Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
I just noticed you are from Canada. If you are on a non-stop flight from Canada to MCO don't forget you can purchase alcohol at the Duty Free shops at your departure airport and carry that onto the plane with you.
Thanks to you too! We are actually leaving out of Detroit since we are so close to the border so I can't even pull that one off.
Maybe if I tell everyone in our FE group that my 5yo DD really likes whiskey...
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
mayjay
Mouseketeer

can you stop at Duty Free on your way into Detroit?

Me DH DS6 DD5

DCL Magic Feb/March 2012 Eastern Carribean
ASMo April 2010 First time onsite
off-site November 2008
off-site February 2008
off-site April 1983
mayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
can you stop at Duty Free on your way into Detroit?
I am sure they could, but they wouldn't be able to carry it on the plane with them. They would have to check it & then move from checked luggage to carry on in Florida, which I would probably do in their situation. I would make sure to buy plastic bottles though.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
I am sure they could, but they wouldn't be able to carry it on the plane with them. They would have to check it & then move from checked luggage to carry on in Florida, which I would probably do in their situation. I would make sure to buy plastic bottles though.
I think it depends! When we took a cruise out of Puerto Rico, we were able to shop at the Duty Free on the way back and bring it on the plane. They put it in a pouch for us and sealed it with a "security strap" so it could not be opened without cutting it. I think the thought is that since the strap has to be cut and knifes, scissors, etc. are not allowed on the plane, the passengar would not have access to the liquids.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
I think it depends! When we took a cruise out of Puerto Rico, we were able to shop at the Duty Free on the way back and bring it on the plane. They put it in a pouch for us and sealed it with a "security strap" so it could not be opened without cutting it. I think the thought is that since the strap has to be cut and knifes, scissors, etc. are not allowed on the plane, the passengar would not have access to the liquids.
They could not get duty free liquor when driving across the border from Canada into Michigan and then take that liquor through security as a carryon. The suggestion I was replying to was for them to get duty free liquor before getting to the airport.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
robin19871
DIS Veteran

We brought off 2 half full bottles on our Dream cruise. The customs agent never even looked or said anything..(We were spending 5 days at WDW after otherwise we would have just dumped it.) However, It ended being dumped anyways..(Too busy for a drink)
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellenbella View Post
We were on the Magic in Nov, 2 adults one child. We took a car service to port and stopped at a liquor store & grocery store along the way (right next door to each other). We bought 4 large bottles of liquor, 2 bottles of wine, and a 12 pack of beer. We returned with 2 of the bottles of liquor, packed them in our luggage and used DCL transfers to the port. When customs asked if we had anything to claim, we said no, since we didn't--we had bought it before we left. We had no problems at all.
I would hope you had the reciept for the bottles..........becuase its not a good idea to play word games with Customs, I know what you meant, but if they checked your bags........you better have the reciept and hope they accept it as proof!.........they WILL lock you up fast and fine you big time!.......worse then the IRS....you just can't win againist them, especaiily in todays terror world!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

We took one bottle of amaretto on our Mexican Riviera cruise for mixed drinks. We did not finish it and it was too much to just leave it behind. So, we put it in our carry-on bag leaving the ship. When we went through the customs check we filled out the form stating that we did not purchase any alcohol (since we did not). We got to the customs agent. DH handed him the form. He said, "No alcohol or tobacco?" DH said, "No." I said, "Well, no." The agent said, "Should we try that again?" I explained (in not so many words) that "we brought a sealed bottle from home on the cruise and did not finish it all. We had that bottle with us and nothing more. We didn't want to just throw it out, but if we aren't allowed to bring it back home, we will throw it out here."

- pause -

Agent: "Do you have any OTHER alcohol or tobacco?"
"No."
"Welcome home."

Now, we were not flying, but that's our story coming back in to the US (our home country) with alcohol we took with us.

Of course, your mileage may vary,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #24
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

^
One bottle (as long as it's <1 L) wouldn't be a customs problem regardless of whether you acquired it at home or abroad.

What would be a problem is if you had multiple bottles and no proof that you purchased them in the US.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #25
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

Thanks all...

It sounds like it's been decided: my daughter is really hoping for whiskey in her FE exchange. Pass it on!
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Giggles971
Earning My Ears

LoL i am getting a shuttle a day before and am lookinng for a liquor store before we head on the boat as well! LoL had to laugh thinking we have issues! its our vacation too!
Giggles971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #27
stalbertsteve
Mouseketeer

Can someone explained to me why alcohol needs to be in the carry on bag?

Walt Disney World - Dec 2-9 2008
Disney Wonder Apr 27 - May 3 2011
Disney Fantasy Nov 24 - Dec 1 2012
Disney Fantasy Nov 30 - Dec 7 2013
Disney Magic Nov 6 - Nov 11 2015
Disney Magic Nov 11 - Nov 15 2015
stalbertsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalbertsteve View Post
I think because...
Lots of luggage getting handled on those ships. Broken liquor bottles cause messes not only to your luggage but others. Just bring a roll on carry on to put your liquor in and take it through the security at the gate. Not a problem and you really don't have your carry on luggage that long until your room is ready.

Depending on your itinerary, we bought our liquor in Key West and Cozumel and just walked it back on the ship. I think they still allow that.
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalbertsteve View Post
This would be one answer - here is a picture of one of the baggage room where your luggage waits to be delivered to your room

Another answer would be - DCL asks you to.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
Dislaney4n6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
It sounds like it's been decided: my daughter is really hoping for whiskey in her FE exchange. Pass it on!
Maybe someone in your fish exchange would be willing to bring a bottle for you if they are stopping/driving??? worth asking your meet group.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: