Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #121
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

The Trip, Part 2 – “Sand”

In this chapter I will reveal the meaning of the second portion of my Pre-Trip Report title “Glennbo’s City, Sand, and Savanna PTR”: Sand.

It’s not really much of a secret if you look at my ticker though, is it?

Sand = Vero Beach, FL!

Specifically, Disney’s Vero Beach Resort

As seen from the road:

(This photo has been borrowed from the internet and will be returned the moment you close this post, I promise.)

Or, as seen via riptide:

(Yes, yes, this is another image borrowed from the internet.)

We figured we’d like to give another Disney resort a try, and this one would definitely give us a different type of vacation than the theme parks. A few days of sun, sand, and surf. But even more of a plus is the fact that this one is very close to Judy’s sister (who’s made a couple of appearances in past trip reports), so we’ll have a chance to get together.

We want to hit Walt Disney World on Saturday, June 23rd (to give us a week there before the 4th of July crowds hit, plus I need to be back at work in early July), and Judy wants 4 nights in Vero, so working backward we wanted to book Tuesday June 19th through the 22nd (checking out on the 23rd). Arriving on Tuesday will give Judy and Lauren a day or so of “turnaround time” after their trip to NYC, which may be short but life’s rough when you have all of these fantastic trips to take, isn’t it?

Since our home DVC resort is not Vero Beach, we had to wait until the 7-month mark to try to make a reservation. (You can book your home resort at 10 months out, all others at 7.) I called Member Services the morning of November 19th, and boom, got everything I wanted. We got the exact dates, and a 1 bedroom unit, which according to the DVC points chart can sleep 5 people.

I tell ya, between the RCI trade for New York City, and this non-home-resort reservation, I’m becoming the poster boy of flexibly using DVC. Or maybe just incredibly lucky.

As for activities while at Vero, I think we’re just going to enjoy the beach and the pool, mostly.

One other potentially cool thing though… The latest edition of Disney Files magazine (a publication for DVC owners) brought to my attention that June and July are the prime months to see nesting sea turtles crawling on the beach to lay their eggs.

(This picture is from allears.net and it says that Gene Duncan was the photographer.)

The staff at Vero Beach offer sea turtle night walks, but selection to attend is by raffle and they can’t guarantee that everyone will be accommodated. The Archie Carr Refuge however, offers a couple of other opportunities a few miles north of the Vero Beach resort. I plan to call and reserve some spots for us when registration opens in May.

TRANSPORTATION
This seems to be as good a time as any to touch on the subject of transportation. Okay, yeah, well, hmmm, interesting. So, the thing is, we have a new driver in our household, and at the moment we’re down one vehicle due to recent unfortunate events. (The van from the "Something Alarming Happened at Sonic" story.) We’ll have to replace it soon (yes, the events were that unfortunate), and that’s going to put a crimp in the ol’ budget. I’m still looking at flights, in case there’s some sudden “half price sale”, but driving is looking more and more likely. Considering that the “flying” scenario has the cost of flights and the cost to rent a car to/from Vero, the cost of “driving” looks like a big savings in comparison, even though I’ll hate the extra time and effort required.

Well anyway, there you have it. Now you know part 2. The "Sand" portion of the trip is for our family, ie. me, Judy and the kids, to spend 4 nights in Vero Beach Florida.

Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 01-16-2012 at 06:54 PM.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #122
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Vero Beach looks beautiful. Sorry about the car situation. That is unfortunate. But I suppose that driving makes more and more sense with three kids. Hopefully, you'll find plane tickets at the price you want.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #123
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Before I forget 0 Judys!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
♪ ♪ ♫ "Don't cry for me Argentina!" ♪ ♪ ♫

Sounds like fun. If I were going, I'd be planning on a couple museums, but I don't think Judy and Lauren are interested in that.
That's why the girls are going to Kleinfelds.

Quote:
Pay no attention to this little ol' post.

Quote:
TRANSPORTATION
This seems to be as good a time as any to touch on the subject of transportation. Okay, yeah, well, hmmm, interesting. So, the thing is, we have a new driver in our household, and at the moment we’re down one vehicle due to recent unfortunate events. We’ll have to replace it soon (yes, the events were that unfortunate), and that’s going to put a crimp in the ol’ budget. I’m still looking at flights, in case there’s some sudden “half price sale”, but driving is looking more and more likely. Considering that the “flying” scenario has the cost of flights and the cost to rent a car to/from Vero, the cost of “driving” looks like a big savings in comparison, even though I’ll hate the extra time and effort required.
Darn, I thought you were going to get to go shoping. I guess it is good that it can be repaired as well. Keep looking for airfare. Usually sales come out in the wainter. Check Tuesday and Wednesdays for airfare, usually those are the days to find the cheapest fares. Do you use KAYAK.com to search?

If none of that works out then driving is the way to go!!! I think I am driving in July too.

Remember you will have one extra driver to help with the drive.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #124
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Wow, Vero Beach looks lovely. And how cool would it be to see the turtles laying the eggs.

Sorry to hear about the car incident. Been there, done that.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #125
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Vero Beach looks beautiful. Sorry about the car situation. That is unfortunate. But I suppose that driving makes more and more sense with three kids. Hopefully, you'll find plane tickets at the price you want.
I think we'll have some fun, relaxing days in Vero.

Thanks.

Yes, when buying tickets for 5, the cost adds up quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Before I forget 0 Judys!.
You're on the board!

Quote:
That's why the girls are going to Kleinfelds.
Right. And why I'm not invited.

Quote:

Quote:
Darn, I thought you were going to get to go shoping. I guess it is good that it can be repaired as well.
It can't be repaired....I am shopping. Right now, for a "beater" car. Later, for a new van. Oh, I should have mentioned this was the van in the infamous "Something Alarming Happened at Sonic" story. Maybe I should go edit the post.

Quote:
Keep looking for airfare. Usually sales come out in the wainter. Check Tuesday and Wednesdays for airfare, usually those are the days to find the cheapest fares. Do you use KAYAK.com to search?
I do sometimes use Kayak, but mostly just check on if Southwest has changed any prices. So far, nothing has changed for several weeks.

Quote:
If none of that works out then driving is the way to go!!! I think I am driving in July too.

Remember you will have one extra driver to help with the drive.
Oh, I know I will....I'm just not sure how I feel about that.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #126
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Wow, Vero Beach looks lovely. And how cool would it be to see the turtles laying the eggs.
I think it'd be really cool. We'll have to see if our timing fits with the turtles'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Sorry to hear about the car incident. Been there, done that.
Thanks. It's been a little rough.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #127
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It can't be repaired....I am shopping. Right now, for a "beater" car. Later, for a new van. Oh, I should have mentioned this was the van in the infamous "Something Alarming Happened at Sonic" story. Maybe I should go edit the post.
Well poop. I was hoping something would work out better for you.

Quote:
I do sometimes use Kayak, but mostly just check on if Southwest has changed any prices. So far, nothing has changed for several weeks.
From what the news is saying.... airfare is not going down soon but SW is the one to watch.

Quote:
Oh, I know I will....I'm just not sure how I feel about that.
Let me just say - to the airport and back - I drove. I will let my son drive over my daughter most days. I am just a horrible "passenger seat driver".
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #128
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Major ugh on the van, I'm really sorry to hear that. Never good timing for those kinds of issues is it? I feel your pain on tickets for 5, or rooms for 5 or 9 lol. It is hard to balance out the cost against all that lost time. Fingers crossed that there are some magic airfare deals for you. Vero looks absolutely lovely. If we end up keeping our August cruise there is a good chance we will have 3 or 4 nights there ourselves so I'll be wanting villa details if we do! Jeff does not want to do WDW (although it is not out of the realm of possibility that 3 kids convince him otherwise, it will be interesting to see how that plays out) and so this seems the perfect compromise.

Sea turtles, now that would be cool!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #129
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Darn it Pat, you beat me to it...0 Judys.

Yay, the beach part of your trip is explained! You're right, I think "sand" in the title sort of gave it away though, along with the ticker in your signature.

What a beautiful resort! How far is Vero Beach from Disney? I didn't even realize it was at all connected with DVC either. Learn something new everyday!

Oh, the turtles nesting sounds like such an amazing thing to see. I hope you win the lottery then and are picked to go. That's a really cool picture you borrowed from the internet. Do you happen to know what in the heck that black blob is on it's back?

Poor Lauren and Judy, only one day to recuperate and then off to the beach! Boy, life is hard as an adult, isn't it? I wouldn't mind having that problem.

Oh man, sorry to hear about your car troubles. We had a caravan for years, we bought it used and it literally up and died one day. Just like that. They wanted over $3000 to fix it so we opted to buy an suv instead (which I love!). Good luck with the search, I hope it doesn't put too big of a dent in your finances and vacation fund.

Driving isn't too bad. We drive it everytime rather than fly the five of us down. It's only about 13 hours for us so probably not too much more than that for you, right? I'd be a wee bit nervous letting one of my daughters drive too. I'm a horrible backseat driver, I'm sure I'll drive them crazy with my nervousness and they'll only want to drive with my DH instead.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #130
BMC423
DIS Veteran

So I stumbled upon this PTR while searching fro May 2012 PTRs (since we are going back in May) and I was quite excited! I read your last TR, though I didn't comment much due to work, school, family... you get the point. ANYWAY, I will try to keep up with this PTR but I know how quickly pages appear on your reports .

Congrats to your family on all your 2012 milestones!

Great news on the trip to NYC, you can add me to the list of people willing to send you info. The hotel is actually a block away from my job, I'm on 6th and 55th so I know that area pretty well!
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
BMC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #131
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Yay, you made it to the relaxing portion of the trip! Do you have any plans to head into town for dinner? We know a fabulous place to eat....
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #132
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer

I hope you get to see some sea turtles. They are pretty cool! I think the kids will really love seeing them. Vero beach will be some nice downtime before you hit the parks. And it's a bonus that Judy gets to visit her sister. Unless her sister is like my sister then........

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #133
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

I'm excited to see your Vero Beach leg - it's on my "some day soon" list!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #134
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Vero Beach looks like a it will be a relaxing few days before hitting the parks.. we expect a full tour of the resort in the TR.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #135
Avery&Todd
DIS Veteran

WOWIE!! NYC AND Vero Beach in the same trip!! (well, some of your party gets the NYC leg...)

that sounds AWESOME!!!

My 2 sisters and I are going to see Wicked when it comes to town the end of May, and our tickets were "reasonable" for pretty good seats, and I cant imagine how much tickets in NYC are....but Im sure they're "bank breakable"!! Perhaps they'll just skip the popcorn to save a little....

oh dern it all! you ARE going to miss us at WDW - or are we going to miss you??? We're arriving June 8th and check out the 14th... the boys last day of school is June 7th and I'm having them skip it (such a slacker mom, right??) and we'll start driving that morning after the dogs get dropped off a "camp" and it takes us like 7 hrs to get just to the other side of Jacksonville, FL and then we'll spend the night, get up and arrive at the Beach Club by 10am on the 8th!!!!

June 2015: It's time to plan!! Where should we stay???
June 2012 - BC June 2010 - WL June 2009 - WL
Avery&Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: