Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #1306
feezle
Mouseketeer

The wife and I have decided we need to cut WAY back on restaurants. We were going out to eat 2-3 times a week...not counting drive-tru runs. Enough is enough. We are going to Disney the last week in August and we decided last week that we were giving ourselves $100 for restaurants between now and our trip. If we can cut back to that amount, we will have around $500 extra for our vacation.

This thread has been a big help! Last night was spaghetti pie and we are busy figuring out what we want to try next. I figure by next week we should be able to plan out a whole menu. Baby steps.

Jul '96-Off Prop| Aug '04-Off Prop| Sept '06-SSR | May '08-POP| Sept '10-POR| Nov '11-POP | Aug '12-POP/Off Prop| OCT '14-Off Prop
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #1307
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Dinner tonight will be one of the big giant pizzas from Aldi before we head to the Nashville Sounds baseball game and fireworks show!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #1308
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Tonight is Portillo's Italian Beef Sandwiches with Fries. It is mom's birthday so I ordered from Taste of Chicago and had them shipped. Should be a good night!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #1309
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Tonight is Portillo's Italian Beef Sandwiches with Fries. It is mom's birthday so I ordered from Taste of Chicago and had them shipped. Should be a good night!
You win the prize for best daughter EVER!!! Your mom is a blessed woman.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #1310
charming23
DIS Veteran

Tonight we are having sirloin steaks with baked sweet potatoes and sauteed zucchini.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1311
feezle
Mouseketeer

Roast in the crock pot tonight.

Jul '96-Off Prop| Aug '04-Off Prop| Sept '06-SSR | May '08-POP| Sept '10-POR| Nov '11-POP | Aug '12-POP/Off Prop| OCT '14-Off Prop
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #1312
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

I have been struggling to come up with ideas lately. No clue why as I have hundreds of recipes, but nothing sounds good. Oh well, here is the menu for next week:

Monday: Crab Cakes, Shrimp Cocktail, and Salad

Tuesday: Reubens and Onion Rings

Wednesday: Grilled Teriyaki Shrimp Kebabs, Vegetable Kebabs, and Rice

Thursday: Baked Ziti with Spinach and Salad

Friday: Caprese Grilled Chicken with Balsamic Reduction, Corn on the Cob, and Salad

Saturday: Pepper Steak and Rice

Sunday: Glazed Salmon with Broccoli Rice

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #1314
feezle
Mouseketeer

Last night was Texas Toast Pizzas and Mac & Cheese.

Tonight is bacon sandwiches and baked fries.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #1315
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I'm back! Been crazy around our parts!

Tonight we went out for Chinese

Sat-chicken lettuce wraps (this was supposed to be tonight's dinner but the mushrooms on the bottom of the package were rotten...yuck!)

Sun-Spaghetti

Mon-Tacos

Tues-Crockpot beef stroganoff and noodles

Wed-ham and cheese omlets

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #1316
charming23
DIS Veteran

Last night we had chinese chicken rice salad and tonight we did leftovers.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #1317
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

What I did was get a dry erase calendar, and made a weekly menu. Then I started 2 weeks down and made the same menu, just mixed up the order. For one month we did not go out to eat at all. (Which kind of sucked.) When I shopped for the first week's meals I bought double (except the fresh stuff.) That way hardly anything had to be bought at the end. The second month I didn't do quite so good (lots of birthdays.) This week we had

Sun -Hamburger meat tacos
Monday -Crockpot beans & rice
Tues- Papa John's Pizza (I had a 1/2 off promo code, too good to pass up)
Wed - Sloppy Joes
Thurs -chicken & mushroom crockpot meal
Fri -Hamburger helper, steamed brocolli

Not as many veggies as I would like, I need to find ways to incorporate them more. Also, we don't normally have so much hamburger, but I had a buy one get one free coupon so I wanted to use that.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #1318
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Tonight we had falafel with spinach, diced red peppers and hummus in pita, with sauteed mushrooms, garlic and spinach as a side dish (we were trying to use up some spinach that was getting pretty wilted). Then we made frozen banana soft-serve for dessert (just frozen bananas in the food processor with a little vanilla and chocolate shavings).

Yesterday we had steamed broccoli, tempeh bacon and baked sweet potato balls with onion and spinach. They were supposed to have curry powder in them and I didn't have any, so they were a bit bland and we added some ketchup when we ate them.

The day before we had homemade whole wheat pizza dough (made in my bread machine) topped with green pepper slices, tomato slices, onions, two kinds of mushrooms, spinach leaves, basil leaves, and vegan "cheese." Steamed broccoli on the side. For dessert, I combined blueberries and raspberries with some chocolate chips, a little sugar and some lemon zest in a pie plate, topped with sliced almonds, and baked in the oven. It's amazingly delicious.

We are planning to go on a new "no processed foods" diet starting Monday. So no vegan cheese, no bread, etc. Basically, everything has to be home-made. You are supposed to eat two pounds of vegetables daily on this diet, too. We do normally eat a fair bit of vegetables and fruits but this will be stepping it up a notch. Hoping it will help me lose some weight. I'll try to report on what we're eating.

TP
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #1319
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Today's temp is going to be around 111, so I think something for dinner, will include not heating up the house and not heavy, so my menu is out the window...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #1320
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit0863 View Post
What I did was get a dry erase calendar, and made a weekly menu. Then I started 2 weeks down and made the same menu, just mixed up the order. For one month we did not go out to eat at all. (Which kind of sucked.) When I shopped for the first week's meals I bought double (except the fresh stuff.) That way hardly anything had to be bought at the end. The second month I didn't do quite so good (lots of birthdays.) This week we had

Sun -Hamburger meat tacos
Monday -Crockpot beans & rice
Tues- Papa John's Pizza (I had a 1/2 off promo code, too good to pass up)
Wed - Sloppy Joes
Thurs -chicken & mushroom crockpot meal
Fri -Hamburger helper, steamed brocolli

Not as many veggies as I would like, I need to find ways to incorporate them more. Also, we don't normally have so much hamburger, but I had a buy one get one free coupon so I wanted to use that.
An easy way to get a few more veggies in is to add a can of diced tomatoes to your sloppy joes & taco meat. It stretches the meat as well so you get more servings.

I've only got about $25 for this coming weeks grocery budget so I'll be pulling stuff out of the freezer & pantry. I'm thinking fish tacos & I'll crockpot cook a whole chicken. My kids are eating out a few nights as well on planned activities so at least that will mean less to cook.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: