Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Happy100
DIS Veteran

love the report and question

Love your report keep it coming!!!

Question-Was it noisey in that suite from BBB...in the morning, during day or evenings???

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
Happy100
DIS Veteran

Forgot one more question

Sorry forgot did you feel more motion in the back???

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #18
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100 View Post
Love your report keep it coming!!!

Question-Was it noisey in that suite from BBB...in the morning, during day or evenings???
I think i heard some noise only one day out of the seven, it was afternoon time, i guess they were clearing up after lunch. Luckily we heard nothing at night. Either that or we were so far gone lights out that we heard nothing.
narsibvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100 View Post
Sorry forgot did you feel more motion in the back???
I have nothing to compare to, as both times we had aft rooms. That being said, the motion was nothing that bothered us.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Day 4 Las Caletas – Castaway cay of the west (Almost)
Today was the Puerto Vallarta day. Our excursion to Las Caletas started off at 7:30 AM. This meant we had to get up early in the morning. I got a wakeup call from mickey at five. As has become the norm, the first thing I did was open the balcony door to peek out. We were still on open waters with the lights of Puerto Vallarta in the horizon. By the time I woke up DW and got ready, heard the familiar ring of room service. Taking the coffee out to the balcony, we got see the ship enter the port. We then got busy packing the stuff needed for the excursion and getting the kids ready.
Puerto Vallarta in the morning.

HAL Oosterdam was there to give us company, not a bad ship, but along side the Wonder, it cut a sorry figure .

Our meet up place was in Studio Sea. Everybody had to have their excursion tickets, the world to the key card and adults needs to have a photo identity. For our excursion, they handed out towels. People doing the Las Caletas excursion remember to pick up towels before you leave. There are no towels at the beach.
The Puerto Vallarta adventures boat was next door in the adjacent dock. Within minutes we had settled down and were off to Las Caletas.
We settled ourselves on the top deck right in front of the captain. The sun was just beginning to rise and it was pleasant. The crew then came around, offering breakfast, coffee, OJ and signing up people for different activities. We tried to get DS to do the zipline but he was in no mood for that. I personally wanted to get a massage but figured I will get there and see how everything else is going. A good decision indeed, once on the beach, we had time for nothing else.
When we did the Bahamas , the highlight of the trip, like for every other Disney cruiser was Castaway cay. The kids loved the time they spent there and would often bring it up in conversation even months after our trip was over. There biggest disappointment was that they wouldn’t go to CC on the mickey boat again this trip. So, it was a no-brainer that we had to do Las Caletas. It remained to be seen whether Las Caletas would measure up to the expectations of our family.
It was a good an hour sailing from the port to Las Caletas, but we hardly felt the time. Hats off to the PV adventures CM’s they kept us entertained right through the trip. On the way in, they dealt with a bit of history, information about the coast and some entertainment. Carlos the main CM kept us in raptures right throughout.

Sights along the cost of PV

Before we knew it, we had arrived at Las Caletas. Even as the boat neared the dock, parrots flew over our boat welcoming us to the beach. The entire population of LC lined up against the coast, welcoming us. The sea was a bit choppy and it took the captain a couple of tries before he could dock the boat. My first impression was that the beach was too small when compared to CC. Then again, it is not like the entire ship was going to get offloaded here and the size proved to be just fine.

On getting off the boat, they offered us breakfast burritos, the likes of which, I have never had. The fast food variety of breakfast burritos that we get back home are a far cry from those that we go here(Or I was simply famished…).
We walked all the way to the farthest end of the beach, pulled up a few beach chairs and settled down. We had a bar attender at our heels even before we settled down. It was still early in the morning for a drink, but who is keeping track . It was a day of tequila sunrises for me.
We all stripped down to our swim wear, the kids got busy making sand castles while DW and I waded into the water. The water was cold as we stepped in and it took a minute or two for our bodies to get used to it. The sea was choppy and we could feel quite a bit of undercurrent. Not being good swimmers, we were very careful getting in.
The kids at the beach.

We saw the people with the kayaks get out into the ocean. There are quite a few floats for people to use. The PV adventure photographers were everywhere. They had quite an eye for catching the action on the beach. I got talking to one of the photographers and she claimed, it is rare to see the sea this choppy around here. One of the kayaks that went out was finding it difficult to control and the PV adventure guides had to rush a boat to help them.
The thing about the pics though, it costs $35 and they would post the photos to your house address. Its been around 10 days and we still haven't received the pics.

Choppy or not, we were having a very good time on the beach. The sand here was very different from what you would find in CC or other Caribbean beaches. It was coarse, heavy and found its way all over your swimwear. Once the day got a bit warm, the kids joined us in the water. We had a really good time squatting on the beach close to the water line and waiting for one of those big waves to hit us. Soon we had quite a few people joining us in this routine. One of those waves got too big for DD and she immediately called it quits.
Soon it was time for the nature walk. We got dried, dressed up and Carlos the chief entertainer on the boat was our guide. The nature walk was short, we got to see a few animals. I wasn’t very impressed.
Pics from the nature walk.

By the time we were done, it was lunchtime. We got ourselves a table close to ocean. The buffet was limited but good, I had my nth tequila sunrise to go with my lunch. DW doesn’t agree with my opinion on the buffet and till this day, maintains that lunch was the cause of a day long suffering that ensued for her during the trip.
On our way back, the crew again got busy entertaining us. This time, they went all out, with their wigs and make up. They called themselves the “Backstreet boys of Puerto Vallarta” and mocked renditions of songs that includes those by MJ, Prince, Madonna and of course The Back Street Boys. Their performance was simply hilarious and was a big part of making that excursion truly a remarkable one.

So was Las Caletas comparable to Castaway Cay? In my opinion, it was a good substitute but it would come second only to CC.
Back on the ship, DW wanted to get some rest and the kids needed a nap. Today was the day of the concierge reception at Cadilac Lounge. After a short rest, we got ready and went down to the lounge. They had an assortment of drinks and snacks. The fried jalapeno biscuit was to die for. During the Captain’s gala night, standing in the line for the photo with the captain, we were offered Appletini. This was my first Appletini ever and I was hooked on to the sour taste that goes with it. So, this was the drink I ordered when we were at Palo dinner. When the bar attendant came around at the lounge during the reception, sure enough I ordered an Appletini. Goofy was soon there, and DD got busy. One thing I learned from this experience, it is near impossible to shoot goofy properly when he is being….yeah…goofy. I tried, and you can judge for yourself. Yeah,blame it on goofy.

Mike, our concierge was hardly to be seen and we didn’t bother. We got talking to the first officer Walden for a bit before the kids got too interested in the karaoke mike and the piano and we had to call it quits before they caused some damage.
It was back to the room for us and a bit of a rest for DW, she was certainly coming down with something. It was Animators palate day for us that night and it felt like déjà vu. It was during our Animators palate day during our last trip, DW was not feeling good and we had to cut short our dinner and take the food back to our room. Luckily this time, she pulled through the end.

Anybody who knows me, know how much I crave for Rice. So when Balwan offered to get us Indian food at parrot key the next day, I jumped on that offer. I liked it so much that I went Indian all the way for the rest of the trip.

After dinner, we headed back to our room. I wanted to call it a day, but DS wouldn’t have any of it. He wanted to see the Toy story musical. We had already done that once, but he was not taking no for an answer. DW felt she was not ready to hit the bed either as she had taken a nap in the afternoon between the excursion and the reception. Also, she had promised DS she would get him something in the ship to remind him of this trip. So she offered to take him down to treasure ketch and accompany him to the musical, while I put DD to sleep. That was just fine by me. So I put DD to bed and once she was asleep I went out to the balcony just as the lights of PV disappeared in the yonder.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Great report! I love the links to new posts on the first page. Everyone should do that, it cuts down on my having to read posts like this that aren't the trip report!

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #22
suzanneaz
Mouseketeer

Great report!!! Sorry that Mike was a dud. Hope he will improve for future guests..
suzanneaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #23
Raeryan50
Earning My Ears

Loving your trip report.

I was also on the Wonder Dec 4 with family and friends. We had a fantastic time, it was a great cruise.

::Me DH :DD16 DD14

Raeryan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
PaigerPoo
AKA PixieDustPaige

Loving your report so far! Was the zip lining at Las Caletas an extra charge and if so, how much? We were considering the Zip Line Excursion, but if there is a smaller on at LasCaletas AND the beach trip as well...no brainer!
Happy holidays!!

Disney Magic March 2012
Disney Magic Oct. 2009
Disney World Oct. 2009
Disney World Oct. 2007
Disney Wonder Oct. 2001
Disney World 4 Parks in 4 Days! Sept 2001
PaigerPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigerPoo View Post
Loving your report so far! Was the zip lining at Las Caletas an extra charge and if so, how much? We were considering the Zip Line Excursion, but if there is a smaller on at LasCaletas AND the beach trip as well...no brainer!
Happy holidays!!
Now that you ask me, I am not sure if the zip linning in Las Caletas was extra charge, only because DS was not interested in it. Btw, it is only for kids, not for adults. So if you are looking into zip linning, then Las caletas is not for you.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Day 5 - Beaches, Dolphins and pirates to boot

Today was the Cabo San Lucas day. Half our trip was done, and from there on it was countdown to the finish. Unlike yesterday, there was no need for us to get up early in the morning. Our first item on the list was the character breakfast at 8:00. Having my usual coffee in the morning, I saw the ship pull within reach of the port and drop anchor right by the side of the famous arch. This gave us a fabulous view of the arch and the beach.

Our old friend “Oosterdam” had arrived before us. The tendering had already started for the guests of Oosterdam. Our character breakfast was at parrot key and we were there just on time. Balwan and Jermy made wizard hats and Minnie ears for the kids and a pirate scarf for DW, and for me they got me shrek ears. It felt so appropriate that I wondered whether I should retain it. The usual parade of characters happened that kept the kids fully occupied.

On our way back from the breakfast we stopped by promenade lounge. It was family dance time and needless to say, DD had to take part. She ruled the floor for the next one hour sometimes swinging to the 70’s, sometimes breaking into disco and sometime simply going free style. There was just one other kid that was there to give her company.

Our dolphin encounter was scheduled for 3:00 pm and we had absolutely nothing to do till then. The day outside was fabulous and DW and I felt it would be a shame to let such a nice day slip by. After the family dance time, we walked over to the guest services and enquired about what options we have before 3:00. There were still slots open for the beach adventure that would start at 10:30 but we would have to cut short our stay and leave early for the dolphin encounter. As about any excursion we could do on our own, the CM didn’t know a whole lot. We decided we would tender to the dock and whinge it on our own from there on. This was probably one of the best decisions we took.

Sometimes everything falls into place when you have absolutely no plans, and that is exactly what happened. The tendering to the dock was a bit of a wait. I was surprised that there was no priority tendering for concierge. Eventually we got into a catamaran and reached the dock. Once on the dock, we got a coupon for $2 on the water taxi to Mango deck. We were told to get to Office A7 but the minute we stepped out it was utter chaos. Even for us who are used to the kind of haggling it was a bit intimidating. Eventually though we were able to spot office A7.

A lot had been said about using the water taxi and how dangerous it can be. So we did have our reservation, but figured since there are so many of them doing it, we might as well try it. Within 5 minutes we were at Medano beach in front of Mango Deck. True to all the reports, getting off the water taxi needed some expertise. The kids and the bags were hauled off by the taxi guys to the safety of the beach. When DW got ready to jump out, one of the waves hit the taxi hard, throwing her off balance. This was on a day when the sea was at its calm best. One can only imagine how hard it could be when the sea is choppy.

Once on the beach, we decided to walk the length of it before deciding to settle down somewhere. I would have to say, doing all the research about the different restaurant was very useful. These restaurants are so close by that you could easily miss them, if you didn’t know they were supposed to be there. We walked all the way to “Tabasco” and walked back. Finally the empty lounge chairs right on the beach and the relatively calm water in front of the “Medano beach club” won it for them. We settled down on the lounge chairs, there was plenty of lounges and umbrellas to boot.

The sun, the beach, the sight of the wonder and Oosterdam close by, it was paradise on earth.

There were two other families and with us and we filled up the lounges on the beach. The kids as usual got busy building sand castles while I decided to take a dip in the water. DW was still not feeling 100%. We spend the better part of the afternoon on the beach, we had our lunch and I got busy with a bucket of carona while DW had a mango margarita. As expected right throughout we were bothered by sellers pushing there things at our face. After lunch we even managed to take a very short siesta.

When we were having our lunch, there were a couple enquiring about vegetarian options with the manager of “Medano Beach Club”, he directed them to us for a feedback as my wife had ordered the vegetarian fajitas. Since we gave a good feedback, he offered to give us a bucket of carona extra.

Soon it was time to head back for the dolphin encounter. The manager pulled up a water taxi organizer next door and told him to take us back for no charge. Again, getting into the taxi from the beach was a bit of an issue, if it was my wife who had trouble getting out, it was my turn now getting into the taxi. We were asked to get back to the security area on the docks for the excursion and that is what we did. After a brief wait a group of 10 of us were led to the Cabo adventures building close by to the port.

Once inside, we showed our tickets and they handed us appropriate sized swim wear. The bathroom where we changed to our swim wear, also had lockers. We stored our belonging here and got back to the waiting area, while the previous show was getting over. The waiting area was an open space right underneath the pools, it had a lot of comfortable chairs and umbrellas for shade. Once the show got over, the organizer came over to us and split us into different groups. Our group was doing the dolphin encounter, while the other one was doing the dolphin swim. They then handed us towels and life jackets which had to be worn on top of the swim wear. Once on the pool we were instructed to leave any item or jewelry that we were wearing like watches, earring etc in a plastic bag before we stepped in.

For the dolphin encounter we were asked to step on a platform that a knee deep in water. First we were asked to sit on the edge of the pool while we were introduced to the dolphin, a talk on the safety measures and signs to follow ensued. They every individual in the group had their time with the dolphin. You could pet her, kiss her, dance with her and feed her. Each group was assigned a photographer and she was merrily clicking away to glory. It was quite an experience being that up close and personal with a dolphin.

Once everybody had their time with the dolphin, there was a small show. After that we were asked to take a bath. We handed over the life jackets and the towel right there and changed from our swim wear in the bathrooms.
After changing over, we headed to the photo center to check out the photos, there were quite a few of those involving us in the group. We figured we wouldn’t be able to pick and choose, so we bought the entire CD with four prints of our choice. The package was expensive but it was fully worth it. The pictures with the dolphins were from that package.
By now we were running late for the tender, so we headed back to the docks and took the waiting tender, it was probably the last one out. We were soon back in our room after a very tiring day, and the day was not over yet. If at all I would like to see once change in this itinerary, it was today. A full day of Cabo followed by the pirate night and festivities was just too much for one day. In our case we felt it even more cause, DW was not feeling too well. Back on the ship, DW and DD promptly retired for a nap. I had to force DS to take a nap as he is not used to anymore and if he didn’t ,I knew he wouldn’t be able to enjoy the pirate night.

DW, when she woke up decided she had enough for the day. We called up Mike for some cold medicines and some bottles of water. This was the third time, we were requesting for water. I have heard some concierge would replace the water bottles without asking, in our case we had to call him up every time. When we did call up for water though, he was quick to get it for us.

Also, we decided to have dinner in our rooms today. When I talked to Mike, I enquired whether it would be possible to bring the special Indian food that balwan had promised for us today to our rooms. Mike said he would get in touch with the head server and get it over to our rooms. One hour passed and still there was no sign of food. I called up mike again and enquired when it would be delivered to our room. He was surprised that it was not delivered already and he said he will look into it. Half an hour later, we got a call from Balwan and he told us, since he got the request late and it is already time for the late dinning he would bring it up in half an hour. We were cutting it close to the pirate party. I am not sure whose fault this was but another one of the things that didn’t go right. In any case, dinner arrived within half an hour and we hurried to get the kids ready for the pirate party.

DW wanted to take rest, so I took the kids to the pirate night. Again, the pirate night was one of those things that I have already seen, so I was not too much into it. The kids though had a lot of fun. Who wouldn’t want to see the mouse zip line from the funnel . The fireworks show was good, and as usual a few other ships were nearby.

The dessert buffet followed the pirate show. I couldn’t help feeling the number of desserts were lesser then the one we had the last time around. We got what we wanted and walked back to our rooms. DD had enough and she promptly hit the bed, even after all that sugar, DS not so. It was an option of seeing the Pirates of the Caribbean I at the open screen or see the latest installment on 3D at the bueno vista theatre. The theatre won and we headed down to Deck 5 for the movie. The movie had already started but there were hardly any crowd. We saw the movie for an hour and I sensed DS dozing off. I figured we have had enough fun for one day and headed back to our room. As it had been every day, we fell asleep before our heads hit the pillow.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #27
cnj
Mouseketeer

Great report! We are on this cruise in 3 months and we have a one bedroom suite booked. I cannot wait! Sounds like your family had a blast (and I too, crave rice all the time!).

Jenni
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #28
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine

We skipped the dessert buffet after pirate night due to my DD (7) completely crashing on the dance floor and falling asleep right in the middle of all the action. I am glad we did because I really didn't need a 1000 calorie chocolate cake at midnight before going to sleep!

Katherine

SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeryan50 View Post
Loving your trip report.

I was also on the Wonder Dec 4 with family and friends. We had a fantastic time, it was a great cruise.
It sure was a time of our lives
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
Great report! We are on this cruise in 3 months and we have a one bedroom suite booked. I cannot wait! Sounds like your family had a blast (and I too, crave rice all the time!).

Jenni
Hope you have a wonderfull cruise, my fellow rice-craver

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: