Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #466
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Hello everyone, happy Monday (we were supposed to get some snow and it didn't come so happy for me!)

I can't believe I can say I have a pretty easy week Hockey wise - practice Mon/WEd/FRi and game Sat! and our practice times are decent - 3:50 pm vs. 9:10pm!

This week is ::

Sunday - homemade baked beans and rolls with hot dogs
Monday - meatloaf, alfredo noodles, herb & butter rice and green beans
Tuesday - teriyaki chicken in the crockpot, white & fried rice, green beans
Wednesday - Chocolate chip and blueberry pancakes with bacon and Fruit
Thursday - Turkey cutlets in gravy cooked in the crockpot, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, leftover rolls from sunday.
Friday - Shepards Pie
Saturday - order out Pizza before Hockey
Super Bowl Sunday -- baked ham dinner for Lunch and super bowl snacks for dinner

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #467
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsweetP View Post
It sounds like you've used this service before. I've looked into it but have
never taken the plunge. Can you tell me how you like it and are the meals/recipes tasty? How does it work for your family and is it cost effective?

Thanks!

I love e-mealz! The recipes are simple, easy and tasty. My family loves them too, and are equally excited that we are doing it again. I am on the ALDI family plan. There is always enough food for DH and I to take leftovers for lunches the next day. It is definitely cost effective. The meals for the week are designed around the specials, sales and promotions the grocer has that week. I cannot say enough good stuff about it...

Tonight:

Grilled Chicken Breasts
Roasted Potatoes
Sautee'd Zucchini
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #468
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

This week's meals are:

Mon/30 Mustard Roasted Salmon, Roasted Asparagus, Salad
Wed/1 (Class) Leftovers of some sort (Pot Roast or Pasta)
Fri/3 Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken, Rice
Sat/4 Meatloaf, Green Beans, Salad
Sun/6 Grilled Chicken Salad

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #469
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

I have been inspired by you guys so much. I dont post often but read often. I am not going to Disney this year as we are trying to see family up north this year and that is our vacation. It was my idea and I am thankful to be able to do so. But hotels are costly and I am recently a stay at home mom for a while so money on eating out is not in the budget like it used to be. (We used to eat out 3 days a week) Now we eat out but it is more pizza and cheaper stuff.

So since I am not going to have any Disney Magic in 2012 I am trying to create my own. I am making Meatloaf from the recipe at 50's Prime Time. Never made meatloaf never ate meatloaf but I had all the ingredients in the house except the ground pork so I think it is a win. Keep up the great work guys!!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #470
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Welcome, Doodlebug939! I'd like the recipe for the meatloaf when you get a chance.

Tonight we're having meatball subs. They were just prepared Italian meatballs with tomato sauce added. I also added a cup of steamed and pureed veggies into the mix. Just for a veggie boost. They've been in the crock pot all day. We'll have sweet potato fries with that and broccoli slaw.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #471
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

Me too, Doodlebug would love the recipe!

Today I made a big pot of chicken soup. Kids wanted two bowls

Tues - meatballs or meatloaf
Wed - cheesy chicken spaghetti
Thurs - leftover meatballs
Fri - homemade pizza or pepperoni rolls
Sat - might make a turkey dinner (have one in the freezer from DH' work at Thanksgiving)
Sun - not sure yet
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #472
njsweetP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
I love e-mealz! The recipes are simple, easy and tasty. My family loves them too, and are equally excited that we are doing it again. I am on the ALDI family plan. There is always enough food for DH and I to take leftovers for lunches the next day. It is definitely cost effective. The meals for the week are designed around the specials, sales and promotions the grocer has that week. I cannot say enough good stuff about it...

Tonight:

Grilled Chicken Breasts
Roasted Potatoes
Sautee'd Zucchini
Great! Did you sign up for the year? Signing up for the year is the cheapest per month, but don't know if I'd want to commit for that long.

1985 First ever trip to WDW!! WDW 1992 WDW 1995 WDW 1996 WDW 1998 WDW 2001
WDW 2004 WDW 2006 WDW 2009 WDW June 2010 WDW June 2011
Just added - Disneyland June 2014Just added - WDW January 2015 -DD's runDisney!
All trips offsite.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #473
Long tressses
Mouseketeer

Home made waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment3258 View Post
Today we went food shopping and had a budget of 160$ for 4 adults and two kids
I spent 156$ but that included my dh birthday dinner of a 47$ prime rib. Not too bad.

Tonight will be home made Mac and cheese with broccoli.

Tomorrow morning I am making waffles from scratch with my new waffle iron
I thought I was a dying breed making my own waffles from scratch. I inherited a waffle iron a few years ago and have been making them ever since. Do you have a special recipe you use?
Joanne

Future DCL:Wonder Panama Canal, May 1, 2015

DCL: Fantasy Mar 2013
WDW: Mar 2013
WDW: Mar 2011,
DL: Mar 1997
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #474
charming23
DIS Veteran

Tonight we are having chicken and orzo soup with crescent rolls
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #475
denise5374
Dares to say CRUISE out loud
Don't go back to lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long tressses View Post
I thought I was a dying breed making my own waffles from scratch. I inherited a waffle iron a few years ago and have been making them ever since. Do you have a special recipe you use?
Joanne
I just started making my own pancakes and waffles from scratch. It took e a while to find a recipe that we liked, finally found a pancake recipe still looking for a good waffle recipe, anyone care to share?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #476
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise5374 View Post
I just started making my own pancakes and waffles from scratch. It took e a while to find a recipe that we liked, finally found a pancake recipe still looking for a good waffle recipe, anyone care to share?
My kids love this one- it's light though so if you like a dense waffle this isn't the one for you.

From Allrecipes!
Waffles II
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs, separated
Directions

Preheat waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, oil and egg yolks until mixture is smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden; serve hot.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #477
denise5374
Dares to say CRUISE out loud
Don't go back to lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
My kids love this one- it's light though so if you like a dense waffle this isn't the one for you.

From Allrecipes!
Waffles II
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs, separated
Directions

Preheat waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, oil and egg yolks until mixture is smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden; serve hot.
Thanks, Will try this one. I have never given much thought as to whether we like fluffy waffles or dense ones....hmmm. I used to use Aunt Jemima mix (the one you add oil, eggs and milk to)

Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #478
xbatman
Mouseketeer

Location: Nittany Lion country, but then again, isn't everywhere Nittany Lion country?

It was a good week at the grocery store - came in quite a bit under budget.

Mon Soup & sandwich night (swimming)
Tues Rosemary apricot pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, green veg from freezer
Wed Cinnamon French toast, bacon, strawberries
Thurs Italian style Salisbury steak, buttered noodles, fresh made applesauce
Fri Joe Corbi pizzas (from fundraiser at DD's school)
Sat Stacked chicken cordon bleu (new), baked potatoes, veg
Sun Superbowl at my DSis - we're taking pulled turkey, potato salad and peanut blossoms (nobody wants a bigger dessert after all the other junk); she'll supply the appetizer items, drinks, etc.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #479
lattemomof3
DIS Veteran

Last night was baked chicken, potato casserole from the freezers & mixed veggies, tonight is French toast, scrambled eggs & clementine's.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #480
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug939 View Post

So since I am not going to have any Disney Magic in 2012 I am trying to create my own. I am making Meatloaf from the recipe at 50's Prime Time. Never made meatloaf never ate meatloaf but I had all the ingredients in the house except the ground pork so I think it is a win. Keep up the great work guys!!
We love that Meatloaf recipe!!! I make it at home (using all ground beef instead of some beef, some pork) and my hubby and kids like it too. It is definitely a way to keep the Disney magic alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsweetP View Post
Great! Did you sign up for the year? Signing up for the year is the cheapest per month, but don't know if I'd want to commit for that long.
I did sign up for the year, but I knew we liked it so the choice was easy. Maybe you could sign up for 3 months as a trial run, then sign for a year if you like it? I would encourage you to give it a try, we have loved it. The only reason I let the subscription expire in the first place was that we decided to eat on a BARE BONES BUDGET to pocket some extra $ for our trip coming up. Now trip is all paid for with spending cash ready to go, so it's back to E-mealz and we couldn't be more excited!

Dinner tonight:
Creme Brulee Breakfast Casserole
Hot Cinnamon Apples
Biscuits with Butter and Honey
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: