Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





View Poll Results: What would be a good date for a long weekend convention?
September 2012 5 9.43%
November 2012 7 13.21%
January 2013 19 35.85%
March 2013 7 13.21%
May 2013 11 20.75%
Summer 2013 8 15.09%
Don't care when, I'll be there! 5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #46
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Just to give folks an idea of the prices we're talking about on a group reservation (and these are just estimates), I ran some numbers. I looked at a long weekend of September 6, 2012 through September 10, 2012 - the weekend AFTER Labor Day weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Undiscounted room-only ratesAnimal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $340/night (shared by 3 people - $113.33/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $360/night (shared by 3 - $120/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $171/night (shared by 2 - $85.50/night)

Guesstimated Discounts - 25% on Deluxe, 20% on Moderate
Animal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $255/night (shared by 3 - $85/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $270/night (shared by 3 - $90/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $136.80/night (shared by 2 - 68.40/night)

Note that those are ONLY estimates, but I think they're not unreasonable estimates. Tickets would also be available at a discounted rate, and can include little bonuses (commonly, a free water park admission). We'd also have the ability to book a special event, like an Illuminations dessert party.

Thanks, Aaron! This is great! (Plus that's my birthday weekend!)

I still worry that we won't get 10 rooms (and if we don't get 10 rooms, would it be a penalty in some form?) I also think it will be too difficult (and not worth the trouble) to coordinate family trips. So far, we have 10 "pretty definite" guys for a solo trip (Fed just texted me back). I say that we schedule a long weekend and if other guys want to bring families, then great, but we can't count on the guys with families to bulk up our numbers. There are just too many factors involved in bringing your families.
__________________
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #47
patkingpin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 182

My wife loves the idea. Since I am one of the more newer and more quieter of the DisDads, she thinks it would be great to meet some of you in person. Hmm, good angle I think.
Of course she would want to be there also with our daughter but I think that can be worked out.

ETA: I missed the dates from the last post. A September 2012 trip would be tight since we take our annual vacation the first week in October to Beach Club. I would love the January 2013 trip though.
__________________
DIS Dads member #641 - Maelstrom Kingpins forever!

Oct. 07 Honeymoon - Beach Club Villas
Oct. 08 Anniversary - Beach Club Villas
Oct. 11 Belle's first Disney Vacation! - Coronado Springs
Oct. 12 First DVC trip as an owner! Belle turns 3 and our 5 Year Anniversary all in one trip! - Beach Club Villas
Jan. 14 First trip with Kenzie!!! Boardwalk here we come!

Last edited by patkingpin; 12-30-2011 at 12:40 PM.
patkingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #48
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkingpin View Post
My wife loves the idea. Since I am one of the more newer and more quieter of the DisDads, she thinks it would be great to meet some of you in person. Hmm, good angle I think.
Of course she would want to be there also with our daughter but I think that can be worked out.
Excellent! Up to 11!
__________________
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much
 
stopher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)
Posts: 14,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
My wife is actually very supportive of a mancation. She takes a yearly girls trip with friends from college, so sees nothing wrong with me doing this and in fact fully supports and encourages it! Clearly, I married very well!
You and me both, Chris.
__________________
Christopher DW DS (18) DS (15) DD (10) BICOASTAL SOLO Adventure: Nov/Dec'10 / Daddy-Daughter Adventure: AKV Sep'10
SOLO Adventures: WDW Jun '10 / Triple Whammy WDW Family Trip-Jan'10 / SOLO Adventures: DL Nov/Dec'09 / Father/Sons Adventure May'09
My 13,000th Post My 12,000th Post My 10,000th Post

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #50
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again
 
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Along the Nation Ford, SC
Posts: 5,756

Do y’all have a firm time frame yet (or a general idea)?


I like the concept, but my employer severally limits the weeks that I am allowed to be off site, so the “when” would dictate greatly whether of not I could join in on this expedition.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #51
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
I still worry that we won't get 10 rooms (and if we don't get 10 rooms, would it be a penalty in some form?)
I may be wrong about how difficult it is to get to 10 rooms. With David N, patkingpin and Fed, that brings up "pretty definite" numbers up to 12. If we do 2/room (instead of 3 so it will bump up our costs a bit), it might be reachable.
__________________
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #52
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much
 
stopher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)
Posts: 14,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
I still worry that we won't get 10 rooms (and if we don't get 10 rooms, would it be a penalty in some form?) I also think it will be too difficult (and not worth the trouble) to coordinate family trips. So far, we have 10 "pretty definite" guys for a solo trip (Fed just texted me back). I say that we schedule a long weekend and if other guys want to bring families, then great, but we can't count on the guys with families to bulk up our numbers. There are just too many factors involved in bringing your families.
I agree with you 100% Chris.

Bringing the family along is wonderful - but with my son in high school now - he'll be a junior in fall 2012 - we simply cannot go as a family at any time of year like we once did. I understand - really I do - those guys who's wives won't let them go alone - but it's been way too many years now of solo business trips, with stops in both Anaheim and Orlando for my DW to really care. We've been to WDW and DL as a family so many stinking times - she could care less if I go solo or not. Sure she loves going as well, but she's not going to try to stop me from going solo either. It's become cruising that she doesn't want me going solo (though I need to do that for my cruise/travel business).

I like your thinking Chris, and I'm up for it. I will schedule it when we narrow down dates, and pretty much plan on it.
__________________
Christopher DW DS (18) DS (15) DD (10) BICOASTAL SOLO Adventure: Nov/Dec'10 / Daddy-Daughter Adventure: AKV Sep'10
SOLO Adventures: WDW Jun '10 / Triple Whammy WDW Family Trip-Jan'10 / SOLO Adventures: DL Nov/Dec'09 / Father/Sons Adventure May'09
My 13,000th Post My 12,000th Post My 10,000th Post

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #53
patkingpin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
I may be wrong about how difficult it is to get to 10 rooms. With David N, patkingpin and Fed, that brings up "pretty definite" numbers up to 12. If we do 2/room (instead of 3 so it will bump up our costs a bit), it might be reachable.
My thought is that if the wife and 2yo (then 3yo) daughter come with, we would hopefully be able to book one of the rooms at the group rate. That would help get to 10 rooms, and solve my family problem all in one right?
The only downfall is I wouldn't be sharing nice with others.
Is that thinking bad or should I keep thinking this?
__________________
DIS Dads member #641 - Maelstrom Kingpins forever!

Oct. 07 Honeymoon - Beach Club Villas
Oct. 08 Anniversary - Beach Club Villas
Oct. 11 Belle's first Disney Vacation! - Coronado Springs
Oct. 12 First DVC trip as an owner! Belle turns 3 and our 5 Year Anniversary all in one trip! - Beach Club Villas
Jan. 14 First trip with Kenzie!!! Boardwalk here we come!
patkingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #54
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix
 
DisneyDadC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bucks County, Pa
Posts: 2,539

This is how I see it:
We will never be able to find a time when everyone can make (wish we could).So we put the poll out there and we roll with what time we can get the most guys.As these meets start to take off hopefully we can add a summer time and a fall/winter time. But we have to start somewhere(thats where the date with most people come in).I just like the idea of getting it planned out so guys have plenty of time to try and make things work.
We can try to plan things out so that guys going with families/spouses etc can get and idea of the game plan and try to plan in the times to meet up(guys going solo can meet anytime lol).As we get further into the planning stages events can be added.However you must crawl before we can walk so the time/dates are our first step.
just for fyi, If summer I will bring my family.Fall/winter I might just bring my wife(MAY).Or I may just go solo I will worry about that part a bit later.
__________________
Deb DW,Carl Me,Billy DS21,Beth DD16,Becca DD14, Brandon DS11,Bobby DS9
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic


DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #55
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave
 
theduck619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 9,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
I don't want to speak for others, but when I said I want to bring my family with me to WDW, I (and they) would be fine with me leaving to go and do DIS Dad stuff. They just wouldn't be fine staying here in KY. So, I think a weekend is great, but then, I would have 5 more days with my family in WDW.

Now, if we wanted to add a family meet and greet as one of the activities, then that is ok as well.

What are we going to do on this convention? Are we touring the parks (like the Brazillian tourist herds), doing a KTTW tour, drinking in the convention hall, watching PPTs all day ( not a thumb), taking DVC tours, golf, beers around WS in Epcot, marathon (I'll be in the golfcart)? Anyone do marketing?
I would be interested in some of the group things we could come up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Just to give folks an idea of the prices we're talking about on a group reservation (and these are just estimates), I ran some numbers. I looked at a long weekend of September 6, 2012 through September 10, 2012 - the weekend AFTER Labor Day weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Undiscounted room-only ratesAnimal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $340/night (shared by 3 people - $113.33/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $360/night (shared by 3 - $120/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $171/night (shared by 2 - $85.50/night)

Guesstimated Discounts - 25% on Deluxe, 20% on Moderate
Animal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $255/night (shared by 3 - $85/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $270/night (shared by 3 - $90/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $136.80/night (shared by 2 - 68.40/night)

Note that those are ONLY estimates, but I think they're not unreasonable estimates. Tickets would also be available at a discounted rate, and can include little bonuses (commonly, a free water park admission). We'd also have the ability to book a special event, like an Illuminations dessert party.
Thanks Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkingpin View Post
My thought is that if the wife and 2yo (then 3yo) daughter come with, we would hopefully be able to book one of the rooms at the group rate. That would help get to 10 rooms, and solve my family problem all in one right?
The only downfall is I wouldn't be sharing nice with others.
Is that thinking bad or should I keep thinking this?
I would book a whole room for my family as well, which would help get the number of rooms up.
__________________
(me - David) (DW) DS 9 & = 9 (twins) DS 8 DD 7 DD 4

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 9/21/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #56
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
 
AJRitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 2,988

By the way - the reason I used September instead of January as the example is that the Disney website isn't letting me price room-only for January 2013 yet. I suspect that rates for January would likely be similar to September.

Here's what I'd like to suggest - we're building a corps of folks who are definitely interested here in this thread. I should be able to pull January pricing in the next couple of weeks, and also get some more information about group sales, discounts, etc. Let's keep the discussion going here - perhaps thinking about any group meals/rides/events/etc. that we might like to do. The vote here is pretty strongly in favor of January, so I'd like to get January numbers before going forward with anything.

Once we have a January date, we can narrow it down to a couple of dates - one in September and one in January and have a poll. Winner take all. We should be able to tell pretty quickly whether we'll have enough people committed to support a 10-room group buy. The biggest advantage of doing it that way is that it gives us some opportunities for special events that would be harder to do otherwise. (And it looks like some pretty great rates as well). If we don't have enough to buy 10-rooms, we'll still know early enough for people to book for themselves and still get good rates.
__________________
Aaron (45), Wife DW, The Bug DD (11), Bubba J DS (7)
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!


AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #57
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave
 
theduck619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 9,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
By the way - the reason I used September instead of January as the example is that the Disney website isn't letting me price room-only for January 2013 yet. I suspect that rates for January would likely be similar to September.

Here's what I'd like to suggest - we're building a corps of folks who are definitely interested here in this thread. I should be able to pull January pricing in the next couple of weeks, and also get some more information about group sales, discounts, etc. Let's keep the discussion going here - perhaps thinking about any group meals/rides/events/etc. that we might like to do. The vote here is pretty strongly in favor of January, so I'd like to get January numbers before going forward with anything.

Once we have a January date, we can narrow it down to a couple of dates - one in September and one in January and have a poll. Winner take all. We should be able to tell pretty quickly whether we'll have enough people committed to support a 10-room group buy. The biggest advantage of doing it that way is that it gives us some opportunities for special events that would be harder to do otherwise. (And it looks like some pretty great rates as well). If we don't have enough to buy 10-rooms, we'll still know early enough for people to book for themselves and still get good rates.
Sounds good. I agree we should look at both sets of dates.
__________________
(me - David) (DW) DS 9 & = 9 (twins) DS 8 DD 7 DD 4

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 9/21/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #58
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix
 
DisneyDadC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bucks County, Pa
Posts: 2,539

Im not looking into anything just tell me when it is
__________________
Deb DW,Carl Me,Billy DS21,Beth DD16,Becca DD14, Brandon DS11,Bobby DS9
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic


DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #59
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix
 
DisneyDadC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bucks County, Pa
Posts: 2,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Sounds good. I agree we should look at both sets of dates.
Im not looking into anything just tell me when it is
__________________
Deb DW,Carl Me,Billy DS21,Beth DD16,Becca DD14, Brandon DS11,Bobby DS9
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic


DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #60
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad
 
DisDadDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,693

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
Im not looking into anything just tell me when it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
Im not looking into anything just tell me when it is
Nice way to boost your post-count, Carl!
__________________
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: