Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #1906
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by girli565 View Post
I've made orzo a lot. It's amazing in cold salads with vinegarette. So yum! I'm allergic to shrimp so even though it looks amazing I can't eat it nor prepare it for my family lol. They eat shrimp out a lot.
I understand the allergy thing. I have a mild reaction to shrimp with some itching but not enough to keep me from eating them. I can get rid of it with Benedryl. Lobster however did me in about 20 years ago. My body swelled, my eyes swelled shut, I was covered in hives, and couldn't breathe. That one I am not trying again.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #1907
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
Lily~ how is your mom doing? Been thinking about you two. I know there is a long road ahead for both of you, just know you have folks praying for you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner tonight:

Homemade Sweet and Sour Pork
Steamed Rice
Oven Roasted Asparagus
How do you roast your asparagus, if I can ask? We use steaming bags, I'd like to wean off of that though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
She's doing a lot better. Since she has been home she has been eating more and getting her strength. Being in the hospital really drained her so hopefully we can keep her out of there. She will do round 2 of the chemo in a couple of weeks so that will be a huge test for us both. I really do appreciate the thoughts and prayers. They help me stay strong and to keep pushing on when things seem bleak.

I will post my menu for next week soon. I have it done, but not here at the computer atm.
Hope she's doing better. Chemo is a beast to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming23 View Post
Well we spent the day at the hospital again with my Grandma. They admitted her to do some further testing. So my uncle treated to Bob Evans for dinner.
:\ Hope the tests come out well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsweetP View Post
LilyWDW and charming23 - keeping you both in my prayers.

Tonight we are having homemade tomato soup (Ina Garten's recipe) and grilled cheese sammies.
ah! I'm not a huge tomato soup fan... happyherbivore.com has one that looks good though - it has spag squash noodles in it too! I'm thinking its like a healthy spaghetti os!

Anyone here eat quinoa much? There are a few recipes I like it in... but it's hard to get used to.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #1908
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I'm not who was asked, but we always roast asparagus. Put it in a 400 degree oven for maybe 20 minutes (can't even remember since I don't use a recipe). I drizzle mine with some flavored oil from Wegmans first and some salt and pepper.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #1909
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c
I'm not who was asked, but we always roast asparagus. Put it in a 400 degree oven for maybe 20 minutes (can't even remember since I don't use a recipe). I drizzle mine with some flavored oil from Wegmans first and some salt and pepper.
Yum. Sounds great!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #1910
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post
Yum. Sounds great!
Tacky - quoting myself, but I didn't want you to miss my edit - I used to make this basting oil myself from a Wegmans recipe, now Wegmans sells it in a bottle, but here is the recipe - it is really good on so many things - we have been buying this for years, even stocking up when we lived away from a store (don't mind the Wegmans brand names):
1/2 cup Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
1 large clove Food You Feel Good About Peeled Garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped

Mix together and use! It's very good for dipping crusty bread into also.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #1911
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming23 View Post
Thanks. They did some testing today and a good family friend went to be with her so my mom and I could get some rest.
Friends and family are how I survived mom's hospital stay. It is really hard when it is just you. Hopefully her stay will be short and she will be home soon!

Quote:
Hope she's doing better. Chemo is a beast to deal with.
It is hard to deal with. She had a few days of food aversion and a metallic taste. Then she had some issues with her sodium levels being too low. Otherwise she did really well! The doctors were happy she did as well as she did since she was so weak.

Quote:
How do you roast your asparagus, if I can ask? We use steaming bags, I'd like to wean off of that though...
A little olive oil and salt (sometimes garlic) and on a baking sheet. I don't do a "normal" temp but base it off of whatever else I might have in the oven. If it is just the asparagus, then I usually do 400 degrees and keep an eye on it.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #1912
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yum. Sounds great!
Another good one, but probably not as healthy, Roast as stated in the oven, and we pour a mixture of balsamic vinegar, butter and brown sugar over them. YUM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #1913
queenofthehive
DIS Veteran

Menu Plan- Week of Oct 19th

I did not make a couple dinners from last week (too many leftovers..) so I am pushing them to this week.
Friday - Taco soup with corn bread
Saturday - Grilled chicken salad
Sunday - Low country boil
Monday - Burritos with mexican rice and salad
Tuesday - Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Wed - Chicken casserole with broccoli
Thursday - Pizza
Friday - Fall festival at son's school - grab something for dinner there.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #1914
t_daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthehive
I did not make a couple dinners from last week (too many leftovers..) so I am pushing them to this week.
Friday - Taco soup with corn bread
Saturday - Grilled chicken salad
Sunday - Low country boil
Monday - Burritos with mexican rice and salad
Tuesday - Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Wed - Chicken casserole with broccoli
Thursday - Pizza
Friday - Fall festival at son's school - grab something for dinner there.
Taco soup! Yummy. I have only tried this once. Lost the recipe.....maybe its in my FB messages...
Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #1915
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

All of the roasted asparagus ideas answered the question for me. I do different things every time...lemon pepper, olive oil, garlic, savory spices, butter...those are the things I throw in depending on what is on hand and what my tastebuds are in the mood for. Stick in a 400 degree oven..YUM!

Dinner tonight:
Cheese Ravioli with Marinara
Steamed Broccoli
Garlic Toast

This week's menu is "on the cheap". DH will be out of town for four days midweek, so with just the kids and I we will keep it simple.

Saturday: Creating a Cracker Barrel "country dinner plate"
Seared Pork Chops
Hashbrown Casserole
Fried Apples (MIL gave us some from a local orchard)
Biscuits with Butter and Homemade Jellies (from grandmas)

Sunday:
Porcupine Meatballs
Mashed Potatoes
Southern Style Green Beans

Meatless Monday:
Black Bean Soup
Cheddar Corn Muffins

Tuesday:
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie (DH doesn't like it, so we ALWAYS have it when he is gone )
Salad

Wednesday:
Vegetable Soup
Crackers

Thursday:
Fried Eggs
Bacon
Grits
Toast

Friday:
Leftover Veg Soup (over rice optional)

*anyone else have good ideas for recycling veg soup? Do share!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #1916
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

Yesterday we had parmesean chicken fingers, homemade fries and salad. I made up a homemade version of shake and bake and added 1/3 cup shredded parmesean cheese. DH made dinner and added more parmesean cheese to the mix (didn't listen when I told him it was already done) so they were a bit TOO cheesy for my taste but he loved them and brought the leftovers today for his lunch. He also burned the homemade fries so he didn't have any and I had to pick through them for some that weren't too bad. Overall, not the best meal we've ever had.

I also tried a skinnytaste recipe for weight watchers brownies that turned out REALLY well. My kids loved them and they're fussy about "diet" food. I also made homemade nacho cheese sauce. We bought the nachos and had these snacks while we played Scrabble together. There's still plenty of the cheese sauce left so we'll save some for the rest of the chips and some we will use on our broccoli when we have our turkey dinner this weekend. YUM!!

Tonight we are having loaded baked potatoes (a new crockpot recipe) and the rest of the salad. We still have brownies, chips and cheese AND Tuesday's peanut butter cookies left so I'm going to have to abort my plan to make chocolate covered strawberries tonight.

Tomorrow I'll be making pumpkin tarts and butter tarts to go with our late Thanksgiving dinner.

I discovered that our local grocery store marks down the meat by 30% the day before it's best before date, so there's usually LOTS to choose from on Thursdays. I'm going to try and take advantage of this starting in November. I want to see if I can save even more money than I already am by eating at home so much these days!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #1917
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Tonight is White Chicken Chili with a Cornbread Crust. One of my favorite fall/winter meals.

Here is what is left for this week and then into next week:

Saturday: Fish Sticks (Grilled Tilapia for me), Carrots, and Rice Pilaf

Sunday: Skinny Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Monday: Soup and Grilled Cheese

Tuesday: Chicken Taco Salad

Wednesday: Beef Stew in the Crock Pot and Cheese Bread

Thursday: Leftovers

Friday: Country Style Ribs, Scalloped Potatoes, and Corn

Saturday: Peanut Chicken Stir Fry, Rice, and Broccoli

Sunday: Oven Fried Ranch Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese, and Green Beans

Monday: Spaghetti, Chicken Sausage, and Garlic Bread

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #1918
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

Here's our plan for the next 10 days or so:

Sunday - crockpot chicken noodles with mixed veggies

Monday - Ham and cheese sliders, baked beans

Tuesday - Breakfast burritos, hash towns

Wednesday - Dance night, quick dinner out

Thursday - Sloppy joes, Mac & cheese

Friday - Last football game. I will be meeting DH and the younger kids at the game so we'll all grab dinner on our own.

Saturday - Crispy chicken tacos

Sunday - Halloween parade at MILs. We have a potluck.

Monday - Spaghetti and garlic toast

Tuesday - Leftovers or fend for yourself

Wednesday - Dance night, quick dinner out

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #1919
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Friday was my DD's birthday. We had a homemade cake, Little Caesars pizza, and I took she and two of her friends to Chuck E. Cheeses and got about a hundred tokens for $20.00. Then that night I made chicken flautas with Spanish rice. I will have to post that one.

Yesterday it was going to be Mexican again. I got some beef carnitas from the grocery store. I ended up adding onion and green pepper and making beef sandwiches on Italian bread. I used my frozen French onion soup to dip the sandwiches in. The package was big enough I could divide it into 3rds.

Today I am making canned apple pie filling. I plan on making an apple pie tonight for dessert. Dinner is going to be a store bought rotissire chicken, squash and potatoes. http://tinkmomfoodie-foodobsession.b...e-filling.html

Monday and Tuesdays I have school 1-8. I am making chicken pot pie with the leftover chicken so my DH can throw it in the oven.
Tuesday: meatloaf muffins and mashed potatoes.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk

Last edited by tinkmom2; 10-21-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1920
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Last night we had bacon ranch chicken in the crock pot over rice. We didn't think it was very good! Way too salty. I am going to add a lot of fresh vegetables to try to resurrect the leftovers. Maybe tomatoes.

On Tuesday and Wednesday nights we usually eat left leftovers or something quick from the freezer.

Tonight: taco salads

Monday: pork chops (not sure yet how I will make these - any ideas??), crock pot applesauce, green beans

Tuesday: grilled cheese and tomato soup (evening activities)

Wednesday: leftovers/quick dinner (evening activities)

Thursday: homemade pizza

Florida residents!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: