Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #31
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
We skipped the dessert buffet after pirate night due to my DD (7) completely crashing on the dance floor and falling asleep right in the middle of all the action. I am glad we did because I really didn't need a 1000 calorie chocolate cake at midnight before going to sleep!

Katherine
I hear you, but I see a dessert line in front of me and I loose my reasoning. Enjoyed reading your live report. Am glad your concierge turned out to be good.
narsibvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
Jcmh
Mouseketeer

Great trip report! Thanks so much for the details on las caletas. We've been on the fence about it but I think we're leaning towards it now.

I see you had early seating. What time was early seating on your cruise? And did your kids order off the kids menu or the regular one? If you did kids meals, can you remember how quickly they were delivered? One of mine has zero patience in crowded large restaurants so I'm wondering how long we'll need to be prepared to entertain him (and what time we should book nursery hours so we can drop them off and enjoy the rest of our dinner!)

TIA!
Jcmh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #33
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmh View Post
Great trip report! Thanks so much for the details on las caletas. We've been on the fence about it but I think we're leaning towards it now.

I see you had early seating. What time was early seating on your cruise? And did your kids order off the kids menu or the regular one? If you did kids meals, can you remember how quickly they were delivered? One of mine has zero patience in crowded large restaurants so I'm wondering how long we'll need to be prepared to entertain him (and what time we should book nursery hours so we can drop them off and enjoy the rest of our dinner!)

TIA!
5:45 was the main seating. Our kids ordered only out of the kids menu. All they had was mac and cheese and pizzas. Kids meal were usually the first to come, but it did take some time. Kids though had their drinks and they are usually occupied, so it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about the nursery times, as ours always stayed with us for dinner.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
NicholsFam
Earning My Ears

Love the report! Thanks for all of the good info!!!
NicholsFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Jcmh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsibvl View Post
5:45 was the main seating. Our kids ordered only out of the kids menu. All they had was mac and cheese and pizzas. Kids meal were usually the first to come, but it did take some time. Kids though had their drinks and they are usually occupied, so it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about the nursery times, as ours always stayed with us for dinner.
thanks so much!
Jcmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the same room before (hopefully, I'm not repeating myself) on the Magic. We loved the convenience to topsiders up the secret staircase. Sounds like you all are having fun. I hope your DW got better.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #37
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
We stayed in the same room before (hopefully, I'm not repeating myself) on the Magic. We loved the convenience to topsiders up the secret staircase. Sounds like you all are having fun. I hope your DW got better.
Yeah, the biggest advantage of these aft rooms are the staircase to beach blanket buffet. DW got better after the first Cabo day, which reminds me, I need to get back on track with my updates.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #38
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Thank you for a great report.

May I ask, how did you pay for the CD at the dolphin center? Cash? Credit/Debit? I am trying to figure out how much cash to bring off the ship...
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Twin cities of Cabo and San Jose

After a hectic routine the previous day, it was back to getting up early in the morning for the second Cabo day. Today’s itinerary was one that I was specifically uncomfortable about. We had booked the Coastal highlights tour and that lasted from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm. The last tender back to the ship was at 12:30 pm.

After an early breakfast we headed down to “Studio sea” at 7:30. Soon we were on the tender back to the docks. This time around though, we got one of those double level catamarans that felt more stable than the regular tenders.

Our family in the tender and parting shots of the Wonder.

From there we were given a brief talk about the sights we were going to be visiting and the need for keeping up with the time as we are cutting it real close to the last tender time. Also the thing to note, every one of these places had bathroom facilities. We got onto an air conditioned coach and drove for half an hour. There were multiple coaches for different groups each having its own route.

Our first stop was the glass blowing factory. If there is one place worth the visit it is this place. We were simply amazed at the skill of these glass blowers. They first made an elephant and then made a spear, all this in less than 15 minutes. There is the usual shopping area within this factory, where you could buy different ornaments and decorations.

Our next stop was an Italian restaurant with a view to die for. We could pick up a beer or any other drink from here that was included in the price of the tour. This place had seating with a view of the Ocean, the port and our Wonder in the yonder .

Our next stop was a bit more of a drive to the city of San Jose. The drive itself was scenic and all along the coast. One of the things I felt was the sea was much more calmer in these areas. The coach dropped us off in the downtown. We got to see the mission church and the town plaza.

We finally stopped at the cactus garden where we got to see different types of cactus.

In my opinion this trip was too short to do justice to any of the stops. I felt there was not enough time to get enough information, that we could really appreciate any of these places.

We were back just on time for the last tender (maybe it was waiting for us). The kids got a kick out of seeing the anchor being pulled up even as our tender was nearing the ship. In the ship it was a mad scramble to the beach blanket buffet for lunch as it was almost time for it to be shut down.
I am glad we decided to rush to the beach blanket buffet that day. We were in the middle of our lunch, when I heard a loud splash from near-by. I turned around and what do I see, a school of dolphins following the ship out of Cabo. Soon a crowd gathered to see these dolphins pop in and out of the water line. They put up quite a show. Even as I am typing this, I am wondering why in the world I didn’t go for my camera. We certainly did have it with us as we headed straight to the BBB after the trip and yet, it never did occur to me that I should be filming this. Sorry guys, maybe next time . I even remember people taking photos and movies of it with their ipads and yet, our camera lay safely in our bags.

After lunch it was nap time for DD. I sat out in the balcony to watch the ship speed away from Cabo. DS and I then decided we would go up to the sports deck and play ping pong while DW decided she was going to get some rest along with DD. We played ping pong for a while and then DS had a sudden change of heart, he wanted to go to the goofy pool. So the pool it was, we watched a movie(can’t remember what it was now ) till it was time for dinner and then headed back to the room.

Today was the semi-formal night at Tritons for us. So we all got dressed up and headed down to Tritons. Dinner was followed by photos in the atrium. DD was thrilled to take a few pictures with Minnie Mouse (Never mind the fact she already has 10 of those from this trip !!!).

After dinner, it was show time and today’s show as Disney Dreams. The story of this show needs no explanation as everybody has already seen it. I was seeing it for the second time and yet it never ceases to amaze me the technology that goes behind these shows. The stage directors need a special mention for the sheer number of things they manage to bring to the limited space in the stage.

With that our day ended and the realization that we have only one more day left in our trip .

Note: We did finally receive the Las Caletas photos from Vallarta Adventures. Here is a sample of what was in it. There were not very many photos in it and I am not sure if it was worth $35 but we didn’t take part in any of the activities either, so that could be one of the reasons.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #40
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
Thank you for a great report.

May I ask, how did you pay for the CD at the dolphin center? Cash? Credit/Debit? I am trying to figure out how much cash to bring off the ship...
Credit card. They accept master/visa and Amex I think.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #41
godalejunior
DIS Veteran

When you did Las Celatas were you given the option to do a sea lion encounter? I have read on other cruise line boards this was an option....Your trip report is excellent!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #42
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by godalejunior View Post
When you did Las Celatas were you given the option to do a sea lion encounter? I have read on other cruise line boards this was an option....Your trip report is excellent!
Even, I had heard about the sea lion encounter, but I am almost sure it didn't happen during our trip. It could be because the seas were rough that day or maybe they have done away with it altogether.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #43
alligood2000
Earning My Ears

Wonderful TR!

Thank you for this great TR. We are cruising in Feb. and are first time cruisers. I am feeling quite nervous about it, and your report has been fabulous.

One question. We are also planning on Las Caletas. In the description it implies that the kids adventure park is included. Do you have to pay extra for the kids to participate? What, exactly, is included with the cost of the excursion? We have six children (five of them very active boys), so we need to know what to plan on in terms of activities.

Thank you!

-Allison
alligood2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligood2000 View Post
Thank you for this great TR. We are cruising in Feb. and are first time cruisers. I am feeling quite nervous about it, and your report has been fabulous.

One question. We are also planning on Las Caletas. In the description it implies that the kids adventure park is included. Do you have to pay extra for the kids to participate? What, exactly, is included with the cost of the excursion? We have six children (five of them very active boys), so we need to know what to plan on in terms of activities.

Thank you!

-Allison
I not exactly sure of what all is included, but I believe the zip line , the clay pottery class and maybe even the kayak. I am not 100% sure though,as all we did was spend time on the beach. Before we knew it, it was lunch time
Old 01-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #45
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - Day of indulgence for the Adults

The day started like every other day, coffee in the morning out in the balcony. We didn’t have a whole lot planned, we had decided to take it really easy today. We had our Palo bunch booked for 11:00 and so DW and I wasn’t looking forward for breakfast. Even as we were having our coffee we noticed how calm the sea was. The day turned out to be the best of the days in terms of sunshine and the sea.

We took the kids upstairs to the BBB for their breakfast, while we had more coffee there…sitting out in the open with the sun already up and about, we just didn’t feel like getting done with our breakfast. We had to though, eventually, we had to get ready for our brunch. In our room, we called up the kid’s club to check with them whether the kids would get lunch while they were there. Apparently all you need to do is let them know the kid’s would have their lunch there and about any allergies etc.

We dropped the kids in the club and headed upstairs to Palo. We were greeted by hristo who took us to our table that had a gorgeous view outside. Our brunch started off with a mimosa for DW and a champagne for myself.

Right in the middle of our brunch, as if in Cue, Hristo points outside and goes “Those dolphins want to say ‘hi’ to you guys”. Sure enough, a school of dolphins were having a darn good time just by the side of the ship. To think they chose right then to put up such a show, couldn’t have asked for a better timing. Again, we were so mesmerized by the show that we completely forgot our camera.

Brunch just as the dinner was exquisite and at the end of it all we had to roll out of palo. Seriously, Palo should really look into using one of those portal that transport you directly to your room, will save people a lot of pain. Ours was just one floor down, I am really sorry for those who had to do more levels post-palo experience.

On our way out, DW suggested we take a walk around to burn of the calories and eventually we saw ourselves in front of the Vista spa(Don’t ask how, just blame it on the brunch). Now, is a good time for a bit of a flash back. Our last cruise, DW wanted to get a massage appointment and kept trying from day 1. Finally she managed to get one for the last sea day. Having gotten one, she forced me too into it. I have never, yes never in my life, before have had a massage appointment. So without a clue as to what to expect, I booked for a hot stone massage. DW went for a massage/facial combo, something she felt she wasn’t too impressed about. She felt it was no different from the other massages she got and it cost more. I, on the other hand was in seventh heaven. It was so relaxing that I snoozed away in the middle of the massage.

With that experience in mind, we decided to get a couple’s hot stone massage this time. The only time that was available was the last appointment that day. We decided to go ahead and take it. With that we went back to the club to pick up the kids.

DD and DW decided to take a nap, while DS was still bubbling with energy. So I decided to take him over to the sports complex. We saw kids involved in dodge ball. DD instead wanted to play ping pong so that’s what we did for a good hour or so.

When we came back DW and DD were up. One of the things in DD’s to-do list was to spend time in the mickey pool. So DW decided to take DD to the mickey pool and I took DS to the goofy’s.

Back from the pools, I got busy filling up the customs forms and setting up the tips. Soon it was dinner time, our schedule was animator’s palate. On our way out, I sought Thomas to hand him his tips envelope. At the restaurant, I handed out the envelopes to the dinning team. The only envelope that was left was for the concierge. Immediately after dinner we had to go for our massage appointment, we had only just enough time to drop of the kids in the club and scurry over to the vista spa. We knew it would be pretty tight so we had taken care of the necessary paperwork in the morning while booking for the appointment. The massage didn’t disappoint. It was DW’s turn to snooze off. The only gripe I had was continuous banging of the balcony door in the villa as the ship gained speed for the night. Since it was the last appointment we were offered a facial along with this massage for half the price. DW took it and she stayed put while I went back to pick up the kids.

From the club, I decided to take the kids for the “Till we meet again” show. It was a bit late and the show had already started, but we decided to give it a try in any case. Just as the show was getting over, DW called us up and wanted to know where we were.

Back in the room, we put the kids to bed and got busy getting the suitcases packed. I called up the concierge team to check whether mike would come around so that I could hand over the tips envelope. I was told, mike had already taken the day off and I could leave the envelope with the customer service. By the time we got the suite cases packed and ready, we were really tired. We dropped the suite cases outside right at the last minute and climbed into our beds. I was contemplating ordering in the breakfast for the next morning, but DW wanted to go to the restaurant one last time.

Thus ended our blissful 7 days on the Wonder.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: