Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Signing on to remain a somewhat loyal lurker again! I love the dresses you make for your daughter and all the fun character meets you do. Can't wait to follow along!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Glad I found your new trip report. Can't wait to see more pictures from your trip.
Thanks! I'm glade you made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
Signing on to remain a somewhat loyal lurker again! I love the dresses you make for your daughter and all the fun character meets you do. Can't wait to follow along!
No need to lurk. Jump on in, the water's fine! We don't bite....... well, not too hard anyway. I'm glad you spoke up this time!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Can't wait to read more!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKnits View Post
Joining in! Can't wait to read more!
Hi Jessica! Glad you're along for the ride!

Let's kick this trip report off with a little interactive fun.

I added a 32GB memory card to my growing collection before this trip. I do shoot RAW, so many of my files take around 23MB. But I had a bunch of other memory cards too. I didn't bring a computer to dump any files onto, so I needed enough cards to do the trick. In the end, I filled every card, then had to delete some less than stellar shots to make room for our last day at AK. I ended up putting 30 shots here, 50 shots there, 70 shots there. But I got the job done. Whew! Maybe one more 32 GB card next time just for good measure?????

Anyway.......... I started the trip on frame 3413. Anyone want to guess what frame number I ended the trip on?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #20
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

I was glad to see that you started your new TR! Can't wait to hear all about it!

I was pretty good this time about the notes, during the trip I took time each night to write a quick note about what we did, not real detailed but it got the basics down.

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 12-28-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
I was glad to see that you started your new TR! Can't wait to hear all about it!

I was pretty good this time about the notes, during the trip I took time each night to write a quick note about what we did, not real detailed but it got the basics down.
Hi! Glad you found us. I hope to get things under way soon!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #22
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

FINALLY ON OUR WAY!

This trip probably classifies as the one with the most plan/date changes yet! Those of you who followed along on last year's trip report lived through most of the changes right along with me.

First we were going in October. Had the reservation made, ADR's done and I was planning costumes for the Halloween party! (I had great ideas too. I guess there's always next year, right?????) I made those plans in April, 180 days out. I was going to squeeze it in between potential Saturday Cross Country meets for Timmy. But as time went on, and we started thinking more about the logistics of Robbie commuting. I just liked the idea of a fairly new driver having someone at home who could help in the event of an emergency. Once we got the Rockhurst calendar and saw when finals would be done, the plans fell in place. I felt SO much better about the trip knowing Robbie would be done, or nearly done, with finals when we left town.

Through most of the planning, I wasn't sure if my husband Drew was coming. (He loves Disney, but shall we say........ not as intensely as Katie and I do.......) Additionally I knew Kim (my best friend and Disney buddy and mother of Katie's best friend McKenna) and her family were going to Disney the following week and we had kicked around the idea of overlapping a couple days. We had overlapped trips in December 08 and it really was special to be there with friends.

That all left too many unknowns to have a firm plan until fairly late in the game. In the meantime, I watched the Disboards for news of a December discount. And I waited. And I waited. They didn't announce the discounts until the very end of August. Once they did, Drew committed to going for a few days, but had to be home by Tuesday night for work. So we added a couple room only days to the beginning of the trip and our plan took form.

Soon after, Kim committed to flying in on the 15th with McKenna so we could have a couple days in the Magic Kingdom and a night at MVMCP with them.
FINALLY! A plan! I had to wiggle some things around, but it was totally worth it to get to spend time in the Magic Kingdom with girlfriends!

The original plan had been to leave Saturday the 10th. When Drew decided to come, we added 2 nights on ahead of that. We would get to visit each park one day with him concentrating on rides before he left. We would then switch to character mode and do our girly stuff. It really made for a nice balance.

THURSDAY 12/8:

Katie went to school. Since she was already missing 6 days of school, the goal was to have her stay late enough that she wouldn't be counted absent. So she needed to be there until around 2:45. We were on the 5:20 flight, so that should have been enough time. But honestly, the closer we got to that date, the more I wavered on that timeline. We're a solid half hour from the airport. But I travel with a lot of bags (shocking, huh?) and with Drew coming along, we needed time to park and get the shuttle to the terminal.

Since Katie hadn't missed any school yet this fall, I ended up caving and picking her up around 2. What's one more day? She had been on a field trip to see "A Christmas Carol" and probably wouldn't be doing much the rest of the day anyway. We waited around a bit to see if Robbie might make it home before we left, but then I recalled he had to turn in his books after his last exam and would be home later than usual. So off we went.

It had been a long time since we actually parked at the airport. I seemed to recall that the turnoff to the lot was poorly marked, so I turned and crossed my fingers. Thankfully our travel angel was looking over my shoulder and we were in the right place. She kept looking over my shoulder when we pulled down an aisle to park, and the bus was waiting right there for us. No fuss, no muss.

We did curbside check-in and went in search of a bite to eat. I knew they woudln't feed us on the plane, so we'd need to eat enough to get us by until we got to the POP after 10 that night. The security line was longer than I had ever seen at KCI, but we usually fly out on a Saturday morning, and this was on a weekday. While we waited, I took my camera out to play, and lucky Katie pulled out some of the homework her teacher was kind enough to send along!

IMG_3420 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3422 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

The flight took off on time and everything went off without a hitch. I had paid for early check-in on the return trip, but didn't do it for the outbound flight. I figured I would have easy computer access the day before and could easily take care of it. HAH! Around 7:30 that night it dawned on me that I needed to check in and we ended up in the B seating group. When we boarded, the only row of 3 left open was the very back of the plane. Thankfully we got to sit together. I mean, it's not like we were going to be in a hurry getting of in Orlando, right? OK, so maybe we were. But at least we all got to sit together.

IMG_3426 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3434 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3438 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I had hoped to sleep a little on the plane ride. I hadn't been sleeping well leading up to the trip, but hey.... I was on my way to Disney. Sleep would have to wait. We landed early and made our way through the airport.

Katie raced down the stairs while Mom and Dad took the escalator:

What'cha waiting on guys? Come on, we're going to Disney!

IMG_3448 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

It was pretty disappointing to see the Earport closed, but we did quickly grab some of our tradional shots out front before moving along. There was no line for the Magical Express, and we were waved onto the bus that seemed to be just sitting there waiting just for us. It seemed our travel angel was looking out for us again.

IMG_3444 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3447 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_3446 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

We checked into the POP without issue and were on our way to our room. I had made my standard room request, building 5, ground floor, facing the pool. They did honor the request, but the location wasn't as great as I hoped, probably because we were so late checking in. We were in 5110, which is the back building near the Generation Gap bridge. So not quite as close as I had hoped, but still fairly convenient and certainly quiet.

It felt awesome to head back up to the food court and get a bit of food. For dessert, we shared....... my first ever piece of tiep-dye cheesecake! I always thought it was just cheesecake with color swirls, but that layer of cake just MADE it. My first "first" of this trip!

Can you believe I didn't take a single photo at the POP that night? Not even a shot of the tie-dye cheesecake????? Gee, you'd think I was tired or something! Still, everything had gone as smoothly as we could hope. We were off to a great start!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Wait!! I'm here! UGH, I go away for one day......

Kadence was happy to see that Katie posed with the airport Goofy, just like she did!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)

Last edited by Caretames1; 12-29-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

yay! i'm in!

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Wait!! I'm here! UGH, I go away for one day......
Wait....... you knew I was back. And you knew I was going to start a trip report SOMETIME in tne near future.......... and you didn't just sit at home by your computer????????????

Better late than never, right?????
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Wait....... you knew I was back. And you knew I was going to start a trip report SOMETIME in tne near future.......... and you didn't just sit at home by your computer????????????

Better late than never, right?????
Next Christmas, I will just have to pass on the family gathering and wait patiently for a new TR link!

Now that it's over, it might have been a good idea to be here....the night included me fixing some baseboards at my sisters house before her (idiot) hubby saw what one of the nephews did on accident. Good thing he was at work, and I have 5 years of shop classes under my belt!

I edited my first post to include Kadence's comments!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
yay! i'm in!
Glad you made it!

I have.... shall we say..... one or two Drizella pictures to share later on.....
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Next Christmas, I will just have to pass on the family gathering and wait patiently for a new TR link!

Now that it's over, it might have been a good idea to be here....the night included me fixing some baseboards at my sisters house before her (idiot) hubby saw what one of the nephews did on accident. Good thing he was at work, and I have 5 years of shop classes under my belt!

I edited my first post to include Kadence's comments!
LOL! I hear you though. Nice of you to put on your tool belt to save your nephews!

Tell Kadence that if we had missed those photos at the Earport I would have had to turn around and go back! My husband totally didn't get it. Why on Earth were we taking pictures in front of a closed store? I guess I just need to give up hope there.........
Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #29
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Glad you made it!

I have.... shall we say..... one or two Drizella pictures to share later on.....
those are my favorite kind!

i can't wait to hear about your trip and see your pictures. and i'll admit i tried to recreate your Dumbo picture, but my Dumbo didn't cooperate (he went all the way up and would NOT come back down part way). i did get a good image though. i said i HAD to get one before it moved! i also told my kids that if they didn't cooperate and i didn't get the image i wanted, they'd have to stand in line and ride it again! ha!

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #30
DISNEYaddict4evr
Now some person I don't even know reminds me there's no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography allowed in my dream.

What no shot of the cake?

So sad, Jenn was supposed to eat that in our trip in Oct in 10' but since she moved over to the CBR last minute I had to cut that item form our scavenger hunt. I guess since it has cake in it I shall never get to partake in all its glory.

Off to a great start!

can't wait to read more. I wonder when Jenn will start ours? Or if we will even have one? I suppose I have to send her photos for her to start? oops ::hide sin corner::

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: