Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOURME View Post
We just got back from 3 nighs on the Dream and we did not have passports. We had no problems.. Some on this site may suggest differently. We used certified birth certificates instead. When we supplied them at our check in they just took a picture of us all together. I assume that if you had a passport they skipped that step.
Good to know! We didn't even think twice about it because we already had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
I'm enjoying your TR so far, and I had to tell you that I think your daughter's name is beautiful! (Good spelling choice! )
Thank you - I spelled it like Eileen without the N in hopes that people would know how to pronounce it...but that didn't work! Mostly people call her Ellie when they say it out loud at the doctor's office and such. Thanks for joining in!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Our Room!!

After riding on the Aquaduck we were wet and ready to get into our rooms! We’d already located our room on the ship a bit earlier so we knew exactly where to go and I happen to think that it was in a great spot and I’ll tell you all about it! When we’d originally booked the cruise I decided to go with a travel agent because I knew nothing about cruises. I’m a travel-aholic but I’d never done a cruise and I knew I needed help. She asked if I tend to get motion sickness and the answer to that is a big YES!! She said that some people say that if you get motion sickness you might want to try a lower level near the middle so this is exactly what I chose to do. I was on deck two midship and I chose an oceanview rather than a magic porthole room. It turns out that I loved this room.

The first thing I noticed was the porthole!

To the left was the couch (that turned into a bed) and the bed.

To the right was a desk & chair, a mirror and the TV. You can see that there is a wave phone holder and a wave phone charger on the desk. The orange did not come with the room!

Unfortunately I realize that I didn’t take nearly enough photos on this trip (also some of them are stuck in my camera which is currently having some issues). To the left of the entrance was a door for the toilet and sink. And then another door for the bathtub/shower and another sink. This was very handy when we were both trying to get ready! I was in room 2538 which was only one level down from the main atrium area where you enter the ship, as well as guest services, the staircase, the Royal Palace, shopping and Animator’s Palate. It was incredibly convenient to walk up the stairs to any of these things! It was also convenient to take the elevator up to the top as sometimes the elevators get quite crowded so if you get in at the bottom then it was pretty easy to get a spot when it made several stops and filled up on the way up! It wasn’t so convenient to the pools, tween club and Aquaduck but we never really had an issue. The only issue that we had was that when it was busy on the upper decks and we wanted to go back to the room you couldn’t just walk down a flight of stairs or two. We had to wait for the elevators which were crowded sometimes but again, this was barely an issue.

This room was perfect for the two of us and it was a nice price too! There was also a Murphy bed that folded down from the ceiling and after we came back from dinner on the first night, the stateroom host had folded it down and it was all set up! Eilee chose to sleep up there and she loved it and she loved star covered “sky” above the bed. Eilee also loved the porthole! There was a time or two when she’d get in there, pull the curtain and read or take a little snooze. Weird kiddo, I know!

My travel agent also said that people tend to like deck two because it’s easy to get off the ship when in port or when you’re disembarking. We found both to be true. It couldn’t have been easier! She also looked at a deck plan for the dream to see what was above us so that it wouldn’t be noisy and we found that Guest Services was above us and I’d like to think that people aren’t yelling or stomping around Guest Services but I’m sure it happens occasionally! I did see a woman that seemed to be very rude at Guest Services one time because she wanted a comment card on the spot. They tried to tell her that she’d be provided with one that very day in her stateroom but she made a big scene. They offered to have someone speak to her about it but she demanded the comment card then and there. Sorry, I digress…our room was very quiet and we loved it. I would have no problem recommending a room here!

Next up…Sail Away Party and dining!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #33
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in! It looks like you had so much fun. My DS saw your DD sitting in the window and said he must have that window! Kids, I tell ya.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #34
Tinker74
I had goosebumps with the opening credits
i must admit i raised my eyebrow only slightly at HASH

Hi...Iam joining in. ....I will be cruising the dream next August with my 12 yr old dd so Iam very curious to hear about the edge?

Did they have much supervision?...I have heard about some activities that take them all over the ship..is this with a counsellor in tow or by themselves?

As my dd won't be with a friend or sibling I really dont want her wandering around by herself...but I really want her to enjoy the edge club.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #35
cschnell
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all the wonderful information about your room! I shared it with my DH and DD and we are all even more excited about our trip. My biggest concern was about our room location. I'm glad I no longer need to be concerned about it.
cschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #36
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I'm joining in! It looks like you had so much fun. My DS saw your DD sitting in the window and said he must have that window! Kids, I tell ya.
Glad to have you! The porthole was great and fun to look out early in the morning. We could see when it was getting light out and also see when we were slowing down and pulling into port. Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker74 View Post
Hi...Iam joining in. ....I will be cruising the dream next August with my 12 yr old dd so Iam very curious to hear about the edge?

Did they have much supervision?...I have heard about some activities that take them all over the ship..is this with a counsellor in tow or by themselves?

As my dd won't be with a friend or sibling I really dont want her wandering around by herself...but I really want her to enjoy the edge club.
I don't have my Navigator handy right now but I'll be sure to post about the activities there! I only remember one time when they all left The Edge together and it was for the fireworks. I only know that because I was standing on the deck and my daughter said "Hi Mom! I'm having fun!" as she passed by me with a group of kids and a counselor. My DD had a friend on the ship but I know that she would have had a fantastic time even without her friend. She loved the counselors too. They had some organized activities on Castaway Cay too. My DD and friend were the only two to show up for one of them but she felt very special because she got to eat lunch alone with the counselors and she talks about that all the time. I'll try to post more in the trip report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschnell View Post
Thank you for all the wonderful information about your room! I shared it with my DH and DD and we are all even more excited about our trip. My biggest concern was about our room location. I'm glad I no longer need to be concerned about it.
Don't be concerned at all! I'm glad I could help because I too was worried about being on deck 2. I kept thinking that I should upgrade but we really enjoyed it! There were so many times that we went to a shop or made a quick stop at guest services and it was so convenient to just be bop up one set of stairs.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Joining in on the fun!!
Love the pictures of the room expecially. I really loved our midship rooms on the Wonder(oceanview) Deck 2 I think. and on the Saphire balcony room deck 6, I am wondering how I will do in Dcember when we are deck 9 aft. I have motion problems and hope it is not a problem as we have a corner room(big verandah ) and handicappe room so we shall see,

I have a question. How did the wave phones work? Did you use them much?

How far away from yor were your friends? How did that work>

thanks in advance for the info.
Lee
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #38
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Sail away & Dinner!

After we dropped our things in the room we went to Cabana's to grab a bite to eat. For some reason I wasn't very hungry so I had some random stuff. We explored the ship some more and then back to the room until it was time for the lifeboat drill. Our designated station was on deck 4 out on the walking/running track area. So we went there, found our letter "L" and got checked in. Luckily everyone from our group was there and it went smoothly. After the drill was over everyone piled towars the door and this was by far the longest wait of the trip. It took forever to get out of there for some reason. And then of course everyone wanted to go to the sail away party which was at 4:30 so trying to take the elevator up to deck 11 was a real pain but I think it would have been a pain on any elevator.

The girls were itching to get to The Edge so they took their wave phones and off they went. I went over to the side of the stage while I was waiting for Holly to text me and I watched the party for a while!

I met up with Holly and we went up to deck 12 where I met up with one of these babies!!

This, my friends, is a Pina Colava - yes, lava. It is a pina colada with either strawberry or raspberry puree (I didn't care which!). I think I stirred this up a little bit because I remember them being a little bit more defined in the glass. The servers just walk around with trays of these and it was quick and easy to have them put it right on your key to the world card!

After the party Holly and I went up to top so we could watch as we sailed away. It was so fun to see how many people come out to watch the Dream sail away. I kind of have an airplane obesession and I could sit at the airport and watch planes land for hours so these people must love the Dream. They had fold up chairs and such and they all waved at us and we waved back at them. I loved hearing the horn sound too!

Then we went to our rooms and met the girls. And we found this!

I think that I was pretty lenient with the girls and we let them go back and forth to The Edge as long as they stayed together and promptly answered texts on the wave phone. My only big rule was that Eilee meet me for dinner every night "and don't be late!". And she always complied. The restaurant on the first night was at the Royal Palace. We met our serving team of I Made(server), Joy (assistant) and Vladimir (head server). They were all amazing. On the first night they asked what we would like to drink and if you follow my dining review you'd know that I LOVE coke! So I had a coke and Eilee asked if she could please have a kiddie cocktail. Joy asked if she liked cherries and Eilee said yes so Joy brought her a small container of them! And every night after that Joy had a kiddie cocktail and cherries waiting for her. And I had coke waiting for me of course.

I didn't take photos of anyone else's food but mine but I can tell you that if they had steak on the menu, Eilee ordered it. On the first night I wasn't super hungry because we ate a late lunch and I had that pina colava yet I managed to eat
A spinach cheese souffle as an appetizer and it was sooooo good! Eilee tried a bite and she wished that she'd ordered it as well.

I was going to ask for a souffle for her but then her main dish came out. My main dish was a Caesar Salad. It was very good with tender chicken.

Dinner was lovely and before we even got to dessert the girls wanted to go to The Edge. So they told our servers that they would not like dessert and that they were leaving. And off they went! But I ordered the dessert trio! If I remember correctly, it was mango cheesecake, vanilla creme brulee and peanut butter chocolate mousse.

After dinner I went back to the room for a bit before the show and I ran into our stateroom host Jorge in the hall. He said "You must be Tracy!" - wow, impressive/creepy that he knew my name! He introduced himself and showed me a few things about the room. When you go into the room you must put your key to the world card or some card with a magnetic strip into the slot right inside the door in order to keep the lights on while you are inside. He showed me that you could take your door hanger thing (the one that says "privacy" and stick the edge of that into the slot instead!). He was incredibly nice, just what you'd expect from Disney service.

Then I went to the spa to book a pedicure for Eilee the following day as we had no excursions for Nassau. And I decided to book a massage for myself too!

The show that night was Golden Mickeys and I thought it was great. Holly had a headache and the girls were at The Edge so I went by myself. The cruise director was Clayton and he came out just prior to the show and he was great. And then Captain came out and he was wonderful too. Do you sense a theme here?

The premiere of Beauty and the Beast was that exact night and they were showing it at 12:01 am in the theater. I was going to try to see this but I ended up getting tired and just wanted to relax in the room. Eilee was having a blast and she met lots of new friends The Edge. The Edge closed at 1 am and I told her to be back to the room right after that and she was back at about 1:03. I'll enjoy this time now because when she's a teen I'm sure it won't be so easy!

Up next - day 2, Nassau!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #39
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
Joining in on the fun!!
Love the pictures of the room expecially. I really loved our midship rooms on the Wonder(oceanview) Deck 2 I think. and on the Saphire balcony room deck 6, I am wondering how I will do in Dcember when we are deck 9 aft. I have motion problems and hope it is not a problem as we have a corner room(big verandah ) and handicappe room so we shall see,

I have a question. How did the wave phones work? Did you use them much?

How far away from yor were your friends? How did that work>

thanks in advance for the info.
Lee
Welcome!! We used the wave phones quite a bit. Each stateroom comes with two of them so we all had one. We mostly used them to text one another because for some reason every time Eilee tried to call me on my phone she couldn't hear me. I could hear her just fine but she couldn't hear me. We would mostly text to find out where the other person was so we could meet up. One time she wanted a smoothie and texted to ask if she could have one. Oh yes, our other rule was that she could have charging privileges but she must ask before every purchase! Anyway, I was really glad that they have the wave phones as they make it really easy to communicate on the ship. Also, we were in room 2538 and our friends were in 2019. So they were on the opposite side and down a ways but it worked out just fine. And we could text each other on the wave phones if we needed to!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #40
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

The food sounds amazing! That's one thing I'm really looking forward to
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #41
Wish I lived in Fl
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your report!

I was surprised how good the food was on the Magic because reviews are mediocre but I was usually very happy and got to try new things.
Wish I lived in Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #42
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Nassau Day!

Ok, the title of this is Nassau Day but we really spent very little time in Nassau. There weren't really any excursions that thrilled us so we decided to just take it easy that day and enjoy everything the ship had to offer with only a short trip off of the ship. Holly and Leah had always planned to head into Nassau for the whole day so it was just the two of us! I was originally going to order room service for the two of us but when I looked at the menu it was mostly pastries and fruit. And we wanted a giant breakfast darnit! So we went to Cabanas for breakfast and had a little of everything. At 10 am Eilee had an appointment at the teen spa for a pedicure. I realize it is a "teen" spa and Eilee is 12 but I just went up and made an appointment the day before - they didn't ask and I didn't tell! She loved it!! She was in there for quite a while and she came out with pink toes with purple Mickeys painted on them. So cute! After that we got some ice cream and then decided to head into Nassau. It was later in the morning so there wasn't a line or anything to get off of the ship. But two other ships pulled in right after us so the port was pretty busy. I took these pictures as we got off. You never realize just how big the ship is until you're standing next to it.

We grabbed a map off of the visitor's desk right inside the terminal and walked to the straw market. Eilee got a bunch of cheap souvenirs for her friends and I am not someone that likes to haggle. I'm sure I got ripped off but the items were still pretty cheap and they probably need the money more than I do. We walked around a little bit and then back to the ship! I said it was a short trip into Nassau, right? Somewhere between the straw market and our room I'd lost $40 and Eilee lost two necklaces that she'd purchased. That is a bummer. We went back to the ship and decided to go see Beauty and the Beast 3D which was playing in the Buena Vista Theater. I sure do love that movie, it never gets old and somehow seeing it while on a Disney cruise makes it even better!! Eilee and I grabbed some chicken nuggets and fries for lunch (we felt like Holly & Leah!) right after the movie.

And then my friends...it was time for my martini tasting! Eilee was tired and decided to chill out in the room while I did that. When I left she said "Don't drink too many martinis mom!". As if!! I'd registered the day before and the ticket said that it was at The Meridian. I set off to find it and I was so confused! I could not figure out how on earth to get there. I stopped to ask a cast member and he was dragging me all over the ship! He then stopped to ask someone else who said that we needed to go down a level, go back, then go up the stairs. I understood her perfectly and this guy still wanted to take me in the wrong direction. So finally I told him, "I think it's this way" and he followed me to The Meridian. At least next time he'll know! I was a little bit late but our host, Sukhsan (I'm sure I butchered that!) was just getting started. There were about 10 people belly up to the bar and he he started out telling us about the history and different types of martinis.

This is a classic right here!

He ended up making 5 different kinds and I think he slipped in an extra at the end. Sukhsan makes the best drinks!!

Eilee told me not to drink too many martinis but I think I did anyway!

It was well worth the $15 fee. I went back to the room to find Eilee out cold. She was napping so I decided to turn on the tv and relax as well. I don't know whether it was the martinis or not, but after Eilee woke up we went and booked another cruise!!!! When you book onboard you get 10% off the price, only have to put down a 10% deposit and you get a nice onboard credit. Who could resist that?? Not me! The fellow at the desk asked if we were sure of the date or if we were definitely going to change. I said that we would change it so he booked us on the cheapest sailing in December 2103. I'm happy to say that we just moved the reservation to the 7 night Mediterranean cruise in August!! My sister has decided to come along with us and I'm super excited!

When we were walking around a little later we ran into Sukhsan!! Here is me with him. He's so nice!

Pretty soon it was time for dinner. We didn't see Holly & Leah at all this day so we just planned to meet up at dinner. Tonight we were eating at Animator's Palate and this was my favorite restaurant of all. It was colorful and fun and entertaining! Turtle talk with Crush was so cute and it was fun to watch all of the animals swimming by on all of the screens around the restaurant. I think my favorite was Bruce! Again, the service was excellent. Tonight I did not order an appetizer but I had the beef filet with mashed potatoes and look at those thinly sliced carrots. How do they do that?

For dessert I had the chocolate wanut cake which was really yummy!

Eilee had the same thing and Holly & Leah ordered off the children's menu again and went with....chicken strips! Surprise, surprise!

After dinner I went back to the room and found this guy!

I'm not sure what it is but it's so funny! He looks kind of rasta to me. And those are Eilee's glasses by the way. Eilee loved it too! We also found the pirate party gear in the room as well which was a pirate print bandana.

The girls had ditched us right after dessert so Holly and I went to see Villains Tonight. I wasn't all that impressed with it to tell you the truth. I didn't think it was as good as the Golden Mickeys. But it was still fun! And after that it was pirate party time!

Then came the fireworks which I have no photos of. But they were really good! And then came the dance party. They played some really good current music and I was surprised to see how many little ones stayed up and were out there cutting a rug! I don't dance but it was fun to watch! At one point Eilee ran by with a group of kids and a counselor from The Edge. She said hi, said she was having run and ran off!
Here is a photo of everyone dancing!

After watching the dance party for a while I decided to head back to the room as I was a little bit tired. Eilee also came home a little before 1 am on this night. What a busy day for not even heading into Nassau for very long!

And one thing to mention about this day - we realized that we were not leaving Nassau on time. The gift shops do not open until we leave port and we wanted to shop. We went to the shops after dinner and they still weren't open! That means we hadn't left let. At Villains Tonight Clayton the cruise director mentioned that we hadn't left yet (and that was at 8:30) due to a passenger's medical emergency and he said that his heart went out to that passenger's family. That didn't sound good at all.

Next up Castaway Cay day.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #43
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Love the relaxing, yet busy day. Yay for booking another cruise too. I can't believe with all that great food your friends get nuggets every day. Nuggets are Ok, but I would grow tired of them fast.

I didn't care much for Villains either.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #44
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
The food sounds amazing! That's one thing I'm really looking forward to
I love the food too! I was on a diet for a long time before the cruise so I could put it all back on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish I lived in Fl View Post
Enjoying your report!

I was surprised how good the food was on the Magic because reviews are mediocre but I was usually very happy and got to try new things.
I'm usually not that hard to please so I thought the food was excellent. I'm looking forward to another cruise to do the same! If you ask my daughter she'll tell you that the best food there was the free ice cream available almost any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Love the relaxing, yet busy day. Yay for booking another cruise too. I can't believe with all that great food your friends get nuggets every day. Nuggets are Ok, but I would grow tired of them fast.

I didn't care much for Villains either.
At least it's a FUN kind of busy, right? And I completley agree that chicken nuggets would get old after a while. It reminds me of that story on Yahoo about the 17 year old that's never eaten fruits or vegetables, only chicken nuggets!
I also have to tell you that I'm a big fan of your reports too Jen and Claire is adorable!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #45
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Hi....Where is the sausage?

Quick question....you were in Animators Palate on Pirates night...right? Did this effect the restaurants regular show and did Crush still come out and talk with guests?

Thanks ahead of time...I'm on the Dream for the NYE cruise in 2013.

Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: