Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #751
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
I'm another one who was up at 7:00am on Saturday to get my long run in. I do my weekday runs on the treadmill and only the long ones outside.

I have another question about training programs. I've been following Jeff's, but have been reading others tonight and they seem to have more days running. How do you know how many days to train? I got my time down to 15 min mile when I was training for the Royal Family 5k, but ended up running nonstop (no photos) at 13:40/mile which I wasn't really prepared for. (we just kept going and going) For the ToT, I plan to stop for the photos, so I know I need to get my speed up, but I am still confused on what is the best way to do this.

I just signed up tonight for a 10k at the end of July, so I have a month to get the speed up so I can submit that time. I feel so lost...

Last year, after my first half marathon I read the book Run Less, Run Faster. Their training plan has you run only run three days a week, and cross train 3 days. The running days are very specific, with speedwork at a track one day, tempo run one day and long run the last day. It is a tough way to train, but the results for me were fantastic. I took nearly twenty minutes off my second half and was at 2:03 for my third. I still hope to go under 2 hours, so I am back at the track on hot summer days! Good luck.
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #752
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
Unfortunately it was too hot to attempt to best my 58:30 time, but I did learn that I need to practice running in the heat-- and practice hydrating on my training runs. (I usually drink very little because it upsets my stomach.) Any suggestions??
Two things I've found to be successful: 1. pre-hydrate - drink up 24-48 hours ahead with lots of water and some Gatorade/Powerade/Nuun/whatever. 2. If I take in 4ish ounces at a time while running, my stomach gets sloshy and crampy. Instead, I carry water and take little sips every third or so walk break. Keeps my tummy happy and me well hydrated!

Quote:
How do you know how many days to train?
I think this is very much an individual thing. I know plenty of folks who can run 2 or 3 days in a row, but I can't; my aging joints and past injuries rebel if I run more than 3 days a week. Cross-training in between is fine, so long as I don't do anything high-impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Although I'm not speaking from personal experience on this one, from what I've read and have seen work for others is to do hill work to improve speed.
I'll attest to this one! I've definitely seen both my speed and strength improve with hill work. Not a ton of it - one every couple weeks has been enough to make a difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another thought on beating the heat - I've tried getting up before sunrise (5am here) and, honestly, it's no more pleasant than going out shortly before sunset. The air here that early doesn't move, is super humid and still hot; summer temps rarely drop below 80 here. Late evening brings a nice sea breeze, which, if I can spend most of my run in the shade, is far more pleasant. But I suspect in other climates, getting out early would be good.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #753
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Another thought on beating the heat - I've tried getting up before sunrise (5am here) and, honestly, it's no more pleasant than going out shortly before sunset. The air here that early doesn't move, is super humid and still hot; summer temps rarely drop below 80 here. Late evening brings a nice sea breeze, which, if I can spend most of my run in the shade, is far more pleasant. But I suspect in other climates, getting out early would be good.
My brilliant idea in yesterday's heat was instead of running right after work at the park near here that is intermittently shady, we could make the approx. 1 hour commute home and run there where my community's paths are almost completely shaded and maybe give the temps some time to drop...let's see...it was 106 when we left work and dropped all the way to 104 by the time I was home! great idea. Needless to say, it was awful. They say by the end of the week we should be back in the 90's, but honestly with the humidity, it doesn't really make a difference. I don't believe I've seen my face that shade of red ever in my life. No wonder the bikers/walkers/joggers passing me by were looking at me funny...they probably thought I was about to bite the dust at any minute! It's funny, I go through this at least for the first several weeks of summer training...it puts me in the foulest of moods and I curse like a sailor starting out the run (until I have to shut up because I can't catch my breath)...which my BF just thinks is HILARIOUS...which in turn does nothing for my mood. He was kind enough to run the first mile with me last night (probably just to count how many F-bombs I could drop)...I was doing 3 and he was out for 4...he took off at my walk break and caught back up with me for my last half mile or so and encouraged me for those last few minutes. And all I wanted to do was punch him

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #754
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
.......Another thought on beating the heat - I've tried getting up before sunrise (5am here) and, honestly, it's no more pleasant than going out shortly before sunset. The air here that early doesn't move, is super humid and still hot; summer temps rarely drop below 80 here. Late evening brings a nice sea breeze, which, if I can spend most of my run in the shade, is far more pleasant. But I suspect in other climates, getting out early would be good.
Living 1-1/2hrs south of PrincessV and 1.5 miles in from the Gulf, I find getting out at 3AM or a little later to be the best time to train. The air may be stagnant but there is less vehicle combustion gasses in it. It is also very quiet and peaceful.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #755
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the hydrating advice. I don't do walk-breaks, but maybe I'll try just taking a small sip or two each mile. I was probably getting more out of dumping the cup of water over my head than the sip or two I would take during the race this weekend. Fortunately they had 6 well-spaced water stations for the 10K.

Hill workouts for increasing your speed; track workouts for increasing endurance. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it really worked for me! A couple of weeks of adding 1 hill workout as a mid-week workout and the pace that felt "normal" for me dropped from 12min/mi to 10min/mi!
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
TiggerAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #756
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Well, I am in luck...I live on a steep hill! I guess that is why the high school cross country team runs my street each year! So should the hill be my workout or just a part of it?

Thank you everyone for the advice! I have never been a runner, but have always loved the "idea" of being one. I can slowly see progress. I was able to run outside today since it is actually cool and breezy. I pushed myself for fast jogs and ended up with an overall time quicker than I have ever done. I couldn't do it long term, but at least I was able to make it through the workout.

On the days I don't run, what can I do that won't stress my legs? I walk my dog every day for 2 miles min, even on the training days, so my legs are used to numerous steps each day. I need to loose weight, but it's not coming off yet, so I am focusing on just my training for now. It's all so new to me.

Qltrgrl2, thank you for the book reference. I will have to go look for it this week.
poohbear8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #757
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I am in luck...I live on a steep hill! I guess that is why the high school cross country team runs my street each year! So should the hill be my workout or just a part of it?
When my BF was assigned hill work, it was always in addition to the run he had scheduled that day. This was a fairly aggresive training program for a full marathon though, so I don't know how that would translate to what works for you and your expectations for your race. The best thing to do is probably research online or in some of the books others have suggested to figure out what would be a good fit for your training.

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #758
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Active trainer (trainer.active.com) has a number of free plans that will give you a training plan to follow. I used the Sony Beginner Half Marathon plan for the Princess. Example of a hills workout:
"This is a run to be done on a hilly course, preferably one that rolls. Mix the hill workouts: some days, running strong on the up hills; other days, strong on the down hills; or just relax throughout the run and get used to running both uphill and downhill unless a specific workout is prescribed.
A 40 minute easy hilly run, running all the up hills slightly stronger is your exercise for today."

Their advice on cross-training:
"A few options for your cross training workout could include: taking a class at your gym, working out with a personal trainer, or performing a machine circuit. There are many ways to include resistance training in your life, find the one you enjoy the most and incorporate it into this workout.
For your workout today, you have the choice of a 20 minute easy run or cross training exercise."
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
TiggerAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #759
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you everyone for the advice! I have never been a runner, but have always loved the "idea" of being one. I can slowly see progress. I was able to run outside today since it is actually cool and breezy. I pushed myself for fast jogs and ended up with an overall time quicker than I have ever done. I couldn't do it long term, but at least I was able to make it through the workout.

On the days I don't run, what can I do that won't stress my legs? I walk my dog every day for 2 miles min, even on the training days, so my legs are used to numerous steps each day. I need to loose weight, but it's not coming off yet, so I am focusing on just my training for now. It's all so new to me.

Qltrgrl2, thank you for the book reference. I will have to go look for it this week.
I make any hill work my run for the day. The run usually lasts 45 minutes.

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #760
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I need some advice on how to manage side aches. I notice if I drink much before I run I get a BAD one. Also, as I have been increasing my distance they are becoming more frequent. Am I just pushing too hard? Not going into the run hydrated enough?

Todays run... I went 4.28 miles in 53 minutes... including the warm up and cool down time. Obviously not quite where I want to be...but getting there I just think I was doing better today before my side ache really kicked in and want to figure out how to manage it. Running is new to me. Prior to signing up for the ToT 10 miler I was very inactive.

TIA
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #761
miker1251
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I need some advice on how to manage side aches. I notice if I drink much before I run I get a BAD one. Also, as I have been increasing my distance they are becoming more frequent. Am I just pushing too hard? Not going into the run hydrated enough?

Todays run... I went 4.28 miles in 53 minutes... including the warm up and cool down time. Obviously not quite where I want to be...but getting there I just think I was doing better today before my side ache really kicked in and want to figure out how to manage it. Running is new to me. Prior to signing up for the ToT 10 miler I was very inactive.

TIA
It sounds as if you are experiencing side stitches. Runners World has a good article about them and how to prevent (http://beginners.runnersworld.com/20...-stitches.html). As always, if the pain continues or gets worse, see a doctor.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #762
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
He was kind enough to run the first mile with me last night (probably just to count how many F-bombs I could drop)...I was doing 3 and he was out for 4...he took off at my walk break and caught back up with me for my last half mile or so and encouraged me for those last few minutes. And all I wanted to do was punch him
I'd be ready to punch him, too! I seriously don't know how you do it - I think our heat is bad and then see what you and some friends of mine in TX deal with... so much worse!

Quote:
So should the hill be my workout or just a part of it?
I make mine part of a short run, but I also have a temperamental Achilles that needs to be babied. I do around a mile in a local park, then go over my hill (bridge, actually - we don't have many hills!) once or twice, and finish whatever's needed to get to 3 miles. I think it depends on your hill height and length, too - my bridge is tall enough to allow tall sailboats to pass underneath and almost a mile in length, so twice over is quite a workout.

Quote:
On the days I don't run, what can I do that won't stress my legs?
I stick to non-impact strength work on my non-run days. Yoga, pilates, ballet, walking, resistance band, etc.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #763
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Question about hill work: will a hilly gravel trail suffice?
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #764
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

Just checking in with a ten mile run, today. I got out at 6:30 am, before the heat kicks in for the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Question about hill work: will a hilly gravel trail suffice?
Yep, that should be fine. I like to change up my running surface, as to avoid overuse injuries.

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #765
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009 View Post
Just checking in with a ten mile run, today. I got out at 6:30 am, before the heat kicks in for the next few days.
Good Job!!
poohbear8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: