Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #31
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Room View Post
It is interesting that Disney's own internal announcement chooses its words extremely carefully. Most importantly, it does NOT deny that the California Grill is being renovated, it simply says that there are "no details" regarding any planned renovation, which is consistent with what I had also heard from our CM friend (i.e. CG will be renovated but would reopen as a different themed and purposed restaurant of some kind). In addition, it also states affirmatively that Disney "routinely renovates AND refurbishes" its locations (i.e. a refurbishment of the present location resulting in a new concept).

This silence reinforces what we have been hearing, IMHO.
Without official public confirmation from Walt Disney World itself, it needs to be treated as a rumor. We've been through that before on the boards. Disney changes its mind on a regular basis and CMs on site are often not the most up to date source of information.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #32
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Im another one hoping it is true

After a very poor experience there, we have decided not to return. Such a shame as the CR is where we stay.
It will be nice to have the restaurant as somewhere we would visit again.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I'm sure something will happen change-wise. But again--why tamper with a good thing??
Unless, considering the location, they feel they can put any old thing there and folks will come anyway.

Hope that's not what they're thinking--
OMG Uncle, I hadn't thought that! Oh, my. An upscale Mickey d's would draw like crazy with wdw's target demographic and they could probably charge twenty bucks for a big Mac!

On another note why does anyone wish for CG to close? Arguably the best restaurant on property, Is it just the me, me, me attitude?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #34
jeepwreck
DIS Veteran

we have reservation in feb for this place..

Hello my name is Jeff….. and I am a disoholic!

Me , (DW)Emily , (DS)James
jeepwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #35
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
OMG Uncle, I hadn't thought that! Oh, my. An upscale Mickey d's would draw like crazy with wdw's target demographic and they could probably charge twenty bucks for a big Mac!

On another note why does anyone wish for CG to close? Arguably the best restaurant on property, Is it just the me, me, me attitude?
People have already provided reasons. Declining food and menu quality. Decor and cuisine that are based on a trend and don't feel timeless. The potential for a more modern upscale restaurant. It's quite rude of you to make such a harsh judgment call about people who would be happy for the rumor to be true.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #36
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:

haha I was going to post something similar.... something along the lines of Disney unveiling their revolutionary new concept of a CS signature restaurant (signature in that it costs 2xTS on the DDP, not in the food quality obviously!) with RFID nextgen enabled amazing walk through ordering and collection system.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
People have already provided reasons. Declining food and menu quality. Decor and cuisine that are based on a trend and don't feel timeless. The potential for a more modern upscale restaurant. It's quite rude of you to make such a harsh judgment call about people who would be happy for the rumor to be true.
A single diner's opinion, yours or mine, are meaningless in the big picture. What is significant though is that this restaurant has long and still does receive among the best reviews on property and for people to openly root for an established favorite to fail because they simply didn't like it seems quite selfish to me.

I find it contradictory that you seem to value your views above anyone else's though and then call me rude. I accept that you've had two bad meals and find the decor dated but most people disagree. BUT that doesn't make you wrong, only a little overzealous, IMO.

BTW, while I don't always agree with your reviews I nonetheless enjoy them
very much for their descriptiveness and clarity. I always know why you like or
don't like a restaurant. Sorry I've rubbed you the wrong way.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #38
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

CG was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had. If they close for a refurb that's fine...as long as they don't get rid of the restaurant all together. Hopefully they won't do it until the end of 2012 as we have plans for a dinner there in September.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A single diner's opinion, yours or mine, are meaningless in the big picture. What is significant though is that this restaurant has long and still does receive among the best reviews on property and for people to openly root for an established favorite to fail because they simply didn't like it seems quite selfish to me.

I find it contradictory that you seem to value your views above anyone else's though and then call me rude. I accept that you've had two bad meals and find the decor dated but most people disagree. BUT that doesn't make you wrong, only a little overzealous, IMO.

BTW, while I don't always agree with your reviews I nonetheless enjoy them
very much for their descriptiveness and clarity. I always know why you like or
don't like a restaurant. Sorry I've rubbed you the wrong way.
I'm not rooting for it to fail, I'm rooting for it to be better.

And no, I wouldn't call it selfish. The fact that some people (not necessarily everyone) see California Grill as dated and underwhelming makes it likely that the idea of change has crossed Disney's mind as well. I respect that many people like it, but who's to say they wouldn't like a new restaurant with upscale food even if it's no longer called California Grill? Like I pointed out, California Grill wasn't originally there. A lot of people loved the previous concept, and a lot of people love California Grill. Citricos also replaced an older restaurant, and a lot of people love Citricos. I don't see 90s-inspired California fusion cuisine as timeless (in comparison to, say, a New England steakhouse, an upscale Mediterranean restaurant, a 40's-inspired re-creation of a Hollywood icon, etc). In a place like Disney (where rides, restaurants, and even resorts have gotten name changes and re-themes over the years), a restaurant replacement doesn't imply failure. It's just progress. I accept the fact that other people have fond memories at California Grill; so do I. But a change in name, decor, and menu, if (for the better) could be a positive thing. Just like the rest of Contemporary's refreshment (sleeker room design, The Wave, lobby refurbishment, etc) has been a big success in updating the resort's aesthetic.

I don't value my opinion above anyone else's. I value my right to have an opinion and not be blasted because it contradicts the status quo or majority view. I won't cry if California Grill isn't replaced. But if it's replaced by a concept that doesn't worsen the food à la Cinderella's Royal Table, then I'm in favor of the change.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #40
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
I'm not rooting for it to fail, I'm rooting for it to be better.

And no, I wouldn't call it selfish. The fact that some people (not necessarily everyone) see California Grill as dated and underwhelming makes it likely that the idea of change has crossed Disney's mind as well. I respect that many people like it, but who's to say they wouldn't like a new restaurant with upscale food even if it's no longer called California Grill? Like I pointed out, California Grill wasn't originally there. A lot of people loved the previous concept, and a lot of people love California Grill. Citricos also replaced an older restaurant, and a lot of people love Citricos. I don't see 90s-inspired California fusion cuisine as timeless (in comparison to, say, a New England steakhouse, an upscale Mediterranean restaurant, a 40's-inspired re-creation of a Hollywood icon, etc). In a place like Disney (where rides, restaurants, and even resorts have gotten name changes and re-themes over the years), a restaurant replacement doesn't imply failure. It's just progress. I accept the fact that other people have fond memories at California Grill; so do I. But a change in name, decor, and menu, if (for the better) could be a positive thing. Just like the rest of Contemporary's refreshment (sleeker room design, The Wave, lobby refurbishment, etc) has been a big success in updating the resort's aesthetic.

I don't value my opinion above anyone else's. I value my right to have an opinion and not be blasted because it contradicts the status quo or majority view. I won't cry if California Grill isn't replaced. But if it's replaced by a concept that doesn't worsen the food à la Cinderella's Royal Table, then I'm in favor of the change.
We're getting petty and boring I think so I hope this is my last post on the subject.

I hardly "blasted" anyone but I do find entitlement is always an issue. If that wasn't your intent (I don't think it was) you should not feel my comments were directed at you.

Re: CG it's hardly operating on a dated concept as 'California cuisine' is still at the forefront of modern culinary concepts renowned world wide.

It's totally your right to have a contrary opinion to mine but yours seems based on two bad outings which makes me wonder if you'd had GREAT meals on those trips how would you be feeling.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #41
CoolDisneyKitten
Not like other sheep, arrr!

Quote:
I won't cry if California Grill isn't replaced. But if it's replaced by a concept that doesn't worsen the food à la Cinderella's Royal Table, then I'm in favor of the change.
Agreed. California fusion is old school, and the light fixtures look like cockroaches. To me the restaurant as it is now doesn't live up to the "contemporary" theme of the resort, just like the rooms didn't before the refresh.

I know people have great memories of the restaurant, but an update to both decor and menu is nothin' but the good. I seriously doubt they'll do something like Cinderella's in that space; the Contemporary is a popular resort w/ conventioners, and conventioners want someplace fancy to eat. It would be redundant to put in another character meal there.

I imagine (if they do change it) they'll go with a more modern menu/look for the restaurant, and it'll be better than ever. I doubt they'll want to lose Yoshi, so they'll either move her someplace else or bring her back after the restaurant re-opens.

That's just my two cents. But, overall, I wouldn't get into a tither about it either way until something official is announced. And I do understand where you're all coming from--I was very upset when Kouzzina replaced Spoodles. I like Kouzzina very much, but I still miss Spoodles as it was at its best.

10/90 Howard Johnson DTD~8/91, 12/92 BC~'94 Poly~1/97, 1/98, 3/99 BWV~1/00 Poly~5/01 BWV~1/03 BC~5/03 BWV~4/04 AKL~12/04 VWL~1/05 BWV~3/05 AKL~1/06 BCV~3/07 AKL~5/07 Poly~5/08 SSR/OKW~1/09, 10/09 BCV~5/11 OKW~1/12 AKV Kidani~12/13 BCV/VGF
CoolDisneyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #42
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Maybe they'll bring back Broadway At The Top!
Oh my gosh, I have the most wonderful memories of Broadway at the Top!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #43
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're getting petty and boring I think so I hope this is my last post on the subject.

I hardly "blasted" anyone but I do find entitlement is always an issue. If that wasn't your intent (I don't think it was) you should not feel my comments were directed at you.

Re: CG it's hardly operating on a dated concept as 'California cuisine' is still at the forefront of modern culinary concepts renowned world wide.

It's totally your right to have a contrary opinion to mine but yours seems based on two bad outings which makes me wonder if you'd had GREAT meals on those trips how would you be feeling.
I definitely didn't mean to come across as entitled, and I'm sorry if my tone implied that. But my opinion is still that the Contemporary's signature restaurant could reflect newer culinary trends than something that was big in the 90s. Seasonal and sustainable are some big trends today (which The Wave downstairs reflects). California Grill already claims to utilize market-fresh ingredients, but I think losing the "California fusion" thing could open up some broader possibilities as well. Instead, if they were to focus on contemporary American cuisine with a molecular gastronomy influence (which many of the signatures are already doing in small doses) and redo the decor with sleeker architecture and more muted colors, and I think the restaurant would still be a winner.

And yes, I've had some great meals at California Grill, which is why it disappoints me that two meals in a row haven't wowed (most other signatures at least go up and down when they're inconsistent). Spoodles was another restaurant that I once loved, but by the time it closed I was happy to see it go because quality had gone downhill IMO. That said, I'm not that impressed by its replacement, but I think Disney really could pull off an amazing refreshment of California Grill if they decided to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDisneyKitten View Post
Agreed. California fusion is old school, and the light fixtures look like cockroaches. To me the restaurant as it is now doesn't live up to the "contemporary" theme of the resort, just like the rooms didn't before the refresh.

I know people have great memories of the restaurant, but an update to both decor and menu is nothin' but the good. I seriously doubt they'll do something like Cinderella's in that space; the Contemporary is a popular resort w/ conventioners, and conventioners want someplace fancy to eat. It would be redundant to put in another character meal there.

I imagine (if they do change it) they'll go with a more modern menu/look for the restaurant, and it'll be better than ever. I doubt they'll want to lose Yoshi, so they'll either move her someplace else or bring her back after the restaurant re-opens.

That's just my two cents. But, overall, I wouldn't get into a tither about it either way until something official is announced. And I do understand where you're all coming from--I was very upset when Kouzzina replaced Spoodles. I like Kouzzina very much, but I still miss Spoodles as it was at its best.
I love your description of the dining room. The colors and patterns in the dining room very much align with Contemporary's room design from the mid-90s to 2005 (which featured jarring rainbow colors, zebra patterns, and cheap-looking furniture; I actually thought they were hideous). Granted, California Grill is designed a lot more tastefully than CR's old rooms, but I still think an update could help the restaurant match CR's new style.

California Grill isn't the only restaurant that people miss. People also have good memories of Top of the World (the original one) and Papeete Bay Verandah (pre-Ohana). I have good memories of Tusker House and it was a raved-about counter service location; I'm happy for the people who enjoy it as a character restaurant (those people aren't happy because I no longer enjoy it; they're happy because they like the new concept. I think that's the best parallel, and I wouldn't say anyone is selfish for appreciating the new concept).
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #44
melmlantz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
how I wish others would have such insight!! (not on this thread).

Perspective is so interesting. PPs have mentioned the oh-so-90s () decor... and then I suddenly realize one more reason why I love it so much!! I feel *so* comfortable and happy there, in addition to enjoying the service and the meal (and the view, and the fireworks...). I'm a 90s child! Not like these kids born in 1992 (who are 19. oh my god.) who "think" they grew up in the 90s . I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s. The 90s on 9 is ALWAYS on my Sirius radio. So if the CG theme is so very 90s, I say, please don't change!

That, and, I hate change. Seriously. Especially Disney change. I like routine, and I live for nostalgia.

Me(26) DH(29) Rajah Jasmine Gizmo Echo

1993: Off-site*
1998: ASM*2005: CBR*2006: Pop*2008: WL!*2011: OKW Christmas Trip*
melmlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

We ate at CG the last night of our honeymoon - it was the most delicious, memorable, beautiful meal. We made it tradition and close our trip with CG each time now. I will be heartbroken if it is changed...

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: