Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Following! I am sailing for the first time ever in Feb (3 weeks!!!!), and I am anxious/excited about the cruise
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
DISNEYFOURME
Mouseketeer

we were on the Dream on the 12th as well.. waiting to read what you thought. We totally enjoyed our cruise!! Wish we were there this weekend as the Chicagoland area is under a lot of snow!
DISNEYFOURME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Boarding the Dream!

It was the morning of our cruise!!! I tend to wake up early so I got up, showered and got ready before I woke up the rest of the crew. Holly & Leah had ordered a pizza the night before so they would have something for breakfast so while they ate their pizza, Eilee and I went downstairs to the “kids eat free” breakfast buffet at TGIFridays. I don’t take photos of buffet food plates because I don’t think they look all that good but it had all of the regular breakfast foods!

Our same shuttle driver was coming to pick us up at 10 am and it takes about an hour to get from Holiday Inn at Universal to the port. He was right on time and we arrived at about 11 am on the nose! As we were driving in we could see the Dream and it made my heart skip a beat. And here is a photo of the Dream before we went into the terminal. Isn’t she beautiful?

When we arrived, we checked all of our bags with the porter at the curb to be delivered to the room and that included our suitcases as well as our carry on bags and the only thing that I kept out was my purse and the folder full of our travel info from the travel agent. We then walked into the terminal where we were told to fill out the health forms before we could check in. It only took a few minutes to fill out the form and we got in line to wait for an agent to check us in. This only took a few minutes and the line moved quickly. Holly and Leah went to an agent and then I got the next available agent. I went up and we presented our signed forms and then the agent asked for our passports. And guess what…? I’d left our passports in the carry on bag that we checked at the curb!! We had no way of knowing where that bag was now and my heart sank. Luckily our travel agent had made copies of our passports to put in our travel folder and I pulled that out. The agent made some calls to make sure they were valid and that all of the info matched up. Thank goodness they were willing to do that because it was all my fault for not thinking of that. And thank goodness for my travel agent making copies!

The agent gave us a boarding card with our boarding number on it and I was psyched to see that we were boarding number 4!! Just then Holly & Leah came over and asked what our boarding number was and we said #4 and Holly was upset that they were #30. The agent said that your boarding number depends on when you did the online check-in. I checked in on the very day the online check in opened up for us and then I texted Holly to do the same but she never did. Holly told the gate agent that they were traveling with us so they should get #4 too but the agent said that it wasn’t her decision.

At that point it was probably about 11:20 am and we went out the doors of the waiting area to go outside to check out the Dream some more. Here is a photo from that area.

We were out there for about 5 minutes and when we came back inside they were already boarding group #1! At about 11:30 am they called boarding number 4 so we told Holly & Leah to text us when they were in and we’d meet up with them. I couldn’t believe that everything went so quickly, from the time we got to the terminal to the time we were boarding, because I’d wanted to take more pictures of the boarding process! We went inside and the line to take photos was taking forever. I knew that we wouldn’t purchase any photos nor would my DD and I take any photos with characters so we asked if we could skip it. They said that this was the photo that they use for face recognition to categorize all of our other photos taken during the cruise but we said that was ok and we didn’t regret that decision because we never got our photos taken for the rest of the trip. Ok, only once at dinner but we wouldn’t have bought that anyway! DD is 12 and in Middle School so she thinks she's too cool for photos with characters.

So we walked towards the ship and while we’d thought of all kinds of names to use when we were “presented” on the ship, we just blurted out our real last name! So they announced our names and we walked onto the ship. It was amazing! I don’t think Eilee had ever really seen photos of the Dream prior to this and she was blown away. A CM approached us to tell us about lunch at Cabanas but we were going to wait for Holly & Leah. So we felt a little out of sorts at this point and didn’t really know where to go or what to do. So we decided to find our room (even though we couldn’t get in until 1:30). We found our room and placed the magnet on the door (I’d ordered it off of ebay because I’m not crafty enough to make my own!).

Then we went up top to check out the pools and the Aquaduck. Here is DD then!

And this is what deck 11 looked like when we got there!

We’d worn our suits under our clothes so we could ride the Aquaduck between the time we got there and the time that our rooms were open but again, we didn’t want to go without Holly & Leah! So we’d read on the Navigator that they had an open house at The Edge (the tween club) so we decided to go and check that out. It was supposed to open at noon but no one was there right then and there were about 10 – 15 people in line as well so we chatted with the others and then Holly & Leah texted about 12:15 to let us know that they were coming on board now so we told them where to go to meet us at The Edge. And just as they got there the counselors arrived to let us in. I can’t believe I didn’t get any photos of that! It was pretty cool with computers and various rooms with games and such. DD ended up loving this place and loved the counselors.

We’d heard that the earlier you get on the Aquaduck, the shorter the line and we found this to be true. As soon as we were done at The Edge we went to give it a shot! We just left our stuff on one chair (it still wasn’t super busy on decks 11 & 12 at this point) and got in line. There was a line at the bottom of the steps and the CM that was attending this line would open the rope and let people up. Basically she let us right up, we climbed the stairs and we got right on! You could easily ride several times with no line. Also, several times during the ride water pours into the raft so just know that you will get fairly wet!

By this time it was time to get into the rooms.

To be continued...
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Joining in !! We sail in April and I can't wait !! Looking forward to reading more of your trip to see what I can learn, and to of course see your photos :-) And your sausage .... LOL
I definitely had a lot to learn when it came to cruising so I hope that I can help you out a little bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
Following! I am sailing for the first time ever in Feb (3 weeks!!!!), and I am anxious/excited about the cruise
You will have so much fun!! We were first time cruisers as well and I learned a lot by reading reports here on the DIS. I learned lots of great tips that I never would have known about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I'm joining in. Great start! I really want to visit Harry Potter some day too.
Thanks so much! We really loved Harry Potter. We brushed up and watched all of the movies in the weeks before we went there so we could appreciate it a little bit more. Let's face it, we are big HP geeks and we know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOURME View Post
we were on the Dream on the 12th as well.. waiting to read what you thought. We totally enjoyed our cruise!! Wish we were there this weekend as the Chicagoland area is under a lot of snow!
We really enjoyed it as well. The weather wasn't hot but it wasn't cold (sometimes a little bit chilly but nothing like the weather at home!! ) so we loved it. We don't have a ton of snow right now but it sure has been cold since we got back!!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Love the Aquaduck, but that water that shoots behind you is so cold!
I'll have to remmber that about online checkin. We are going to be traveling with 6 families total (including us) and I am their travel agent, so I'll try to be sure we all do online check in fairly early. When I sailed the Dream last Spring, online check in didn't make a difference to your boarding number, but I hear it has changed now.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great start - Eilee looks really pretty and too grown up

WWOHP looks fantastic and enjoying your cruise so far but friends who only eat pizza and chicken nuggets = waste at disney. I would have eaten so much better :
Waiting for more................

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
cschnell
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=Tracerr00;43804982][FONT="Arial Black"]/Ship_1st_glimpse.JPG[/img]
So we decided to find our room (even though we couldn’t get in until 1:30). We found our room and placed the magnet on the door (I’d ordered it off of ebay because I’m not crafty enough to make my own!).

I am taking my first Cruise on the Dream in March, we will be in room 2536, right next door to your room - I am interested in hearing about the room, view, location, and ease of getting to ship activities from here. Thanks.
cschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
dawne98
DIS Veteran

passports?
Do you really need one for a 3 day on the Dream?
DL as a kid to many times to say
WDW when Epcot 1st open and 2000-2006 each year
WDW 2010,2011,2012
Sept 2011 one night at Vero Beach with a weekend at AKV with a night at MNSSHP
1st Disney cruise on the Dream in May 2012
WDW 1st weekend in Feb 2013
WDW DD's and mom time June 2013
Disney Vero Beach July 2014
dawne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

The Sausage Is Back!!

I followed the travels of the sausage from the dining reviews so I'm delighted that it's managed to find it's way onto a cruise
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Love the Aquaduck, but that water that shoots behind you is so cold!
I'll have to remmber that about online checkin. We are going to be traveling with 6 families total (including us) and I am their travel agent, so I'll try to be sure we all do online check in fairly early. When I sailed the Dream last Spring, online check in didn't make a difference to your boarding number, but I hear it has changed now.
I can't say for sure that the CMs apply this rule for everyone but that's what it was according to the CM that we got. I'm going to let our TA know about that little tidbit too just in case! Whether or not it's true I'm going to make sure to check in online as soon as I can in the future. And yes, the Aquaduck water is really cold when you're not expecting it to come rushing in from behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
great start - Eilee looks really pretty and too grown up

WWOHP looks fantastic and enjoying your cruise so far but friends who only eat pizza and chicken nuggets = waste at disney. I would have eaten so much better :
Waiting for more................
Yes, it was a waste when I'm the one that paid for the dining plan for all of us as a gift! I hadn't really spent a lot of time with them so I didn't know. Oh well, at least they graciously ate with us and enjoyed the most expensive chicken nuggets around! LOL!

[QUOTE=cschnell;43811985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
[FONT="Arial Black"]/Ship_1st_glimpse.JPG[/img]
So we decided to find our room (even though we couldn’t get in until 1:30). We found our room and placed the magnet on the door (I’d ordered it off of ebay because I’m not crafty enough to make my own!).

I am taking my first Cruise on the Dream in March, we will be in room 2536, right next door to your room - I am interested in hearing about the room, view, location, and ease of getting to ship activities from here. Thanks.
My next post includes photos of our room. I have to say that our room was in such a convenient spot! On maps it looks like it is right next to the stairs and elevators (which it is) but it's connected by a short curvy hallway so that keeps out any noise. And our room was right on the other side of the curvy hallway so we didn't have to walk a long way at all once you got off of the stairs/elevator. I couldn't have asked for a better location on deck 2! You will love it! I'll write more about the room in the next post so stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawne98 View Post
passports?
Yes! We did need a passport. We couldn't check in online without our passport information so I'm assuming that you do. And our travel agent asked for them at one point too. We already had them so it wasn't a big deal for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
I followed the travels of the sausage from the dining reviews so I'm delighted that it's managed to find it's way onto a cruise
Linda!! So glad to see you over here!! The sausage and I are honored to have you along for the ride!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
You will have so much fun!! We were first time cruisers as well and I learned a lot by reading reports here on the DIS. I learned lots of great tips that I never would have known about!
Thanks! I am really looking forward to it (although...I'm already afraid that 4 nights is not going to be long enough! ). Also, I've learned so much from the cruise forum here at the DIS, as well as TRs.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
DISNEYFOURME
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawne98 View Post
passports?
We just got back from 3 nighs on the Dream and we did not have passports. We had no problems.. Some on this site may suggest differently. We used certified birth certificates instead. When we supplied them at our check in they just took a picture of us all together. I assume that if you had a passport they skipped that step.
DISNEYFOURME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #30
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

I'm enjoying your TR so far, and I had to tell you that I think your daughter's name is beautiful! (Good spelling choice! )

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: