Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far! That footlong does look pretty good. You have me craving hot dogs right now I can't wait to read more.

October 2013 Port Orleans Resort
May 2013 Animal Kingdom Kidani
October 2012 Art of Animation
January 2012 Port Orleans Resort
June 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2010 All Star Sports
archdandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by archdandy View Post
Great reviews so far! That footlong does look pretty good. You have me craving hot dogs right now I can't wait to read more.
Thanks for stopping by !! I know, I just love hot dogs, especially really good ones. And these were
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lunch Ė our plan was to have lunch at Flame Tree Barbeque. We got over there and discovered it didnít open until eleven. By this time the park was starting get a good crowd going. So we decided to wait for Flame Tree BBQ to open and have lunch

Some photos while we waited for the restaurant to open.

We lined up outside the restaurant.

Well I stood in line and DH and the kids went to scope out a table. When the restaurant opened they played a little song and clapped and stuff. DH remarked they we were present for Flame Tree BBQ rope drop. I thought that was funny.

So we used counter service credits and got DD a kids hot dog

Which apparently I didnít get a photo of. I know, I know ... BAD Disser !!

DS the BBQ half chicken

He had removed the baked beans and cole slaw from the plate before I took the photo. Said he wasnít eating that.

DH and I shared the chicken and ribs.

I liked the chicken and the ribs. The meat was tender and the BBQ flavoring was good. But he beans and cole slaw were just OK. I thought they were too sweet tasting.

I also got us some onion rings to share.

These were really good and were gone almost immediately.

He had already eaten half of them by the time I took this photo.

We also got chocolate mousse (didnít get a photo) for dessert and it was icky. Something about the consistency of it just grossed me out. I mean mousse is supposed to be somewhat firm in texture and this was just too soupy.

Anyway, lunch here was just OK. I am not sure we will go back. The meat and the onion rings were good.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
gogo
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your photos and reviews. We're staying at the Boardwalk in January, so glad to see the pictures!
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Dinner - We headed over to Yacht Club for our 5:15 ADR for Captain’s Grille.

As soon as the restaurant opened, we got seated. There were several people trying to get in to eat without a reservation. Here, that didn’t seem to be too much of a problem, but I am sure that other places, it definitely was.

Our server was Eric and he was wonderful !! He brought us some multi-grain bread. Which I will say … just wasn’t that good. Not much flavor to it.

We ordered an Eco-tini - VeeV Acai liqueur, triple sec, agave nectar, ginger and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Served with a souvenir Acai Seed bracelet It was fun and very good and citrus-y. Very enjoyable. I just love martinis and this one wasn’t too sweet. It had a nice tart citrus flavor.

DD ordered the glowing character punch. Minute Maid Light Lemonade Punch served
in a souvenir cup with a glowing Disney Character Light.

I ordered the Wedge salad. The “Wedge” Baby Iceberg, Chopped Onion, Chopped Egg, Blue Cheese, Bacon, and White Balsamic-Cilantro Vinaigrette

It was very fresh and pretty good. But there was something about the dressing that was just ….. different to me. Our waiter said it had cilantro in it, so maybe I didn’t like that. I would have tasted awesome with blue cheese dressing. Besides the dressing, the rest of the salad was very fresh and tasty.

DS wanted a hamburger but there wasn’t one on the dinner menu. Our waiter said it was no problem, though. He could get us what he wanted.

I had a bite. It was very good. And I just loved those fries. Nice and thick and crispy on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside. Yum !!

DH ordered off the Prix Fixe menu.

He got a salad which was called Green Goddess, but I didn’t get a photo. Green Goddess Salad
Romaine with House-made Green Goddess Dressing and Croutons

And the pan seared chicken. Pan-seared Chicken, White Beans, Smoked Bacon, Braised Greens, and Herb Oil

It came with navy beans and spinach, I think. It was good. I had a bite. The chicken was moist and had a good flavor.

DD ordered the kid’s Meaty Macaroni with ground turkey with marinara sauce topped with mozzarella served with veggies and fruit salad. She asked for the sauce on the side.

Our waiter asked if she wanted some cheese to go with it and she said yes. So he brought her some fresh Parmesan.

Which she loved.

She took some more photos of her cup.

For dessert, DH ordered the turtle cheesecake. Turtle Cheescake with Nougat Candy and House-made Caramel

It was good. I had a bite …. Or three … or more. I just love cheesecake and I especially liked the brittle candy piece on top. Very yummy.

DS just likes vanilla ice cream for dessert. Orders it a lot. Just wants vanilla ice cream.

He borrowed some sprinkles from DD’s kids make your own sundae.

Dinner was good. Not outstanding, but good. But our service was so outstanding that we would go back and just order something else.

Last edited by jecskc; 12-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #22
rznhal
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful family! All smiles!! I love it!

Great reviews! Thanks for sharing!!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and pics! I love a wedge salad and the one from Captains Grille looked great. I also prefer blue cheese dressing

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvstink View Post
Great reviews and pics! I love a wedge salad and the one from Captains Grille looked great. I also prefer blue cheese dressing

Terri
I really liked this salad. I would order it again, but with different dressing. Blue cheese would have been soooo good !! Thanks for stopping by !!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #26
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Question for ya......
We are thinking about skipping the mad bus-rush back to AKL after illuminations and heading over to the Boardwalk for a cup of coffee...I noticed a "boardwalk joes" stand in your pics...do they serve specialty coffee??

me, DH, DD6, DS2
2013-AKL again!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rznhal View Post
Question for ya......
We are thinking about skipping the mad bus-rush back to AKL after illuminations and heading over to the Boardwalk for a cup of coffee...I noticed a "boardwalk joes" stand in your pics...do they serve specialty coffee??
I am pretty sure that they do. The Bakery is open until 11:00 PM as well. Here's a photo of a menu outside Boardwalk Joe's.

It doesn't say coffee on this sign, but the menu on the allears.net website is more detailed, so I am sure you will find something that you like. Here is the link:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_bj.htm

The Boardwalk atmosphere at night is very fun so I know you will enjoy it. and the Screen Door gift shop right there on the Boardwalk stays open until 11:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Day 3 -Thursday, Nov. 24 Ė Thanksgiving Day

Breakfast at Whispering Canyon

We got up at 6:30 AM, got ready and left the resort to get our ADR at Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge at 7:30 AM. The restaurant opened at 7:30 AM and we were the fourth family in line. We were given a buzzer and I went to the lobby and took some photos.

DS went over to the gift shop to trade one his Vinylmation. He got:

We waited for a long time to get seated. At least it seemed long for a 7:30 AM opening and we were the fourth family in line. Several others were getting a little perturbed by it as well. We didnĎt get seated until 7:45 AM and didnít even see our waitress until 7:50 AM It was after 8:00 AM when we got our food. We had hoped to get to MK by a reasonable hour and our hopes of that were quickly dashed. The restaurant was not crowded and there didnít seem to be anything amiss, but breakfast here took too long in my opinion. Our server was very nice and we got good service.

DS took some photos while we waited for our food.

DH and I got a skillet to share.

Canyon Skillet

Scrambled Eggs, roasted Red Potatoes, Bacon, Sausage, Waffles, Buttermilk Biscuits, and Sausage Gravy

DS got a plain waffle and it came with sausage.

Belgian Waffle - with maple butter, candied pecan topping and choice of bacon or sausage

He seemed to like this and ate most of it.

DD got Mickey waffles and bacon.

Pancakes or Mickey Waffles - with whipped butter, served with bacon or sausage

The waffles were really fresh. As if they had just come off of the waffle iron. They were warm and fluffy and we loved them and DD and I ate a lot of them. I puffy heart Mickey waffles !!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #29
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I am pretty sure that they do. The Bakery is open until 11:00 PM as well. Here's a photo of a menu outside Boardwalk Joe's.

It doesn't say coffee on this sign, but the menu on the allears.net website is more detailed, so I am sure you will find something that you like. Here is the link:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_bj.htm

The Boardwalk atmosphere at night is very fun so I know you will enjoy it. and the Screen Door gift shop right there on the Boardwalk stays open until 11:00 PM.
Awesome! Thanks for the info and the link!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
2013-AKL again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: