DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I guess I wonder why they don't go back to what they did in the 80s-check for some form of ID that you're staying on-site, or are otherwise eligible. Back in the 80s, we were trying to board transportation to FW late at night. They asked for our room key, and DD had forgotten hers. Back in those days, Disney sometimes actually said "No" to guests, and she was denied boarding. You know, we didn't get P****d at WDW and have gone back MANY times, but always have our room key!
It used to be that the resort buses required resort ID, and Disney provided park to park and park to DTD transportation. But that stopped in the very early 1990s. Also, Disney has gone to a generic room key, rather than each resort having an easily identifiable logo-ed room card for each resort.

I don't know why they actually changed the system, it seemed to work fine back then.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

There is a path that leads to DTD. One solution would be to build a tall fence and a gate system where you need a pass to get thru. It doesn't have to be manned. I have seen gates that have this and they are impossible to jump.

Here's one

http://www.boonedam.us/securityaccess/traseries.asp
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #18
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

ya know what might make this work... RFID tags in wristbands (or keys/tickets) that you have to have on you to get into the parks, on the busses, etc. that expire once your vacation is over. Could be implemented into the Next Gen project stuff that has been rumored
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #19
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

RFID is not necessary to make such a system workable. Swiping your current resort ID could work. However, safety regulations would likely not allow an RFID or card requirement to go FROM SSR to DTD, though it could work for entry back into SSR. So that would only solve half the problem. And there is the non-expiring multi-day tickets to consider. They could have transportation access for years on a single multi-day non-expiring ticket. And it would not stop the people staying at a DtD area hotel from access with their multi-day tickets. Remember that there are stores and restaurants (as well as spas) at every resort that are open to the general public, staying onsite or not. It is not in their best financial interest to severely restrict access.

Many are privately operated non-Disney entities that surely pay a fortune to Disney in rent for the location, including the spas and hair salons.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #20
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Bus service is (or should be) augmented to meet the actual demand. Standing room only and full buses happens to a similar degree at all other resorts.

"Resorts" contract with "Disney Transport" for bus service with the cost based on room count and capacity.

(Am I mistaken?)

Last edited by seashoreCM; 12-13-2011 at 07:56 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
Bus service is (or should be) augmented to meet the actual demand. Standing room only and full buses happens to a similar degree at all other resorts.

"Resorts" contract with "Disney Transport" for bus service with the cost based on room count and capacity.

(Am I mistaken?)
correct... I agree that busses get full at other resorts at times as well...however, I believe most of the those are guests staying at that resort and it's just disney not sending enough busses at once.

When half or more of the bus is full of non-SSR guests just looking for a way to get to DTD (when disney could easily provide this seperate from the SSR busses), and the busses sent to SSR stops are based on the SSR resort capacity at the time, then I think there is a problem they need to look into
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Disney is not going to pick-up the cost of running buses to/from DtD and the parks, they've made that pretty clear when those buses were discontinued years ago. Disney could start charging for DtD parking for non-onsite guests and non-AP holders...but again, the independent merchants that make up most of DtD would not be happy, and would want a substantial decrease in rent payments. Plus it would require employees to man the gates, and check validations upon exit...increasing the traffic flow problem they already have at DtD.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Disney is not going to pick-up the cost of running buses to/from DtD and the parks, they've made that pretty clear when those buses were discontinued years ago. Disney could start charging for DtD parking for non-onsite guests and non-AP holders...but again, the independent merchants that make up most of DtD would not be happy, and would want a substantial decrease in rent payments. Plus it would require employees to man the gates, and check validations upon exit...increasing the traffic flow problem they already have at DtD.
even if they charged for parking that wouldn't elminate the biggest problem... park guests boarding SSR busses to get to DTD because that is the easiest route since there aren't any DTD busses

it may be more feasible to very slightly up the rent at DTD for the vendors to pay for the bus transportation from the parks to DTD..if they would be for it
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Yep, as a Disney guest staying at BWV, I'm entitled to take the bus from Magic Kingdom to SSR to walk to DTD if I want. And we have.

I'd rather the bus went straight to DTD, but Disney has decided that encourages people to park at DTD and catch the bus - or for those in the DTD hotels within walking distance to catch the DTD buses.

And people have been complaining about the situation for years.
We just need to convince people to walk/monorail/boat to the nearest resort and take a bus to DTD from that resort. It would spread it out a bit.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #25
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
We just need to convince people to walk/monorail/boat to the nearest resort and take a bus to DTD from that resort. It would spread it out a bit.
I hate to say it, but it would be easier to do what people are doing...bus to SSR then walk to DTD. That walk is shorter than waiting for a second bus, in most cases.

And it wouldn't address the issue if you are at DTD and need to get to a park. That's the situation we were in last week and yes, we walked to SSR to catch a bus. It wasn't crowded (mid-day) but we did have to wait quite a while for the bus there.

DW & I often ask ourselves why Disney allows this to happen. But as Chuck says, in Disney's mind, there really is no issue. They promise transportation to on-site guests but don't say that it will be on time or less than crowded. If these folks are paying park admission and possibly shopping at DTD, then I don't see Disney cracking down on this.

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #26
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

if enough DVC owners at SSR (like myself) complain we're not getting what we pay for / expect at SSR what other members are getting at other DVC resorts they may have to do something...again if enough people make them aware of this problem.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post
if enough DVC owners at SSR (like myself) complain we're not getting what we pay for . . .
1) You ARE getting what your paid for.
2) The buses are paid from the maintenance fees.
3) If you want more buses, you will pay more fees.
4) You cannot stop people riding to get to DTD.
5) So, one must simply get used it.
6) It has been a problem, and will probably stay the same.
7) Or, get worse.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #28
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

OP - you said that you have used the buses to get to other resorts to get to your dining reservations. Using the same logic as you, you are using the seats intended for guests of those resorts as well. Same thing. Guests do NOT have to be staying on site to take the busses. They are for anyone with a multi-day park ticket. Personally, I loathe the buses so I rent a car unless I am staying in one of the Epcot resorts where I can walk to 2 parks and take the monorail to 1.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I'm a fan of "the most efficient Disney transportation path" and from the MK I would walk to the CR and then take a DTD bus to DTD. I'm trying to remember the bus we did take that dropped us off at SSR - it might have been the MK one because I didn't understand how long the walk was (it was a LONG walk), but it was more likely the AK bus or perhaps the Studios. From Epcot it would have been BW. Unless I had a little brain snafu.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post
if enough DVC owners at SSR (like myself) complain we're not getting what we pay for / expect at SSR what other members are getting at other DVC resorts they may have to do something...again if enough people make them aware of this problem.
Members have been complaining about this for a long time, they are aware of it.

I'm not happy that people park at Boardwalk and go to Epcot, making it hard to find a parking space. Complained many times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: