Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Will this impact Disney Policy on Photography in the Parks?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/24/showbi...ney/index.html

After reading this, my first thought was "Great, I wonder how soon they'll ban DSLRs in the parks".

Thoughts?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
BillyBuff
Got Ears?

There's a short clip found here: http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/22/...ks-permission/
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Great, that's all we need!
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

As technology advances and cameras keep getting smaller and even IPhones are doubling as cameras, I don't think Disney has any choice as to what people film. If someone would choose to film and try to put the movie out for profit then I think Disney will sue and should sue for the rights of filming.

Part of the allure of Disney is to create/record memories right?
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
DonaldDuck80
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike
As technology advances and cameras keep getting smaller and even IPhones are doubling as cameras, I don't think Disney has any choice as to what people film. If someone would choose to film and try to put the movie out for profit then I think Disney will sue and should sue for the rights of filming.

Part of the allure of Disney is to create/record memories right?
I agree. People should be able to capture their memories of their trips to the park, especially people like us who are hundreds of miles away.
I also agree that if someone tries to make a production of that taping to make money Disney has the right to sue for the rights.
DonaldDuck80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

My local six flags (stl) has signes everywhere. if they catch you taking pictures or video on a ride, you will be banned from the park for a year.

We live very close to this place, and thats the only reason we go. To me it's like a travelling carnival compared to disney. But they are very strict.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Only time will tell what Disney's reaction will be. If I had to predict the future, I would say that there will be some restrictions added, but not necessarily because of this incident. The proliferation of DSLR's and the subsequent lack of photography etiquette, IMO, will be the cause. Since I have been going to Disney parks, I have seen more and more lack of courtesy.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

That's what I thought when I saw that, too.

However, I don't think Disney could possibly ban DSLRs in their parks. You can't tell someone that they can't bring their camera to Disney World. As long as people aren't profiting and are using their photos/video for personal reasons, it's not a problem.

Disney could sue if they're profiting off of the film. I know someone who wrote and published a book on quilting. She referred to a store as "The Disney World of Fabric," and Disney sued her for using their name without permission. She had to give them a percentage of her profits.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I don't see them banning dslr's anytime in the near future, but they may keep a closer eye on people with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa
Only time will tell what Disney's reaction will be. If I had to predict the future, I would say that there will be some restrictions added, but not necessarily because of this incident. The proliferation of DSLR's and the subsequent lack of photography etiquette, IMO, will be the cause. Since I have been going to Disney parks, I have seen more and more lack of courtesy.
Agreed! If I remember correctly they do have some restrictions on tripods. You are allowed to bring them in, but if you are being disruptive there is a chance a CM will have a talk with you. Personally I really don't have a problem with them doing the same thing with DSLR's as long as they don't abuse it. I don't want to see them kick someone out of the park, unless the case is extreme, but maybe they could set aside some lockers that they use for offenders. For the camera not the person

The most obvious case of lack of etiquette I saw was at Epcot's World Showcase. As we were walking through, we saw someone shooting photos of a family, which is fine, but they had two people (either side) directing people away from the shoot I'd have no problem with a CM taking some sort of action with people like this.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
Disney could sue if they're profiting off of the film. I know someone who wrote and published a book on quilting. She referred to a store as "The Disney World of Fabric," and Disney sued her for using their name without permission. She had to give them a percentage of her profits.
They are indeed profiting off the film. Whether they can sue or not.... I'm sure it's an issue being addressed by their lawyers.
As a lawyer with some intellectual property training, I can tell you it's not a black and white issue. There is a good shot that it all falls squarely within "fair use." (Though I'd have to actually see the film to be sure... including whether there are any photo policies listed on entry tickets).

My guess about changes to policy -- I think they will just be a bit more vigilant about security breaking up anything that looks like a professional video shoot, including a disguised professional. They may undertake efforts to ban "professional" equipment.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Regardless of the legal implications what they did is a huge ethical no no. I'm sure they thought that as artists they'd be protected. Given the precedent websites and publications have set with using photographs taken on Disney property for non-personal use and the normal protections given to artists I'm very interested to see if Disney does prosecute and if they are successful. And profit doesn't matter here, especially if they start talking in terms of art which is the tack I could see the film makers taking since they are showing at film festivals.

I don't think Disney will change their overall policy of photography in the parks. But I can see them clamping down on non-personal usage of images taken in the parks.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
NLD
DIS Veteran

Wasn't anyone else's first thought, "Man, I want to see this film!" No? Just me who's a little warped?

Seriously though I think it sounds interesting.

But I also hope it doesn't result in a crack-down on "professional" camera equipment.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLD View Post
Wasn't anyone else's first thought, "Man, I want to see this film!" No? Just me who's a little warped?

Seriously though I think it sounds interesting.

But I also hope it doesn't result in a crack-down on "professional" camera equipment.
I was interested in the concept of it being filmed secretly in Disney World, but the plot sounds shady. The clip on the website is also really creepy... some middle-aged man gawking at young women in bikinis. Strange.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
NLD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was interested in the concept of it being filmed secretly in Disney World, but the plot sounds shady. The clip on the website is also really creepy... some middle-aged man gawking at young women in bikinis. Strange.
Didn't watch the clip so missed the gawking bit. The concept as described in the article sounded interesting. But we do tend to like over-the-top, surreal films in our house.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who found it creepy! I don't really know what it is about the clip as, to be honest, it wasn't anything I could pinpoint at face value from the clip, but yeah, didn't sit nicely with me either
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: