Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #736
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Quest

Hi Kris and everyone,
It's so nice to be back home with the 20 degree weather. We really lucked out on this cruise with temps in the 80's. Castaway was a bit chilly and windy in the morning but it warmed up nicely for the afternoon.

We went to Magen's Bay by taxi in St. Thomas and were not impressed at all. The beach, which used to be showcased in the top 10, has dropped considerably over the years. The two "ladies" running the beach rentals were the shadiest things on the beach. Poison questioned their method and motive for wanting too much info on a $5 cash deposit. What an operation they have going. We just sat on towels.

Old San Juan, on the other hand was surprisingly beautiful. From the narrow streets to the historic spanish forts this was by far our favorite port on this trip and we will not hesitate visiting again. We hopped on the free tram and toured Castillo San Cristobal on our own for a whopping $6. The sail out that evening gave us some fantastic views and pics of the island.

Also, all three of our at sea days were fairly rough seas, especially at night in the cabin.

We did the Remy and Palo brunches and Palo dinner. Remy wins in our book with Palo brunch a close second. We got a little tired of the dining rotation and toward the end felt a little compelled to be there for our servers who were excellent.

We're not "gold" yet. This was cruise #3. Our fifth will be the Dec. 4th Magic out of Miami, which is the date they wanted to use for the dummy cruise we booked while on board.
JQ, PI, Henlady and all the other original cruisers- miss you guys
JQ we loved San Juan as well. My kids even got a junior ranger badge from Castillo San Cristobal since it is a National Park We wanted to zipline but they were sold out. Probably a good thing the way my knee was feeling.

Sea were rough for us to. Zigzagged down the halls but slept like babies!

We did not feel compelled to go to main dining- certainly didn't have servers that made you feel special. Usually have amazing servers but it made it an easy decision for us to adjust our schedule and eat when we wanted.

Brought a virus of flu level home. I had a fever for four days. Better by Christmas and then day after got food poisoning. Ugh. Made me thankful for my usually good health. Plus my knee reals better than it has in a year from all that rest.

One of the things I made for FE gifts was wristlet keychains made from DCL lanyards. I will post a picture. I am sharing this idea because maybe someone on your cruise would like to make them. It is a great way to reuse something that most people never use. I will post a picture. As a matter of fact when I read that someone say they toss some out I decide to go on a mission. I will take lanyards people don't want and in exchange make them a couple lanyard wristlet keychains. I didn't have enough lanyards to make one per person. So couples had a "fight" about you got it. Lol. So I am hoping to have enough for everyone next cruise

It looks like this is going to be an amazing cruise. I am sorry that we were not able to stay on but we were blessed to be able to do 7 night last month that was a total surprise

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #737
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
JQ we loved San Juan as well. My kids even got a junior ranger badge from Castillo San Cristobal since it is a National Park We wanted to zipline but they were sold out. Probably a good thing the way my knee was feeling.

We did not feel compelled to go to main dining- certainly didn't have servers that made you feel special. Usually have amazing servers but it made it an easy decision for us to adjust our schedule and eat when we wanted.

Brought a virus of flu level home. I had a fever for four days. Better by Christmas and then day after got food poisoning. Ugh. Made me thankful for my usually good health. Plus my knee reals better than it has in a year from all that rest.

One of the things I made for FE gifts was wristlet keychains made from DCL lanyards. I will post a picture. I am sharing this idea because maybe someone on your cruise would like to make them. It is a great way to reuse something that most people never use. I will post a picture. As a matter of fact when I read that someone say they toss some out I decide to go on a mission. I will take lanyards people don't want and in exchange make them a couple lanyard wristlet keychains. I didn't have enough lanyards to make one per person. So couples had a "fight" about you got it. Lol. So I am hoping to have enough for everyone next cruise

It looks like this is going to be an amazing cruise. I am sorry that we were not able to stay on but we were blessed to be able to do 7 night last month that was a total surprise

How did you make these?
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #738
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
How did you make these?
I cut the lanyards into strips (12 inches works nice). I cut 7/8 inch satin ribbon for the back because I think it is nicer against skin than webbing and the lanyards are already strong like webbing. Red looks nice with most designs of lanyards (however I think I did silver on the back of most silver and platinum lanyards). I ironed7/8 inch Heat-n-Bond on back of the ribbon. Peel the paper off and iron ribbon onto the lanyard. Make a loop. I add a glue square or E6000 to secure ends. Clamp the key fob hardware over the ends. Squeeze closed with pliers but protect the metal with an old towel or t-shirt.

You will want to order 1 inch key fob hardware from ebay or amazon.

Super easy! Looks amazing! Now all the unused lanyards find a purpose
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #739
Johnny Quest
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hi Gerber,

Nice to hear from you. Yes, I think San Juan has as much or more to offer than some of the other regular ports of call. Very interesting history with alot to do and see. More for us than just beach and snorkeling.

Walking in the hallway was fun at times, but nothing we couldn't handle. Our servers were good, but going to dining every night got to be a little old for us.

Great idea with how to use the lanyards. I'm sure we have a few for you, we don't like to wear them. We are really looking forward to this cruise with our family and new friends we've made during this whole process.

We are sorry you didn't get to stay on also. Maybe you can make the Dec. 4th Magic from Miami with a stop in Key West. Should be alot of fun. BTW, how did you like the inside stateroom on the 7-night?

Last edited by Johnny Quest; 01-22-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Johnny Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #740
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hi Gerber,

Nice to hear from you. Yes, I think San Juan has as much or more to offer than some of the other regular ports of call. Very interesting history with alot to do and see. More for us than just beach and snorkeling.

Walking in the hallway was fun at times, but nothing we couldn't handle. Our servers were good, but going to dining every night got to be a little old for us.

Great idea with how to use the lanyards. I'm sure we have a few for you, we don't like to wear them. We are really looking forward to this cruise with our family and new friends we've made during this whole process.

We are sorry you didn't get to stay on also. Maybe you can make the Dec. 4th Magic from Miami with a stop in Key West. Should be alot of fun. BTW, how did you like the inside stateroom on the 7-night?
Dec 4th would be magical

It was Really nice having two staterooms but I don't know if we would do inside again especially on a 7 night. The magical port hole was nice but the lack of natural sunlight in the room I think got to us just a tiny bit. I think if you are on the claustrophobic side or tend to like fresh air circulating- it probably isn't the best choice. Plus it seemed germs had nowhere to go by the end of the cruise. Lol. The stateroom attendants took turns with sick days and others filling in the whole week. Hmmmm...wonder why we all came home sick. We will probably go back to verandah rooms but willing to try a porthole with real sunlight

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #741
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
I cut the lanyards into strips (12 inches works nice). I cut 7/8 inch satin ribbon for the back because I think it is nicer against skin than webbing and the lanyards are already strong like webbing. Red looks nice with most designs of lanyards (however I think I did silver on the back of most silver and platinum lanyards). I ironed7/8 inch Heat-n-Bond on back of the ribbon. Peel the paper off and iron ribbon onto the lanyard. Make a loop. I add a glue square or E6000 to secure ends. Clamp the key fob hardware over the ends. Squeeze closed with pliers but protect the metal with an old towel or t-shirt.

You will want to order 1 inch key fob hardware from ebay or amazon.

Super easy! Looks amazing! Now all the unused lanyards find a purpose
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #742
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Gerberdaisy,
Hi, so good to hear from you. Glad you got to do the 7 day, too bad about the rough seas. My brother was on a 4-night Dream right before Christmas (their first cruise ever) and he commented on how rough the seas were and it was too windy to dock at Castaway.
Happy to hear your knee is doing better - I also have knee problems and know how you feel. I'm currently debating on wether to get cortizon again, or go back for the synvisc injections.

LOVE the wrist bands made from the lanyards. Very clever. I may try that with a couple of ours.

Keep in touch.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #743
Johnny Quest
DIS Veteran

WDW Transfers

Hi everyone,

Happy Limo will provide one-way transport from WDW to the port for our group via a 39 passenger bus which includes up to 4 pick up points for $12.64/person + tip. (we can go larger if we need to and contract for a return transfer to WDW as well)

Payment is due via cash at pick-up.

1st stop would be AKV Jambo (my resort of course!)

Any additional pick-ups beyond 4 will cost $25.00/each (or add $.64 per passenger) provided they are within a 5 mile radius of the AKV.

I will use this thread to keep a roster if we get enough interest.
Please either PM me or post on our thread to be included.

thanks
Jim

Last edited by Johnny Quest; 01-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #744
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Happy Limo will provide one-way transport from WDW to the port for our group via a 39 passenger bus which includes up to 4 pick up points for $12.64/person + tip. (we can go larger if we need to and contract for a return transfer to WDW as well)

Any additional pick-ups beyond 4 will cost $25.00/each (or add $.64 per passenger) provided they are within a 5 mile radius of the AKV.

thanks
Jim
Tentatively interested. We were definitely looking into one way transport that would get us there earlier than DCL. We most likely will be at OKW.

What time were you thinking for pickups? With a bus I'm guessing there won't be any luggage space issues. That was a concern with other group arrangements. We will have at least 3 suitcases for 2 people.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #745
Johnny Quest
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
Tentatively interested. We were definitely looking into one way transport that would get us there earlier than DCL. We most likely will be at OKW.

What time were you thinking for pickups? With a bus I'm guessing there won't be any luggage space issues. That was a concern with other group arrangements. We will have at least 3 suitcases for 2 people.
honeymo,
I don't think there will be any luggage problems, which is why we chose it. The bus has full under floor storage just like the large transports and will handle a minimum of 39 large + 39 medium pieces. We are looking at a 10:45am arrival at the port which is the earliest Happy Limo would consider. Hopefully with 4 different pick up points we can accomodate everyone. Also, this bus will not have a bathroom. To charter one equipped with a bathroom would require added fees for cleaning and disposal.

How was the Jan member's cruise???

Last edited by Johnny Quest; 01-22-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #746
Dreamer7787
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Quest View Post
Hi everyone,

thanks
Jim
Adam and I would also be interested. We're at the Poly.
Dreamer7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #747
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:

honeymo,
I don't think there will be any luggage problems, which is why we chose it. The bus has full under floor storage just like the large transports and will handle a minimum of 39 large + 39 medium pieces. We are looking at a 10:45am arrival at the port which is the earliest Happy Limo would consider. Hopefully with 4 different pick up points we can accomodate everyone. Also, this bus will not have a bathroom. To charter one equipped with a bathroom would require added fees for cleaning and disposal.

How was the Jan member's cruise???
We are definitely interested (2 adults) at OKW.

We enjoyed the jan cruise but thought it was way too short. So little time to relax plus go to the special events. We wouldn't do a 3 night member cruise again. Hopefully the extra day will make a difference.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #748
Johnny Quest
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer7787 View Post
Adam and I would also be interested. We're at the Poly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
We are definitely interested (2 adults) at OKW.
Great! We're on our way! I've started a sign up sheet on page one and added you both to it. You can view it by clicking on the link in my signature. We are already up to 10 passengers and I might need 5 more seats.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #749
Johnny Quest
DIS Veteran

I have contracted a 39 passenger bus charter for round trip transportation between WDW and Port Canaveral with the Happy Limo Company. As of today, 3/31/13 outbound to the port is sold out and return bus to WDW has 4 seats remaining.

39 Passenger Bus
Bathroom on board
There are seatbelts, so child seats can be utilized.
Luggage stowed underneath - minimum 39 large and 39 medium bags
Scheduled to arrive at Port Canaveral around 10:15 am on Embarkation Day
Scheduled to leave Port Canaveral around 8:30 am on Debarkation Day

Please use link in my signature to view schedules and pricing on the cruise meet front page.

Here are some photos:

Exterior (ours is the shorter of the two)

Interior

let me know if you are interested.

Jim

Last edited by Johnny Quest; 07-14-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #750
DisneyBelle99
DIS Veteran

We are considering flipping around our plans, and coming to BLT first, then go on the cruise. There is a 100 year celebration of our Parish that we will miss if we cruise first. I am confused about why people are not using the Disney transportation to the ship? How much earlier can you get there? Ty.
DisneyBelle99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: