Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
kcsunshine73
Earning My Ears

Wink Christmas Eve and Day Hotel

Hi everyone! This is my first post on here, so a BIG HELLO.
Well, we've just booked next Christmas and New Year's Eve in WDW (2012-13) in a villa off site. We really want to book the two crucial nights onsite though - two adults and two kids (11 and 8 by then) - and were wondering what were your experiences of hotels at WDW at Christmas time? My husband really fancies Polynesian, but I wonder if it warrants the cost? I'm thinking we may be better served in Port Orleans or Caribbean resorts ... what do you all think? We don't really want to go for the motel type budget rooms (we stayed in ASM over Easter 2011 - it was adequate but quite a drive to the magic and we'd prefer hotel corridors etc) but are wondering whether to go for moderate or luxury for the two nights - Please help!
kcsunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
kcsunshine73
Earning My Ears

Meant to add ... do any hotels have a king size bed and a pair of bunk beds?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsunshine73 View Post
Meant to add ... do any hotels have a king size bed and a pair of bunk beds?
No. You can get a queen sized bed and a set of bunk beds at AKL and WL.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
kcsunshine73
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your answer! Just been looking through all the options on the website - torn now between pirate themed rooms at Caribbean and new suites at Animation ... any views? Also, still wondering if it's worth upgrading to lux resorts, or if it's just not worth the money for the time you spend there. Quite fancy Beach club with concierge.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

If it were me, I'd go with the WL. The WL is absolutely gorgeous during Christmas time. The lobby is beautiful with the tree in the center and the huge fireplace surrounded by rocking chairs makes it very homey and cozy . Plus the bunkbeds are fun for kids. On one of our WL stays we had the bunk beds and our boys loved them (they were 9 & 11 at the time). We love the WL any time of year, but especially during the holidays. Good luck deciding and happy planning .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

If interior corridors matter to you, you have to go deluxe to get them. The moderates have the same exterior, motel-like halls that they have at the values.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
nklooz
Mouseketeer

For Delxue I'd do Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge

For Moderate I'd go POFQ or POR

Those just seem to have the best holiday "feel" to me.
nklooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsunshine73 View Post
Thanks for your answer! Just been looking through all the options on the website - torn now between pirate themed rooms at Caribbean and new suites at Animation ... any views? Also, still wondering if it's worth upgrading to lux resorts, or if it's just not worth the money for the time you spend there. Quite fancy Beach club with concierge.
If you want a balcony to admire the view, you'll need a deluxe resort. Moderates and values back up to another room, so no balcony.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
YankeePrincess
I love Donald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
If it were me, I'd go with the WL. The WL is absolutely gorgeous during Christmas time. The lobby is beautiful with the tree in the center and the huge fireplace surrounded by rocking chairs makes it very homey and cozy . Plus the bunkbeds are fun for kids. On one of our WL stays we had the bunk beds and our boys loved them (they were 9 & 11 at the time). We love the WL any time of year, but especially during the holidays. Good luck deciding and happy planning .
I second this!! WL is gorgeous at Christmas!

Bay Lake Tower Owners Since 2009
Waiting on the Poly DVC!
YankeePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
amym2
DIS Veteran

Ditto the WL suggestion. We stayed there in Sept. in a bunkbed room and it was perfect!
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
JVP1
Mouseketeer

The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous at Christmas. I had us booked there for
Dec 21, 2012 but then started thinking about how much easier it would be to
stay at a Monorail Resort with the large crowds so I moved us over to the Polynesian. I know we gave up that woodsy Christmas feel but
have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in the past and didn't like the long waits for the buses. Maybe it was just out timing but we had the same problem last summer at the Caribbean Beach. One night the driver took over 1 hour ( I am NOT kidding) to drive back from the Magic Kingdom to CBR.

Have never been to Disney during Christmas week but was one year for President's Week which I really didn't think was too bad. Anyone know if the crowd size is about the same?

Last edited by JVP1; 03-04-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: adding on
JVP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVP1 View Post
The Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous at Christmas. I had us booked there for
Dec 21, 2012 but then started thinking about how much easier it would be to
stay at a Monorail Resort with the large crowds so I moved us over to the Polynesian. I know we gave up that woodsy Christmas feel but
have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in the past and didn't like the long waits for the buses. Maybe it was just out timing but we had the same problem last summer at the Caribbean Beach. One night the driver took over 1 hour ( I am NOT kidding) to drive back from the Magic Kingdom to CBR.

Have never been to Disney during Christmas week but was one year for President's Week which I really didn't think was too bad. Anyone know if the crowd size is about the same?
Christmas week is the busiest of all weeks at WDW. Often the parks will close to all guests at least once, maybe twice each day because they are packed. Waits for attractions can be 180 minutes or more. President's week is nothing compared to Christmas week.

You really don't want to go Christmas week if you want to go on a lot of attractions. It's more for the shows and decorations. You will spend a lot of time waiting in line.

Tags
christmas, family vacation, hotels, prices, resort services

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: