Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
DisneyCDE
Mouseketeer

Bringing alcohol onboard

Just making sure it is still ok to bring alcohol onboard. What do you bring it in? If you have alcohol left, can you bring it back off the ship also?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCDE View Post
Just making sure it is still ok to bring alcohol onboard. What do you bring it in? If you have alcohol left, can you bring it back off the ship also?
Currently, you may bring onboard whatever drinks you would like. No limit. The only request is that you carry it on. Do not place in your checked luggage.

About any "left over" stuff - hummmmmm.

Don't know for sure, but I think you would need to have your receipt that you purchased it before you were onboard. Otherwise, it might count in your liquor allotment for bringing back from the trip.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

Regarding leftover alcohol, we didn't open the bottle of Margarita that we had brought. When we read the instructions for disembarking the ship, it noted that any alcohol had to be packed in your check in luggage and not in your carry on, opposite as when you board the ship. We did it that way and had no problem at all.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

So liquid's are to be placed in your checked luggage when disembarking the ship and not taken off personally?

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
So liquid's are to be placed in your checked luggage when disembarking the ship and not taken off personally?

Ex Techie
that's what they told us to do, that's what we did, and had no problems.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Don't bring too much, we did this on our last cruise and barely had time to drink any of it. We gave the left over to one of our FE couples because they lived in the area. Not sure how they made out, but I assume they got it off the ship OK.

As for what to bring, I would suggest something that goes well with soda, such as whiskey or rum. Then, you won't have to worry about bringing chasers with you since the ship has free sodas.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
kmitchel
DIS Veteran

I usually bring a handful of the "airline size" bottles in my carry-on luggage. I usually still have some left and they stayed in my carry-off luggage. I've never had any problems either, but it could have been because the bottles were so small.
kmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

using Disney airport transfer

We decided to book the transfer from the airport through Disney (a bus if I recall correctly). Can anyone tell me whether there's any place I might be able to buy a bottle between the airport and the port? (Does that make me sound like I have a problem?
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
We decided to book the transfer from the airport through Disney (a bus if I recall correctly). Can anyone tell me whether there's any place I might be able to buy a bottle between the airport and the port? (Does that make me sound like I have a problem?
The bus will not be stopping anywhere betweent the airport and the port. The only thing you could do is take a cab once you are dropped off at the port to the liquor store in cape canaveral which is about 10 mins away. Or just dont do the Disney transfers at all--I never take them to the ship for this reason because it allows no flexibility in stopping for liquor or any other items you may want to pickup. It is also almost always the least cost effective way of getting to the port unless you are single. I am single on this next cruise in Feb but I'm still renting a car since its only $20 more and I can make my liquor stop and get to the port when I want to. If I were travelling as a party of 2 or more the car would have been even cheaper than 2 bus transfers. Definitely something for you to think about.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
SplashMountainManiac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you take a town car service, they will usually allow a 15-30 minute stop at a store en route to your destination. Depending on the size of your party, this may even be cheaper then Disney transfers. Make sure to leave room in your carry on luggage.

"To be on the deck of a great ship on a star-filled night in the middle of a great ocean is as close to magic as there ever is" Michael Eisner
Past Cruises: Disney Wonder, Bahamas June'06; Disney Wonder, Bahamas December '06; NCL Pride of Hawaii, Hawaii June '07; Disney Wonder, Bahamas September '07; RCI Navigator of the Seas, W. Caribbean December '07;Disney Magic, Mexican Riviera June '08;RCI Navigator of the Seas, W. Caribbean November'08;Disney Magic, W. Caribbean March '09;Celebrity Infinity, Alaska July '09;Disney Wonder, Bahamas August 13th '09;Disney Magic, E. Caribbean November 14th '09;Disney Wonder, Bahamas January 14th '10;Disney Magic, W. Caribbean March 6th '10;Disney Magic, Meditteranean May 5th '10; Disney Wonder, Bahamas October 3rd '10; Disney Wonder, E. Caribbean December 30th '10; Disney Wonder, Bahamas December 19th '10; Disney Magic, E. Caribbean December 30th '11; Disney Fantasy, W. Caribbean May 12th '12; Disney Dream, Bahamas, December 19th '12; Disney Dream, Bahamas February 28th '13

Planned Cruises: Disney Fantasy, W. Caribbean October 12th '13
SplashMountainManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
SplashMountainManiac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCDE View Post
You can bring alcohol off the ship, but it must be sealed in its original container, and it must meet customs guidelines. Any alcohol bought while on the cruise is subject to the 1 liter per person customs restrictions. If you bought the alcohol before the cruise, keep the receipt and it "should" be exempt from the customs requirement. Anything bought in the US and brought back to the US is exempt from duties since you already paid duties, but a customs agent might give you a hard time over it if you get searched. Your receipts should serve as proof though and it shouldn't be any problem.

"To be on the deck of a great ship on a star-filled night in the middle of a great ocean is as close to magic as there ever is" Michael Eisner
Past Cruises: Disney Wonder, Bahamas June'06; Disney Wonder, Bahamas December '06; NCL Pride of Hawaii, Hawaii June '07; Disney Wonder, Bahamas September '07; RCI Navigator of the Seas, W. Caribbean December '07;Disney Magic, Mexican Riviera June '08;RCI Navigator of the Seas, W. Caribbean November'08;Disney Magic, W. Caribbean March '09;Celebrity Infinity, Alaska July '09;Disney Wonder, Bahamas August 13th '09;Disney Magic, E. Caribbean November 14th '09;Disney Wonder, Bahamas January 14th '10;Disney Magic, W. Caribbean March 6th '10;Disney Magic, Meditteranean May 5th '10; Disney Wonder, Bahamas October 3rd '10; Disney Wonder, E. Caribbean December 30th '10; Disney Wonder, Bahamas December 19th '10; Disney Magic, E. Caribbean December 30th '11; Disney Fantasy, W. Caribbean May 12th '12; Disney Dream, Bahamas, December 19th '12; Disney Dream, Bahamas February 28th '13

Planned Cruises: Disney Fantasy, W. Caribbean October 12th '13
SplashMountainManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcemc View Post
Regarding leftover alcohol, we didn't open the bottle of Margarita that we had brought. When we read the instructions for disembarking the ship, it noted that any alcohol had to be packed in your check in luggage and not in your carry on, opposite as when you board the ship. We did it that way and had no problem at all.
Never saw this in any of the embarkation information and have always uses the rolling duffles that they sell in the gift shops as a purchase with purchase to pack our liquor and roll it off with us. ALL your luggage goes through customs with you unless you are flying in which case you WOULD have to have everything in your checked luggage for the airlines. We drive so this is not a problem for us. That might be the difference (We are also able to pick up 151 Rum, too, because we are driving. You can't take this on the plane at all.)

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

WDWP71 & Splash

Thanks
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
I just noticed you are from Canada. If you are on a non-stop flight from Canada to MCO don't forget you can purchase alcohol at the Duty Free shops at your departure airport and carry that onto the plane with you.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Daniellenbella
Mouseketeer

We were on the Magic in Nov, 2 adults one child. We took a car service to port and stopped at a liquor store & grocery store along the way (right next door to each other). We bought 4 large bottles of liquor, 2 bottles of wine, and a 12 pack of beer. We returned with 2 of the bottles of liquor, packed them in our luggage and used DCL transfers to the port. When customs asked if we had anything to claim, we said no, since we didn't--we had bought it before we left. We had no problems at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: