Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Lesia
Mouseketeer

Where to go for lunch on Dream on embarkation day?

This is our first disney cruise, we leave next Sunday!! Woohoo!!!!

What is a good place to go for lunch, other than the crowded place? I don't even know all the names yet.

Thanks.
Lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You will have 2 choices--Cabanas where people will not realize that it is a "scatter" system among the various areas and will think you are cutting the buffet "line" or the more traditional "buffet" system where your drinks will be served but you will get up to get your drinks (name escapes me at the moment).

We prefer the sit down atmosphere of Parrot Cay on the Magic and Wonder. Yes, the food is buffet, but a server will bring us our beverages...and we're in no hurry to hit the pool.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
goofystitchfan
SSR Owners

They will let you know what is opened. We went to the place having the buffet on the same deck as the pool and didn't find it crowded (sorry mind is a blank as to the name). We didn't get there til about 2-2:30 though. Have a fantastic trip!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
You will have 2 choices--Cabanas where people will not realize that it is a "scatter" system among the various areas and will think you are cutting the buffet "line" or the more traditional "buffet" system where your drinks will be served but you will get up to get your drinks (name escapes me at the moment). I know you mean get up to get your drinks, name is Enchanted Garden.

We prefer the sit down atmosphere of Parrot Cay on the Magic and Wonder. Yes, the food is buffet, but a server will bring us our beverages...and we're in no hurry to hit the pool.
We did Cabana's for lunch on embarkation day last time. kcashner is right - people will not realize there is no "line" and will give you dirty looks for "cutting" when there is not a single person at the green beans. Drinks are self-serve, although waiters will come around and collect your plates and ask if you need anything. On the plus side, it's a great view, and you can even eat outside. Enchanted Garden stops serving lunch at 2:00, so if you board the ship after that you will only have Cabana's. We thought for our second cruise we would try Enchanted Garden, we really enjoyed dinner there. But I have heard it is more crowded and you feel liked you are "herded" down there. We have an 11:00 port arrival time so I am hoping for boarding group #2 and maybe it won't be so crowded!
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
mom2brooke76
Proud Redhead who doesn't think that Universal is the most wonderful place on earth!

If you happen to have younger kids, I would either eat at Cabanas or at one of the fast food places on the pool deck. We at at Enchanted Garden, and our experience was that the buffet was not very kid friendly. It had mostly seafood items. It did have mashed potatoes, but that was about the only "kid friendly" thing if your kids like items like chicken fingers, pizza, mac & cheese, etc. There have been reports of asking servers and getting those items there, but that was not my experience after asking several servers and the manager.

The internet: A system of computers linked together to send garbage back and forth and spread rumors.
mom2brooke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2brooke76 View Post
If you happen to have younger kids, I would either eat at Cabanas or at one of the fast food places on the pool deck. We at at Enchanted Garden, and our experience was that the buffet was not very kid friendly. It had mostly seafood items. It did have mashed potatoes, but that was about the only "kid friendly" thing if your kids like items like chicken fingers, pizza, mac & cheese, etc. There have been reports of asking servers and getting those items there, but that was not my experience after asking several servers and the manager.
I no longer have a little one, so didn't really look...but on the Magic and Wonder there is a separate kid-friendly buffet table. Anyone can eat from any of the tables, but there is a separate one with mac and cheese, chicken fingers, spaghetti type pasta, etc. It is to one side of the table with the breads and fresh made salad. I honestly don't know if the Dream has this table or not...but can't imagine why not.

And thanks--yes, I mean that they would serve your drinks but you get up to get food from the buffet.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I no longer have a little one, so didn't really look...but on the Magic and Wonder there is a separate kid-friendly buffet table. Anyone can eat from any of the tables, but there is a separate one with mac and cheese, chicken fingers, spaghetti type pasta, etc. It is to one side of the table with the breads and fresh made salad. I honestly don't know if the Dream has this table or not...but can't imagine why not.

And thanks--yes, I mean that they would serve your drinks but you get up to get food from the buffet.
IIRC, the Enchanted Garden buffet does not have a kids section. Not sure what they have at Cabanas (where they will try to send you), but the boarding buffet in the Dream's EG falls far short of the boarding buffets on the Wonder and Magic that we have experienced.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Last edited by Jestocost; 12-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
izzinmac
DIS Veteran

On the Wonder and Magic, the offerings at Parrot Cay were equal to the Topsiders/Beach Blanket offerings. So there it was a choice of whether you wanted beverage service and buffet vs cafeteria line style. We always chose PC. On my two Dream cruises we did Enchanted Garden on the first, and Cabanas on the second. Unfortunately, EG offerings were woefully short of what was available at Cabanas. So in the future, as things now stand, Cabanas is our first choice.
Regarding the line versus cutting issue, we had no problem with that on either cruise. Disney is their own worst enemy on this because the direct you forward when you enter Cabanas from the Elevators. And people coming from the pool deck come in at that end, too. So a line tends to form at the first station, which is Italian food. ( Pizza, pasta,etc). It tends to disperse as you head aft. We always went aft, and started working our way forward. The carving station was aft, and we found that going against the grain made line issues minimal. We were never rude or pushy, and had no issues. If people were glaring, I wasn't looking
izzinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
williamsfamily
Earning My Ears

We were in boarding group #2 for the Dream and were on board before noon. Cabanas does not open until noon. Enchanted Garden was already open and serving.

We opted to head up to Deck 11 anyway, checked out everything, and then headed to Cabanas when it opened at noon. No lines or dirty looks--we were some of the first there!
williamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
izzinmac
DIS Veteran

On the Wonder and Magic, the offerings at Parrot Cay were equal to the Topsiders/Beach Blanket offerings. So there it was a choice of whether you wanted beverage service and buffet vs cafeteria line style. We always chose PC. On my two Dream cruises we did Enchanted Garden on the first, and Cabanas on the second. Unfortunately, EG offerings were woefully short of what was available at Cabanas. So in the future, as things now stand, Cabanas is our first choice.
Regarding the line versus cutting issue, we had no problem with that on either cruise. Disney is their own worst enemy on this because the direct you forward when you enter Cabanas from the Elevators. And people coming from the pool deck come in at that end, too. So a line tends to form at the first station, which is Italian food. ( Pizza, pasta,etc). It tends to disperse as you head aft. We always went aft, and started working our way forward. The carving station was aft, and we found that going against the grain made line issues minimal. We were never rude or pushy, and had no issues. If people were glaring, I wasn't looking
izzinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

From all of these reviews, I think we will stick to Cabana's. DH is not a big seafood fan, and we do have two little ones.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I always seem to read mixed reviews on the best place to head to lunch on the Dream, and while I know tastes are entirely subjective, I guess I'm looking for the least hectic option.

It's just myself and my parents, so no kids. We have a noon arrival time at the port for our Jan 15th cruise. It only takes us about 50 minutes to get from our house to the port, so I expect we'll probably arrive a little early since my father is diabetic and will need to eat lunch sooner rather than later. Coincidentally, we love seafood, so would EG be a good option to avoid glares and chaos by uniformed passengers? Those without kids, which do you prefer?
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: