Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm one of those who did a PTR mixed with an old TR, so of course I'm all for that! yay for getting to hear about your proposal trip.

Also, YAY! for a possible job.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #32
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Merry Manor Inn(Portland, Maine)

February 10th 2011

DBF and I started for the Merry Manor Inn in Portland Maine in the early afternoon. I'd decided to stay here the night before our flight just in case there was some bad weather. Also friends had told me about their Fly and Park package which worked out well. We parked our car there for the week we were in Florida.

We went shopping at the mall for a while and DBF got some swim trunks. We had a nice time meandering around Best Buy and drooling over the new gadgets and games. Then we went to the hotel which was nice. In the lobby though, DBF stopped to get a cup of coffee and as he did I noticed something strange about their Valentines decorations.

Happy Inlentines Day?
So then we got into our room and DBF who is a HUGE Doctor Who fan discovered imediately that there was a very familliar looking crack in the wall...hopefully you Who fans out there will get the reference even though it's hard to see the crack in this picture.

We went to the Governors Restaurant that was attached. These restaurants are known in Maine for their home cooked meals. I must tell you though that you don't want to eat here if you have a gluten allergy. I made do the best I could a bun-less burger and DBF had his usual Ruebin, I think. The cool thing about Governors is the train they have making it's way around the dining room.

That night we tested out their beyond awesome Indoor/Outdoor pool. Yes you read that right. This pool is heated. It starts inside, then you go through a little plastic curtain and you are swimming outside in the middle of winter! It was way cool. We swam for over an hour amazed by the fact that we were surrounded by snow and could see our breath but were swimming comfortable. They also had a hot tub and another little pool that was cooler than the regular pool. We skipped that one.
It was an incredibly relaxing way to kick off our first vacation together. I will never forget the sense of peace I felt floating hand in hand with man I love, the steam drifting between us and the stars.

Stay with me here, one more day and we'll be in Disney World!

Last edited by suorkaterina; 03-28-2012 at 09:54 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

In Flight(Maine to Florida)

February 11th 2011

The adventure begins! So it was a crazy night. I slept a total of three hours because my mind was racing with flight times and such. I spent the night downloading games onto my itouch and playing angry birds. Sigh. So when it was time to wake up I was a bit cranky, but also very excited so I got up and showered and DBF(who was loving the memory foam mattress and fell asleep in about 2 seconds flat) and I made our way to Governors again for our complimentary breakfast. Strike two for Governors. Their hashbrowns were sadly cooked in the same oil as breaded things so they had to make mine seperately which aparently takes half and hour, who knew! So after that we packed up, had the front desk call us a taxi and we were off to the airport. I didn't understand a word the driver said so i just nodded and laughed when it seemed appropriate but DBF seemed to understand him well enough. So we got there and went through security, DBF got his hands swabbed which we found fascinating. It's been a while since we've flown

Sooo. We got bored and went into the CNBC store and bought Voodoo dolls. Our idea was to treat them like Flat Stanly's(but as you'll see we forgot about them after a couple days) Anyhow, here they are. DBF has a Roman obsession so he went with the Gladiator.

The flight was on Delta who's planes I regret to inform you are sadly out of date. I flew Jet Blue two years ago and their planes were way better. The little commuter to NY was tight but it got us there. Once in NY we got ourselves some lunch/dinner and sat down to wait out our 3 hours layover. About an hour before take-off we were sitting by our gate when an announcement came over the speakers that our flight had been cancelled. Now, there were blue skies out there so I just sat in denial while DBF shot up and got into the line quickly forming at the desk. At this point all my planning and preparation built up and as i joined him in the line to get assigned a new flight I started to quietly freak out. We only had 5 days at the parks and I was afraid they were going to make us fly out the next day instead. We waited in line for over an hour but finally when we got up to the counter we were told we'd have a flight to Tampa and a shuttle to MGO and the new flight would leave only a couple hours after the original flight. Oh yeah, and also that the flight had been cancelled due to technical difficulties. So we grabbed a snack and waited again. The next flight was cramped and outdated as well. Delta, you are not scoring big with me even though you did give us each 100$ vouchers. But we got to Tampa. Then nobody had mentioned this shuttle thing to anybody in Tampa so we had to figure that out. Then we had a shuttle ride with a couple of women who were nice but kept complaining about our flight being cancelled even though one of these women got an upgrade to first class! I call shenanegans! Anyhow, the shuttle was fine, I almost fell asleep, DBF was enjoying the view out the window. He's never been to Florida before. Of course at this point it was 10pm but you know Tampa was lit up nice and bright and so was Orlando. DBF thanked me for insisting he bring a jacket cause it was pretty cold that first night.

Ok, so finally we get to MGO and they let us off right near the Magical Express. We walk through past the lady there. just seeing that CM waiting by the queue made me very happy. We got into our Queue for the Caribbean Beach resort, handed our luggage to the driver and settled into the dark bus. I swear i could even smell the Disney-ness the second we got on the bus. So at this point it's about midnight. We drive and enjoy the cool video in the bus, which of course gives me goose bumps. I'm screaming in my little head. It's here, we're here, we're finally here! Of course I'm paying so much attention to the video that I almost miss the signs! which DBF points out to me. So we get off the bus and BAM, I'm home again. Never fails to amaze me how much CBR feels like home no matter how long it's been since I've been there. My family and I have been CBR fans for years. We tested out a few others, Contemporary, Port Orleans...but none of them ever measured up to the steel drums, beautiful pathways and bright island colors of CBR.

So we check in and the CM is very nice, tells me I got Jamaica like I had requested. Yay! And we go back to the curb to wait for someone to take us to the room. At this point I am almost too tired to be excited. DBF just wants a cigaret. The CM that takes us to the room is really nice and I tip him big, realizing quickly that I didn't save nearly enough money aside for tips. Did I mention that this is pretty much my first vacation that I've ever planned and paid for on my own, at 31? Sad, I know. Ok, so tips and Delta, these are things I need to remember for next time.

We go up to the room, which DBF finds without a problem. CBR rooms and numbers always confuse me. For the remainder of this trip I realize I have to have DBF with me in order to find our room, in fact I stop bothering to remember the room number halfway into the first day. So of course we whip out our voodoo dolls for a photoshoot in the room.

Then I decide to follow DBF out to find the nearest smoking area and enjoy a little walk in the early morning...er 1am!

So that is the end of our travel day and overflow into the next day. It's amazing how the magic of Disney takes over the second any of the park comes into sight, even getting into the queue for the Magical Express! I vowed before we left for this vacation that I would stop and try to imprint every moment into my memory. I think I succeeded. Three weeks later and all this still feels like yesterday. Anyhow, stick with me, We're going to Magic Kingdom tomorrow!

Last edited by suorkaterina; 03-28-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #34
oboedm
DIS Veteran

That is great news! I really hope that you hear back soon. I am glad they are so willing to let you have those days for your wedding and honeymoon! Things seem to be looking up!

Can't wait to hear about your engagement trip!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #35
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Oh no, there is a crack in the wall! Silence will fall.

Love Doctor Who.

That pool sounds awesome! Too bad you didn't take pictures.

Sucky travel day, but hopefully things got better the rest of the trip.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #36
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Oh no, there is a crack in the wall! Silence will fall.

Love Doctor Who.

That pool sounds awesome! Too bad you didn't take pictures.

Sucky travel day, but hopefully things got better the rest of the trip.
My DF is a HUGE Doctor Who fan, like old school Who too. The original title of the TR was "converting Doctor Who into Mr. Disney"

I think i do have a pic of the pool. This time we won't be there while there's snow so it won't be quite as fun to be swimming surrounded by snow.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #37
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Flights and Fancy(Flight info and some other little updates)

Hey everyone! I thought it was about time for an update. We are about 7 months away now and things are slowly coming together. Sometimes it feels like it's tooooooo slow!

I've been working on school stuff and it's a bit overwhelming but I'm hoping I get a better handle on the work soon. The fact is my head is sort of geared towards marriage and starting a family and not so much on school. I just have to keep reminding myself this is what I've been working towards and I only have two years left. Though I was thinking about a doctorate...what am I crazy!!!

I've been working on an Excel Spreadsheet for the trip. I don't think I'll post it yet but I will when we get a little closer. I've worked pretty hard on it and am still moving things around to make it more usable. I've used Touring Plans a lot and am now starting to pick which park which day to decide on ADR's Getting DF to choose restaurants with me is difficult. He doesn't quite get the whole idea of picking where you're going to eat 7 months in advance. I guess I'll just have to sneak some menus under his nose. Maybe I'll put them in the bathroom for a little "light reading" HAHAHA

So, flight info! Finally Jet Blue has extended their dates into October. I checked our dates and there was a flight at 6am Sunday September the 16th. Perfect, and just a two hour layover in NY. However on the day we leave I'd wanted a later flight but the latest flight they have is at 10:45AM! I dunno why. I'm hoping they add some more by the time I can afford to pay for the flight. If not I guess we'll just have to leave earlier. I'd add another day but...hehe...I've already told my new job when I'm coming back.

Some good developments on the money front, I was a little worried because my new job was a pay decrease of about 4$ and hour. Blech. But I just did my taxes and I'm getting quite a bit back and it will pay for about a third to half of the honeymoon

So I'm going to have two more posts today(even thought I have lots of reading to do for school!) The next two post will be the day we got engaged in our February 2011 TR and also a post about our wedding with lots of pictures of the wedding site and our engagement pics.

Last edited by suorkaterina; 03-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Magical Day at the Magic Kingdom

Okay, so we are finally going to the parks! This day is etched into my mind, even though it was now over a year ago. This was February 12th 2011.

Our day started with some exploration of the resort. I'd planned to make it to rope drop at MK but we had gotten in so late that we slept right through my cell phone alarm. So we took our time getting ready. We were in Jamaica which is a nice walk across Caribbean Cay to Old Port Royale. When we got to OPR I was excited because I'd had this vision in my head of us eating at a particular table outside. But it wasn't near the smoking section! Oh dear! So after we bought our mugs, DBF got some coffee and I got a yogurt to go with my G-free granola bar, we found a nice spot out by the fountain.

After we were done we took the mugs back to the room and headed for the buses. Now, I'm sure some of you can understand my eagerness for DBF to enjoy himself. Disney is such a big part of my life, I was freaking out that he would be one of those "take it or leave it" sorts of people with disney. I think he might have felt the pressure from me! So we made our way into the park and of course I was in heaven. Man of my dreams....happiest place on earth...but DBF wasn't as easily convinced. His first thought about the castle "It's not as big as I thought is would be." Our first stop was the fire station where we picked up a "first trip" pin for DBF. Then we had our picture taken on Main St.

So then we rushed off to get some rides in before our lunch ADR at Wave at the Contemporary. So I chose my favorite ride, Jungle Cruise! We got in line and this was the face of a man on his first WDW ride.

Not very encouraging. So we got on the ride and he didn't laugh at all. At first I thought him being a Muppets fan he'd love the dry corny humor! Well, come to find out later, he was just sort of soaking it all in. But I'll get to that. So we move on to Splash Mountain and he slowly starts to come out of his shell. I was singing along, pointing out cool things he might have missed, putting my hand up at all the "fake" drops to trick him further. hehe. Then we ran out of time and headed for Wave. It was a nice walk and we ran into a few people.

Se we headed to Wave. Now as a person with a gluten allergy I figured I'd have a hard time. Tracey my Dreams Unlimited TA had me fill out forms to send to our ADR places but I didn't think they could do much. I've gotten so used to settling because of my allergy. But when we got to Wave it was super slow, the server was really friendly and he brought out the chef. He told me all the things he would do for me and I got really excited. DBF has a reubin wherever he goes, I think he's trying to find the prefect reubin. weirdo. hehe. Anyway i got to have one with him for a change, on g-free bread! And for desert we had a sampler thing with all sorts of different things, a bubble gum gelato(very odd but not bad) little creme brulet. I can't remember much else but we had a blast. I know this restaurant doesn't get much praise but we had a great time and the atmosphere was calm and quiet. Took this after, the waiting area, but it really doesn't show much of how cool the blue room is =D

After we took a spin on the monorail. We really had no reason to use the monorail this trip, we didn't have hopper tickets, but I wanted DBF to experience it. So we rode around and it was a nice way to digest before going crazy in MK! Which we totally did! It was an 11pm EMH night so we stayed till the very last. But I'm getting ahead of myself. First we headed back to see if Pirate's was up and running, which it still wasn't. So we did SFR which I've always loved. And DBF had me take tons of pictures for his neice who loved the movie. We had a guy take our picture for us, but I've got a funny look on my face because I'm trying to explain how the camera works to him.

We spun over to Frontierland and did BTMR, then headed into Liberty Square to do the Hall of Presidents. I think this might have been the turning point for DBF. He's a political junkie and history fanatic. Well he left HOP with a tear in his eye. Then we did HM and headed over to Tomorrowland. Notice we totally skipped Fantasyland. Now at this point DBF started bugging me about getting our Mickey ears. I sorta thought he was joking and I purposefully left Fantasyland till last because I thought it might be too kiddie for him. But he just kept begging! We criss crossed a little, finally catching Pirates then went into Fantasyland to get our ears. Here's where the pixie dust started. The woman who gave us our ears handed us a couple of "Happily ever after pins!" DBF thought this was amazing! he couldn't stop talking about it.

So it was about dinner time and we went to Cosmic Rays. This was fun. I was all set for having a hard time at CS but there was a manager right there who gave me a G-Free menu and followed us through the line to help me order. I got a burger...with a BUN which is just freaking amazing because no non-WDW restaurants ever have G-Free buns. I was so excited about these basic little things. So our server/food preparer chatted with us about our buttons and asked DBF how he was enjoying his first time. She asked what his favorite ride was then told him hers was Carousel of Progress which I hadn't even realized was up and running! I was excited about that. So we headed over there afterwords. A CM asked us if we'd just gotten married to which I said no, just "happy". At this point the two of us were totally on cloud 9. DBF couldn't stop smiling. and I was pretty sure I'd turned my man into a Disney freak and was feeling pretty proud of myself.

Now it was time for Wishes, we'd missed the first parade so we made our way as people were dispersing from that. We got our pictures taken next to the castle.

Then we found a spot next to the water fountains, to wait for Wishes. It was beyond magical. When Jiminy says the part about "sometimes wishes can be granted in the most unexpected ways" I lost it. A little about DBF and I: We met when we were both with someone else, the four of us were all friends. We found each other years after our respective break-ups and somehow we knew we had found "the one". Our Disney trip was only 6 months after we started dating. Anyhow DBF squeezed me tight when Jiminy said that and the tears just started flowing. When the show was over I spun around to see DBF who was holding me from behind and he had this weird look on his face. He kept hugging me then looking like he wanted to say something. Finally I watched him mouth "Will you marry me?" I say mouthed because the exit music for Wishes was so loud where we were that I couldn't hear him!!! So i paused for a moment, deciding if that is really what he asked me. I hugged him and said into his ear "Yes." We just kept hugging and smiling so wide it hurt for the next few minutes. He asked me if I was happy and I said of course. We decided to walk a little before the next parade, back over the bridge on the side of the castle. And DBF confessed that he didn't actually hear me say Yes, and I told him I hadn't actually heard him ask! So we watched the Electrical parade but I think we were both sort of in La La Land at that point. We stopped at the hub to get our first picture as an engaged couple.

Afterwords we made our way down Main St and DF(notice the change over there =P) stopped to get coffee at the bakery while I did some shopping. Then on our way out we picked up our "Just Engaged" Pins at the Fire Station!!! It was the best day of my life.

Waiting for the bus a nice woman was asking us about getting engaged and was telling all her family how we'd just gotten engaged durring Wishes and how cool that was. It was truly a magical day.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Engagement Pictures

So for those of you who are interested in the wedding aspect of this PTR I thought I'd do a little intro into the world of our Wedding preparations. First I'll start out with some pictures from our engagement shoot in October which took place at the Norumbega Inn where we used to be the Innkeepers. I'm sad we're not there anymore but I'm glad we had the chance to have these pictures taken there to document this first stage of our lives together, actually the first place we ever lived in together.

I'll post wedding plans in the next post.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Great pictures.... And great story! It made me cry tears of happiness! I am so glad you found each other and that you were able to turn "dr. Who" into Mr. Disney!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I have to confess. I cried while reading your update about your first day at Disney with your DBF/DF. I was already getting a bit teary (I blame the pregnancy hormones ) just with how happy he was about getting the Mouse ears and the Happily Ever After buttons, but when I read about him proposing I just lost it. So ROMANTIC!!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
Great pictures.... And great story! It made me cry tears of happiness! I am so glad you found each other and that you were able to turn "dr. Who" into Mr. Disney!
Thanks =D I cry whenever I think about it. It is so true that love comes to you when you least expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I have to confess. I cried while reading your update about your first day at Disney with your DBF/DF. I was already getting a bit teary (I blame the pregnancy hormones ) just with how happy he was about getting the Mouse ears and the Happily Ever After buttons, but when I read about him proposing I just lost it. So ROMANTIC!!
Hehehe. I kept thinking he was joking when he was asking me to go get our ears. I hadn't bought ears since I was really little. Truthfully I hate wearing those things. So uncomfortable having that strap under your chin. hehe. Made for some really cute pics though.

And you don't need pregnancy hormones to get teary at an engagement story...we're women, that's what we do. Personally when I need a good cry I watch Disney engagement videos and parents suprising their kids with Disney vacations on youtube.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #43
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Flight and Free Dining!!!

So a few updates. I got my tax return back and made some progress in our vacation.

We decided to fly from Boston/Jetblue(3hr drive from us) on 6am the morning after our wedding(Sept 16th). We really wanted a straight flight and there were none from Maine at all. We will be getting to MCO about 9:30 so we'll have most of that first day in the parks! And our flight out is going to be at 6pm(Sept 26th) so we'll have some extra time the day we leave to spend in the parks too. We will be staying at a hotel in Boston the night of the wedding. This has caused us to push our wedding to earlier in the day. Probably 11am then we can leave for Boston by 5 at the latest. We'll have to get up for the shuttle which leaves at 4am and 5am. I signed up for the 5am but now I'm second guessing how much time we'll need to get through security. So we might be getting up at 3am

Also, Tracey@ Dreams emailed me within a day of Free Dining being announced and signed us up for a 1000$ savings! Thank goodness for that. Between that and my tax return we are doing much better in our payments for our honeymoon.

Next post is going to be about our wedding, I promise. I'm doing the new budget right now to figure out how much I need to be saving. The job loss has really taken a chunk out of our plans but we will persevere. Right now my new job has cut my hours to 25 a week till June which totally blows. DF is going for an interview today so I am crossing fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed that he gets this job!

In other news...my Mom and Aunt are at the MK today and they are having a great time. It's my moms first time being there without my father. She sounds in good spirits. I'm glad she has my Aunt with her. She just called and said she was about to enter Country Bears which was my Dad's favorite so i hope she is okay after that. I know Dad is with her in spirit, watching the Bears and having a good 'ole time. My dad always knew how to have a good time in WDW. He always rode the scary rides with me when mom wouldn't =P
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #44
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Love that your tax return came in and made a dent in the amount owed! Free dining is great! I am glad that they released it for the days of your trip! I need to make a budget to figure out how much I need to save for my upcoming trip! I need to get cracking!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #45
suorkaterina
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
Love that your tax return came in and made a dent in the amount owed! Free dining is great! I am glad that they released it for the days of your trip! I need to make a budget to figure out how much I need to save for my upcoming trip! I need to get cracking!
We got all our dining reservations last week. so exciting. I'll post them soon along with my itinerary.

I raised our budget for this trip to double what I've paid in the past. I've never been more than 7 days and our first trip was only 5(way too short!) So 10 days will be like heaven. We aren't doing anything extra really except for water parks and MNSSHP but still those extra days add up. If I'd known we are going to lose our jobs I might not have gone for 10 days but, I'm determined to keep our trip as is! So that means the wedding keeps shrinking. Ah well, as long as we get to say our I Do's that's all I care about. Then we can spend 10 whole day starting our marriage with fun and relaxation. Woohoo!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: