Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Use of Keane song in new Winnie the Pooh trailer

I don't know if this song will be in the movie, too, or if it's just in the trailer, but every time I see/hear the commercial, I'm a little perplexed.

I do love that Keane song, but it just doesn't seem to 'fit' for me. I could almost understand if they were trying to capitalize on some current song, but that song has got to be at least 5 years old.

What are your thoughts?
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
mousterpiece
Mouseketeer

I absolutely agree! I like the song a lot, but the way that trailer was presented, with that song, I immediately went to my freaked-out mode: "Is one of them going to die or something?" I know that's nuts, but that song's a little more emotional than I expect from Winnie the Pooh. Still, it did get my attention, which is probably what they want.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
DjChaos7
Earning My Ears

While I can understand your views on it, I think you're taking the use of the song in it's entirety a little too literally instead of just looking at the portion of the song which the trailer utilizes. They ultimately only utilized the music with no vocals, and the chorus of the song. Now when you take it for only that, it fits rather well, because in one way the music can come off as a bit emotional/whimsical, and when using only the chorus and seeing that the vocalist is talking about going somewhere only 'we' know, it's more so alluding to the fact that the Pooh characters are Christopher Robin's and the Hundred Acre Woods is in fact THE somewhere only they know. That's my take on the use of the song, which I always thought was under appreciated back when it was released anyways, so I actually like it in this trailer.
DjChaos7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
HitchPryde
Earning My Ears

I think they were just trying to capitalize on all of the adults that remembered Toy Story when they were kids and went out to see TS3.. The commercials with the Keane song are meant to lure in the twentysomethings
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I totally disagree. I think the song fits perfectly. I love the song though and we used it in our last vacation video we put together. The song talks about the simple things and the movie is essence going back to hand drawn animation, back to a simpler time. We saw the movie on Friday and loved it. What happened to these movies?

"Somewhere Only We Know"

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete
Oh simple thing where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?

And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
So why don't we go
So why don't we go

So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know

This could be the end of everything,
So why don't we go,
Somewhere only we know,
Somewhere only we know,
Somewhere only we know.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Lightbulb

Honestly, the answer as to why this particular song is used in the "Winnie the Pooh" trailer is, IMHO, much, much simpler. It's because Disney took note of how many adults were openly weeping after watching this other trailer for a movie based off a different well-loved old book about a kid running around in the woods with furry creatures. (Really, as soon as I saw the first "Pooh" trailer, this was the first thing I thought of. Not knocking it, both trailers are terrific.)
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Thank goodness soemone posted this. I thought I could find it on the Soundtrack but now I know where to get it....awesome...adding it to my collection. I am 40 something and thought it was very nostalgic and it made me really tune in to the Trailer.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
gillcrist32
Earning My Ears

Sorry but i haven't listen this song yet.....
gillcrist32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
LudwigVonDrake
Hello dere!

One word: hipsters. Having seen the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it, I think Winnie the Pooh has an adult appeal unlike any other movie out there. A large part of it is nostalgic: Winnie the Pooh is sweet and gentle and completely unconcerned with the weighty issues of the modern world. It's something hipsters (and other adults) really like. It's why they shop at vintage clothing stores or play old board games in independent coffee shops. It's cool to be retro, carefree and twee, and I think Disney was trying (quite rightly) to tap into that market through the choice of the Keane song in the trailer, and hipster sweetheart Zooey Deschanel on the soundtrack. I don't think it's paid off in box office receipts, but I think that once the movie goes to video and gets in the hands of the intended audience it'll be a cult favourite.

Trip Reports: Proposing at the World

1982: Off-site / 1989: Off-site / 1994: Dolphin / 1996: DLR / 1999: Off-site / 2008: WL / 2009: DLP / 2010: DCL Magic / 2011: AKL / 2011: DCL Dream
LudwigVonDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the song choice in the trailer IMMEDIATELY made me think of Blaine singing it to Kurt on Glee... and wondering what the H was going to be going on in the Hundred Acre Woods.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

I was extremely confused- I know it was to aim it towards a younger crowd, but maybe it would have done better if they had used an original score? The "older" crowd loved TS3 because it brought back memories of their childhood and made them feel like they were young again. It's a GREAT song, but certainly doesn't bring out my inner child... Kind of makes me feel like my inner child ran away and isn't coming back
Old 09-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
SallySkelington
I had enough decency to turn my head and spew root beer all over my sister next to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrake View Post
One word: hipsters. Having seen the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it, I think Winnie the Pooh has an adult appeal unlike any other movie out there. A large part of it is nostalgic: Winnie the Pooh is sweet and gentle and completely unconcerned with the weighty issues of the modern world. It's something hipsters (and other adults) really like. It's why they shop at vintage clothing stores or play old board games in independent coffee shops. It's cool to be retro, carefree and twee, and I think Disney was trying (quite rightly) to tap into that market through the choice of the Keane song in the trailer, and hipster sweetheart Zooey Deschanel on the soundtrack. I don't think it's paid off in box office receipts, but I think that once the movie goes to video and gets in the hands of the intended audience it'll be a cult favourite.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking, my brain just couldn't put it so eloquently.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
st4rrab0vemybed
Mouseketeer

The trailer made me weepy. Between the emotional song, and my fond childhood memories of Winnie The Pooh, I found myself teary eyed every time.
st4rrab0vemybed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
superme80
DIS Veteran

My 2 year old is obsessed with watching the trailer. Now that song makesme cry! Every time I see him watching it I think of how short and innocent childhood is.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
smitch425
DIS Veteran

LOVE that song!!!

That song was popular when DS was born in Nov. '04. I nursed him and in the middle of the night I would always watch the top 20 countdown so I could stay awake. That song and "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5 are kinda "our songs". He is more familiar with Sunday Morning because I have had that cd forever, but the first time I saw the trailer for WTP, I cried and had to explain to him why. It's such a great song. Love it!
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: