Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Kristie808
First ever Orlando Trip 2012

cash, travelers cks or debit card

Hi,

I wanted to get an idea of what people usually do when in WDW or U.S?
Do you usually bring cash or Travelers checks, or debit / credit card?
I'm trying to figure out what is the best thing to do... probably not safe to bring too much Cash... is travelers check a pain to use at the parks?
I'm probably gonna use a fanny pack to keep valuables close..

What do you all do?

Thanks!!
Kristie808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

We usually use a combination of all three. A little cash, much of which is left in the safe. The rest is split between TC's and DC's. The TC's are not difficult to use at all. Most places accept them.
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

We always stay onsite, and then hook up our credit card to our KTTW card. Then we don't carry anything but a little cash (maybe $10) with us.

Don't take your debit card if you have a credit card you can use. If something happens and your card info is compromised the money comes out of your checking account until it is settled. We had over $900 of unauthorized charges to our credit card. We didn't have to pay it while it was investigated. If it had been our debit card, we'd have serious problems.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I had no idea people still used travelers checks. I use my credit card or KTTW. No fee and no hassle.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
pampam
DIS Veteran

Definitley TC. I also have a couple of hunddred cash, but that is quickly used. I use TC for everything. I take CCs with us, but only for emergencies. and yes, TCs are still being used. I just bought mine for our trip next week.

I've posted this on other threads, but it's worth repeating. One trip we had only been in Orlando about an hour, and I lost all my TCs. I just felt sick about it but they were replaced the next day, just like in the commercial. All I lost was a nights sleep. And yes, they were American Express.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
T1gger
Tigger Girl

We get a prepaid currency card - but are from the UK so it is easier and cheaper that way instead of our UK cards - it works just like a credit/debit card and we can use it to withdraw cash as well

We also take some cash with us

As this is the first time staying onsite from what I have read we will probably just use our KTTW card for most things.

Dec 85 Off-site
Apr 10 Off-site
Oct 12 CSR
Oct 14 OKW
T1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We stay onsite and apply a Credit Card to our room. We charge almost everything on our KTTW card. We carry a little cash with us each day.
I also accumulate Disney Visa points throughout the year. I convert them to Disney Gift Cards. I apply that to my room account balance as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran

Smile

I usually leave home with about $100.00 cash. I rely on my Credit Cards mostly, but I bring my Debit in case I need to access my bank accounts and make a cash withdrawal. Using a CC for that purpose is just throwing money away. They charge interest on cash advances from the moment you get the money. I always get receipts, always! That way if anything happens I can easily reconstruct my expenses.

Off track here a little but it always makes me scratch my head in wonder when I see people use CC's and when asked if they want a receipt...say no! How do they reconcile their bills...are their memories that clear? Mine sure isn't and I have found the occasional mistake on my statements by checking the receipts against the statement. Something I might not have noticed otherwise.

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Credit card- if my wallet is stolen or there are unauthorized purchases (waiter stealing card number, etc) it offers the best protection. Mine also offers travel insurance at no additional cost when I pay for the trip with it, and my purchases are all protected against defect.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristie808 View Post
Hi,

I wanted to get an idea of what people usually do when in WDW or U.S?
Do you usually bring cash or Travelers checks, or debit / credit card?
I'm trying to figure out what is the best thing to do... probably not safe to bring too much Cash... is travelers check a pain to use at the parks?
I'm probably gonna use a fanny pack to keep valuables close..

What do you all do?

Thanks!!
If your staying on property, everything goes on your room key. If your staying off property, we put everything on a credit card. It's just much, much easier. There should be a law against using checks and cash.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Bon
Mouseketeer

We use TC and cash. I bring a $100 TC for every morning we're there that I cash at the resort and I bring about $300 cash in small bills for gratuities, cabs and laundry. We usually stay about 8 days with the dining plan. We bring a credit card to but we prefer not to use it. No bills to come home to then
Bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearybear View Post
We always stay onsite, and then hook up our credit card to our KTTW card. Then we don't carry anything but a little cash (maybe $10) with us.

Don't take your debit card if you have a credit card you can use. If something happens and your card info is compromised the money comes out of your checking account until it is settled. We had over $900 of unauthorized charges to our credit card. We didn't have to pay it while it was investigated. If it had been our debit card, we'd have serious problems.
I agree with this

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #13
cajunbaby1
DIS Veteran

You can go to Walmart to where u pay bills or get m. orders and buy a Walmart moneycard. It's like $3.00 to buy it and usually they dont charge when you load it for the 1st time. It has the visa logo on it and you just use it like a regular credit card. You then go to the website enter your infor and they'll send you one to ur house that has you name printed on it.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
I usually leave home with about $100.00 cash. I rely on my Credit Cards mostly, but I bring my Debit in case I need to access my bank accounts and make a cash withdrawal. Using a CC for that purpose is just throwing money away. They charge interest on cash advances from the moment you get the money. I always get receipts, always! That way if anything happens I can easily reconstruct my expenses.

Off track here a little but it always makes me scratch my head in wonder when I see people use CC's and when asked if they want a receipt...say no! How do they reconcile their bills...are their memories that clear? Mine sure isn't and I have found the occasional mistake on my statements by checking the receipts against the statement. Something I might not have noticed otherwise.
In the park, I don't want to carry a bunch of receipts. Last time, I used my KTTW card, and at the end of my trip they gave me a detailed list of all the charges, so its no different than having receipts.

Honestly, I don't reconsile my credit card bills, I look at the charges and I see what was charged, when and where and if something was out of the ordinary I would know. The only time I keep the receipt is if there is a deductible thing for our business.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We use one credit card.........

Discover tied to our room key...it's all that's needed....and get the cash back bonus.....

Traveler Checks are passe any more.....years and years ago when we used them, too much trouble cashing them in...who issued to and whose signature was on them....

Honestly, we know what oour trip is going to cost, no sticker shock when the statement arrives....room, food tickets...the whole deal is on there and we don't have to wrry about cash, debit cards...nothing.....credit card after applied to room key is in the safe......it's just so much more easier.....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: