Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

just home last night.....

the tour was AWESOME!!!

our guides were Dean and Michael ....so funny and full of energy!

we met at the Grand CA, got signed in and took photo then were treated to a snack at the bar area before we boarded!

took about 45 minutes to get up to the studio on the bus, it went quick with a short video about WDS and what we were going to be seeing.

toured the studio, and learned about the history of some of the bldg's! got to shop at the employee store, make sure to buy the Studio stuff, can't get it anywhere else, we both got a t-shirt!

lunch was so yummy! I got the chicken tacos and my DD got a cheeseburger and some of the best fries we've ever had.

we then boarded the bus for our trip to Hollywood! we got a tour of Grahmans and then a little bit of the Oscar history before heading across the street to the Disney Ice Cream shop, DD picked up a pin from there and we shared an orange float!

then off to Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive....our bus driver Don talked about the old days of hollywood and sunset strip....we got about 20 minutes to walk around Rodeo drive before heading out to Malibu for our yummy appetizers and drinks then some beach time and a beautiful sunset before our long 2 1/2 hour drive back to Grand CA, got to watch Wall-E and some older Disney shorts.

along the way we received little surprises and treats....but I won't spoil it for those of you still waiting to go on the tour!

we had such a fun day that we hope to do the six day tour in the future! learning about the history of Disney Studios and seeing all the artifacts from the movies and collections is a great treat! and if you get Dean and Michael, its the cherry on top!!!!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #32
Mouse13
DIS Veteran

mommy2mrb, thanks so much for taking the time to share the details of your tour! I'm even more excited now! It sounds like so much fun and my crew can hardly wait for our turn to go on this adventure. I'm especially excited about touring the studios and shopping at the studio store. How many people did you have in your tour group? I'm a little worried about our tour getting cancelled or moved to another day and am hoping that we have enough folks sign up to make it a go. Also, thanks for letting us know about the surprises and treats but not spoiling them for us. I'm so glad that you and your DD had a magical time!
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #33
jacksparrowfan
Mouseketeer

Thank you for posting the day, mommy2mrb! Michael is amazing! Love him dearly!!! And, I understand Dean is just as awesome! Did they take pictures throughout the day? Do they let you walk around the Chinese Theater courtyard, at all? I'm hoping to see the new hand prints for Michael Jacksons kids. Or, walk up the steps to Kodak? Looking to do a quick step in to Crumbs. Been craving one of those cupcakes! LOL! But, it sounds like ice cream at the soda fountain is a stop. Yay! Next week for us! We can't wait!!! =)

Hope you do the full tour. It's a Disney trip of a lifetime. Seriously amazing!!! =)

October 20, 2009 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you Guides Michael & Jaime for making another great magical tour!

Summer 2011 --- ABD Backstage Magic Tour...Thank you, again, to our Guides & Friends Michael & Jaime - nothing but magic!
jacksparrowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

mommy2mrb, sounds wonderful! Thanks for the Report! I really, *really* hope they extend this until May!

jacksparrowfan, I think the Kodak Theatre is probably off limits at this point, as it's all set up for the Oscars on Sunday.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse13 View Post
mommy2mrb, thanks so much for taking the time to share the details of your tour! I'm even more excited now! It sounds like so much fun and my crew can hardly wait for our turn to go on this adventure. I'm especially excited about touring the studios and shopping at the studio store. How many people did you have in your tour group? I'm a little worried about our tour getting cancelled or moved to another day and am hoping that we have enough folks sign up to make it a go. Also, thanks for letting us know about the surprises and treats but not spoiling them for us. I'm so glad that you and your DD had a magical time!
happy to share! we had 15 people total, so a nice size group! I wouldn't worry about it getting cancelled, Dean said they were getting a good response to the tour and were extending it out to May!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrowfan View Post
Thank you for posting the day, mommy2mrb! Michael is amazing! Love him dearly!!! And, I understand Dean is just as awesome! Did they take pictures throughout the day? Do they let you walk around the Chinese Theater courtyard, at all? I'm hoping to see the new hand prints for Michael Jacksons kids. Or, walk up the steps to Kodak? Looking to do a quick step in to Crumbs. Been craving one of those cupcakes! LOL! But, it sounds like ice cream at the soda fountain is a stop. Yay! Next week for us! We can't wait!!! =)

Hope you do the full tour. It's a Disney trip of a lifetime. Seriously amazing!!! =)
they really made the tour for us! sit up close on the bus behind them if you can, we got to talk during our drives with them! they do take photos during the day....you will get something as the end with what they took....we did get to see the courtyard and yes MJ's kids prints are there! the soda fountain is a fun stop!
we hope to do the 6 day tour and when my DD graduates high school we plan on doing a couple of the european trips
have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
mommy2mrb, sounds wonderful! Thanks for the Report! I really, *really* hope they extend this until May!

jacksparrowfan, I think the Kodak Theatre is probably off limits at this point, as it's all set up for the Oscars on Sunday.

Sayhello
it really was fun! Dean said they were extending to May so you should call and find out!
we couldn't go into the Kodak but the "red carpet" area and steps were still open to the public....would think for the tours next week would get to go to the Kodak though!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #36
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
it really was fun! Dean said they were extending to May so you should call and find out!
we couldn't go into the Kodak but the "red carpet" area and steps were still open to the public....would think for the tours next week would get to go to the Kodak though!
Thanks, mommy2mrb! I will check. Quick question. You say it took 45 minutes to get to the Studios, then 2 1/2 hours from Malibu back to GCH. I guess that would be why they don't want people meeting them in L.A. - since they don't go back that way. I'm staying in Santa Monica, so I hate the idea of driving all the way down to Disneyland, then all the way back afterwards... What time did you get back to Disneyland?

Thanks,
Sayhello

ETA: Oh, geez, I looked at a map, and the restaurant, Gladstone's in Malibu, is like 10 minutes from where I'm staying in Santa Monica. We'd have to drive within a couple of blocks of there just to get from Gladstone's to the freeway! Then to drive 2 1/2 hours to Disneyland, and at least 50 minutes back to Santa Monica... I have to see if there's some way to work this out!

Last edited by sayhello; 02-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #37
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Thanks, mommy2mrb! I will check. Quick question. You say it took 45 minutes to get to the Studios, then 2 1/2 hours from Malibu back to GCH. I guess that would be why they don't want people meeting them in L.A. - since they don't go back that way. I'm staying in Santa Monica, so I hate the idea of driving all the way down to Disneyland, then all the way back afterwards... What time did you get back to Disneyland?

Thanks,
Sayhello

ETA: Oh, geez, I looked at a map, and the restaurant, Gladstone's in Malibu, is like 10 minutes from where I'm staying in Santa Monica. We'd have to drive within a couple of blocks of there just to get from Gladstone's to the freeway! Then to drive 2 1/2 hours to Disneyland, and at least 50 minutes back to Santa Monica... I have to see if there's some way to work this out!
we got back around 745pm....left malibu at 530pm....friday night traffic in LA is awful....you might check to see if you can just take a taxi from Gladstones since you will be so close, maybe you could get a shuttle from your hotel to GCH ...they do give out some goodies when you get back to GCH, so they might be able to give them to you before hand.

good luck figuring it out, hope it will work out so you can take the tour!!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #38
disneymum58
Mouseketeer

Is this tour something my DS12 would be ok on? This sounds like a fantastic tour and I would love to fit it in on our trip to DLR the end of March.

disneymum58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #39
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymum58 View Post
Is this tour something my DS12 would be ok on? This sounds like a fantastic tour and I would love to fit it in on our trip to DLR the end of March.
definately! as long as he is interested in Disney history and being on a bus tour around town! my DD is 11 and LOVED IT! there was a little girl about 6 and she did really great too!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Mouse13
DIS Veteran

mommy2mrb, I really appreciate all of the information you've given us about the tour! It's been so helpful.

I do have one other question....were you allowed to bring your cell phone inside the Disney Studios? I understand that photos are only allowed at certain times, but I would like to use my cell phone as my camera on the tour. I'm curious about this because I read in someone's Backstage Magic trip report that they had to leave all of their cell phones on the bus when they were at the studios. If that's true on the tour, too, I want to be sure to bring my digital camera. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #41
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse13 View Post
mommy2mrb, I really appreciate all of the information you've given us about the tour! It's been so helpful.

I do have one other question....were you allowed to bring your cell phone inside the Disney Studios? I understand that photos are only allowed at certain times, but I would like to use my cell phone as my camera on the tour. I'm curious about this because I read in someone's Backstage Magic trip report that they had to leave all of their cell phones on the bus when they were at the studios. If that's true on the tour, too, I want to be sure to bring my digital camera. Thanks in advance!
happy to pass along any info and answer questions!!
our guides told us were we could not take photos....big no-no is any of the directories or names on the doors of offices....you can bring your cell phone, just no photos where told...I had mine with me on vibrate.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #42
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
we got back around 745pm....left malibu at 530pm....friday night traffic in LA is awful....you might check to see if you can just take a taxi from Gladstones since you will be so close, maybe you could get a shuttle from your hotel to GCH ...they do give out some goodies when you get back to GCH, so they might be able to give them to you before hand.

good luck figuring it out, hope it will work out so you can take the tour!!
Is there any reason you can think of to take the bus back to GCH? I know on the ABD's I've been on, by the time you're heading back to the hotel, people are pretty pooped, and there's not a lot going on in the bus...

I forgot to ask... what time did you guys meet up in the morning at GCH?

Thanks again for all the info!

Sayhello
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #43
mommy2mrb

Quote:
Is there any reason you can think of to take the bus back to GCH? I know on the ABD's I've been on, by the time you're heading back to the hotel, people are pretty pooped, and there's not a lot going on in the bus...

I forgot to ask... what time did you guys meet up in the morning at GCH?

Thanks again for all the info!

Sayhello
only to get the gifts, but again they would probably give them to you at Gladstones....our group pretty much kept to themselves, not a lot of interaction...bus was just a movie coming home.

we met at 815am in the lobby by the piano...did quick intro, photo and snacks before getting on the bus at about 840, we did get there before 8 though just in case! I'm never late

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #44
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
only to get the gifts, but again they would probably give them to you at Gladstones....our group pretty much kept to themselves, not a lot of interaction...bus was just a movie coming home.

we met at 815am in the lobby by the piano...did quick intro, photo and snacks before getting on the bus at about 840, we did get there before 8 though just in case! I'm never late
Thanks, mommy2mrb!

Not being on time is one of my biggest faults!

Sayhello
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #45
AStamm
DIS Veteran

Anyone successfully book this one-day add-on past April 2012? I read the headline on the Dis a few days ago that the tour would continue through Summer 2012. Tried the ABD phone number yesterday and they said I had to add it on through DVC since I was using points for my vacation. Called DVC today only to be told I had to book it through ABD and that they were only accepting reservations through April at this point, so to keep checking back .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: