Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
nolenbelledavis
Earning My Ears

Dying single father wish to go to Disney help?

There was an article in my local newspaper today about a terminally ill single dad, who is just hoping to take his kids to Disney in the few months he has left. I know WDW does lots with the Make a Wish and things like that, does anyone know if there is a way to contact WDW and ask if they would be willing to help out with their trip in any way? Thanks!

Apparently I don't have enough posts to post to the original article, but it's the Norman Transcript (in Oklahoma) and if you search "dying father," it brings up the article as the first choice.
nolenbelledavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

look into this

http://www.dreamfoundation.org/
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
laura428
DIS Veteran

Here it is:

http://normantranscript.com/features...ream-come-true

Sounds like the airlines might be a more appropriate contact, seeing as how everything at Disney has already been addressed. Although Disney does arrange for air travel, too... they might be able to get him to the right people.

I have no idea whom to contact, but hope he and his kids get there very soon so that they can all create wonderful memories in the little time they have left together.
2014 Princess Half Marathon
laura428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Wadecool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolenbelledavis View Post
There was an article in my local newspaper today about a terminally ill single dad, who is just hoping to take his kids to Disney in the few months he has left. I know WDW does lots with the Make a Wish and things like that, does anyone know if there is a way to contact WDW and ask if they would be willing to help out with their trip in any way? Thanks!

Apparently I don't have enough posts to post to the original article, but it's the Norman Transcript (in Oklahoma) and if you search "dying father," it brings up the article as the first choice.
Google "Memories of Love Foundation". They award trips to WDW, Universal, and Sea World to families that have a parent with life threatening illnesses. Give them a call.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Finally08
DIS Veteran

I think Make a Wish only deals with sick children....not adults. I always said I wished there were organizations that did things for children with sick parents, because those children suffer too. Having a sick and or dying parent is not easy on a child.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Wadecool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally08 View Post
I think Make a Wish only deals with sick children....not adults. I always said I wished there were organizations that did things for children with sick parents, because those children suffer too. Having a sick and or dying parent is not easy on a child.
The foundation I mentioned previously, Memories of Love, does just that. It is a very cool thing.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
michelle06
DIS Veteran

Inheritance of Hope

My friend's family was able to go to Disney through Inheritance of Hope. They specifically do things for dying parents so the children have memories. So, rather than an organization that specializes in wishes for children, it's more for dying adults who have children.
http://inheritanceofhope.org/
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadecool View Post
Google "Memories of Love Foundation". They award trips to WDW, Universal, and Sea World to families that have a parent with life threatening illnesses. Give them a call.
The article says "Memories of Love" is already providing the time in WDW, he really needs the transportation to get there/airfare

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
Wadecool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
The article says "Memories of Love" is already providing the time in WDW, he really needs the transportation to get there/airfare
Ok, I just read the article. Hopefully, someone can help that family raise the transportation money. They definitely deserve that trip!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

How Terrible I was so sad reading this knowing how many of us have been to Disney not just once but many many times! I really hope this family make it to Disney it said in the article you can donate to the bank that the friends have set-up is their any info on how much they have managed to raise so far? I would love to donate I'm just wondering how I would do it from the UK!?
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
chiamarie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally08 View Post
That's actually untrue. A couple of years ago, my Uncle was dying of Cancer. There was someone he knew from church who was involved with Make A Wish who wanted to grant him a wish. It took awhile for my uncle to comply; but he wished for a laptop, to make getting online and to edit photos (photography being a big hobby of his) alot easier on him. So, no it wasn't a trip to Disney, but he still was able to make a wish and have it come true.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiamarie View Post
That's actually untrue. A couple of years ago, my Uncle was dying of Cancer. There was someone he knew from church who was involved with Make A Wish who wanted to grant him a wish. It took awhile for my uncle to comply; but he wished for a laptop, to make getting online and to edit photos (photography being a big hobby of his) alot easier on him. So, no it wasn't a trip to Disney, but he still was able to make a wish and have it come true.

I'm surprised...we contacted them years ago when my dh was first diagnosed and were told they only granted wishes for children.
eta: I wonder if the wish was granted because of the friend from church...may not have really been make a wish that did it.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Finally08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
dmband
DIS Veteran

Make. Wish is 100% kids only
The only time they will grant a wish to someone over 17 is if they were to sick for the wish when they where under age
On a side note I just helped raise over 8k for our local make a wish, they said the average wish cost 6k and where really pleased with our effort
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

You or someone in the community could always start a ChipIn fund online. Just google it and sign up! That way anyone can donate any amount they want to in order to help. Just an idea

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: