don't think the park,the employees or the rides are suited for huge crowds,actually hold on,the parking lot is huge,the parking lot can handle some good crowds.

This is what I've been hearing about this park. I didn't want to come across as completely negative towards Legoland in my previous post and I am sure it is a fun park for what it is, but it seems like it wasn't designed or planned for vacationers, particularly vacationing families with multiple small children. If we were Florida residents or closer to Florida, then I could see the possibility of doing a day trip or short getaway to Legoland; but considering all the logistical and operational issues I've heard about, I don't think it would be feasible for us to go out of our way to spend a day there. This is primarily because our family would only go to Florida for a vacation since we are so far away and for us that means traveling during the summer months or school breaks, and from what I've heard Legoland wouldn't be the ideal theme park to visit in the summer months or busy periods. I know comparing Legoland to WDW is like comparing apples to oranges, but at least our family knows that if we go to WDW in the summer (which we have) that there are a lot of indoor and air conditioned attractions/queues and that the park hours are long enough so that we can take an afternoon nap/pool break and come back in the evening; or if we go to WDW during a busy period we know that WDW is really good with managing crowds and queues and that we can take advantage of rope drop and fast passes. It is possible that Legoland is just going through some growing pains since it is a new park and needs more time to get it together; but by the time that happens my kids really won't be into Legos or care about Legoland anymore.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

It rained while we were there, that kind of Florida rain which vacillated between misty breeze and down pour every 20-30 minutes. What really struck me was that the employees operating the outdoor rides (the carousel specifically) was provided NO protection from the rain... the guests in line weren't either... but NO umbrella for that poor girl standing in the rain seemed liked they weren't even trying!

It was stuff like that that made me shake my head.

DS 11 DS 8

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #26
alloyd1170
DIS Veteran

We did a Legoland/Clearwater Marine Aquarium trip for our 6 & ~10 year olds. We were at Legoland on the 28th and what a madhouse! I knew it would be crowded, but it was unreal. The news that night said that all the theme parks closed due to record crowds.

Thankfully we got the 2 kids tickets for free through Pepsi because we only got a few rides in. Lines were 90+ minutes for a short 2-3 minute ride. The food lines were almost as bad. For example, the carousel was probably the shortest line all day. It cycled 5 roatations, yet took longer to unload/reload. The CM had to inspect every rider (it's a 2 story ride) to be sure everyone had a seatbelt on, including adults. At the boat ride, they announced there would be no single riders, yet boat after boat went by with single riders!

I would not want to do the park in the summer. The bugs were awful. I believe they were Mayflies, and they were all over the Legos in Miniland USA. Everything is pretty much outdoors too, whereas at Disney, you can escape inside for many attractions. The water ski show while somewhat cute with the costumes, was not very impressive. We heard from locals that the fireworks are pretty good, and they give you glasses that make them look like Legos. However, we did not stick around to deal with the parking lot aftermath. We also wanted a real meal down the road before the restaurants started filling up.

The other real disappointment was the shopping. The selection was not very good. We bought a few park souvenirs, then headed to Downtown Disney's Lego store on our way home. There they had a much larger selection, more space, and the biggest bonus-I could use my Lego VIP rewards to earn and redeem certificates. You can't use it at Legoland which is really dumb.

On a side note, if you've seen the movie Dolphin Tale, then check out the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. It's a small place, but they know how to manage a crowd. Normal daily attendance is 400-500 but when we were there it was 5200! They did a wonderful job spreading the crowd out by offering free trolley rides to their new Dolphin Tale exhibit in town. They also gave us free entrance to it, plus 20% in that gift shop. We got to bypass the long line to buy tickets at the aquarium and bought them at the exhibit (you can also buy them online). Once back at the aquarium, we walked right in. The staff there is amazing...friendly, informative, and very willing to talk to anyone who will listen. We ended the day with dinner at Frenchy's Rockaway Grill which is right on the beach. Our kids played in the sand while we enjoyed a sunset and quiet meal.

'73 (CR) My 1st trip @ 3- '80's (CR & FWC) Many family trips-'00 (GF) Disneyana Convention-'00 (GF) DH 1st /Mom's last trip -2/03 (CR) DS's 1st trip @ 1-1/04 (CR) Family trip-9/06 (CR) DD's 1st trip @ 15 mos-2/07 Roughing it @ FWC-9/07 (GF) Here we come again- 7/08 (SSR) DD's 3rd bday- 7/09 (SSR) DD's 4th bday-7/10 (SSR) DD's 5th bday - 4/11 (SSR) DD dancing @ the World-
alloyd1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

We were there on the 26th and 27th. It sounds like you had about the same experience as we did. What killed me about the lines being so long is that they never filled the rides to capacity most of the time. If a family had an odd number of people in it or less than the ride took they would just send the cars/boats/whatever on their merry way!

DS 11 DS 8

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
tink20
DIS Veteran

I was thinking of taking DS, he is 10. Do you think 10 is too old? I just wanted to take him before he got any older and had no interest. or....Would Busch Gardens be better? He isn't in to thrill rides, Splash and BTM are about as thrilling as he goes. Do you think we should do the 1-1/2 days, and how do you get the extra day, online it only has 1 day ticket for sale. How much are tickets at AAA? Is it worth getting a membership?

We would be going end of May, first of June, if that matters and would a weekday be better?

TIA
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
jkstewart1800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink20 View Post
I was thinking of taking DS, he is 10. Do you think 10 is too old? I just wanted to take him before he got any older and had no interest. or....Would Busch Gardens be better? He isn't in to thrill rides, Splash and BTM are about as thrilling as he goes. Do you think we should do the 1-1/2 days, and how do you get the extra day, online it only has 1 day ticket for sale. How much are tickets at AAA? Is it worth getting a membership?

We would be going end of May, first of June, if that matters and would a weekday be better?

TIA
We had one 10 year old in our group and he seemed to like it just as much as the 5 year olds did. I think one day is fine because there are some rides that he will choose not to go on because they are very obviously for little ones.
I am sure weekday would be better than the weekend.

DS 11 DS 8

Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
momto2js
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink20 View Post

TIA
I would wait to make the decision about a late May/ early June trip until you read some feedback about the park in the heat. It has occured to me that this is the first legoland park in a place that can be "hotter than the face of the sun". It is indeed MOSTLY outside and I can't imagine what it will be like in the summer afternoons. It will be interesting to see if the feedback is as bad as I think it will be.

If you are paying full price, then I'd opt for busch gardens. But BG is one of our favorite parks.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: