Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #46
arizonacolbys
Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!

Hi! I'm new to the world of running & was getting excited to try out the 5K during the Wine & Dine weekend, but I see that it's been moved now. We'll be at WDW 9/26-10/6 this year. Does anyone know if there may be a smaller/shorter race offered in addition to the 10 miler TOT race that weekend? Or is that typically not the case? TIA!
All Star Movies: Jan 2000 & Sept 2001 ~Poly & WL: Dec 2002, Contemp: March 2003 ~ POP - Sept 2004 (w/Jeanne!!), Jan 2005, May 2005 & Sept 2006! ~ BWV - Oct 2006, POP & CBR: Jan 2007 ~ WL: Aug/Sept 2007 ~ Poly & SSR: August 2009 - Maddie's 1st trip! ~ POR: Jan 2010 - girls only while hubby served in Iraq ~ SSR: Dec 2010 - Evelyn's 1st trip! ~ POP - May 2011 ~ AKLV - Sept 2012 ~ OKW: Dec 2013 ~ Upcoming trip - Dec 2014!!
arizonacolbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #47
APrunner
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonacolbys View Post
Hi! I'm new to the world of running & was getting excited to try out the 5K during the Wine & Dine weekend, but I see that it's been moved now. We'll be at WDW 9/26-10/6 this year. Does anyone know if there may be a smaller/shorter race offered in addition to the 10 miler TOT race that weekend? Or is that typically not the case? TIA!
I think I read somewhere (Disney Blog?) that they would have a 5K for this event as well.
APrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #48
luvdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonacolbys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrunner View Post
I think I read somewhere (Disney Blog?) that they would have a 5K for this event as well.
There will be a 5k in conjuction with the 10 miler, so watch for registration on Feb 15th!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
arizonacolbys
Owner of 2 Crazy Labs!

Thank you!!!
All Star Movies: Jan 2000 & Sept 2001 ~Poly & WL: Dec 2002, Contemp: March 2003 ~ POP - Sept 2004 (w/Jeanne!!), Jan 2005, May 2005 & Sept 2006! ~ BWV - Oct 2006, POP & CBR: Jan 2007 ~ WL: Aug/Sept 2007 ~ Poly & SSR: August 2009 - Maddie's 1st trip! ~ POR: Jan 2010 - girls only while hubby served in Iraq ~ SSR: Dec 2010 - Evelyn's 1st trip! ~ POP - May 2011 ~ AKLV - Sept 2012 ~ OKW: Dec 2013 ~ Upcoming trip - Dec 2014!!
arizonacolbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #50
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

This will be the first time I run Disney, so I have a few questions:

How busy are the parks on race weekends?

My son also wants to run Disney, he will be 7 when we go and will do the kids race. How are the kids races conducted, is it very loud and how do they start the race? (my son has high functioning autism) He loves to run and has done many childrens races before but loud noises can be a bit much for him, so I want to be prepared.

I know registration for the race won't be until next month, but will they release any information, fees, host hotels, etc before the registration date?

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #51
becky11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post

My son also wants to run Disney, he will be 7 when we go and will do the kids race. How are the kids races conducted, is it very loud and how do they start the race? (my son has high functioning autism) He loves to run and has done many childrens races before but loud noises can be a bit much for him, so I want to be prepared.

I know registration for the race won't be until next month, but will they release any information, fees, host hotels, etc before the registration date?

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions
This time of year will be the start of the Food & Wine Festival, so Epcot could be crowded, but not necessarily the entire resort.

My daughter has done the kids races the last couple of years and she loves it. They have a DJ getting everyone warmed up in the infield - which could be considered loud - but I wouldn't say it's an overall loud experience. They are cheering the kids on over the PA (DJ booth) as they come across the finish line too.

I'm not sure the fees/host hotels/etc will come out before - probably same day, but maybe a week or so before? Regardless, the price will remain the same for a few weeks before they go up, so you'll have time to make plans/decisions before registering.

Retired USAF 11/1/12 after 21 years!

Apparently, I'm a runner. Who knew?
------------------------------------
Race for the Taste 10K (WDW) 11 Oct 09 -- Tower of Terror 13K (WDW) 24 Oct 09 -- Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 2 Oct 10 -- 2nd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 1 Oct 11 -- Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (DL) 29 Jan 12 -- Royal Family 5K (WDW) 25 Feb 12 -- 4th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 26 Feb 12 - CtC! -- 5th Annual Expedition Everest Challenge (WDW) 5 May 12 - DH's first race! -- US Air Force Marathon (Dayton, OH) 15 Sep 12 - first full marathon! -- Inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (WDW) 29 Sep 12 -- 3rd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 10 Nov 12 -- 5th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 24 Feb 13
becky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #52
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

I'm really excited for this. While I haven't run any of the previous ToT races, the fact that I'll be going to bed around 2 or 3 instead of leaving my hotel at that time is REALLY appealing!

It's also going to be my boyfriend's first race-- so I have what, 35 weeks to go from couch to 10M? EASY.
PrincessRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #53
DisneyRunnerChick
Princess of the Sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post

We went last year during this same time for Wine and Dine, and it wasn't that bad. We could get on the rides we wanted and had a blast. As a matter of fact, I'd say the after party was probably the busiest time we saw the park. It was really slow both years I've been to marathon weekend as well, so I'd say the crowds probably won't be too bad.

I don't know about the kid races, but for the grown-ups, they shoot off fireworks. Disney is usually pretty good about making accommodations, so you may want to see what they can do.

Me-; DFi-; DS-; DD-
Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011, 2012; Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011; Princess Half Marathon 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge 2012; ToT 2012; Wine and Dine Half 2012

Off property 2003; Off property 2004; PC March 2006; POR September 2010; ALSS January 2011; CS March 2011; POR October 2011; YC/PC January 2012; ALSS February 2012; AKL May 2012; POR September 2012; CB September 2012; AoA/ALSMusic November 2012; CSR January 2013

DisneyRunnerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #54
Carrieannew
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Was planning to be there that weekend already.

I am not a runner at all right now. From the information I have found I am going to start with a Couch-to-5K first.

I might crawl accross the finish but I will do this
Dec 2005 - SSR, Dolphin & POP, Sept 2006 Asmo, Sept 2007 Asmo, Feb 2008 1st Solo Trip POP, May 2008 POP, June 2008 Asmo, Aug 2008 POP, Oct 2008 offsite, Dec 2008 POP, May 2009 POP Singles Take 2, Aug 2009 VWL & POP, May/June 2011 POFQ/ASmu, Oct 2011 POP, Dec 2011 SSR , Feb 12 Offsite, Sept/Oct 2012 AKV
Carrieannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #55
sabnrob06
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessRhi View Post
I'm really excited for this. While I haven't run any of the previous ToT races, the fact that I'll be going to bed around 2 or 3 instead of leaving my hotel at that time is REALLY appealing!

It's also going to be my boyfriend's first race-- so I have what, 35 weeks to go from couch to 10M? EASY.
I have not run the ToT either but did do the Princess Half in 2011 and dreaded getting up so early! Especially since we didn't go to bed until midnight because of the excitement!

This race will be my husbands first also. The 35 weeks to go from couch to 10 pm cracked me up!! I am going to have to share that one with him!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #56
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerChick View Post
We went last year during this same time for Wine and Dine, and it wasn't that bad. We could get on the rides we wanted and had a blast. As a matter of fact, I'd say the after party was probably the busiest time we saw the park. It was really slow both years I've been to marathon weekend as well, so I'd say the crowds probably won't be too bad.

I don't know about the kid races, but for the grown-ups, they shoot off fireworks. Disney is usually pretty good about making accommodations, so you may want to see what they can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky11 View Post
This time of year will be the start of the Food & Wine Festival, so Epcot could be crowded, but not necessarily the entire resort.

My daughter has done the kids races the last couple of years and she loves it. They have a DJ getting everyone warmed up in the infield - which could be considered loud - but I wouldn't say it's an overall loud experience. They are cheering the kids on over the PA (DJ booth) as they come across the finish line too.

I'm not sure the fees/host hotels/etc will come out before - probably same day, but maybe a week or so before? Regardless, the price will remain the same for a few weeks before they go up, so you'll have time to make plans/decisions before registering.
Thank you both, that information helps a lot. He is really excited about it, I'll just have him wear his headphones that day.
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #57
princessnpirate
Mouseketeer

I am in and psyched! I am doing my first half marathon this May and this will be a great follow-up to keep me on track. DH promised once I start running this level Disney races would be in. Sounds like a great first one!!! My parents are joining us so they can sit with the kids and DH and I can ride all the rides after the race!!

Last edited by princessnpirate; 01-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.
princessnpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #58
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Awww I so wish I could do this race...coming off of marathon weekend I was hoping this would be sometime later in the fall, but it falls right at the end of my honeymoon at Disney don't think the hubby to be would be too excited about another run, so Ill hold off for this one...good luck to everyone!!
Shannon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #59
ahoff
DIS Veteran

I made reservations for the weekend in anticipation of the W&D, so I will do this instead. ToT was the first Disney race I did, and it turned out to be the last time they ran it. I wonder if they will do the same thing with the clues along the route to find the killer? And I hope they make the corrals more organized, when I did it last there were no corrals, just signs with pace times, which it seemed so one paid any attention to.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #60
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Waiting for details to come out before making a decision, but I really want in on this one!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: