Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #61
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post

I'm going to reveal the dates and other details when I explain each portion: "City", "Sand", and "Savanna"....but would "late June" cover it for now?
Awww, BOO!!!!! We are heading over the last week of May / first week of June. Unless something changes, I'm pretty sure that's our window. Also, friends backed out so now we are doing 8 nights rather than 6.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #62
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer

I'm always late to the party...like last night, I came home from work, fell asleep, and woke up at 12:10am.

Happy New Year!!!

I've been gone from the DIS lately. My new years resolution is to spend more time on the DIS. This is definitely a great way to keep me coming back!!

Glad to see you started.

Congrats to your parents for 60 years. I'm struggling at just the 5 year mark.

Can't wait to read all the details.

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #63
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
You are flying outta New York CITY!!!??????
and .....I'm going to have to score that as correct!

We're not flying out of NYC, but New York City is the correct city. Now I guess I'll have to post the update. Look for it in in a few minutes.

Great job Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
So late to the game and only at post #3 but of course Dan beat me to it.

2 Judys
Pat! I know you would've gotten the points if you had been on the DIS when I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Litle thing like Disney is the cause for my delay. I will catch up eventually.
Best excuse I've ever heard! I hope you're having a great time.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #64
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post
Awww, BOO!!!!! We are heading over the last week of May / first week of June. Unless something changes, I'm pretty sure that's our window. Also, friends backed out so now we are doing 8 nights rather than 6.
Oh well. We'll still have school going then, so have to wait until later in June.

Yay for 2 more nights, although I'm sure you would've liked to have had some friends along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreightonsMomma View Post
I'm always late to the party...like last night, I came home from work, fell asleep, and woke up at 12:10am.

Happy New Year!!!
Howdy Jen! and Happy New Year!

I went to bed around 11, but awoke a while later to the sounds of fireworks going off in the neighborhood. I looked at my clock and sure enough, it was 12:21am. (My clock is 21 minutes fast. )

Quote:
I've been gone from the DIS lately. My new years resolution is to spend more time on the DIS. This is definitely a great way to keep me coming back!!

Glad to see you started.
Great resolution! I look forward to your posts.

Quote:
Congrats to your parents for 60 years. I'm struggling at just the 5 year mark.

Can't wait to read all the details.
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #65
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

The Trip, Part 1 – “City”

In this chapter I will reveal the meaning of the first portion of my Pre-Trip Report title “Glennbo’s City, Sand, and Savanna PTR”: City.

Well, it really started several years ago when Judy was earning PChef incentive trips. (You’ll have to look back at my last PTR and TR to understand the abbreviation “PChef” if you aren’t already familiar with it.) We had some family trips, but we also had a couple of parents-only vacations. The kids complained about that a little, and apparently Judy promised to take each of them on a little “getaway” vacation for their high school graduations. I say “apparently” because Judy doesn’t remember it as a promise, but the kids certainly took it that way. To Judy, I’m sure that when it was discussed it seemed like the day to pay up would never arrive, and she didn’t envision quitting PChef and not having an annual trip, but regardless of the circumstances the kids are holding her to it…and Lauren’s high school graduation is looming this Spring, June of 2012.

So we decided to look into using some of our Disney Vacation Club points to trade-out to an RCI destination. We set the parameter that the destination needed to be within reasonable driving distance from our home here in southeastern Pennsylvania and showed Lauren the various choices on the RCI website. We let her consider all of the resorts from the New England states down to Virginia, and maybe even North Carolina, if something was really attractive. But her mind was already made up really before she looked at the choices – she wanted to visit New York City.

(picture borrowed from the world-wide interweb)

RCI only has two resorts in New York City and our dates were pretty firm, so I was a little worried about getting a trade since everything I’ve read has said that trades can be difficult to get, and you need to be especially flexible around dates and it’s helpful to be flexible on location as well.

You can book 10 months in advance, so I called member services on Aug. 16th, in an attempt to book June 14, 15, and 16th. The first resort, The Hilton Club of New York, had no availability, but the second, the Manhattan Club, had a Studio available for our exact dates – exactly what we wanted! After borrowing some points from my next use year to cover the trade, and some discussion around a few other items, I was off the phone. The whole process only took about 15 minutes.

(photo courtesy of "the internets")

Let me tell you, after booking it I was starting to feel really jealous of Judy and Lauren going on this trip….and you know, there would be enough room in a Studio for me to tag along. But we talked and decided that it’s always been thought of as a “one parent and one child” thing, and I should probably hang back on the homefront with the other two yayhoos anyway. Plus, Lauren is a fan of “Say Yes to the Dress” and wants to see Kleinfeld’s, and I, well, don’t.

(photo generously on-loan from the internet)

Lauren confessed to Judy that in a way, she wished that I was going with them on the trip, so that I could help them plan! Thanks….I think.

I’ll have to take that as a compliment, even though there are many other reasons I’d like to think that I’d be desired to have along. Anyway, I said I’d help them plan if they’d agree to take pictures, keep notes, and write a little narrative to include in my DISboards trip report.

So we started talking about what they wanted to do. The one Broadway show that Lauren really wants to see is “Wicked”.

(yeah, I borrowed this photo from the internet too)

I went online to look at ticket prices and of course, was shocked. I know I should have expected it, but I was hoping for them to be less expensive. On the website I could see the available seats, and noticed that even for June, six months away, seats were getting scooped up. So, considering that, and that it’s the only show Lauren wants to see, we went ahead and booked it. The tickets are already in-hand.

Other than that, there’s still planning to be done, such as train transportation to get them there, and maybe an excursion or two, and certainly some restaurants. If you have any recommendations, let me know!

So there you have it. The "City" portion of the trip is for two of our clan, Judy and Lauren, spending 3 nights in June, in New York City.

Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 01-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #66
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Very cool! Love that you traded out. Trading out gets a bad wrap but we did and had a great time. NYC's first timeshare resort, can't wait to see their pics.

My Gabby loves Say Yes to the Dress too.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #67
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer

Wow! What a nice trip for Judy and Lauren. I am jealous!! One day i'll get there and see a broadway.

Hey, at least Lauren said she wanted you for your planning abilities and not just so you can pay for everything.

Lauren will definitely remember this special time with her Momma!

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #68
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

NYC sounds like it's going to be a fun trip for Judy and Lauren! That's awesome that the plans worked out!

Shocked you passed up Kleinfeld's!!

(I actually have 2 friends that have applied to be on Say Yes to The Dress, it seems like it would be a cool place to visit, but also very overwhelming and filled with tulle )
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #69
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Hopefully they have a nice time! I've only ever been to NYC twice. Once on a field trip to see Les Mis in 10th grade. The second was with work and I didn't go *in* the city, but we did a dinner cruise and I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time.

I still want to go someday!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #70
Rozz
DIS Veteran

Ha! I found you! Another glennbo and family TR!

Okay, I think I'm ready: Judy sightings, random words for ad effect (affect?), and keep up with reading report updates. Got it!

Lauren made a great choice for her special trip! So exciting!

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #71
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

What a fun graduation trip! I have always wanted to go to NYC. I am glad they will be taking pics and notes of their adventures.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #72
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Lauren will love New York City. I've never been but DD Michelle went last January and August with her now husband to be. The one show she wanted to see was Wicked. They saw it and January and loved it! They didn't go to Klienfield's but she did "say yes to a dress" Thursday night. There is so much to see and do I know they will have a fabulous time.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #73
MEK
DIS Veteran

Cool NYC trip. I hope it was a good trade point wise. It really seems like some of the trades aren't. I'm glad it was easy to do.

I love "Say Yes to the Dress". Not quite as much as "What not to Wear", but it is a fun show and the reruns come on during my lunch time and since we have a TV in our office. Well, let's just say I'm a fan.

Wicked is unbelievable phenomenal! The will LOVE it. It's the best singing anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw it at the Academy of Music a couple years ago and the tickets were less than half of what they charge in NYC. Still - such a cool experience. I hope they have a wonderful time!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #74
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I love everything they are doing in NYC! Wicked toured in Wichita and we saw it and it was wonderful! Klienfields would be such a fun experience! They are so lucky to have you planning this for them!
wigdoutdismom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: