Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Magic, Memories and..... MCSPARKELSONS! A Christmas Grand Gathering! Update 5/1

Yes, we are BACK with yet another trip report!!! This time we brought the WHOLE family and our OWN brand of fireworks!!! I will copy the first couple of posts from the PTR and then begin anew!!!

Seriously? Have we lost our ever lovin minds????

Uh, if you know the McSparklesons, you know that this is indeed the case!

You also know how much we LOVE WDW and DCL. And I'll fill you in on a little secret. Even though she never lived as close as we did to WDW, my sister, Kami, loves that mouse too and tries to get there as much as possible!!!!

So as my parents got tired of hearing Disney This and Disney That from me and my sister, they broke down one time and said, "we really need to try to get there."

See, my parents have not seen WDW since, well, EVER! What they saw was Magic Kingdom in 1981, and one or two things have changed since then.

So Kami and I talked about it, and decided that our parents' 50th Anniversary would be a great time to take them to the Happiest Place on Earth!

While my parents were visiting me in Jacksonville, FL, over Christmas in 2009, Kami told me to go ahead and tell them what we were planning. Even though their anniversary fell in June, none of us wanted to deal with Florida heat in June. And Kami and I had both been to WDW in December before and felt it would perfect in all aspects for our parents - weather AND decor. Mom LOVES decorating for Christmas and I know she will LOVE WDW all lit up!

Our family....

The Original McSparklesons...... Kara and Ally (10)

But we like to bring Daddy (Jeff) too.....

Kami's brood.....

From 2010 Kami and Todd, and their kids Emma (now 13) and Spencer (now 11)

And of course Grandma and Grandpa, cause we wouldn't be here without them.... EWWWWWWW!!!!! Stop the visual!

With the kids the first morning.....

We told them of our plans to take them to WDW for their 50th Anniversary, and we had almost TWO FULL YEARS to wait! And then a few months later, we got transferred from Jacksonville, back to Greenville, SC. So we were losing our proximity to the World. We were all very glad to have this trip to look forward to!

There wasn't much to do at first, except count down the days, and believe me, there were a lot of days to count!!!! So we started tossing around some ideas. I came up with the idea of renting DVC points to bring down the cost of staying in a Deluxe Resort, because I really wanted Gma and Gpa to have the option of going back to the resort during the day to take a break if they want to. And a deluxe resort offers so much more to do, even if it's just grabbing a drink and people watching.

So Kami and I started thinking of resorts that we thought would appeal to our parents. Jeff and I were convinced that they would LOVE AKL. Kami didn't care for it when she stayed there, but it might be my favorite. And I thought Gma and Gpa would be amazed at the idea of an African Savannah right off their balcony!

After we got moved to SC last summer, I got to work. See, I'm a planner. I'm an obsessor. I'm an obsessive planner.

I made a notebook. I instructed Gma and Gpa to thoroughly go through notebook and let us know where they would like to stay. This book had photos and descriptions of every WDW resort, as well as photos and descriptions of every WDW table service restaurant! I included info on dining plan, renting points, etc.

Gpa kept saying, "whatever you decide will be fine."

But I didn't want to decide! Well, I did..... but this was THEIR anniversary gift so I wanted THEM to decide!

They finally came back with......

Boardwalk? I never in a million years would have guessed this, although I'm THRILLED because the Epcot resorts are my favorite location!!!! Jeff and I honeymooned at BWI in 1998 so we love this resort!

I researched and found BWV points to rent that would only cost us $110/night Sunday - Thursday! Yes, you read that right. We will be staying at a deluxe resort for LESS than the cost of a moderate. I am beyond excited!!!! Each family will have their own room. No WAY was I sharing a room with these nuts that I call family!!!! Hey, I grew up in that house, doesn't mean I have to live with them on vacation!

And anyone that has ever traveled with extended family know..... there are bound to be some fireworks! I made this trip in 2008 with my in-laws. Whoo weee! The stories I have from that one!

Sooooo....... Kami and her family left Friday, December 9 bright and early. Jeff, Ally and I left on Saturday bright and early. And Gma and Gpa left at the crack of 2pm on Saturday.....

I can promise you that you will laugh, you will cry, you will throw things at your computer monitor. Stick around, you'll have fun.....

And if you want to read the whole PTR..... McSparklesons bring their OWN Fireworks.... the WHOLE Family!

Up next, the trips to the world.......

Chapter 1: Button Takes us to Florida - Beep Beep!
Chapter 2: The Eagles Have Landed
Chapter 3: Well Isn't That Something?
Chapter 4: THE Poem
Chapter 5: Let the Memorie egin
Chapter 6: We're FINALLY Walking Right Down the Middle of Main St, USA!
Chapter 7: The Joys of Anklebiterland
Chapter 8: You Want My Crust?
Chapter 9: Day One Ditty
Chapter 10: The WRONG Stuff
Chapter 11: San Angel Inn - and 'rita roadies
Chapter 12: This Thing You Call "Typewriter"
Chapter 13: Superstar Servers at Via Napoli
Chapter 14: Come Get Your Gluwein!
Chapter 15: Little Butts (and Grandma!) on the Curb
Chapter 16: I've Never Been a Lion
Chapter 17: Coochi Coochi
Chapter 18: Herbie Issues
Chapter 19: Watch Out for One Eye!
Chapter 20: Going Off the Rails on the Crazy Train
Chapter 21: Work it Girl!
Chapter 22: So Many Pastries, So Little Time
Chapter 23: Elbows off the Table!
Chapter 24: Sad Day...Go Home Day
Chapter 25: Shedding Some Tears......

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!

Last edited by karajeboo; 05-01-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Woo-hoo a new trip report to read!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

I can't speak for Kami and her clan, so I'll leave that to her, but we were up and out the door at EXACTLY 6am on Saturday, Dec 10th for the 7 3/4 hr drive (so said GPS).....

I hate driving so early, when it's still dark out, because we live in a relatively rural area, and the 15 minutes to I-26 is loaded with deer. But because Jeff just bought us a BRAND NEW, well, used, actually, but new to me, car, I wanted to drive first..... Let's just say, that the minute we got on I-26, Jeff set some fancy gizmo on this car that BEEPS loudly whenever I exceed the set speed. He set it for 10 mph over the speed limit and I was BEEPIN the whole drive !!!!

Now Ally and I know how to make a road trip. You go BEFORE you get in the car. You don't drink anything for the first hour or so, then you guzzle BEFORE you know you will be stopping. With our transfers to and from Jacksonville, FL, we would make the 5.75 hr drive all the time and only stop ONCE. Jeff? Not so much.

I knew that Ally and I could make this trip in 7.5 hours with 2 short stops and one a bit longer to fill up (bellies and gas tank). But Jeff likes coffee. LOTS of coffee.....

However, I kept pushing that ETA down down down, as I beep beep beeped down the road!!! Even with Jeff's frequent stops....

The one big stop I knew we would be making was at the outlet mall in St Augustine, about 1 hr, 45 minutes from WDW. Ally needed new Crocs and there is an outlet store there.....

So I managed to drive to just south of Savannah GA, which put us just over halfway..... After a multitude of Jeff stops, and one 15 minute Croc stop, we were in the final lap.....

I could even SMELL the pixie dust!!! And once we hit I-95 south of Jacksonville, I was on autopilot.... after all the trips we made while living in FL, it was time to break in the "new" car......

I believe Kami checked in sometime around noonish?

At about 2:15pm, we saw.....

We did a great job of packing for this trip, by bringing a big rubbermaid bin filled with all our goodies, breakfast and snack foods, plus goodies for gma and gpa's room...... So we didn't have lots of little bags floating around. More like lots of BIG bags and bins!

Jeff took care of the car and the bags with bell service, while I got us checked in....

As I entered the lobby I heard, someone call me name. I turned to see a CM running up behind me (cause it's tough to catch me when I'm checking in - I'm on a mission!). I asked how she knew my name and she informed me that they all pick a "fun" name and then make bets who can catch them. Well, she caught me.....

And Lisa was awesome!!!!

She presented us with a pin that imitated our last name, which Ally proudly wore all week. She helped the CM who was checking us in... and of course that little bit of pixie dust showered down on us.... that room that is closer to the lobby? Yeah, it was all ours!!!!

I went up to the room with Ally, room #4097 and waited for Bell SErvice to bring up our luggage.....

Our view.... this is the "standard" room which did overlook the portico and parking.... but we also saw Illuminations ever night from our BED!!!

Up next.... the McSparklesons begin their vacation.....

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
lshaw6
Mouseketeer

Can't wait for more! Can you see the Crocs outlet from I-95 in St. Augustine? I could swear I saw it as we passed the outlet mall.

1974,1982,1993 offsite
Feb 2007 Caribbean Beach
April 2008 Saratoga Springs
Sept 2008 SOG, Polynesian
April 2009 POR, Yacht Club
Feb 2010 Polynesian
Jan 2011 POP, CSR, Wilderness Lodge
Dec 2011 CBR, CSR, Wilderness Lodge
June 2012 POP, Polynesian
July 2012 Contemporary
Oct 2012 POFQ, POR
Dec 2012 POR
Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Yay! I made it on page 1 this time! So excited you started this - now back to read!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Can't believe I made it on the first day!! Loving the pictures of BW Cant wait to hear more.
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

YIPPEEEEE!!!! SO happy you started!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures. This is going to be good.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

I am here too!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
WannaBeADisMom
WDW...it's my "happy place"....

Yippee!!! Ready for lots of belly laughs!!!Can't wait for another Karajeboo TR!!!

DISmoms Round TWO! Don't Axe, Don't Tell!!;DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits....5/13-5/17/11;
DISmoms 4-The Hunt for Jack Sparrow--Our most recent shenanigans!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
soontobewed07
DIS Veteran

YAY! Love me a McSparklesons report
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Saw your post on FB and thought, "I gotta read this one!" After living in FL, I know keeping the speed within 10 mph of the speed limit is hard to do.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Bring on the report! Love some McSparkleson reporting!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm in! Sounds like a great trip.

Jill in CO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: