Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What would be a good date for a long weekend convention?
September 2012 5 9.43%
November 2012 7 13.21%
January 2013 19 35.85%
March 2013 7 13.21%
May 2013 11 20.75%
Summer 2013 8 15.09%
Don't care when, I'll be there! 5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
r

Good thought. I think that what will probably happen is that we'll just pick a date and do it. If people can come, great. If not, then they won't be able to say that they were at the first one...
Ooooh, but I was at the first one...

This thread is for planning the second.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #32
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post

We can let future generations decide this question...
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Quote:
We can let future generations decide this question...
Maybe we need a new thread to vote on this?

It looks like it is early in the voting, but there may be another option.

Pick a June week and a December week (or Jan/July). Keep them 6 months apart. That way, dads with families and kids in school can meet in summer and then dads can meet in Dec, or both. Perhaps DISdads week(s) can become as famous as Jersey week. We just need to pick a week that has not already been taken.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #34
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:

And I was at this one ... solo! I would love to go again. I voted for September - but really, it doesn't matter to me that much. I'm always up for a visit. If I can make it work, I'd be there.

One way to make it less painful for the spouses though, at least I've found from previous experience, is to market it as a Mancation and change the venue. Not that I'm suggesting a different venue - since we all want to be in a Disney destination - but my going on a weekend trip with the guys has never really bothered my DW. She's had her Girlfriends Getaways - so there you go. Don't play it up as a trip to WDW.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 12-29-2011 at 10:59 PM.
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #35
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

I can see a can of worms opening up on this one!! Long weekend sounds great!! Can we set up a hospitality room as well? With cheese balls and jerky?

Chris, you set it up and I will be there!! (just don't tell my wife)

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
carlnix30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #36
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

I am pretty flexible. My family would be with me though, no way I can leave them behind.

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 10/4/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 AM   #37
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

Quote:

Ahhh the greatest and first Group DDC meet on record.Five is still the record for DDC meets 6 if you count the one with Walt!! Could have been more if Ron and Dave showed up for the fire works !!!! they were there just not there lol
I would have to agree with Barry on this Chris we are planning the second super DDC meet.The first is in the books.
I dont want to tell you what to do Chris since you grabbed the bull by the horns.I would suggest that we leave this poll up for a little bit longer then we take the top two months and add them to the top two months from previous poll and do another.Let them four months run for a little bit them drop it down to two months then bingo down to one.
I kind of like the idea of doing a summer month and winter month.Then we could see which one has a better turn out (for future ones).As far as "solo" trip there are no limits this could be a family trip where Dad gets to slip away for a bit,this could be a couples trip where hubby gets to slip away for a bit,or this could be a solo trip where you are free lol.As previously said I would not promote this as a Disney trip that may not go over well with family,promote this as a men's get away. This may help
As far as rooms we will have to see what the numbers look like,but there might be enough of us DVC'ers that we could pool small amounts of points to get a two bedroom villa to kind of use as a place to hang out?? I know some would not use their points for the trip but some may.
The options are limitless,but we are on our way the first step has been taken
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #38
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

I don't want to speak for others, but when I said I want to bring my family with me to WDW, I (and they) would be fine with me leaving to go and do DIS Dad stuff. They just wouldn't be fine staying here in KY. So, I think a weekend is great, but then, I would have 5 more days with my family in WDW.

Now, if we wanted to add a family meet and greet as one of the activities, then that is ok as well.

What are we going to do on this convention? Are we touring the parks (like the Brazillian tourist herds), doing a KTTW tour, drinking in the convention hall, watching PPTs all day ( not a thumb), taking DVC tours, golf, beers around WS in Epcot, marathon (I'll be in the golfcart)? Anyone do marketing?
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #39
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
One way to make it less painful for the spouses though, at least I've found from previous experience, is to market it as a Mancation and change the venue. ...... Don't play it up as a trip to WDW.
Right - Honey, a bunch of us DISDad's are having a get together. Not a WDW trip, but we will be in Orlando.
Ummm, no sweetheart, you can't see the pictures when I return, and please stay off the DISboards.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #40
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
Right - Honey, a bunch of us DISDad's are having a get together. Not a WDW trip, but we will be in Orlando.
Ummm, no sweetheart, you can't see the pictures when I return, and please stay off the DISboards.
My wife is actually very supportive of a mancation. She takes a yearly girls trip with friends from college, so sees nothing wrong with me doing this and in fact fully supports and encourages it! Clearly, I married very well!

And really, would your wife rather you do a guys trip in somewhere like Vegas? Seems to me we could get in a lot less trouble in Disney. We've never talked about it, but I think that part of the reason my wife supports my Disney obssession is that there are much, much worse things to be obssessed with...
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #41
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

For the record, I'd like partial credit for being at the DDC meet of December 2010. I was there, but only got in one brief meet with Ron at Epcot. Not even sure if a photo exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Maybe we need a new thread to vote on this?

It looks like it is early in the voting, but there may be another option.

Pick a June week and a December week (or Jan/July). Keep them 6 months apart. That way, dads with families and kids in school can meet in summer and then dads can meet in Dec, or both. Perhaps DISdads week(s) can become as famous as Jersey week. We just need to pick a week that has not already been taken.
I like this idea. Maybe two standing weeks each year. We could be like the folks in the campgrounds who see each other every year.
Quote:
One way to make it less painful for the spouses though, at least I've found from previous experience, is to market it as a Mancation and change the venue. Not that I'm suggesting a different venue - since we all want to be in a Disney destination - but my going on a weekend trip with the guys has never really bothered my DW. She's had her Girlfriends Getaways - so there you go. Don't play it up as a trip to WDW.
Brilliant. This could really work.
Quote:
My wife is actually very supportive of a mancation. She takes a yearly girls trip with friends from college, so sees nothing wrong with me doing this and in fact fully supports and encourages it! Clearly, I married very well!

And really, would your wife rather you do a guys trip in somewhere like Vegas? Seems to me we could get in a lot less trouble in Disney. We've never talked about it, but I think that part of the reason my wife supports my Disney obssession is that there are much, much worse things to be obssessed with...
Exactly! That's what I keep trying to tell her!!
DIS Dad #400
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
And I was at this one ... solo! I would love to go again. I voted for September - but really, it doesn't matter to me that much. I'm always up for a visit. If I can make it work, I'd be there.

Quote:

My wife is ok with it as well.

She get's 2 weeks vacation a year, and I get 4 weeks.

I was just trying to say - as Christopher said - don't present it as a Disney get away.
I don't think we (at least I) could try to convince her otherwise.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #43
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Here's what I'm thinking of doing -
My understanding is that Disney offers the best group package rates at the slowest times of the year - September, early December, January. I'll touch base with my group sales rep after the first of the year (contacting those folks during the holidays doesn't really do any good - they're not going to get back to me until after the first anyway).

I was thinking of having them quote us rates for Port Orleans-Riverside and Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Here is my rationale - POR can accommodate most of those who would bring their families and are non-DVC folks (especially with the Alligator Bayou rooms that can sleep 5). The rooms are larger than Value rooms, so would be more comfortable for a couple of guys to share (and splitting the cost of a Moderate room would likely be cheaper than being solo in a Value room). My thinking about Wilderness Lodge/AKL is that it would allow three guys to comfortably share a room, in the bunk bed rooms. And splitting those rooms three ways would probably be price competitive with two people sharing a Moderate room. WL and AKL can also accommodate families well, and DVC folks could use points to stay at either resort, which would allow us to all stay together.

If people are interested, I can ask about rates. Once we decide to go forward, I'd have to provide them with a credit card guarantee and a signed contract, after which individual reservations can be made into the block. We can hold our block of rooms until 30 days prior to the group's arrival, at which point we can release all but the minimum of 10 rooms at no penalty. The real key would have having at least 10 rooms booked through us (i.e. not counting DVC bookings). But those 10 could be family bookings (and I believe that the group rates can be extended beyond our event dates for at least some period of time), individuals, or multiple individuals sharing a room.

Thoughts?
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #44
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:

Yes I like the idea of this being called the "first" great DisDads meet! Especially since I was there and most likely wont be able to attend the second one! Who knows though....we really were not planning the Dec 2010 trip until last minute so miracles DO happen!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Just to give folks an idea of the prices we're talking about on a group reservation (and these are just estimates), I ran some numbers. I looked at a long weekend of September 6, 2012 through September 10, 2012 - the weekend AFTER Labor Day weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Undiscounted room-only ratesAnimal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $340/night (shared by 3 people - $113.33/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $360/night (shared by 3 - $120/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $171/night (shared by 2 - $85.50/night)

Guesstimated Discounts - 25% on Deluxe, 20% on Moderate
Animal Kingdom Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $255/night (shared by 3 - $85/night)
Wilderness Lodge Bunk Bed Rooms - $270/night (shared by 3 - $90/night)
Port Orleans-Riverside - $136.80/night (shared by 2 - 68.40/night)

Note that those are ONLY estimates, but I think they're not unreasonable estimates. Tickets would also be available at a discounted rate, and can include little bonuses (commonly, a free water park admission). We'd also have the ability to book a special event, like an Illuminations dessert party.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: