Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #961
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Sooo… I have question. Are you planning on introducing a Merida dress for Katie?? I just saw the Disney store dress and I'm interested to know if you are going to make one for Katie or is she over it?

Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #962
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Oh I'll post a pic in my TR, but probably not till after July, I want the first one to be when she is wearing it. it suddenly occurred to me yesterday that I have no idea how I am going to pack the hat? it has to go in a suitcase and it's just going to get squished I guess. All her outfits are going in my Carry On. The airline can loose my luggage I don't care, i'll buy new ones, but loose the costumes and I'll have a heart attack! The hat may have to go in my checked suitcase tho.
I'm not sure what sort of hat you have, but mine is done from one of those sort of fake straw hats and decorated with tulle and flowers. I just put it in the suitcase and mush it down with everhting else. I shape it when I take it out. If it doesn't spring back to life, I steam it with the iron and we're good to go.

I always do worry just a tiny bit about putting all those costumes in my luggage and crossing my fingers that it shows up. So far we've been lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
My goodness Katie's pics are just gorgeous! A question for you, what fabric might you recommend for the boot covers for Mary?
I made the spats (shoe covers) from a stretch white satin. It worked perfectly, although it did take me a while with a lot of trial and error to geg my pattern right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Sooo… I have question. Are you planning on introducing a Merida dress for Katie?? I just saw the Disney store dress and I'm interested to know if you are going to make one for Katie or is she over it?
Funny you should ask...... I just asked Katie about this the other night. We're scaling way back with all of this, but based on her reply, We'll be bringing a Merida costume with us ...... if I can get it figured out. Those sleeves do look challenging though, so don't hold me to it!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #963
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

So I'm getting a little obsessive about this Merida thing now. Shocking, huh?

I thougt her dress was dark, sort of a hunter green. My friend was convinced it was a turquoise. I told her she was absolutely wrong. Then as I started nosing around online, I saw photos of the character at DLR, it really did look more blue than green:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratel...-28159731@N02/

So now I'm really lost. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm just color blind. It's really looking more like turquoise to me now. Here's the one from the Disney store:

http://www.disneystore.com/hero-meri...05535/1007603/
Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #964
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Hi! Lurker here!

If it helps, the barbie sized Merida doll's dress is turquoise. We bought it yesterday.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #965
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Hi! Lurker here!

If it helps, the barbie sized Merida doll's dress is turquoise. We bought it yesterday.
Hey there! No need to lurk!

It really sounds like it needs to be turquoise. Man, I'm gonna have to eat some crow for my friend! it looks like a tough color though. It needs to be a really deep turquoise. I nosed around online and don't see anything yet. I looked in one of the local stores yesterday and came up dry.

If anybody runs across a fabric that looks good, let me know.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #966
shan23877

I've been looking for the fabric myself. I sew (though not nearly as well as you) all of the princess dresses for my DD5. This is the closest I've found online, but I haven't gone into the stores yet. I'm waiting to see if DD likes the movie before making another dress.

http://www.joann.com/april-johnston-...prd_11154333a/
Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #967
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been looking for the fabric myself. I sew (though not nearly as well as you) all of the princess dresses for my DD5. This is the closest I've found online, but I haven't gone into the stores yet. I'm waiting to see if DD likes the movie before making another dress.

http://www.joann.com/april-johnston-...prd_11154333a/
Thank for the link! I actually was considering a dupioni or a shantung, so I'll have to take a look when I'm at Joann's next week. I'm actually hoping I might find something in their home dec dept. I'm more concerned about the look than the feel or content and will look anywhere to find something.

Isn't sewing little princess dresses just the BEST!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #968
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I swear though that the earlier previews of the movie showed it green too. Maybe they changed it? Or maybe she has a couple of dresses.

I want that crazy curly red hair for myself
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #969
shan23877

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thank for the link! I actually was considering a dupioni or a shantung, so I'll have to take a look when I'm at Joann's next week. I'm actually hoping I might find something in their home dec dept. I'm more concerned about the look than the feel or content and will look anywhere to find something.

Isn't sewing little princess dresses just the BEST!
It is fun. Since Maddie's usually just wearing them around the house, we usually go for price and feel rather than authenticity. But, some of those cheap fabrics can be so hard to work with! Good luck!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #970
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I swear though that the earlier previews of the movie showed it green too. Maybe they changed it? Or maybe she has a couple of dresses.

I want that crazy curly red hair for myself
Hen Jen, old buddy, new best friend!

OMG! Isn't that hair TDF?????? If Katie were smaller, I'd TOTALLY buy the wig to go with it, but that's not happening. Still, that hair is awesome. They did a great job on the wig for the park character.

And thanks for validating me. I SWORE it looked green. Maybe it's more green in the movie? Who the heck knows.

Quote:
It is fun. Since Maddie's usually just wearing them around the house, we usually go for price and feel rather than authenticity. But, some of those cheap fabrics can be so hard to work with! Good luck!
Yeah, the cheap fabrics usually don't behave as well. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

I'd LOVE to find something with that subtle gold diamond pattern like the Disney character version. I'm sure I won't find anything like they have around the bottom, but I'd at least like a nice subtle allover effect.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #971
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Quote:
Hen Jen, old buddy, new best friend!
Hey, she's my new bestest friend!

But, I'll share with you!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #972
Yzerbear19
I'm beautifully tragic - Elphaba (Wicked)

Quote:
So I'm getting a little obsessive about this Merida thing now. Shocking, huh?

I thougt her dress was dark, sort of a hunter green. My friend was convinced it was a turquoise. I told her she was absolutely wrong. Then as I started nosing around online, I saw photos of the character at DLR, it really did look more blue than green:
It looks to me to be sort of a dark blue that has a metallic, shiny pattern that looks turquoisey in the light. It definitely looks like a difficult color to match.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #973
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Hey, she's my new bestest friend!

But, I'll share with you!
Well, I suppose if I must share.......

Or we could just split her in half?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerbear19 View Post
It looks to me to be sort of a dark blue that has a metallic, shiny pattern that looks turquoisey in the light. It definitely looks like a difficult color to match.
I think my friend and I decided we need a fact finding mission across town to the Disney store sometime this weekend to see the color they're using on the dolls and in the costumes in person. I'm now calling it more of a teal. That returned closer results on ebay, but certainly nothing perfect.

So...... still looking. But yes, something metallic in it would be grand. Or at least something with some texture, maybe a brocade.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #974
francis6306
DIS Veteran

You *could* do the formal dress… it's a little more clearer on the color…

http://www.disneystore.com/costumes-...05137/1000396/

Good luck finding the right fabric. Either way it is going to be a challenge. This picture (that I just googled) it looks dark blue with green/gold threading…

Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #975
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
You *could* do the formal dress… it's a little more clearer on the color…

http://www.disneystore.com/costumes-...05137/1000396/

Good luck finding the right fabric. Either way it is going to be a challenge. This picture (that I just googled) it looks dark blue with green/gold threading…
I actually love that version, and could match it much more easily, but for this I want to match the park dress as closely as possible. I'll probably end up with a crused velvet if I don't find anything else. It's a royal pain to work with, but it comes in that color, and has some texture to it. I'm not sure if it will hold its shape well enough though to do what I need to do with the sleeves.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: